Awoo.

Who else wants another game like Generations?

Bright Eyes

I think it is ironic that, after the release of Generations, everyone is shouting out for radical changes in the franchise. I see many people argue against boost, the modern gameplay level designs being too corridor-like and even people arguing for a reboot. (By the way guys a reboot is never going to happen. I can totally see SEGA willing to overhaul their biggest money spinner when they are in a financial crisis).

Am I missing something? Did loads of fans hate Generations or something? I thought Generations was easily the best game, by miles, since Sonic and Knuckles. I mean apart from the lack of Tails and Knuckles being playable and the shortage and unvaried levels I thought Genertions was very good.

If they made another Generations were Tails and Knuckles were unlockable characters (like Sonic CD) and the levels were expansive like Seaside Hill I would honestly think it would be the perfect Sonic game. Even if they made a more of the same Generations I would think that would be really good.

So, who else would want a game very similar to Generations?

Edited by Bright Eyes
  • Thumbs Up 4

Generations was an awesome game, but it was a 20th birthday nostalgia game. It had no original levels or content, just re-dome versions of older levels. I support elements from Gens coming back (Modern gameplay and levels as expansive as Seaside Hill is one), but I want original levels and content.

• Thumbs Up 3

Generations was an awesome game, but it was a 20th birthday nostalgia game. It had no original levels or content, just re-dome versions of older levels. I support elements from Gens coming back (Modern gameplay and levels as expansive as Seaside Hill is one), but I want original levels and content.

That's what I want too (original content).

But that's barely much different to Generations. It's just a visual change.

...Eh, wait for the 30th anniversary. Then we get enough stuff to justify Gens 2.

I want a game similar to Generations. Not Generations 2 tongue.png

(although actually I probably wouldn't care if they remade the levels again)

Edited by Bright Eyes

When I mean I want another game like Generations I mean I want a game that plays like Generations. The modern aspect particularly (because that's what SEGA will probably continue with).

Just so people don't get confused :P

• Thumbs Up 3

I like your idea of Gens 2 but it won't happen. I would love it to, but it won't. Although, what with Sega having money problems it could be a way for them to gain some money.

When I mean I want another game like Generations I mean I want a game that plays like Generations. The modern aspect particularly (because that's what SEGA will probably continue with).

Just so people don't get confused tongue.png

Than you mean "a game with Unleashed-style gameplay". :V ...Maybe, it's kinda fun.

I really don't want another game like Generations, I mean, it was a good game and all, but....(and this might have to do to me not being into the classic games as much as the modern games) I didn't see anything special about it. It was beautiful game, and game-play wise, it was excellent, but the plot was atrocious, the majority of the voice acting was meh, the lack of several characters that could have been used (mainly referring to Fang and Marine) and the terrible boss battles put me off a little bit, as well as the terrible level pallet. 4 City Levels? Sky Sanctuary? Planet Wisp!?

I personally would much rather just have DLC. SEGA, Where's my God Damn Ice Cap and Sweet Mountain DLC's?

Than you mean "a game with Unleashed-style gameplay". :V ...Maybe, it's kinda fun.

Noooo, not Unleashed.

I replayed the Unleashed day levels again (I never beat Unleashed it was so goddamn awful) and they are terrible. The modern aspect of Generations has a much better design with expansive levels that aren't one long corridor.

I want Generations to be the focus and not Unleashed ^^

I really don't want another game like Generations, I mean, it was a good game and all, but....(and this might have to do to me not being into the classic games as much as the modern games) I didn't see anything special about it. It was beautiful game, and game-play wise, it was excellent, but the plot was atrocious, the majority of the voice acting was meh, the lack of several characters that could have been used (mainly referring to Fang and Marine) and the terrible boss battles put me off a little bit, as well as the terrible level pallet. 4 City Levels? Sky Sanctuary? Planet Wisp!?

I personally would much rather just have DLC. SEGA, Where's my God Damn Ice Cap and Sweet Mountain DLC's?

I'm not saying Generations was perfect. But it was damn good. Yes the plot was terrible and the levels were not varied but in terms of sequel making these are easy enough to fix. The gameplay was great though and that's the big thing about Generations.

No.

Classic Sonic sucked. They got the fundamentals of the gameplay wrong, and thus everything that follows from it is wrong. It's about as much of an insult as Sonic 4.

Modern Sonic was lame. It's the same rigid, shallow, memorization-based gameplay as Unleashed, with a few tweaked values and a few more platforms to jump on. It doesn't solve the problems of 3D Sonic, it just gives you something flashy to look at between the mediocre 2D sections.

The story barely existed. They just got new writers, and ones with some pretty solid experience, but they give us a story that could've been written by an intern on a napkin during their lunch break.

And (while I know this isn't quite what you were getting at), I don't want another game that's living in the past. I don't want another game that is preying on nostalgia. I want something that's going to move this series forward.

If they make another game like Generations, I won't be buying it.

• Thumbs Up 8

No.

Classic Sonic sucked. They got the fundamentals of the gameplay wrong, and thus everything that follows from it is wrong. It's about as much of an insult as Sonic 4.

Modern Sonic was lame. It's the same rigid, shallow, memorization-based gameplay as Unleashed, with a few tweaked values and a few more platforms to jump on. It doesn't solve the problems of 3D Sonic, it just gives you something flashy to look at between the mediocre 2D sections.

The story barely existed. They just got new writers, and ones with some pretty solid experience, but they give us a story that could've been written by an intern on a napkin during their lunch break.

And (while I know this isn't quite what you were getting at), I don't want another game that's living in the past. I don't want another game that is preying on nostalgia. I want something that's going to move this series forward.

Let me try to convince you how wrong you are smile.png

Classic Sonic was great and way better than Sonic fricking 4. What fundamentals are wrong? The minor changes in bouncing and rolling? I mean seriously? What about the fantastic level designs that the Classic Sonic levels had? So erm .. no.

The Modern Green Hill was lame I would give you that but every other level is expansive and filled with many places you can go to. I'd agree that Unleashed was massively on rails but Generations? Sorry, no.

The story was lame. I agree with you there.

So I kind of disagree with you tongue.png

Edited by Bright Eyes

I agree with the opening post in this topic completely. I think that Sonic Generations absolutely nailed it. A game that plays like Sonic Generations but set up like Sonic 3 & Knuckles (different playable characters like Tails and Knuckles with alternate routes and new areas to explore) would be amazing in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dude just let me tell you right now,

THIS IS NOT A FIGHT YOU WANT TO START.

Why not? I must defend my Generations in a campy and silly way :P

Dude just let me tell you right now,

THIS IS NOT A FIGHT YOU WANT TO START.

Come on man, he's not that hard to handle. You just have to keep coming up with counter-arguments to his points.

But this is getting off topic.

No, not really. Generations is great as an special game for the 20th anniversary title for nostalgia/throwback and that's it. I don't want anymore games like that and I'd rather see the series move forward instead of nostalgia whoring.

Did you even buy Generations at all? I remember you was complaining alot.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

As someone who really liked Generations, I'd like to see something different for the next game. Not because it was bad, but because I honestly have no idea what they could do to keep this interesting. Unleashed and Generations were both so formulaic that it's hard to think of how to build on top of them in meaningful ways.