Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

I like hinted Sonamy, but that's it. I don't think I could ever see Sonic in an actual relationship, especially with the way Sonic games are written.

Also, about Sonic being "shy" about romance...

I don't see Sonic as being too shy about liking Amy, but actually being too proud. Sonic is supposed to be the epitome of coolness; liking your stalker isn't exactly the coolest thing to admit to. He hides his feelings because he knows it's a little weird to like a crazy person like Amy. Sonic also tends to push Amy away more when others are around. It explains why he seems to be embarrassed/exasperated by her presence some of the time.

After he saves her in Unleashed, Sonic seemed to be a little insecure about letting Amy see him again. He stood behind her for a while, but he didn't decide to run away until he realized she was going to look at him. I think the fact that he briefly looked to the ground before leaving indicates his insecurity. Because even though he was Sonic on the inside, he wasn't normal, cool Sonic on the outside. Sonic feels like he must always be cool.

Again, in Unleashed, Chip actually hints that Sonic likes someone. Based on their interactions in the game, and the fact that Sonic can agree or disagree to go on a date with her, one would assume that it's Amy. Refer to 0:32

Chip says "Is there somebody you like, Sonic? Is there?! There is! Who is it?!"

...But all that is just the way I personally see Sonamy.

Edited by originalusername

I had almost forgotten to respond to this.

Ever heard of defence mechanisms in psychology class? Sonic is clearly a case of "denial" right there. Because of his lack of habitus (because of his ability to run at the speed of sound), he's well capable of denial without dealing the consequences of it. In some way or another, things are gonna backfire big time. And for the sake of realism, Sonic must have some subconscious affection for her because of evolutionary standpoints. If that's "sexualizing" him, then you're not experienced in life at all.

Do you really think the writing in this series is smart enough for that? They can't even decide if the moon is destroyed or not.

And for the sake of realism, Sonic must have some subconscious affection for her because of evolutionary standpoints.
...what?

In reference to the topic of Sonic/Blaze, I think some pretty obvious romantic implications were already made during the final cutscene of Sonic Rush.

They both seem reluctant to leave eachother, and that segment after Sonic says "Wait" in which nothing is really said and Blaze is apparently shocked, it's possible that what Sonic "gave" Blaze was either a hug or maybe even a kiss. However, I've seen other speculations which say that it was a promise of reunion or whatever. Blaze also seems to be fondly regarding Sonic after they've parted ways. And personally, I think the music really sets the MOOD if you catch my drift.

I've always liked to believe that it was implied that it was some sort of physical gesture, too (i.e.: a hug or a kiss), rather than just a "promise" or something. The more I think about it, the more it seems likely. If Sonic just stated a promise of some sort, it would have been spoken in the text, right? Besides, why would Blaze seem so shocked at a spoken promise? I really can't see what else would have shocked her so much if it wasn't a hug/kiss.

Psh, not that I ship SonicxBlaze or anything. Nope. Not at all. No way. wink.png

I've always liked to believe that it was implied that it was some sort of physical gesture, too (i.e.: a hug or a kiss), rather than just a "promise" or something. The more I think about it, the more it seems likely. If Sonic just stated a promise of some sort, it would have been spoken in the text, right?

I think that the whole idea behind the cryptic text was to let the player imagine, you know? As in, you can depict it however you want to. So it could be something platonic such as a promise of reunion, or something more romantic like a hug or kiss, depending on where you stand or how you interpret it or whatever. At least that's what I would assume.

• Thumbs Up 2

About the ending of Sonic Rush... people say there was an action implied there, but I don't really see it...

I mean, the cutscene is animated, I see what the characters are doing, the only thing I see implied there is the romantic subtext, all I saw them doing was that:

400_F_10514571_Plff0Lsm7flgyKXRaZ1xfuW4Ke6Ng5nw.jpg

it's rather romantic-ish, but not really a kiss or something, at least I feel staring at each others eyes it's romantic just enough to imply the subtext, it's one of that interactions that makes viewers go "goddamnit just kiss already you two !"

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, to make it short. His ability to run at the speed of sound makes him an irresponsible jerk, because he always knows he just can run away from problems, even if it is problems that needs to be solved, like a relationship, for example. What teaches that us? That it's A-OK to ignore love because you know you have abilities that can save the world? Yeah, Idiocracy ain't far away.

....How is Sonic running away from a relationship he's not in? Secondly, the only reason he runs from Amy is because she's annoyingly clingly and obsessive, and at times, extremely violent.

If there was a kiss between Sonic and Blaze (or maybe even a hug), wouldn't they act more interested in each other when they met again in Rush Adventure? Or there would at least be some awkwardness between them if they didn't want to confront it. Instead, they just acted like good friends.

Edited by originalusername

I don't know if it's like that because of playing safe, Japanese culture or conformity to American culture that made that anti climax possible. Do you know anything about that?

It's not an anti-climax just because there isn't a romance.

Are you being serious when you're saying that?

Bro-tudes like that is out of the house, man. It's 2012 FFS!

Romance shall be confronted and tolerated in gaming.

You as an (possibly grown-up) audience should be able to handle that.

What am I even doing in this thread?

He's saying romance isn't needed to make an interesting relationship, it's simply a facet and nothing more.

*puts on my Jon Stewart outfit*

Are you being serious when you're saying that?

Bro-tudes like that is out of the house, man. It's 2012 FFS!

Romance shall be confronted and tolerated in gaming.

You as an (possibly grown-up) audience should be able to handle that.

What am I even doing in this thread?

I never said I had anything against it, just that it is not necessary.

That's a pretty soulless and boring relationship then. It's like putting out the anger from a fight. They're both needed to become epic and memorable.

A friendship is soulless and boring? Why does everything need to turn into a romance to be interesting?

Might as well have Sonic bang all of his friends if that's the case.

Edited by Homem
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now you're over-sexualizing it. I predicted that.

There's something called "innuendos" that's pretty efficient in establishing romance. Two individuals just talking romantic to each other with minimal body language. Teasing, yes, but fun.

You missed the point completely. Why can't they simply be friends? Give me a reason as to why that is "soulless and boring".

Because that's ain't the case of the topic. "...a romantic relationship (or..."

Be lagom. That's the best advice I can give you.

I think you misinterpreted the title, then. It's not "Sonic needs a romance, how should it go?"; it is "Should Sonic have a romance?". You regard that Blaze and Sonic didn't kiss at the end of Rush being an anti-climax (as well as "soulless and boring") as a fact, which leaves little room for discussion.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think you misinterpreted the title, then. It's not "Sonic needs a romance, how should it go?"; it is "Should Sonic have a romance?". You regard that Blaze and Sonic didn't kiss at the end of Rush being an anti-climax (as well as "soulless and boring") as a fact, which leaves little room for discussion.

Well, this scene:

tricks you into thinking the characters were going to kiss, but they don't kiss do they? all you have left is the slight feeling that these characters have a thing for each other.

and then what happened later?

booom. Sonic Team confirms the characters have indeed the hots for the other, and a kiss was not needed at all.

What i'm saying is that a kiss is not what creates romantic tension in a scene, is the antecipation of it that creates, the kiss itself just solves it.

you don't need to solve the romantic tension, to have the romance to be present at all, same goes for the scene in Rush.

Edited by Anti Alias

^ Indeed. I do believe that's the best way to portray all romance in Sonic: subtly. That is, actually, what I was going at with my previous posts.

Although... I was wondering what effects a relationship would have on Sonic himself if it ever went past that. Certainly he would have to change to suit it; while it would probably be a difficult proccess considering his spirit, Sonic would have to become more mature. This, of course, is purely hypothetical, as I wouldn't imagine him getting into a serious long-term relationship anytime soon. But it's interesting to think what would happen if he did.

Wait, Sonic and Blaze kiss at the end of Sonic Rush? The hell...?

That honestly doesn't seem like Sonic's syle, but ok....

Although... I was wondering what effects a relationship would have on Sonic himself if it ever went past that. Certainly he would have to change to suit it; while it would probably be a difficult proccess considering his spirit, Sonic would have to become more mature. This, of course, is purely hypothetical, as I wouldn't imagine him getting into a serious long-term relationship anytime soon. But it's interesting to think what would happen if he did.

It's interesting you ask that question. I notice now that when people suggest that Sonic can have a relationship, it's never at the expense of his habits or character; rather, people are all the more willing to find ways around him having to sacrifice anything of note to be in one, usually by suggesting a character who can merely put up with his habits or travel with him on their own accord, or something to that effect. At which point I say, that's not an interesting or empathetic romantic relationship, or even much of one at all. After all, the tension between Knuckles and Rouge is interesting in large part because their reflective lifestyles would make a potential relationship very difficult to go through with in the first place, but their feelings exist for each other regardless. There's an implication there that sacrifice and work would be needed to make it work for them if they ever decided to go through with that, and that makes it interesting.

^It was a implied.

Did they even have that much romantic subtext going on in that game?

I thought they spent most of it at odds with eachother.

Did they even have that much romantic subtext going on in that game?

I thought they spent most of it at odds with eachother.

it doesn't make lot's of logical sense in the game, kinda like Knuckles and Rouge, but the odds are better for Sonic and Blaze in the things that make romance work, shit like rapport, trust, compliance, intimacy and such... they actually formed a pretty strong bond.

Edited by Anti Alias

If Sonic actually did make a move on her, then he's definetly not shy, which means he might not have storng feelings for Amy after all.

Neither Sonic nor Blaze lean in for a kiss at the end of Rush. I'm looking at it again, and all I see is Blaze finally opening up, hence the hesitant offer of a handshake.

If the former was the case though, why wasn't there any tension between them in the sequel? The lack of any between Knuckles and Rouge following SA2 can be explained by the abysmal characterisation from Heroes to '06, but there was no reason for Rush Adventure to dismiss the alleged romantic feeling between Sonic and Blaze.

Edited by Pawn Crackers

I'd call it a hell of a stretch to say they kissed at the end of Rush, considering in the animation afterwards they shake hands. A kiss would be too much considering Blaze is only just starting to open up at that point.

• Thumbs Up 2