Awoo.

Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype

Detective Shadzter

May Day! May Day! my msn is gone!

Yup... nearly 14 years of getting email alerts, or having a giant fat cat avatar ended today... sigh...

Why doesn't skype have email alerts... =(

May Day! May Day! my msn is gone!

Yup... nearly 14 years of getting email alerts, or having a giant fat cat avatar ended today... sigh...

Why doesn't skype have email alerts... =(

^^^Look above Hogfather, I posted a temporary cure to this.^^^

Same to you Jez.

Thanks, but decided it was just prolonging the inevitable.

Though one thing I wasn't happy about. I got the 'a new version of windows messenger is available'

Followed by 'Upgrade? Yes, no'

Clicked no.

Then got 'downloading new update.'

Yeah cheers microsoft, just try to install software on my system without my permission why don't you.

Also if anyone wants email notifications. http://thesz.diecru.eu/content/howard.php It scans your emails every 5 min and gives you an alert, similar to how msn used to do it.

I've switched over to Trillian for now, has almost all the functionality of skype with less than half the processing power, and I can see my messenger contacts, unlike Skype where I'm still getting just a blank (lack of) list on my "Messenger" contacts category.  And I can use Trillian in full-screen games like Steam's overlay!

The only annoyance is I can't see any way to make Trillian only notify me of customised words.  I have the SSMB chat only notify me when certain words are said, but on trillian I can only generically choose "notify me when someone says my name", applying to ALL group chats, not just the SSMB.

And since my skype name is jez-mm and my Trillian name is jez.mm... neither are really going to be things people refer to me by in chat so yeah.

Alright cool, to each their own I guess.

But if you don't mind sharing that link around to people who do miss their Messenger, that'd be great. :)

But it's a temporary solution. At some point, the whole service will be shut off and then what?

It's better to just move on now, then to install a 3rd party mod, which can only save your Messenger until March next year.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Skype better release some kind of GDK soon so that clients like aMSN, Emescene, and Pidgin can work on having better Skype functionality.

Like I said, to each their own Suzy. Skype isn't that great right now its still very lacking and until it gets updated enough so it gets the same features of the service its trying to cut off, then its not worth it to me to upgrade to skype.

March of next year seems like plenty of time for them to upgrade the client enough to estlibash all of not most of the missing features. Until then I'll use my zombie messenger while looking for a good 3rd party client that suits my needs. smile.png

Btw, I'm going to be trying Pidgin. what do I need in terms of mods and plugins to make this as much like WLM as possible?

Edited by goku262002

• 2 months later...

Well... sometime later.

Been using skype daily since it forced me to shut down windows (without the CPR method to recover it). I like it... but... would be my answer to it.

I hate the fact I don't get email alerts and have to use an alternative piece of software to get them now which feels like a huge step back, and the fact they've still not input some kind of email alert into skype is baffling. (no really, is there no way or have I missed an obvious function?)

Skype is nice, it's easilly more advanced than MSN was, but, saying that, msn did everything I needed it to. I lasted as long as I could, but finally decided to remove msn, go so sick of that 'windows update is available message each time I turned on my machine.

And so a huge part of my early internet life ends.

*begins to play some fitting music*