Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Stages:Then and now

KHCast

Moving sideways? That never seemed to be a problem for me. Mainly I would use the quickstep mind you, but whenever I naturally moved to the side it never seemed broken. Also I had to use the white text because for some reason the text came out black. and nice to know you took the time to read.

Mind explaining the death eggs problems by the way?

I get the impression that they used Crisis City rather than Soleanna for the Silver battle because the latter reminded people more of the less favourable parts of '06 - a much-hated hub and much-hated boss battle. CC was still '06, of course, but it didn't have quite the same associations. It gave them free rein to wipe the slate for that particular rival battle.

They probably used Crisis City so they didn't need to make another texture set.

No there are differences in some of the textures, a lot of them being slightly lower resolution so the framerate wasn't murdered. Not to mention it looked a shit-load better than the original.

I think he meant "in the Silver rival battle," not "in Generations as a whole." I don't think that adds up when all the other rivals and bosses had unique arenas, though, although using Crisis City again would certainly have been favourable as a time-saving option.

Yeah, though on the other hand the fight they had in mind probably wouldn't have worked in Soleana because it needed a big circle to keep looping on.

Yeah, though on the other hand the fight they had in mind probably wouldn't have worked in Soleana because it needed a big circle to keep looping on.

I dunno, I could easily imagine Soleanna being reworked to be more circular. I mean it's not like all the other levels had any trouble being recognisable despite their complete reworking for new gameplay.

Granted though, there isn't anywhere near as much in the way of big debris for Silver to mess with in Soleanna. Café furniture probably wouldn't quite cut it for ramming massive pillars, piles, and katamaris in Sonic's direction.

Soleanna is also essentially Rooftop Run but bland as shit, so I guess they felt it too redundant to create new resources for when they could just use Crisis City which is a much more interesting locale. Silver is also associated with Crisis City anyway because it's his time, so it worked in a character thing.

I guess they felt the location didn't matter as much because Shadow fought Silver too in Radical Train, so they felt justified in that there was no set place that would work singlularly.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I honestly just don't Understand why they couldn't have just used Soleanna. the debris he threw at you. Sure it made sense, but What was stopping them from making them from making him throw lightposts, cars, boxes, stuff from soleanna? I mean they could have made it still a chase battle. Sonic running through the city section, the Highway,the forest,Train area, etc. I mean it just seemed like it would have made more sense than just re-using CC.

Perhaps they thought that Soleanna was kinda a boring place to have a boss fight compared with the others, which is kinda true, but then it's a shame as Soleanna Old Town and Crisis City (and possibly Aquatic Base) are the only areas in '06 that really stood out as having had work on them and being vaguely original.

I did think though that they still could've used Soleanna, but have taken liberties with the source material to make it more interesting. Like how they completely changed Egg Dragoon and Death Egg to better suit their needs. For example, I thought perhaps a ruined version of Soleanna, so you'd still have the recognisable landmarks, but in the firey style of Crisis City. Or perhaps running through Soleanna trying to beat Silver while everything becomes dark and distorted with those large blue and red orbs that appear in the End of The World level, perhaps even knocking silver into them or something.

Soleanna is also essentially Rooftop Run but bland as shit, so I guess they felt it too redundant to create new resources for when they could just use Crisis City which is a much more interesting locale. Silver is also associated with Crisis City anyway because it's his time, so it worked in a character thing.

I guess they felt the location didn't matter as much because Shadow fought Silver too in Radical Train, so they felt justified in that there was no set place that would work singlularly.

Yeah, it might heave people who never played 06 wondering why Silver was in a Dreamcast game.