Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

2 hours ago, SonicWindAttack said:

This statement blew up when I posted it on Twitter, so:

Shadow is not an "edgelord" by any stretch of the imagination. He's reserved, soft-spoken and introspective, but he's not some emo punk. Any angst or introversion you see from him is a result of past trauma rather than any desire to be "edgy".

I once saw some idiot on a blog complaining about the Sonic characters, years ago, say that Espio was "emo".

Like seriously. 

Sometimes people just need to have a certain feeling just looking at someone and it'll be enough to throw any term they want around. 

• Nice Smile 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SonicWindAttack said:

Any angst or introversion you see from him is a result of past trauma rather than any desire to be "edgy".

Good job, you described almost every single character that Shadow the Hedgehog shares traits with.

20 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Good job, you described almost every single character that Shadow the Hedgehog shares traits with.

Is this sarcasm?  I'm sorry, I honestly can't tell.

Is this sarcasm?  I'm sorry, I honestly can't tell. 

That's just something obvious, people will still disagree because the angst and "edginess" comes from the general writing of the character anyway.

Also bias means that people have double standards on certain characters who're written like that.

Somewhat unpopular:

Shadow is easily the most interesting and fleshed out character in the entire franchise and has a unique relationship to Sonic not filled by any other character, and that alone justifies his continued existence past Sonic Adventure 2. No, he wasn't "better off if he stayed dead", the series just has no idea how to take advantage of his position.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Shadow ... has a unique relationship to Sonic not filled by any other character

What would that be, specifically?

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

What would that be, specifically?

He's in a unique position of not being an enemy, but not really being 100% an ally either. For the most part, they just kind of do their own thing separate from each other. But because of their personalities, they almost inevitably cross paths whether its teaming up to fight a common threat or clashing over how to get the job.

There were characters who kind of fit that mold, but they've either become Sonic's friends completely (Knuckles, Blaze, Silver) or they've just faded from relevance (The Rogues). Shadow's the only recurring character that's not really his friend at all, even if there is a mutual respect between the two. 

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Somewhat unpopular:

Shadow is easily the most interesting and fleshed out character in the entire franchise and has a unique relationship to Sonic not filled by any other character, and that alone justifies his continued existence past Sonic Adventure 2. No, he wasn't "better off if he stayed dead", the series just has no idea how to take advantage of his position.

Yeah he's not my favorite but I think he's one of the only characters they put a ton of work into defining and fleshing out and I like his dynamic with Sonic(especially in the comics). I don't think the story of SA2 would have been harmed much by him surviving either. They had already planned to bring him back anyway, so I've come to feel the decision to off him was more cheap than anything. Redemption through some sort of huge sacrifice makes sense as a conclusion to his arc, but I wish the game had made it clear he survived the fall anyway. Falling from space is kind of a common thing in this series, so it wouldn't exactly be immersion breaking.

Here's a genuinely unpopular opinion: Tikal is probably my favorite character in the series with Chaos definitely being my favorite villain. I like the idea of this pacifist within a warrior race that managed to go against the mold. I think her story is emotional without being too overbearing or focused on the shock value of it all like Shadow's can be sometimes. It's a simple story put pretty far into the background of the game until the end, but it's one that always stuck with me. I wish she got to interact with the rest of the cast more but overall I think her story is told and it's not worth digging up again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, and I can't make a thread either because that topic is not allowed, but... 

Why Sonic Adventure 3 might happen, and it's now an actual possibility:

1. Obviously... Iizuka has said in an interview he wishes to remake Sonic Adventure. His words.

2. Sega doesn't really remake games though, they prefer to market brand new games that focus on nostalgia and perhaps have old locations but new stages. See: Generations, Mania.

3. I personally think Adventure nostalgia is next, even though now they are focusing on Classic nostalgia and I believe the Classic-Modern split will stay due to both being incredibly popular, unlike Boom...

4. Crash has been revived, with a remaster in HD, and it has been incredibly successful in sales and acclaim. So I don't see why Sega wouldn't want to follow that success route with Sonic's first 3D game, but as I said, it's more likely they will try with a new game.

5. Sonic Adventure is now 20 years old, I would say they are gonna do something to celebrate that. Because anniversaries make tons of money. Even their SA2 port made a lot of money.

6. There is a desire from fans for darker stories, and to play as different characters again. In fact Sonic characters are incredibly popular and they have been snobbed in the recent past.

7. They have been trying to include those Modern Sonic elements again with Forces, perhaps that was a huge experiment on what people want and don't want? Darker tone, serious antagonist, multiple playable characters (though with weird choices of selection), the return of the supporting cast, customization. Did I forget anything?

8. And Finally, the return of Chao Garden is being teased, with that poll of people's favorite Sonic features, with the Chao being playable in TSR, they really want to bring them back, and it does tie with the return of the Adventure tropes, so maybe?

I just think this all ties too well... It can't be a coincidence. Sure, they might not call it SA3 but why not? It would make tons of money even just for the name. And obviously, people have wanted that style of game back for a while. If it was for me personally, I'd make another SA game with the idea of SA2 more than SA1, because the first one tried too many gameplay styles and most of them were fillers, I wouldn't want Big's gameplay back. And honestly I'd just have 3 characters:

Sonic, with the boost gameplay mixed with more exploration and more 3D a la Adventure.

Tails, with puzzle and flying focused gameplay.

Knuckles, basically the Werehog gameplay with Knux's skills, since Unleashed also seems to be very popular.

Perhaps add Shadow, he's super popular, Sega also brought him back with Forces in playable role, so have a secret story with him and Sonic's gameplay but as Hard mode.

So I'd only make 4 characters and 3 gameplay styles, it seems enough, as for the rest, keep the other Adventure elements, like focus on the story, Chao Gardens, hubwords, upgrades maybe with customization, etc. 

So, what do you think about this?

• Nice Smile 1

22 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Half of the times Sonic won in AOSTH was because of some screw up by Scratch and Grounder or by Robotnik; hence the Bugs Bunny influence, because all of Bugs opponents were blatantly less smart and dumber  than him to make him look better. 

Its the same shit with Skeletor, Mumra, Shredder, etc etc etc. 

I guess it's that while AoSth Sonic often won with ease, he didn't win automatically. There was still a little bit of smarts and agency involved and a few times Robotnik actually put up a fight and Sonic had to do something spectacular. Every single Sonic X bout was rigged so Sonic could just smash through bad guys like paper, so he was more dull in his invincible streak.

SatAm Sonic was half and half, he wasn't quite as bad as Sonic X Sonic but he had the same power ring gimmick and ironically there were probably more times Robotnik screwed up his entire plan himself than in AoSth.

> Having arguments about the Classic/Modern split.

Obviously there was a retcon, that's the explanation in Forces, but somehow Classic universe is both another dimension AND the past, I think this is clear. Iizuka even confirmed that Classic Sonic from Forces is the same from Generations. So it's not weird to believe Generations split the timeline in 2 creating the Mania timeline, I get it, it's too much for the minds of Sonic Team, but it's actually what happened in the real world. Generations brought back Classic Sonic from the past, and reintroduced him, after that he got new games, that are still connected to the Modern world.

Most if the posts in here are opinions widely held by fans that are posted as if they are unpopular.

Genuinely unpopular opinions would be ones such as 'Sonic should only be in Classic 2D from now on', 'I want more Green Hill' or 'Sonic's friends should be completely removed'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly, I'm more a fan of talking about ideas that could be used to bring the series forward than to get into discrepancy matches with people on which design is better or that 3D never worked, which it does it's just that they never gave it a chance to be refined. 

Besides, a truly controversial opinion would be acting like Sonic Forces never happened and that Archie Sonic should be the main baseline for the Sonic continuity now. 

Like I want us to talk about what we agree on and how we can work on this to make it more for everyone. Hahahaa~

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Most if the posts in here are opinions widely held by fans that are posted as if they are unpopular.

Genuinely unpopular opinions would be ones such as 'Sonic should only be in Classic 2D from now on', 'I want more Green Hill' or 'Sonic's friends should be completely removed'.

Would you say this is an unpopular opinion about unpopular opinions?

Honey the Cat's personality is what Classic (and/or Modern) Amy should be. But instead of promoting a clothing line, she's promoting... I don't know, a disaster relief fund

6 hours ago, Scape said:

Honey the Cat's personality is what Classic (and/or Modern) Amy should be. But instead of promoting a clothing line, she's promoting... I don't know, a disaster relief fund

What is Honey's personality? 

16 hours ago, Plasme said:

So where does my dislike of Amy's hammer and preferring if she played more like Sonic fall? I've yet to see anyone share that opinion with me and whenever I bring it up I seem to do little more than aggravate people and generate feelings of disdain in them. Or should I take it as to that being why you specifically used the term "most" instead of all?

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What is Honey's personality? 

I don't have an answer for you asides from being an overly enthusiastic business woman which I frankly don't think fits Amy at all. I rather much agree with the very popular opinion that Amy is at her best in Ep. 6 of Mania Adventures and believe that serves as a better baseline for her character period than most other interpretations.

Happy Echidna Day. Sadly there aren't many good Sonic games where you play as Knuckles. I wanted to play as him, but I played the hell out of Sonic Mania Plus and S3&K. So there aren't many options left, the Adventure series limits him to treasure hunting, and I guess that leaves Heroes and Advance 1 as good games.

4 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Happy Echidna Day. Sadly there aren't many good Sonic games where you play as Knuckles. I wanted to play as him, but I played the hell out of Sonic Mania Plus and S3&K. So there aren't many options left, the Adventure series limits him to treasure hunting, and I guess that leaves Heroes and Advance 1 as good games.

Eh, I'd say Heroes is decent when it comes to Knuckles.

So here's one I'm sure will probably be unpopular...

I actually prefer Blaze in 06 to her own games. There's something about her mentoring big sister relationship with Silver that just appeals to me in all of the right ways and makes her much more enjoyable to me than how she is in the Rush games and since.

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So here's one I'm sure will probably be unpopular...

I actually prefer Blaze in 06 to her own games. There's something about her mentoring big sister relationship with Silver that just appeals to me in all of the right ways and makes her much more enjoyable to me than how she is in the Rush games and since.

The Japanese agree with you, apparently.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Japanese agree with you, apparently.

That probably shouldn't surprise me since I usually prefer the Japanese takes on most of the franchise compared to most western takes with Ian Flynn being one of the few exceptions.

8 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

That probably shouldn't surprise me since I usually prefer the Japanese takes on most of the franchise compared to most western takes with Ian Flynn being one of the few exceptions.

I wonder what that makes you. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I wonder what that makes you. :rolleyes:

A very weird American perhaps. Born here and spent the last thirty years of my life literally living out of the same building so being weird is a very likely thing.

• Nice Smile 1

Not so much about the games but I think the fandom gets too angry about things. It seems like some folks loose their minds if a new game or comic or anything comes short of being the next most revolutionary Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1