Awoo.

Ryan Drummond Almost Returned

TheDanimator

Just when you think the voice acting wars are dead and gone, this shit happens, things can't be peaceful in this fanbase for a change? And really this basically confirms Sega are just a bunch of hacks, and killed any likability I've had for them.

• Thumbs Up 5

People keep referring to the voice acting war, but 11 pages in any and all ire has been directed to Sega, not any of the actors in question or their respective fan bases as one would expect. All things considered, it's been pretty civil and even funny at bits, so I see no reason to even bring it up other than irrelevant dooming-and-glooming. xP

• Thumbs Up 5

And really this basically confirms Sega are just a bunch of hacks, and killed any likability I've had for them.

It wasn't obvious before...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure there was a an article that said Jaheel White was the one they wanted for Classic sonic and not Drummond.

Funny how everyone else, even on the Sega forums, are not getting nearly as worked up about this as you guys. Not a single "fuck SEGA, woe unto me" out of any of them.

While I prefer Jason as the voice of Sonic, I much prefer Ryan's voice over Roger's voice. Nothing against Roger, he's a fine actor but he just doesn't sound like Sonic to me. I honestly don't know why some say that Ryan was terrible in Heroes, I thought that was his best performance in the role, I just wish his voice was more like the tone he used in SA2. Sure, he had some cheesy lines, but I think for some reason people forget that the actors don't write their lines,

I can't believe Ryan was that close to coming back, I'm still not happy that cast has been changed for the 3rd time, but I gotta admit that the thought of having Ryan being the voice of Sonic in Colors and Generations is pretty cool.

I don't understand why Sega would bring an actor in to audition for a role, knowing that they're part of a union if they don't wanna work with union actors, yet alone re-audition... Better yet, ask him to leave his union. Unless Sega didn't know that beforehand but they had have to know from working with Ryan before? Seems kinda stupid for them to go through the entire hassle of the audition process, flying people in from Sega Japan and holding meetings about the situation, and then pretty much give him an ultimatum. Was Ryan's union really asking for that much? but it is Sega we're talking about it. Ryan even blew them away with his audition, I just don't get it.

I'm also not sure if I like how Sega's only willing to pay an actor what's being called "Donuts & Coffee" money (compared to what most people like myself get paid it can't be that horrible), for the star character of their leading franchise. That's kinda cheap if you ask me.

Either way, its a shame how it all went down, I'd love to have Ryan back as Sonic.

Edited by Kamina
  • Thumbs Up 6

https://www.facebook...301088749974458

:V not being a dick or anything

Lol, that's hilarious, sure, from your livestream earlier I learned he was the pizza hut announcer, but man, this just takes it to a new level.

Do you have something against Pizza Hut commericals?

You don't get it do you, sure Ryan had VA work in other high profile videogames, but ummmmm he's the freaking pizza hut announcer.

Lol, that's hilarious, sure, from your livestream earlier I learned he was the pizza hut announcer, but man, this just takes it to a new level.

You don't get it do you, sure Ryan had VA work in other high profile videogames, but ummmmm he's the freaking pizza hut announcer.

Oh my bad not Ryan, I meant Roger Craig Smith.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know that. It seems like he keep poking fun at him cause he done Pizza Hut ads.

Edited by sonfan1984

To be fair to Sega, they don't really have a lot of money so I don't really expect them to pay the actors that much, but good god. It's like Sega's reputation is getting worse and worse.

Having the money to pay him or not, they should have just told him from the beginning what they we're going to give him instead of slapping him in the face like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's nearly the same voice as his Sonic one, just calmer. That's what. :V

But yeah, Roger is pretty decent and could use some improvement, but I hate to see this happened to Ryan since he is my favorite VA of the three Sonic's had. Also I feel bad for Griffith since he was just getting really (read: really) good with the storybook titles and Unleashed, and then vocal fans got him the boot.

All I feel that can be done now is give my condolences to Drummond and Griffith, and a 'good luck' to RCS in shaping up his Sonic voice for future titles, because in all honesty it is a bit lacking in expression variety, albeit still pretty nice I suppose.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 4

Both the interview and a majority of the posts in this thread were an interesting and good read...I thought for sure I was going to get a headache reading anything about Sonic voice actors. Glad I was wrong. smile.png

Anyway, I never did like Ryan Drummond's voice as Sonic (not to mention I'm perfectly fine with Roger Craig Smith after his Sonic voice finally grew on me), but after reading that article I sure do like him as a person more. Such a nice and genuine guy, and he definitely didn't need to be put through the crap that Sega put him through...not once, but twice. Unbelievable.

I know we have only one side of the story, but I honestly can't give Sega the benefit of the doubt in the situation. Sega has been infamous for doing some stupid and ignorant stuff, but this takes the cake! I mean, how are can you ask someone to give up their Union, which is the main source of income for him? Such an ignorant request sounds shady. I think Ryan dodged a bullet there had he obligied; I have a feeling Sega would of screwed him over and he would of had no way to protect himself without an Union.

In the end I'm glad Ryan didn't come back as Sonic. Aside from my personal preference, or lack thereof with him, it looks like it wouldn't of been in Ryan's best interest to accept the job under those ridiculous terms that Sega offered. Sega did him wrong twice, and if there is any silver lining to this situation, I hope Ryan knows that he doesn't have to be associated with a crappy company that is self-destructing. I say he is better off without them.

And since Sega wants to change the voice acting cast every 5 years or so, reverting back to a previous voice actor would of seem counterproductive to the purpose to changing voice actors in the first place. Besides, I'm really enjoying Roger and (most of) the rest of the current cast. I wish them well amid the madness, and I only hope that they can stick around for a while and not get screwed over also as they surely don't deserve it. No one does.

• Thumbs Up 6

• Sonic News

I don't really see how Ryan was "screwed" on the way back. Going by what he said, he was too expensive to hire. Simple as that. Roger Craig Smith clearly had no issue with that very same deal, and he gets loads of work to.

SEGA was interested in hiring him back, the deal wasn't good enough for him. This sort of thing happens all the time in the acting business, doesn't make either side "bad".

• Thumbs Up 4

was his price his own fault or the fault of his union? I admit to having little understanding of unions. I know they can apparently play a part as to why some actors can't play some roles. Usually due to contract or pay.

• Sonic News

was his price his own fault or the fault of his union? I admit to having little understanding of unions. I know they can apparently play a part as to why some actors can't play some roles. Usually due to contract or pay.

The purpose of a union is to protect the pay of its participants. No one can take below a certain pay. That's why when unions go on strike for better wages, people who go to work and take the lower wages, thus hurting the union's cause are called "scabs".

So as long as he's a part of the union, he likely wouldn't have been able to take SEGA's price. Still, its his choice to be a part of that union, and its a good choice as it ensures he only gets work for the pay he wants. It simply meant he was too expensive for SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't really see how Ryan was "screwed" on the way back. Going by what he said, he was too expensive to hire. Simple as that. Roger Craig Smith clearly had no issue with that very same deal, and he gets loads of work to.

SEGA was interested in hiring him back, the deal wasn't good enough for him. This sort of thing happens all the time in the acting business, doesn't make either side "bad".

The thing is, he was told he got the job and that they were glad to have him back. The union situation didn't come up until afterwards. So, he kinda was screwed considering they said he got the job and then they took it away once the union dispute happened. At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

• Thumbs Up 3