Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) | A Cartoon Network Original - USA: April 4th, 2016 | UK: April 25th | Escape from Monster Island / Princess Buttercup

Ming Ming Hatsune

Wait, this is CGI? I thought this was terrible 2D. Yeesh.

Powerpuff Girls Rule says Hi. That special was so dumb and insulting it hurt.

Well that's what the writers of Powerpuff Girls Rule had, otherwise they wouldn't have taken a giant dump on the tone the series is supposed to have.

What guarantees do I have that it's not the same case here?

I liked PowerPuff girls rule. ( I assume we're talking about the DVD special, not the sped up broadcast.)

I think a lot of people are just clinging to whatever they can because this is all new and different. 

...Yeah, okay, I'm really, really getting sick of the assumption that it's impossible to hate something "new and different" without that being a result of some inane, closed-minded bias. Choppy or not (which I do believe it is), I think the animation they're using for this special is really crappy, not because it's "different", but because I personally find it ugly and unappealing and it gets me less excited about the special as a whole. Why is this such a difficult concept to get around?

• Thumbs Up 4

Mojo Jojo and the girls themselves are fucking hideous. The rest are whatever.

Not really looking forward to this at all, to be honest. And no, not "because it's different". It just doesn't look appealing.

And here I am still not knowing how this is awful.

I mean god the animation is choppy, but remember that the original PPG was no Ren & Stimpy tier show either when it came to animation fluidity (hell, most classic CN shows weren't (Ed Edd n Eddy was the exception and you know it)). It cut corners and focused less on movements, more on poses, letting the art style for both the character designs and the environments fill the void for you.. kind of like this is doing. 

Sure, it's lost the iconic, simply geometric and nifty '1950s world-of-tomorrow' look and yeah it is weird to see the girls and the rest of the cast in this different style, but its obviously a one-off and the style itself is still pretty nice at least IMO. I'd certainly dig an original series in this style. It's very "indie".

• Thumbs Up 5

The style I find does not match for the choppy animation. Honestly, it would work as a still image, or even normal CGI if you ask me, but it doesn't work for this poor man's attempt at fake 2d.

The original show may have been cheap, but it had an appealing look tthat worked with its limitations.

• Thumbs Up 3

Right, and the big problem most of us have is that we don't like the art style. The simple geometric designs was what made the originals so appealing in the first place, but even as a replacement I just find this... ugly. It's not appealing to my eyes.

That and what was excusable in a long running show from the late 90's is not as passable in a one-off special in 2013. I think the 2003 movie is still the best the series has ever looked, which is kind of sad considering it's just over ten years old now. 

that and it didn't do that weird "hand coming out of their forehead" thing the new one does which kind of helps

I just can't find what so offensive about it. What people see as ugly I see as stylistic and has a interesting art style overall. I also think it shares a lot of similarities with the original, which I can't really place right now due to how little I've seen of it.

I know it's not most people's cup a tea, but I think statements like "taking a dump on the series" are way overdramatic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked the designs.

But the animation in that clip is pretty ugly looking. I didn't expect it to look this choppy. The scenes they showcased didn't seem to have much going on though, so I'll have to see for myself once this airs

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay after looking at the trailer, it looks okay, im guessing its going to be like the amazing world of gumball in terms of animation so I don't think it will look choppy in the final production but I honestly don't like the style too much for a show like this.

I've only just now watched the trailer on a decent sized screen as opposed to my iPhone screen. I take back what I said before about the art and animation not looking awful. It really does look a lot worse than I though. Why change something so recognisable and iconic, especially when just for a one-off special where much of the audience will be fans of the original designs? Ew. It looks so cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I really don't get is how people are saying this looks like Samurai Jack

?????

how

Just because it doesn't have outlining? Really?

i1raUfQNryWSl.png

iEBqzUS2nW0jl.png

iblgrYw8sRPbgD.png

Yeah I really don't like this.

Good god Mojo looks like he just got caught doing 2 pounds of crystal meth!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow that sure did look crappy. I don't like the backgrounds and the lighting. The animation looked bad from that trailer, but I gotta see more to get a good sense of it, plus how it's used in an action scene. I wasn't expecting PPG Movie quality animation, but I wasn't expecting Johnny Test that kind of animation either.

And I still hate the new designs for the girls. Mojo doesn't look that good either.

I'm sure the writing, the jokes, the action scenes, the plot overall, all of it will probably be good. I'm just not sure if I can get past the look of it to enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 3

The artstyle didn't look too bad with the just girls in the poster, but seeing the stills Discoid posted, especially when applied to everyone else...yeah, it looks like crap.

Only thing worse is the animation. They may as well should had made it all CG rather than this mix of flash 2D and CG animation, it looks extraordinarily cheap.

Well at least I know people would find my art style hideous. :v

I personally dislike the artstyle for this short because it was a significant alteration of what was already a fine design that I found to not only be unnecessary, but also executed poorly.

I think that's different from someone who traditionally draws in a similar artstyle.

I like the character designs Im just not a fan of the art style. It looks like its in its beta stages

You guys get mad at the art style, I'm just going to enjoy the special. COME AT ME BRO.

One thing I really don't get is how people are saying this looks like Samurai Jack

?????

how

Just because it doesn't have outlining? Really?

It's because of the art style. It's acrylic paint, but computerised.

Samurai Jack was acrylic paint...but actually painted. All the backgrounds for that show were hand painted, this show's art is trying to imitate that with computers.

It's not going too well. It looks like it's trying too hard to imitate that show and failing by being too modern for its own good and too bouncy, something you'd see developed in flash.

I'm actually quite sad everyone is like AHHH THIS LOOKS LIKE CRAP, I DUN LIKE IT.

I don't know but it reminds me a lot of David O'Reilly's work. I'm not even bothered by the art style of the new special, they're still instantly recognisable as the Powerpuff girls, at least it's something new after all we had multiple series and a movie of the original visual look. It gives this special just a little bit of extra umph, look at other franchises, Transformers, TMNT, even Ben 10 a relatively young series compared to the rest has gone through various visual changes.

As for the animation it is a bit jumpy atm but it's not much to go on with all the cuts in the trailer. I'll judge it more when the whole thing is out.

It's because of the art style. It's acrylic paint, but computerised.

Samurai Jack was acrylic paint...but actually painted. All the backgrounds for that show were hand painted, this show's art is trying to imitate that with computers.

It's not going too well. It looks like it's trying too hard to imitate that show and failing by being too modern for its own good and too bouncy, something you'd see developed in flash.

Most shows are done computerized now. Even the incredibly well done ones (and yes, most indie animation films are too). Just because it's done on a computer doesn't mean anything about the end product; it can look incredible just as a handdrawn piece can look terrible and lifeless like Flash (see: Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, the like).

That's nothing to say about this movie, just pointing that out.

After finally watching the clip, I have to say that the designs aren't that bad (except for Mojo Jojo) but it looks choppy and it's so obvious this was made in Flash. It's just unappealing to look at. Maybe the writing will make this special better...or worse.