Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

In-universe, we don't even know the plausibility of them having a magic scepter suitable for sealing a fire demon in. Giving the story the benefit of the doubt, we could reasonably conclude from the fact that they didn't use one that they didn't have one. Maybe they're rare. Maybe they don't exist. And while sealing it in a person is obviously not a permanent solution, it at least means Iblis isn't killing everyone and bringing about the apocalypse right this second.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Opinion: Perfect Chaos Pt. 2 (the song) should have come before the "Open Your Heart" part, where the main boss fight starts. Pt. 2 could have had Sonic running back to Station Square in a desperate attempt to stop Chaos, only for water tentacles and geysers to start coming out of everywhere, thus making it a platforming esque section.

• Thumbs Up 4

Games / General

Popular:

The classic games are amazing and the best in the series.

Sonic Adventure is flawed but good.

I want multiple playable characters to return.

Chemical Plant Zone, Ice Cap Zone, and Lava Reef Zone have some of the best music in the series.

Ice Cap Zone is one of the best zones in the series overall.

Unpopular:

I prefer Sonic 2 to S3&K, for some reason. Not that the latter isn't excellent.

Sonic 1 Special Stages are possibly the best in the series. Sonic 2 Special Stages are horribly un-fun.

I have no problem with a human and an anthro having a romantic relationship. Sonic anthros barely qualify as "animals" to me.

"American Sonic", with his mohawk spikes and wonky eyes, isn't all bad. In fact, he has a few traits that put him ahead of his Japanese counterpart.

Sonic Spinball is fun. I like, never made any progress on it...but I like it :P

Dr. Robotnik is a much better name than Dr. Eggman, but I don't mind the name Eggman at all and I accept it as being more "correct". (Listed as unpopular because most people seem adamant one way or another?)

Comics

Popular:

The pre-reboot universe had its good points, and there are certainly things I'll miss, but I lovvvvve the rebooted version. It feels like a celebration of the entire Sonic series.

Ken Penders is a bad writer and artist.

Ian Flynn is the comics' best writer.

Unpopular:

Scourge was annoying and I really, really don't care that he's been removed.

I've never particularly liked Dr. Finitevus. Not that I mind him, I just don't like him.

NICOLE would be a lot more interesting and be more "true to her roots" if she acted like a living computer rather than just a normal person inside a computer. I'm not saying go back to the SatAM version or make her not a person or anything, but I want her A.I.-ishness to show up in her personality to some extent.

I probably will come back for more, but that's what I've got fer now.

Well, this opinon is pretty hybrid of being unpopular and popular at the same time. I think that is S3&K being the best game in the series. It's not my favorite, admittedly, but if I were to call it impartially I'd say it is the best. That being said, I will stand beside SA2 being my favorite game in the series. It isn't as high quality as S3&K in a broad sense, but I found more enjoyment in it than I did S3&K for reasons that may seem shallow to others but are pretty important to me, namely being able to play as Rouge without her character being reduced to a satellite follower of Shadow and how much fun I had in the Chao Garden. 

Basically, I won't deny that S3&K is the pinnacle of the series, but I also won't deny myself calling SA2 my favorite game because I legitimately enjoy it more.

Besides, S3&K is a close second on my list, anyway. Damn good game right there <3

Now, for an exclusively unpopular opinion. I really liked the Treasure Hunting stages in Sonic Adventure 2, and the only major grievance I had was the fact you had to find what you were looking for in a given order, regardless of if you found another one first. I actually found a lot of enjoyment in it and I don't see any of the problems people claim those stages to have as being...well, problems. I can understand the 5 minutes in Security Hall, but that wasn't too much of an issue for me. I could climb walls and glide around and use the hints and I had no issue. I rather liked those levels even when calling it impartially. Admittedly, the only reason I liked them more than Sonic and Shadow's is just the personal bias of being able to play as Rouge and Knuckles in those levels, but I certainly don't find them to be terrible. I'd say I found them to be good, even.

Opinion: Perfect Chaos Pt. 2 (the song) should have come before the "Open Your Heart" part, where the main boss fight starts. Pt. 2 could have had Sonic running back to Station Square in a desperate attempt to stop Chaos, only for water tentacles and geysers to start coming out of everywhere, thus making it a platforming esque section.

Had this same thought about ten years ago

On the subject of boss music chronology, I actually think the Malicious Fingers and Doomsday Zone themes in S3&K would sound better switched. I guess the latter, to me, just sounds more like a regular final boss theme, whereas the former sounds like a special "extra" boss theme befitting of a Super Sonic stage.

To me, all Sonic games have flaws.

It's rare that they hurt the experience to me, though. I'm pretty easy to please, to where I even enjoy Sonic 2006 and the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World. They're flawed games, I'm not even gonna attempt to deny that, but I still like them.

But when they do, they really do, to the point to where it completely ruins any enjoyment I got out of a title. You already know the names, and if you don't, I'd rather not repeat them for the 5000th time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The most recent Sonic game I really love came out in 1999. Gens is good and I rode the hype for a while but it's really just fun to play and that's not enough to hold my interest for a long period of time. SA1 kind of sucks by today's standards but the story and vibe is enough to make me love the shit out of it. It's also really nostalgic.

• Thumbs Up 3

To me, all Sonic games have flaws.

Same here and adding to that opinion: Every single Sonic game could have benefited from an extra six months to a year of development (maybe two years for Sonic 2006).  Every time I look through all the excised beta stuff from Sonic Retro and other sites I can't help but wonder how awesome, or how much more awesome, each and every game could've been with more development time or how much more polished a game could've been.  Like the Adventure duology's physics and controls or Sonic 3's shoddy collision detection that even the manual warns about.

Sonic 3's collision detection is hardware limitation...no amount of extra development time would've been able to completely remove it.

NICOLE would be a lot more interesting and be more "true to her roots" if she acted like a living computer rather than just a normal person inside a computer. I'm not saying go back to the SatAM version or make her not a person or anything, but I want her A.I.-ishness to show up in her personality to some extent.

I actually agree with that. I mean, not like downgrade her, but make her robotic roots more like a quirk, similar to how characters like Gamma and Omega function. It seemed odd how she instantly evolved into a normal lucid being after being nothing more than a slab of metal. There's only been like two or three instances of her not quite getting customs and behaviour patterns right.

I actually miss most of the original Satam characterisations. I get evolution is important, but they rarely put anything in place of their original quirks, they feel blander. I miss the more prissy 'fun police' Sally, and while Antoine being more competent has it's pluses, I see no reason he can no longer have delusions of grandeur or think he's more of a suave Ace than he really is.

One thing I should add, I really don't see the problem with the majority of SEGA's mandates to the comic. I mean there are odd ones that seem petty (eg. no SEGA characters in their younger forms) but most of them just seem basic stipulations to keep it loyal to the games to a degree and probably wouldn't be even noticed if they hadn't been mentioned to the public. Not to mention Ian is sometimes good at making loopholes (Sonic has to win, but there's no rule to how bittersweet and meaningless a victory it can be).

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinion (I think): I really don't like Sonic 1's special stages. Now don't get me wrong, I don't really like any of the special stages in Sonic games, with maybe the exception of the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, but Sonic 1's are probably my least favorite. For starters, I really wasn't a fan of how out of control I felt when playing through them, and they almost felt a bit luck based in some cases. Also, I had a fairly difficult time seeing where I was going, especially on my first time playing through them. For example, there were times where I'd just be falling through the stage, then a goal sign seemingly popped out of nowhere, giving me very little time to react. Actually, why do they say goal? So yeah, the point is that I think Sonic 1's special stages are pretty meh. Then again, I'm sitting here complaining about a game that's nearly 24 years old so I should probably just shut up. :P

Not to mention Ian is sometimes good at making loopholes (Sonic has to win, but there's no rule to how bittersweet and meaningless a victory it can be).

And here I thought when they said "Sonic has to win" it had to be the black-and-white happy ending. 

But then again, could you really blame anyone thinking that Sega would equate a bittersweet victory as a loss? I mean really, the only loss Sonic actively suffered was issue 175 where Eggman kicked his ass, and then he bounced right back and scored a win. So it makes one wonder what made that mandate sprout up in the first place?

There was also the post Genesis wave issue. He and Sally stop the mass robotocizer. It is NOT a happy ending at all.

I have to agree though, unless that mandate was just a matter of fact thing, I don't know where it perked up unless it was maybe stated during Penders and Bollers' rather grim era, otherwise has Sonic ever all out had an unnegated defeat in a story?

I didn't have a Sonic character that I out and out hated until meeting Sally Acorn in the comics. I didn't have one I found positively rancid until I met Julie-Su.

And as for Mighty the Armadillo, he's a nothing character with no obvious appeal behind him. The popularity he's managed to garner despite that frustrates me and as such heightens my disdain for his existence.

I like Mighty. I'll argue to the death why he doesn't fit the dynamic of the modern Chaotix at all and would be terrible to reintroduce if he was to be forced in there, but there are some little qualities I like, such as the contrasting idea of a pacifist strongman who still has some ego issues to him as a way to mix his Japanese Chaotix bio and his portrayal in SegaSonic Arcade (I suggested that as a far-fetched idea for post-reboot Archie Mighty despite being derived from game material. I may need to fetch farther in the future to have a suggestion not end up in the comic), and you could use Ray for a different approach to the Sonic and Tails dynamic (it's be like if Tails' was Knuckles' sidekick instead somewhat). 

Does he warrant the amount of fan-favouritism he's garnered? No. Even within the strict confines of Chaotix, he was hardly interesting in his behaviour given it was literally Sonic reskinned so not even a reflection of Mighty's character. Rule of cool sucks major balls sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just imagining the Generations Boss Fight but with Super Sonic for Phase 2 and the music swapped.

I do agree with this opinion because it seems out of place from other Sonic games. Usually the iconic theme of the game plays in the final phase, not the other way around.

Open Your Heart to Perfect Chaos Revival - Sonic Adventure

Supporting Me to Live And Learn - Sonic Adventure 2

Metal Madness to What I'm Made Of - Sonic Heroes

Solaris Phase 1 to Solaris Phase 2 (His World) - Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

Vs. Dark Gaia to Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia (Endless Possibility) - Sonic Unleashed

Nega Wisp Armor Phase 1 to Nega Wisp Armor Phase 2 (Reach For The Stars) - Sonic Colors

Sonic Adventure seems out of place in that trend doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Popular - I like Sonic Adventure 2 in a general sense, and it certainly has positive points, but it's definitely a heavily flawed game and annoying in many ways.

Unpopular - Treasure hunting, while not as fun as normal get-to-the-goal speed platforming, is fun its own way. I mean it's not great, but it's kinda fun.

Popular - SA2 treasure hunting is much worse than SA treasure hunting.

Unpopular - The shooting stages can bother me more than the treasure hunting, as it's even less like a Sonic game, and just not interesting to me.

Unpopular - I have no interest in the Chao Garden...

Popular - ...solely because my sisters and I were way too into it when we were little, and so now we're burned out :P

And for something non-game related:

Popular - I don't like Sonic X. I won't say I hate it...I used to hate it, for sure, but it's been such a long time since I've watched it, maybe I'll have moderated my opinion since then. But I definitely don't like it.

Unpopular - ...I actually have no hard feelings toward Chris. There's nothing about him that's inherently objectionable to me. Sure, them putting too much focus on him is annoying, but I don't really hate him. I don't like him either, but, well, his existence doesn't bother me, let's put it that way.

Unpopular: I think Pontac and Graff have a good grasp on the Sonic characters...

Popular:...unless it's Tails in Sonic Lost World. He was fine in Colors and Generations in my opinion. What happened between Generations and Lost World?!

Unpopular: While I agree Tails is hap hazardously done in Lost World, I think they at least got some signs of life out of him. I prefer him more impulsive and childish than this constantly polite and almost boring middle aged man he was before. They spotlighted getting quirks out of his tech wiz character more too, making him a bit of an eccentric inventor and having a poor attention span.

Admittedly Boom handled this direction in a much smoother manner than Lost World though, I actually kinda hope they will take notes from that rendition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular: I like the Fleetway comics more than the Archie ones, and I like Richard Elson way more the Patrick Spaziante. 

I don't like Patrick Spaziante's art all that much. 

The Sonic 2 Special stages are absolutely awful. 

I like Roger Craig Smith. 

I don't like the Chao garen at all. 

Popular: Sonic 3&K is the best 2D-game

Unpopular: I like Sonic 4 Ep2, but I admit that it lacks replay value of the classics

Unpopular: Sonic Adventure is the best 3D-game

Unpopular: Bigs gameplaystyle is not awful, at least I didn't have problems to catch Froggy. It's worst gameplaystyle in Adventure games but at least it over soon. I don't also care about Chao garden

Unpopular:Sonic 06 is not that bad

Popular: but it's plot is just horrendous, it just full of plotholes and time paradoxes.

Unpopular: but I don't really understand the beastiality accusations. I mean, it looks like that Mobians (or whatever they are really called) have as much connection to their real world counterparts as humans with apes.

Popular(?): Sonic Heroes has the worst special stages in he entire series and the method of getting to last part os just bs

Popular: I would like to have multiple playable characters back. Just remember to keep speed

Unpopular: I like story of Lost World and somewhat like Tails in that game.

Popular/unpopular: I prefer pre-reboot archie comics over post-reboot

I like Mighty. I'll argue to the death why he doesn't fit the dynamic of the modern Chaotix at all and would be terrible to reintroduce if he was to be forced in there, but there are some little qualities I like, such as the contrasting idea of a pacifist strongman who still has some ego issues to him as a way to mix his Japanese Chaotix bio and his portrayal in SegaSonic Arcade (I suggested that as a far-fetched idea for post-reboot Archie Mighty despite being derived from game material. I may need to fetch farther in the future to have a suggestion not end up in the comic), and you could use Ray for a different approach to the Sonic and Tails dynamic (it's be like if Tails' was Knuckles' sidekick instead somewhat). 

Does he warrant the amount of fan-favouritism he's garnered? No. Even within the strict confines of Chaotix, he was hardly interesting in his behaviour given it was literally Sonic reskinned so not even a reflection of Mighty's character. Rule of cool sucks major balls sometimes.

What is Mighty's character? I wasn't aware he had one.

Also why doesn't it fit in with the chaotix

Because the Chaotix are pretty well defined as a trio of detectives, whose dynamics are well built to work with the three specifically. Add a fourth person, and it's a hanger-on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because the Chaotix are pretty well defined as a trio of detectives, whose dynamics are well built to work with the three specifically. Add a fourth person, and it's a hanger-on.

Agree. If they ever bring back Mighty,he should just do his own thing and not even be involved with the Chaotix.