Awoo.

Microsoft ditches Windows Live Messenger for Skype

Detective Shadzter

It's strange, I can use skype to log into either my msn contact list or just the skype one.

Either way I still hate it, just want my email notifications.

0:07 here in the UK.

And thats it. It's gone.

Well... sorta.

I am still logged in. Everybody is showing as offline... but we're not. We can still send messages to each other. Just chatting with someone now on it, and it still works.

Edit: Email notifications still work.

Edit 2: Lol sign in, then sign out, everybody is showing up again =p

Someone should test and see if Windows Messenger is effected by this too once the shutoff happens.

Edited by goku262002

I heard about this happening, but didn't know exactly when it would occur. I mean, I moved on to AIM and eventually Skype, which I use now but mostly because that's what my friends did as well and I just needed a way to communicate. Of all three, though, I've definitely used Windows Live Messenger the most throughout time, so it really is a shame to see this go away..

81292232939800pxdawnofa.jpg

And yep I'm still logged in too.  I never turn off my PC though so I dunno if this'll be a case where the moment I do and/or my internet conks out, it won't let me back in?  Unless it actually shuts off on the 9th and 8th is the last full day.

I've switched my laptop off many times and I can still log in, it just takes a few minutes longer than usual.

Maybe this is an elaborate rue and it wasn't 100% accurate? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, despite WLM going down, remember that it's just the client going down. When that happens I'm going to be using trillian as a replacement for WLM.

Also sending screen shots is that much easier in trillian as well.

Edited by Jetronic

Hey guys, despite WLM going down, remember that it's just the client going down. When that happens I'm going to be using trillian as a replacement for WLM.

Also sending screen shots is that much easier in trillian as well.

Actually the sign-in servers are going too. Maybe not as soon as official clients for third party, but the idea is that the entire network will be gone ASAP.

So I honestly wouldn't cling to the MSN network really (Pst. Trillian can use Skype's networks anyway)

Edited by DarkOverord

Yeah I'm still logged in too. seems strange, maybe they are giving us the full day or something?

Yeah I'm still logged in too. seems strange, maybe they are giving us the full day or something?

I think it'll be a case of, you're logged in till you log out, and then when you try and sign in with a first party client, it will tell you that you can no-longer log in.

I think it'll be a case of, you're logged in till you log out, and then when you try and sign in with a first party client, it will tell you that you can no-longer log in.

Nope just tried it, I can still login and out. so were not looking at a Halo 2 situation.

Nope just tried it, I can still login and out. so were not looking at a Halo 2 situation.

Also, it's retired from today, not all at once today ;P I suspect it'll be up proper till US West Coast Midnight.

Nope, dawn of the 2nd new day and were all still able to login.

I think we have been trolled gentlemen.

Guys, I think you got the memo wrong. Microsoft said they will start migrating users to Skype from April 8th, 2013. There are over 330 million accounts for them to go through. There is no simple switch to turn off Messenger instantly for all these users, especially when Microsoft still wants the Messenger service to be fully operational in China.

It's like Facebook, every new feature they add wouldn't instantly come on your account. You'll have to wait until their systems with the new upgrade comes to a database which holds your details and apply it on your account as well as other accounts in that database.

Some people already have the service gone. You guys will eventually lose access, hey you may still have your account open in June! But one day, you'll eventually get a notice saying you must move to Skype.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Its already saying I have to move to Skype, I'm just choosing to ignore that. :P

From various chatter I'm looking at, the full transition from Messenger to Skype is scheduled to take between April 8 and April 30. We will see where we are at in May but in the meantime, login when you can!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried to log in tonight and it gave me a "You must install this update to continue" message. Trying to re-install it tells me that it's already installed, and the folder for it in Program Files is blank. Looks like that's all, folks. sad.png

...unless you're in Canada or some other country. A friend of mine up there didn't get a message like that. Jealousy rising...

Fuck...

So I was forced to "upgrade" from Windows Live Messenger...and this is pretty ridiculous. It doesn't feel like an upgrade at all, not to mention, it feels rather messy at times. They really shouldn't break what doesn't need fixing.

Edited by Xenn

I checked MSN today. It pretty much redirected me towards Skype, which I already had installed, and made me migrate my two accounts.

Am I the only one who misses messenger? 

I used to have so many great times on it and it was "less annoying" than Facebook (if you know what I mean) It was fantastic, a great chatty program. NIce & Simple and it could only be annoying if you could do it on purpose .

I'd love to give that a go, goku2. I wish that could work for mac users.

Edited by AzureHedgehog

Less annoying than Facebook? How exactly? I prefer Facebook to MSN. More features, and someone can message me and it will notify me on my phone (if you hate that you can always edit your notifications).

Don't migrate yet!

Fight the man, use this:

http://messengergeek.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/use-messenger-reviver-2-to-bring-back-messenger-and-beat-skype/

Just tried it and it works!! Messenger is still kicking in my books.

Well it's kind of useless if your friends don't want to install such modifications on their computer.

Less annoying than Facebook? How exactly? I prefer Facebook to MSN. More features, and someone can message me and it will notify me on my phone (if you hate that you can always edit your notifications).

Well it's kind of useless if your friends don't want to install such modifications on their computer.

I only find Facebook annoying when it keeps on telling me "[insert friend here] liked your post", because I can find that out for myself,  or when it automatically subscribes me to every conversation I post in on someone's wall so every time I do I always have to click "unfollow" if I don't want to be a part in a huge discussion about something but just commented on the page to say something nice, for example.

I can't figure out how to change those two settings in the "Nots" menu. If I can then it'd be less annoying to me, otherwise that it's completely useful for getting in touch with my friends and stuff. So that's good.

Edited by AzureHedgehog

Thats fine, it seems that you and your friends are facebook only types. that messenger is ok for a basic one but I wouldn't go and say its better or has more features then MSN, for 1 thing you need to be tied to a browser like how Web WLM/MSN messenger was.