Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Stages:Then and now

KHCast

The game seems to be more fine tuned than Unleashed from a gameplay perspective. As much as I loved Unleashed, I couldn't enjoy the linear hallways as much as Generations.

I was annoyed that they even put Sky Sanctuary in in the first place. Ice Cap, Hydrocity, Lava Reef, hell, fucking Sandopolis would have been a better choice.

But that's all dust under the rug now.

I have Unleashed. I'll play Rooftop Run on that. I don't like Generations' version.

Seaside Hill? It's fucking Heroes.

And Crisis City is 06, whats your point exactly?

Rooftop Run in Unleashed was full of corridors. That honestly took the fun out for me. So I was happy that they made it a little more explorable and fresh at the same time. I just wish it was longer.

just not happy with how bad they handled my favourite Modern stage in the game, they broke up the consistent flow that Unleashed had, shit on the quick step part and ruined the ending robot smash up, the music isn't even on par with Unleashed's version either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dunno about the Unleashed RR theme being better. The instruments all had their moments, but it felt like they were competing for the spotlight in the song. Modern RR's theme synchronized it all together and made a seamless blend of the instruments. No one instrument had the spotlight, but none were left in the wake of another either.

Edited by Bobbyjosh

The quick step is exactly the same, the level has less flow due to actually platforming, the music doesn't sound like a fucking mess, and that robot smash up was always fucking boring.

if it was always fucking boring then they just made it Abysmally boring then by making Sonic run a straight path with a few scattered enemies and 2 lasers to dodge.

the original RR song is far superior to the remix because it actually has direction and why the fuck did they cut the chorus out of the remix?

there was plenty of platforming in the original, the re-make is fucking slow, lame and has no sense of speed. The platforming was lacklustre and felt more like a chore, and how did they add difficulty? oh, by adding swinging axes everywhere in stupid places (especially Classic's stage)

Jesus.

According to what I see in the opening post, this topic was meant to be comparing Generations's stages to their original counterparts. If you want to have the same tired arguments about Sonic games, then take it elsewhere.

And maybe I wouldn't have to come into the Sonic section and have some peace and quiet for once if you guys would not take this shit to the status updates.

• Thumbs Up 7

and what do you do for the last 2 minutes in RR in Generations? oh yeah... HOLD THE BOOST BUTTON

at least you could smash shit up in Unleashed, you're lucky to hit any of the enemies in RR Gens because their hit box is so tiny.

Edited by Super Soniko

I'm referring to the confrontational attitude and ire some of you are displaying to each other in this topic. Considering the status arguments a while ago surrounding this subject, I'm not buying that you guys are playing nice.

I was more or less referring to the fact that It's probably the best Modern gameplay has been when it comes to open gameplay.tongue.png

I don't see how Seaside Hill is somehow more open than this game's other levels. There's that spot on the beach that kind of looks open but there's no reason to not go straight and it ends so quickly. There's also that spot where you have to jump to a cannon that is on some rectangles with a really bad camera angle. Aside from its little mini games this level has nothing to call its own.

• Promotion 1

Modern Rooftop run is better than the original in almost every way.

And Modern City Escape beats the crap out of the original.

Also, If you hated Planet Wisp, then that level did a great job in being a final level.

Edited by -Big the Cat-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Death Egg Zone (Sonic 3) did a lot better job than planet Wisp.

True.

I'd say even Scrap Brain zone did a better job.

But Planet Wisp is still probably one of my favorite final levels in the whole series.

It would be cool if you or somebody did a comparison for the less stellar 3DS Stages/bosses.

Could we like have one Generations topic without everyone bitching that it's terrible? I'm really tired of this shit. I didn't even know Generations was a bad game :S I swear half the people on this forum seem to just hate Sonic and have nothing positive to say about any game.

To me, apart from Green Hill, most of the levels tended to be better than their originals. Planet Wisp was kind of tedious but I still really enjoyed the Modern level. Chemical Plant as Classic was much worse than the original but Modern's took it in different enough a direction that I don't directly compare the two all that much. I actually like the new Speed Highway more because of it's aesthetic design and the fact the Dawn section isn't in because it felt like it didn't fit the rest of the level. And the shortcuts are crazy as shit like jumping on the chopper at the very start.

And Crisis City was amazing, but you expect that coming from me tongue.png people say it's nothing like the original but aside from the boarding and rail grinding all the elements are there. The setting, the sections of the music, the dramatic glass shattering, the tornado carrying cars and the goal post and stuff like the last two sections of the original level, the platforming around the bottom of circular buildings, the giant loop in Modern's level, and the part where you bounce back and forth on springs. It's just a lot more subtle about it considering the source material tongue.png

To me GHZ was just the worst stage because it's tutorial. It's not that it's terrible because it's badly designed or broken, it's just not very good because of it being a tutorial stage. It needed a bit more balance between tutorial and being fun and not being so automated like the original. Actually, a lot of the elements in the original are not present.

I enjoyed perhaps all the Modern levels more than the Classic levels, btw. GHZ and Sky Sanctuary are toss ups.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 6

I enjoyed them all. Except maybe Planet Wisp.

They're not the pinnacle of Sonic level design, but they're damn sure better than the woeful garbage seen in the series from SA2 up till Unleashed. At least I had fun consistantly throughout the game rather the continually running into something that pissed me off so much that I lost the will to continue.

And I don't see why people are so confrontational about Generations. People can hate it however much they want to.

Fuck, I despise SA2 and think its perhaps one of the worst Sonic games ever to be made, and I still don't get that much shit from people for taking what is, a rather unpopular standpoint.

Classic stages, except for GHZ and Planet Wisp, have great level design with lots of good platforming and fun stage specific gimmicks but the physics are broken and the overpowered spindash can be used to break the game by just skipping huge parts of the level.

Now the modern stages are hugely overrated. They are just like the boost ridden, scripted events shit fest with 2D platforming (just air boost over the whole section) that was Unleashed day with a nostalgic reskin but not as horrendously cheap, unfair and frustrating thanks to invisible walls, less bottomless pits and little to none of the boosting over water while drifting insta death bullshit.

Modern GHZ, Chemical Plant, Rooftop Run see above

Speed Highway and City escape are an absolute disgrace. Not only are they a chore to play but they butcher and ruin the original levels from SA1 and SA2. Where's the at Dawn segment where you race traffic while avoiding badnik patrol cars and the rooftop hopping that lets you avoid the dangerous roads? Also I want my giant fountain dammit, the one that launches you into the air! City escape Generations is just a bastardized demo version with some fancy landscape gardening and newly installed overhead power cables for grinding on. The running down hills are gone and so is the grinding down handrails bit for an overextended GUN truck chase where you hold the boost button

Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, Crisis City and Planet Wisp are great (except for the 2D).

Edited by neezTHEnightopian

I can totally appreciate people not liking the fact that At Dawn isn't in Generations Speed Highway but personally it seemed like it came out of a completely different level.

I also find Speed Highway lots of fun, it's kind of what I wanted from it tbf. Now City Escape though, I loved it until the crappy 2D section and the truck sequence that goes on for way, waaay too long. This makes it one of my least favourite levels in the game - as much as there's a lot of boost to win considering the formula, in most levels you do at least do a little more than holding X, like the drift segments or something. The GUN Truck certainly overstayed it's welcome this time round.

Edited by Semi-colon e

overall the game is satisfying in terms of consistency and i do love the whole trick ramp gimmick although i wish it wasn't limited to those ramps only, and the visuals are amazing (as is most of the soundtrack) as for it being an anniversary game, it lacked content for it's previous game's history and felt threadbare, it would if been cool to have it set out like Sonic Jam with all the trailers, comics and info. The skill set gimmick was also a nice idea, but most of them were useless "Spawn a Skateboard anywhere" um.. why?, and the fact Super Sonic is slower than Sonic...? is'nt Super Sonic supposed to be ten times the top speed of Sonic? and yet he still fails to outrun the GUN Truck.

overall it is a good game, but i can't stand what they did to Rooftop Run Modern, i hate everything about it but the theme and visuals, i actually like Classic's version though.

i actually liked the mission where you board through most of the level too, that was a cool take.

i guess i'm just bitter with how they handled RR for me, i mean its not a BAD game but it isn't AMAZING like everyone claims it to be.

Edited by Super Soniko

I can totally appreciate people not liking the fact that At Dawn isn't in Generations Speed Highway but personally it seemed like it came out of a completely different level.

I also find Speed Highway lots of fun, it's kind of what I wanted from it tbf. Now City Escape though, I loved it until the crappy 2D section and the truck sequence that goes on for way, waaay too long. This makes it one of my least favourite levels in the game - as much as there's a lot of boost to win considering the formula, in most levels you do at least do a little more than holding X, like the drift segments or something. The GUN Truck certainly overstayed it's welcome this time round.

I agree about City Escape. The major set pieces (i.e. the street boarding and the GUN truck chase) take up too much of the level. Though I will definitely say that the street boarding section is infinitely better in Generations than it is in SA2. There's so much more to do and it controls so much better.