Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

It was a downgrade. I didn't have too much of a problem with it, but them taking out whatever line of code it was that allowed you to find the closest emerald no matter if it was the first, second, or third in line made a very drastic impact on the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since the Fart of March 2015 has wiped out a good chunk of my posts, I'm reposting this opinion of mine:

I think if Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) had wanted to run with the amnesia shtick, they should have had Shadow remember not only what he already knew (like the death of Maria and Gerald's research), but also expanded on what his life was like in the ARK, how did Gerald treat him, what was Maria's personality like beyond what little we did see. Additionally to keep things interesting, they could add in whole new memories that Shadow cannot remember actually occurring yet for some reason feels like he should know that overtime reveals that the ARK incident might have had a lot more going on that he realized (splinter GUN faction, a scientist who betrayed Gerald for the immortality research, etc.) and that his memories might have been tampered with so that the person who did it could cover their tracks.

Basically humanize Shadow more and expand on his existing story rather than tacking on something that doesn't really gel with what the original story was going for.

Honestly, going through with that amnesia shtick seems a bit redundant, and it's not like you can't do that without that sub-plot.

I dunno. If anything it still wouldn't offset a lot of the problematic writing that was done with it, mainly how out of nowhere the Black Arms aliens were to Shadow's backstory.

Or that might just be me still having strong issues with that game ruining one of my favorite characters. It's funny because if you ask me they would have done an even better job not doing the amnesia shtick, and instead of having Black Arms as aliens they could be a splinter faction of GUN gone rogue that was responsible for everything that happened on the ARK 50 years ago and tried to cover it up. That would have added to how tragic Gerald was and brought everything in SA2 in full circle without being out of nowhere.

But that's just me.

Honestly, going through with that amnesia shtick seems a bit redundant, and it's not like you can't do that without that sub-plot.

I dunno. If anything it still wouldn't offset a lot of the problematic writing that was done with it, mainly how out of nowhere the Black Arms aliens were to Shadow's backstory.

Or that might just be me still having strong issues with that game ruining one of my favorite characters. It's funny because if you ask me they would have done an even better job not doing the amnesia shtick, and instead of having Black Arms as aliens they could be a splinter faction of GUN gone rogue that was responsible for everything that happened on the ARK 50 years ago and tried to cover it up. That would have added to how tragic Gerald was and brought everything in SA2 in full circle without being out of nowhere.

But that's just me.

...That's basically what I meant.

Another unpopular opinion (maybe?) I hate Dark Sonic in Sonic X. He was like one Big Lipped Alligator Moment, only appeared for 2 minutes screen time and had a really try hard dark n edgy design, ugh. I know he was there to show negative Chaos energy or whatever but what was the point if he only appeared for like a minute?!

Oh, I definitely agree with you. Dark Sonic was absolutely pointless. He doesn't even do anything special. He destroys a couple robots. That's it. As if he couldn't have done that as normal Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

...That's basically what I meant.

I know, but I felt the amnesia shtick was a bit too...awkward, I guess? I mean, I might be overestimating it, but I do think that they could have gone without it along with a few other drastic changes.

Yeah, it'd be simpler to have Shadow simply question his memories--after all, he didn't remember Maria's true wishes, and with Gerald's whole plan and everything, I could see Shadow being paranoid about the rest of his memories (which ones are real, which ones aren't, etc.). Especially after Eggman took him in for what was probably a few weeks/months at the least. So of course he'd set out to figure things out.

Granted, this wouldn't be that different from the "amnesia" plot, but it'd also mean that he wouldn't be quite so quick to trust, y'know, Black Doom. In theory. I mean, I always kinda figured he was just desperate at that point, but in this alternate scenario he'd probably be too paranoid to even trust the good guys. After all, his memories insist Gerald was nothing like the guy who almost ended up destroying the world posthumously.

Edited by Nightmare Moon

Well it wouldn't have to be full blown amnesia or anything, just that Shadow knows the entirety of his backstory, but throughout the story, "new" memories show up that he feels like he knows them but for some reason he doesn't that reveals that there may have been more to the incident than he realized. Like someone tampered with his memories to cover their own actions or something.

Now, that would work. It was implied that his memories were tampered with in SA2 (how is another story, but eh.) so you could go with that.

Still iffy about Black Arms being aliens tho, but that had nothing to do with what you're saying.

I don't think Ice Cap Zone is nearly the best tack in Sonic 3, I'd rather give that to Hydrocity Zone or Carnival Night Zone. I'll say it's my favourite level, music wise though? Nuh-uh.

Well, you have to give that song props considering how it's know for being the most remixed tune out of almost any other video game song out there. To the point that it's difficult to make one be unique on its own.

Well, you have to give that song props considering how it's know for being the most remixed tune out of almost any other video game song out there. To the point that it's difficult to make one be unique on its own.

Maybe I said it a lil' harsh, I'm not saying it's a bad song and doesn't deserve the praise it gets, I'm just saying I think there's better songs in Sonic 3.

Now, that would work. It was implied that his memories were tampered with in SA2 (how is another story, but eh.) so you could go with that.

Still iffy about Black Arms being aliens tho, but that had nothing to do with what you're saying.

Well personally I think the tampering was an inside job, like a jealous scientist who wanted the fame and glory of discovering immortality, so they sold Gerald out to GUN and once Shadow was captured, they were able to tamper with his memories to cover up their own involvement, but in the process accidentally screws up Shadow's memory of Maria's wishes.

Oh boy, a controversial opinion topic! Good, I needed to express some controversial ideas. Without further ado, let's get into the controverse!

"Hubworlds in Sonic games sucks and they should never happear ever again": I do NOT totally disagree with the idea that the hubworlds that past Sonic games had could use improvement. Even SA1, who had the best of them, could use a ton. But saying that hubworlds can't fit into a Sonic game? It's like saying that Super Mario can't have any. No, I'm NOT comparing Sonic to Mario here, it's just that games like 64 and Galaxy 1 are good examples of how a hubworld can be nicely exploited. These game's hubworlds, especially 64, had the particularity to be vast but proposed a lot of interaction with the environnement, with tons of unlockable secrets and/or some entertaining side-levels gimmicks, like Rosalina's storybook. Plus, I think this has quite a bit to do with the NPCs, who provides useless information and no sidequests at all, but that's another subject. I think that if the hubworld could get all those qualities together, while being huge so that the player may exploit Sonic's speed completly freely, it would be a blast.

"Sonic has nothing to do with friggin /PlotSettingThatHasn'tHappenedYet/ and so this game is terrible": I'm talking about the likes of '06, Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Unleashed, which gives us "Doomsday Gods", "Princesses", "Time Travel', "Myths", and "Werewolfs". I could say it's pure close-mindness, but I kinda uderstand those people if they want a consistent Sonic mythos, or something that sticks at least to the Genesis titles. If they don't? Well "ITS NOT SANIC", so that's no good! Still, the universe, before games like Generations, wasn't clearly defined, so Sonic Team could do what they wanted to do. Like it or not, you can't hate the game because of it, or say that "SAWNIC IS LOOSIN HIS WAY" just because of that, as it can't really affect overall gameplay experience directly. Still, not only some fans do that, but most press reviews do in their "critics" on the whole series? just following these fans like lemmings, and quote it like that without futher explination. It's just so goddamn annoying to see how most of the press can be unprofessional when talking about the series as a whole.

"Sonic 4 Episode X is terrible": Terrible? Disagreed. The games are polished, both for gameplay and graphics, and were pretty fleshed out. Doesn't deserve its name? Agreed. Devs' tried to make something that looked like successors to the Genesis games, which is already a extremely tough task, and just made HD Sonic 2D games. But netherless this isn't a reason to say the games are terrible, even if they have major problems, I find them pretty enjoyable to play.

"Sonic is getting more and more Mario-like": A few years ago I would have said this was a stupid idea, but Lost World came out, and that's the definitive argument for detractors now. So let's talk about Colors. Okay, so what gives? Planet-like worlds, with over the top design like with Sweet Mountain? It has been done over and over again. Lots of levels that can be accessed with a point/path design? That's been done so many times again. Wisps are alien power-ups? Sure, have aliens that go INSIDE YOU, granting you the power to become a LAZOOR for a few seconds looks A LOT like eating a flower to shoot fireballs. Seriously, I don't even get what people want to come out of this "debate".

"Rise of Lyric is the worst Sonic game of all time": You know what's worse than '06?

Sonic_Labyrinth_00-00.png

'Nuff say.

This could go on forever, and I'll just be talking about my likes and dislikes of Sonic games, so I'm gonna stop here for now.

As for Shadow The Hedgehog's plot, I agree with the fact that it was a seriously missed opportunity to describe Shadow's life aboard the ARK, which is actually one of the only interesting things about the game's story. But am I the only one here who thinks that this was a terrible idea to create a game based on a PLOTHOLE, that could have been broached in any other game with the rest of another story? I feel like even if the game can be pretty epic, it makes no sense in itself at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Labyrinth is mediocre at worst. 

That can be taken as a rebuttal or an unpopular opinion. But seriously, it's harmless.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why people make such a big deal about Sonic Labyrinth considering it's just a little game that only even takes about 30 minutes to beat. Plus, there's not really anything that comes off as legitimately terrible to me, just mediocre.

Labyrinth isn't a particularly good game. But it's just kind of there, being all insignificant and inoffensive. Unlike Boom or '06 or Shadow, it never pretended to be a good or important game.

• Thumbs Up 6

I actually think Labyrinth was a pretty unique idea at the time. It's pretty much a game centered around the spindash and bounce mechanics... just on an isometric angle. Making Sonic slow was a dumb choice, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Labyrinth isn't a particularly good game. But it's just kind of there, being all insignificant and inoffensive. Unlike Boom or '06 or Shadow, it never pretended to be a good or important Sonic game.

You would rather the games up and say "this is shit and it's impossible for anyone to like or defend"? Isn't that kind of discouraging the idea of playing video games?

You would rather the games up and say "this is shit and it's impossible for anyone to like or defend"? Isn't that kind of discouraging the idea of playing video games?

What are you smoking? Of course not. I'd rather the games weren't embarrassingly bad.

Just joking here, guys. That was just to say there can be worse than Rise of Lyric in the franchise. But then, deciding which is the worse between '06 and that game? That's all opinion. You can preffer Rise of Lyric because it's AT LEAST more polished than '06, but you can prefer '06 because RoL gets boring and repetitive really fast. Personally, I know it's weird, but I'd prefer to throw my controller out of the window on a difficult and glitchy game rather than playing a flat, repetitive, boring game. But it's hard to even compare the two.

Also...

Why would you think that? He never even said such a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Ice Cap Zone is nearly the best tack in Sonic 3, I'd rather give that to Hydrocity Zone or Carnival Night Zone. I'll say it's my favourite level, music wise though? Nuh-uh.

I would go a step further and argue Ice Cap is actually the weakest zone in the Sonic 3 half of the game. Think about it. It's really short and repetitive. Act 1 is mostly just bland caves after the great opening, while Act 2 is a lot better and prettier but is just full of loops and is even shorter still!

The zone as a whole is SO short I've always felt it leaves less of an impact than the rest. Angel Island is short too, but it's the opening level and has a memorable setpiece. Ice Cap being zone 5 doesn't have that excuse.

Ice Cap Act 2's music is amazing though. Better than Act 1's. Fight me in real life.

What are you smoking? Of course not. I'd rather the games weren't embarrassingly bad.

Well, when you say that they're "pretending to be good" then you're implying that you'd rather they not show that sort of confidence, no? It tells me that you'd rather they act like they aren't good games.

Just joking here, guys. That was just to say there can be worse than Rise of Lyric in the franchise. But then, deciding which is the worse between '06 and that game? That's all opinion. You can preffer Rise of Lyric because it's AT LEAST more polished than '06, but you can prefer '06 because RoL gets boring and repetitive really fast. Personally, I know it's weird, but I'd prefer to throw my controller out of the window on a difficult and glitchy game rather than playing a flat, repetitive, boring game. But it's hard to even compare the two.

But Sonic 06 is boring and repetitive! That's the entire reason I make the case of it being worse!

But Sonic 06 is boring and repetitive! That's the entire reason I make the case of it being worse!

Depends. It gets way more boring in the hubworlds where you just "explore" around at 1M/h and complete glitchy generic missions just for rings. But in Action Stages, terrible mechanics or not, you got to act, or else you'll loose with the game's terrible mechanics. And at least, there is some action, and speed when you're on rails with accelerators and Mach Speed sections. I'm not saying these are good, it's just that they at least aren't just a generic platformer with Sonic characters, Spindash, Popeller Flight and Piko Piko Hammer in it. 

Sonic 06 has its speedy moments and unique (though not always good) stages gimmicks. Rise of Lyric is way more repetitive than that. Now like I said, that doesn't necessarily make it better, it's all opinions, but I don't think you can qualify a game "boring" if it makes you throw your controller away.