Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

"No Sonic News?" Did we all forget about Sonic 4: Episode II and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed that quickly?

• Thumbs Up 3

If the forum is honestly getting all fussy because they don't have a new toy to play with, I'm pretty disappointed.

I don't think most people claim it is the sole reason or even the main reason, but I think it's silly to claim that it isn't a factor at all.

And Komodin; Sonic 4: Episode II is still ultimately a digital only release and does not have the same level of importance as something like Generations. It's the same thing with All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think most people claim it is the sole reason or even the main reason, but I think it's silly to claim that it isn't a factor at all.

And Komodin; Sonic 4: Episode II is still ultimately a digital only release and does not have the same level of importance as something like Generations. It's the same thing with All-Stars Racing Transformed.

I don't deny that it is a factor. However, saying that as if it excuses you to act that way is intolerable to me. If you start feeling you cannot control yourself, then perhaps it's time for a vacation.

Thank you.

No new Sonic games means no interesting discussion. No interesting discussions lead to us having the same debates, thus we're getting bored. How many times have we gone over Generations by now? Not putting it as the main reason, but it could be part of it.

"No Sonic News?" Did we all forget about Sonic 4: Episode II and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed that quickly?

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is already out for several months and All Stars Racing Transformed is pretty slow on the news reveals. The ASRT board is mostly people speculating what the 3rd guess character is, fighting over the character rosters, tracks, etc

If the forum is honestly getting all fussy because they don't have a new toy to play with, I'm pretty disappointed.

No, I don't think that's it. I think the news drought is just contributing to a lack of things to talk about, which causes us to bring up the same topics of discussion over and over, which takes its toll on the quality of the discussion.

I don't deny that it is a factor. However, saying that as if it excuses you to act that way is intolerable to me. If you start feeling you cannot control yourself, then perhaps it's time for a vacation.

..Did anyone say that it excuses everything?

Honest question.

Edited by Chooch

..Did anyone say that it excuses everything?

Honest question.

Say? Not in the literal term, but the vibe I got from some who mention it is that their irritation, although not excused, should be tolerated until the next big topic of discussion comes along to distract them away.

Look, I agree that some topics of discussion feel like they are going around in circles to some of you, and that's fine; others might still feel that there's more arguments to be made. If you are bored, then find something interesting to do. It's that simple.

If you are tired of arguing why Dr. Robotnik sounds better than Eggman, then talk about something else, like Sonic Labyrinth, or pretty much, ANY OTHER TOPIC in this world (that's why we have the Chit-Chat section.)

There is ALWAYS something to talk about, and if SONIC bores you for an undefined period of time, then why are you in SONIC Discussion, causing distractions and commotions for those that do believe that there is a conversation to be had about him?

Edited by tenchibr

Saying this could possibly get me into hot water and might not even be worth saying, but I really gotta get it off my chest. Sometimes, I question why I sign on here, and it's mostly because of the users. I'm not gonna throw anyone under the bus by naming names, but goddamn, some of you are so rude, condescending, and overall unlikeable. It's pretty bad when I'm saying this, believe me, because I rarely dislike people. You can't change who people are, and I understand that. I'm just simply voicing my opinion and stating that I think a lot of people here need an attitude change. I'm by no means trying to offend anyone either. Really.

EDIT: And I'm not really speaking from personal experience (though I'm sure things like this have occued to me before, which I just brushed off), but rather how I see other users treat each other. I usually just keep my mouth shut, but I have taken note on a lot of things here.

If you think it is bad here, from my experiences, GameFAQs is MUCH worse than SSMB can ever hope to be. Unlike here, you are basically not even allowed to be nice or even like/enjoy the games. Heck, on their Sonic Generations board, you are consider bad for liking Sonic Generations...

Younger me would say that it is just Sonic fans being Sonic fans. But, I know that isn't true.

For the most part, the users here are not bad. I wish we didn't get into hissy fits over opinions, but at least here, people are able to have opinions.

• Thumbs Up 3

Everyone out there who puts the staff in this antagonistic tone in their heads has the OBLIGATION of really, really read the lines and between the lines of the above post.

Edited by tenchibr

Jeez, you & Diz are the laid back mods. if your feeling this way, then I'm guessing the other mods are ready to blow their tops...or not caring altogether. May explain why were not seeing much of Pelly these days.

I'll be honest it has played a part.

To be fair, every fall I'm hardly active on the boards. I have a lot going on with school (plus I work 7 days a week), so I kind of fade away. Usually by mid winter/spring things calm down a lot though.

But I've been having a really hard time coming back here lately. I hate leaving my fellow mods to clean up all the messes, but honestly it becomes harder and harder for me not to become burned out by this place. It's especially hard as I've seen all my fellow mods get burned out as well, and it's hard to keep my spirits up and jump back into things when everyone else is kind of tired of it as well.

It's been especially hard because everytime I log in there seems to be either massive drama or just loads to catch up on. As a staff, if I've been away for awhile I tend to take a lot of time reading up on a lot of stuff to see what I've missed so I can more effectively moderate things but lately it's been pretty overwhelming.

Just today I logged in and was immediately greeted by drama and snark (not necessarily towards me) and it just makes it hard. There's been a lot of negativity towards members and towards the staff and I just feel like it's making a lot of the reasons I used to have fun coming on here disappear.

Of course there really is no easy solution =/

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I am willing to admit to the fact that you are indeed a master of puppetry, but I'm afraid this particular performance just wasn't "swag" enough. Maybe if you added a Dash puppet and a musical number.

And no, I don't give A' s out unless you dazzle my socks off. My feet remain warm.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm going to be honest here; almost all of the negativity I see on SSMB is people saying that there's a negative atmosphere (it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy). No hostility intended toward those people (I'm not blaming them for anything), but those are my observations. I don't see excessive animosity or negativity on SSMB. What depresses me most about the forum is seeing my fellow members and the staff upset or discouraged; this is because I care about the community and like to see it to run smoothly (may sound like I'm trying to win cool points with mods; but no).

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm going to be honest here; almost all of the negativity I see on SSMB is people saying that there's a negative atmosphere (it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy). No hostility intended toward those people (I'm not blaming them for anything), but those are my observations. I don't see excessive animosity or negativity on SSMB. What depresses me most about the forum is seeing my fellow members and the staff upset or discouraged; this is because I care about the community and like to see it to run smoothly (may sound like I'm trying to win cool points with mods; but no).

Well, I gotta respond to this with 2 things:

1 - It's safe to assume that you haven't felt like you were attacked directly (and I am willing to bet that you haven't been attacked at all either - it doesn't seem like you have put yourself in that position yet) by anyone with the intent of hurting you, and I am certainly not encouraging it either. But, if you cannot relate directly to the attacked poster's feelings, it's easy to dismiss said attacks as just casual comments.

2 - On the other hand, I have to admit that after this thread took off, I haven't really seen any actual negative attacks since; sure, you still have the smart comments and whatnot, but for the most part, it's more like misunderstanding and less like actual aggression.

Either way, if you haven't seen any negativity yet, let's hope it stays that way.

Edited by tenchibr

http://www.doomworld...acks-the-venom/

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to this thread before complaining about there being "animosity" on this forum

*looks at forum*

That forum is made for people who want to spread cancer on the Internet. The fact that they are both forums is their only similarity.

Edit: And I understand that forum revolves around Doom, like this one revolves around Sonic; but I don't see how a community of Doom fans would want the same kind of social interaction as Sonic fans.

Edited by tenchibr

The Doom community is a much more technically-focused one at times and is more geared towards adults (which should be obvious given the differences between Sonic and Doom), and my point is really that the alleged "animosity" here is very light. The reason it exists in Doomworld in the capacity that it does is because the community is self-policed, with very little moderator interaction, as everyone is more or less treated like adults at DW and mod/admin intervention is generally reserved for those extreme cases when the fact that everyone hates your stupid guts isn't enough to make you not post on the forum anymore

The same cannot be said about SSMB, where the average age of the viewers is much younger

Edited by a bad poster

The same cannot be said about SSMB, where the average age of the viewers is much younger

That and the fact that the way Sonic fans relate to each other is different than Doom fans... I think we are more of a love-hate relationship, where we all love Sonic, but we can be very divided about certain things.

I mean, I am not there but I don't expect a thread about someone bitching at id Software for moving the marine's hand from the bottom-center of the screen to the more standard bottom-right facing towards the middle.

The Doom community is a much more technically-focused one at times and is more geared towards adults (which should be obvious given the differences between Sonic and Doom), and my point is really that the alleged "animosity" here is very light. The reason it exists in Doomworld in the capacity that it does is because the community is self-policed, with very little moderator interaction, as everyone is more or less treated like adults at DW and mod/admin intervention is generally reserved for those extreme cases when the fact that everyone hates your stupid guts isn't enough to make you not post on the forum anymore

But how that forum is and how it's ran has nothing to do with this place whatsoever.

Just because one forum has more "animosity" than the other shouldn't mean anything. It's still a problem, and it's still a detriment to the community as a whole. It might be light, sure. But it isn't like it's not an issue.

• Thumbs Up 7

Even though I tend to miss most drama, it does anger me if it upsets my friends. But I know that ranting about it to everyone, will only make things worse.

I've found a simple and easy way to deal with disrespectful members. Here it is:

e3-shadow-the-hedgehog-mit-knarre.jpg

2 - On the other hand, I have to admit that after this thread took off, I haven't really seen any actual negative attacks since; sure, you still have the smart comments and whatnot, but for the most part, it's more like misunderstanding and less like actual aggression.

That's interesting. Making them aware of the bad behavior and showing how it effects others could be helping to keep things in check. Perhaps what Joe said all those years ago is true.

But on to something else. Just reading the post by Pelly and the fact that Flyboy Fox is also busy with other things, makes me wonder if the mods are understaffed. I'm not saying that's the reason for the increased chaos, (heh "Chaos") I doubt the previous dramas could have been prevented with more staff. I'm also not saying they should step down as staff for being unable to assist more often. What kind of jerk would dare say that?!

I'm just sharing my concerns and nothing more.

But how that forum is and how it's ran has nothing to do with this place whatsoever.

The point I'm making is that sometimes, the animosity towards one another is a good thing. For example, that one time I went into the Pony thread and said "this show is cancer and I hate it", which was followed swiftly by at least 10 people shitting on me and 1 harrassing me through PM, I learned really fucking fast not to bullshit around in that thread anymore, and I bet you this applies to more than just that pony thread for others. You learn goddamn quick not to go around dumping ass on every thread you see when you know you're going to get dumped-ass on right back

Just because one forum has more "animosity" than the other shouldn't mean anything. It's still a problem, and it's still a detriment to the community as a whole. It might be light, sure. But it isn't like it's not an issue.

See above. I disagree; the adversity towards one another is just as beneficial as it is detremental IMO

Edited by a bad poster
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, I don't see how the lack of Sonic info is that big a factor in all this animosity as has been insinuated in the past. Yeah, I'll concede that it is a factor, as the boredom that arises from it has lead us to talk about the same things over and over again. Which in turn gets us tired of talking about it and when we see the same topic brought up for the fiftieth time, we tend to groan and go 'not this shit again!' and then we argue about it.

But as for it being the main reason this is going on? I don't see it. Besides, we all what's going to happen as soon as something finally is announced - people are going to tear it apart, leading into new arguments. The announcement of a new Sonic game simply isn't going to make all this animosity fade out.