Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Go figure that this translation from Toei calls it the "Spirit Bomb" then. XD I always hear Dragonball fans go nuts with saying the exact word "Genki-Dama", but Toei doesn't seem to care.

I just realized something, is the term, "Spirit Bomb" a correct translation of "Genki-Dama"?

Its literal translation is "energy ball," but it's close enough to not be a big deal. Genki means "energy," as in life energy. For example, Japanese people often informally ask "genki?" which is our equivalent to asking someone how they're doing or how they're feeling. This is also where "ki" comes from. Dama does mean "ball"/"sphere," yes.

I don't think it was a good idea that they went with "Spirit Bomb" in the song since this version is being distributed throughout the world, and as far as I know "Spirit Bomb" is only used in certain English speaking countries. Toei didn't write the song, by the way. Other mistakes have slipped into Japan before, like how they used the "Frieza" spelling in Battle Stadium D.O.N. and they used "Bills" on some kind of DS case or something.

Wait, according to that list theres a showing 6 miles away?! fucking serious?!?!

:'D I get to see Battle Of Gods after all!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Its literal translation is "energy ball," but it's close enough to not be a big deal. Genki means "energy," as in life energy. For example, Japanese people often informally ask "genki?" which is our equivalent to asking someone how they're doing or how they're feeling. This is also where "ki" comes from. Dama does mean "ball"/"sphere," yes.

I don't think it was a good idea that they went with "Spirit Bomb" in the song since this version is being distributed throughout the world, and as far as I know "Spirit Bomb" is only used in certain English speaking countries. Toei didn't write the song, by the way. Other mistakes have slipped into Japan before, like how they used the "Frieza" spelling in Battle Stadium D.O.N. and they used "Bills" on some kind of DS case or something.

Frieza made its way into j-stars as well despite the official site using Freeza.

Also shueisha used spirit bomb in their tohoku earthquake relief find.

Oh yeah, I remember those now. It happens sometimes since I guess they do simple Internet searches for English terms or something.

It really seems like no one in the industry cares about the quality of Dragonball sometimes. XD Just churn it out and let the bills flow. 

• 7 months later...

So, how many of you are guys looking forward to seeing Dragon Ball Z: Revival of Frieza? Ready for Super Saiyan God Vegeta?

I kind of am, but I strongly dislike Freiza's new form. It feels like they just took him and made him gold with barely any other changes.

I kind of am, but I strongly dislike Freiza's new form. It feels like they just took him and made him gold with barely any other changes.

When I saw Freiza's new form for the first time I was like "WTF? That's it? He looks like they just dipped him in gold and purple paint and just called it a day." I guess I'll have to get used to it though. :/

I'm looking forward to that movie alright, even though Freezer's new form is nothing short of lazy, but, heck. I love Dragon Ball, and I'm happy that, at least from watching the trailers, the non-sayan characters are actually going to do something.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who would have liked to see Muten going to Namek with the other guys.

Super Saiyan form is just a Saiyan with sticky up yellow hair and different coloured eyes so it's not that much different regarding what his form looks like. It makes sense to work it around that way and make him Super Saiyan-like.

New trailer for J-Stars Victory VS+

It does look like a graphically pretty game, just hope eng. VA's are planned.

New trailer for J-Stars Victory VS+

It does look like a graphically pretty game, just hope eng. VA's are planned.

Unfortunately not, J-Stars games often don't get English voice acting because often times a large portion of their cast don't and have never had English voices.

Finally saw Battle of Gods today, the uncut/extended version (I peaked at a bit of the theatrical version, but only the first ten minutes or so). I can honestly say it's, by far, one of the best productions this property has had in a long time. It is easily one of the most fun and exciting Dragon Ball movies, and I think it's largely helped by its length and that it's not just rushing purely into fighting. It can be a little over the top and silly, but that's the trademark of this franchise, and I'm happy to see it remain true to the sorts of things Toriyama himself would do (of course, he was involved, so that helps). I love the characters just hanging out; hell, some of the best filler from the original Z anime was basically this, but Battle of Gods adds in the high-stakes from a genuinely threatening figure... who's just there to enjoy the party (until Majin Buu pisses him off). Speaking of, I love Beerus already. He's a great addition to the ever growing roster of characters, not truly a villain, with a memorable and endearing personality that both makes him stand out from the standard stock movie villains, but also blend in with those that originated in the manga. He's awesome, and I'm pleased to know that he'll have a role in Revival of F, so that will be interesting (especially given his own dislike of Freeza).

I've also got to say, the English cast is on point. These are probably some of the best performances they've done in a while, and I was especially pleased to hear Meredith McCoy reprise her role as 18. I think her dry, deeper, monotone delivery really suits the cyborg just a little more, being suitably cold, rude, a bit aloof, except around those she cares about (i.e. Krillin and Marron). Not that there's anything wrong with Colleen Clinkenbeard's more youthful, cuter take (which is a bit more in line with her Japanese voice), but I don't think it quite fits her personality. And Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair do a great job with Beerus and Whis, making them sound dignified and strong, but still conveying the sillier aspects of their personalities. Oddly, I was almost a little surprised to remember it was Kara Edwards voicing Videl; her voice has softened up a bit from what I remember (I can't wait for the English dub of Kai's Buu saga to hear more), but then I also remember she had a habit of blending Videl's and Goten's voices together in DBZ that I don't mind that she's altered how she does the voice.

The only voice I'm a little annoyed with, and it's strange since I didn't mind it before, is probably Sean Schemmel's version of King Kai. It does suit the character, but it seems to get a little too garbled up, that I almost wish Schemmel tried something new that could retain the goofiness, but be easier to understand. Minor complaint, though.

Battle of Gods has skyrocketed to the top of my favorite DBZ movies, and, hell, I'd say it's just one of my favorite movies, because it just does so much right. I really hope it's setting a new standard for Toei to work toward, because DBZ is a property that deserves more good films with this level of fun and excitement. Not that there aren't movies in the series that manage this (the best examples would probably be Dead Zone, World's Strongest, the first Broly film, Bojack Unbound, and, maybe, Wrath of the Dragon, though that one had the worst dub of all of these), but they tend to be too short to really feel like anything more than an extended TV episode and an ultra-compressed story arc all at once. Can't wait to see how Revival of F stacks up.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT FUNI JUST ANNOUNCED THEY GOT THE RIGHTS TO REVIVAL OF F! YES! (Note, they will be screening it this Summer in Japanese with English subtitles, but this likely means a dub is not very far behind, especially given their recent simul-dubbing practices.)

EDIT2: Correction, the English dub will premiere this Summer, but the original Japanese version, with subtitles will be screened first in April.

Edited by Zaysho

Awesome to see Funi jumping on this so quickly. I'm more of a casual DBZ guy, but I LOVED Battle of Gods, so I'm looking forward to seeing this and glad that I won't have to wait years for a dub. (Especially since Beerus is making another appearance. He quickly became my favorite DBZ character.)

The English release of Battle of Gods was largely, if not completely, held up by 20th Century Fox, who I believe have (had?) film rights of some kind over this property currently. I'm more than pleased that they seem to be out of the way now (their logo doesn't even appear on the page), so FUNimation can do their thing quicker. Can't wait!

Great news that its being released much quicker this time. Guessing no word on a European release? If not, that's fine. I can wait till the Dvd like Battle of Gods, would just be nice to see it in cinemas here :-)

Yeah so...

From the Kanzenshuu forums:

Okay so unless this is happening off-world, they should be able to sense freeza and his cohorts I.E. stupid excuses are stupid.

Goten and trunks would be an asset considering they could at least plow through Freeza soldier grunts with ease.

Great news that its being released much quicker this time. Guessing no word on a European release? If not, that's fine. I can wait till the Dvd like Battle of Gods, would just be nice to see it in cinemas here :-)

Well, Italy will get the movie by the end of this year. That's in Europe.

Yeah so...

Okay so unless this is happening off-world, they should be able to sense freeza and his cohorts I.E. stupid excuses are stupid.

Goten and trunks would be an asset considering they could at least plow through Freeza soldier grunts with ease.

I feel like Toriyama is doing his damnest to forget the Buu saga exists. Goten, Trunks, and Buu(the three most prominent additions to that saga) get the most humiliating defeats in Battle of Gods and now they're not even appearing in Revival of F.

Damn yo lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like Toriyama is doing his damnest to forget the Buu saga exists. Goten, Trunks, and Buu(the three most prominent additions to that saga) get the most humiliating defeats in Battle of Gods and now they're not even appearing in Revival of F.

Damn yo lol.

Especially since Majin Buu, even after the Buu saga, is still one of the most powerful characters in that universe.

And one of my favourite characters from the series, alongside Mr. Satan and Piccolo.

I feel like Toriyama is doing his damnest to forget the Buu saga exists. Goten, Trunks, and Buu (the three most prominent additions to that saga) get the most humiliating defeats in Battle of Gods and now they're not even appearing in Revival of F.

Damn yo lol.

I don't think hes trying to void them out of existence, but it is pretty dumb how hes excluding them from this movie.

(Woo, 5000th post again! only 50 more and I'll be caught up.)

Bump because cool stuff:

So guys, this is a thing.

sUcJdUQ.jpg

Super Butoden 2 woo.

God damn please announce this game for america already! I want this soooooooo bad!!

• Thumbs Up 1