Awoo.

Teen Titans Go! (New 2013 Animated Series)

Johnny Boy

This episode, about Raven having problems with her teeth, is actually kind of funny.

I'm scared.

I've given it another chance a few times, viewing it as a completely different show rather than a spinoff and... I still really can't get into it. The artstyle kinda grew on me, and I actually find it kind of cute. The animation could be better, but after watching it a few more times, It's far from the worst.

However, I just don't find most of the jokes all that funny. At most I chuckled at the jokes, but that's really it... It's... just not all that funny. 

Sorry guys, I guess this show's not for me.

(And a little bit off of subject, but I have a feeling Vore fetishists are going to have a fun time with the meatball episode... X_x)

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!

Oh god only Cyborg would want to throw a Meatball Party, but poor Raven. I don't like going to the dentist either. I laughed everytime Beast Boy was attacked by the creature though. xD And when he said "Why does it keep attacking me?!" I thought "Well you annoy the hell out of her Beast Boy, of course it would attack you first because you're the one that kept annoying her the most." :V The part when Raven was playing with her Pretty Pretty Pegasus dolls was hilarious, especially when she made them kiss. xD This is my favorite episode to date now. :3

Edited by Ravenfreak

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone catch the new episode with Terra? It was one of the best so far IMO.

Not to mention the shipping wars have begun anew.

I honestly hated it but liked it at the same time. I absolutely hate the BBxRae paring with every cell within my body in the animated universe and well i'm 50/50 on the relationship here in this universe because it's not cannon to the original series but it's still the animated universe, just not the same one as the original series. I don't like how rude they wrote Terra in either, but she wasn't the nicest character in the comics so yeah, and i've noticed even though this is a parody of the orignal series, it's sort of based off the 90's comics moreso than the original series. (Which was based off the 80's comics where BB and Rae were not a couple! Hence why they never became anything more than close friends in the original series. I have things to back this up on my blog...) So overall the episode was well written and looking beyond that horrible ending it was funny in many cases. It gets a 6/10 for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QyWM8M-A6OU

anybody saw this interview with the voice cast? they said that the reason why this show exist is because the fans wanted the show to come back but they are aware of the criticism and the voice of cyborg said something that fans of other batman and tmnt and other tv shows based off comic books can relate 

• Thumbs Up 1

Khary Payton is correct on this subject, I remember back in the day when the original series came out people were complaining about it being too childish compared to the comics, due to the anime-ish (Murikanime) style. Everytime this argument would pop up there would always be someone saying "The comics don't equal the cartoon." I still stand by this, Teen Titans Go doesn't equal the original series. In a sense the show did return, but in a different form hence a different universe. But i'm glad you posted that video, as I didn't know it existed until now so thank you. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the show has been renewed for a second season.

To be honest, the show is starting to really grow on me. Yeah, there are a couple of episodes that seem like they just don't fit the Titans's personalities, but overall it has been a beast in the ratings.

Edited by Scheming Minor

xD I've known that for some time now, I'm an admin on a Teen Titans forum and the site owner actually posted about that a while back. I told them the company makes very acurate toys since you know they make the Sonic stuff. tongue.png Also did anyone else see the horrible yet funny episode the other day? Oh and I am very pissed off that it's been switched to Wednesdays so I now have to rely on watching it on the internet now. >_< But EWW BBxRAE LAME! Seriously I hated that portion of the episode, that's my most hated couple of any fandom seriously. But thank god they didn't end up together in the end yay! biggrin.png

But thank god they didn't end up together in the end yay! biggrin.png

Then you better get ready for the next episode because Raven gets split into her five different personalities. Needless to say, the "passion" side of her REALLY likes Beast Boy.

Damnit that crap again? >_< It was hinted at that her love side will hit on any guy in front of her in the Teen Titans Go comic books. She hit on Robin too, but yet again that universe is different from this one... Maybe it's good that it's airing on Wednesdays now and that I can't watch it on tv. Man the show went from alright to meh within a few episodes. Hopefully the next one will end on a happy note like the last one, and the two don't end up together at all and they never bring it up again, it's starting to get old. >_> Plus where the hell is the RobxStar stuff, the stuff that was actually cannon in the original series and New Teen Titans comics? Dx

Damnit that crap again? >_< It was hinted at that her love side will hit on any guy in front of her in the Teen Titans Go comic books. She hit on Robin too, but yet again that universe is different from this one... Maybe it's good that it's airing on Wednesdays now and that I can't watch it on tv. Man the show went from alright to meh within a few episodes. Hopefully the next one will end on a happy note like the last one, and the two don't end up together at all and they never bring it up again, it's starting to get old. >_> Plus where the hell is the RobxStar stuff, the stuff that was actually cannon in the original series and New Teen Titans comics? Dx

If I recall correctly, that got sidelined for a love triangle between Robin, Starfire and Speedy in TTG.

• 1 year later...

I heard some people complaining about Teen Titans Go in the statuses and...

that was really funny. I thought this show was "bad"

That isn't the real TTG version of Trigon. This is.

Because turning one of the greatest evils in the DC Universe into a horrible parody of 50-60's sitcoms was a good idea apparently 

I heard some people complaining about Teen Titans Go in the statuses and...

that was really funny. I thought this show was "bad"

Dude, subjectivity aside, even the worst things can have their instances of good quality. Is this attempt at calling out people for having a negative opinion of the stuff really necessary?

• Thumbs Up 4

Because turning one of the greatest evils in the DC Universe into a horrible parody of 50-60's sitcoms was a good idea apparently 

I laughed. The entire show is just one entire parody. Getting angry over a comedy show turning villains into.. comedy villains seems silly.

Dude, subjectivity aside, even the worst things can have their instances of good quality. Is this attempt at calling out people for having a negative opinion of the stuff really necessary?

Why yes, discussions take place on discussion forums. This is the Teen Titans Go! thread, so discussions can take place on here. Posting in statuses that disappear after 5 seconds is meaningless, talk in here. I'm not sure why anyone would be bothered by me taking a look at the show, enjoying it, and questioning why people think it's a bad show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because A. Shows can have flukes. Look at Modern Spongebob. The majority is shit but there's the occasional good episode in there. B. The jokes in of themselves are terrible most of the time and completely unfunny. C. I don't care if it is a comedy show. It doesn't give them an excuse to ruin the characters, especially Beast Boy and Cyborg and D. The way you posted your message made it sound like you were throwing others' opinions out because you said ''I thought this was meant to be ''bad'' which for the record, you seem to be basing off of one clip.

I'd take the fluke comment more to heart if there weren't hours and hours of footage of hilarious clips from the show. It's a comedy show and.. it's making people laugh. It also seems to be pretty popular. Not every joke will appeal to everyone, that's impossible.

To me, a lot of people are taking this show way too seriously. When it was first announced, I thought it was a shit. But I'm removing those lens and tossing them in the garbage. The show isn't canon and it's not trying to be a sequel to Teen Titans. I take it as a parody, a show that is just off-the-top silly. It's also appealing to a younger audience. Both clips of Trigon were hilarious, and I honestly don't care that Trigon was changed to be... funny... like the rest of the show...

I guess Teen Titans Go is my guilty pleasure. I know it's really stupid but it's nice to just sit back and laugh for once. It's lightheared, over-dramatic, and silly. Will a serious Teen Titans revival come back? Maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but Teen Titans Go is one of the best things they have on CN right now in regards to new mainstays, up there with Gumball and Steven Universe in terms of doing well what it sets out to accomplish. I find the timing and slickness on the verbal and slapstick humor to be just enough to amuse me, if not outright make me laugh a lot of the time. The characters are enjoyable and, although not particularly deep, are nonetheless multifaceted and can display a range of maturity levels, quirks, and flaws that keeps the show from getting stale since they each can fulfill many overlapping narrative roles. Beast Boy and Cyborg can be mature and helpful while Robin can be annoying and immature as shit. Raven's cool nature can be broken with outbursts and steadfastness in her unpopular opinions. Starfire's anger can literally be taken to a place where she completely snaps. And all of them give each other shit, even Starfire, which makes the dynamic relatable and enjoyable. I also feel its reputation as being nothing but random is also unearned, because most of the humor relies on the above adaptability of the characters to work, as well as classic cartoon escalation, and the set-up of long-term payoff. The episode where Starfire and Raven have a day out with Doctor Light is particularly my favorite example of the latter, not only because the build-up was broken in a funny way, but because it showed he isn't just a shitstain villain and has the capacity to be good and even a normal person, with interesting hobbies and preferences.

While it's pretty good as a tradigital show, at times rivaling Gumball in using the popping and minimal slow-ins/slow-outs as a selling point, it's also not afraid to play around with its own animation styles for the sake of plot points or forcing a point to laugh at its self. We've seen really smooth, perhaps straight-ahead animation, puppetry, and an amazing style shift into a 90s Rob Liefeld tragedy that was downright fucking hilarious. And while it has the ability to devolve into sarcasm, it is never negative. I've rarely gotten the feeling that anyone on the show actually gets away with being a dick. A lot of the bad shit the Titans do is framed as being well-meaning or for the sake of trying to compensate for a personal failure, and even then bad actions are almost always punished, and admitting to wrongdoing is rewarded with forgiveness or acceptance of one's self. That really helps with tolerating how fast-paced and loud the show can be. It is a spectacle meant to be enjoyed due to its own overwhelming optimism and artistic liberties. It just makes me smile.

Let's not even get into all of the little DC shout-outs, particularly Batman. Holy shit, I love Batman in this show, because he's so fucking oblivious to the shit going on in Jump City and just having a good ol' time being Batman.

In short, I love this show, and almost wish it didn't have to live in the shadow of its predecessor where it will almost inevitably be compared as a something without any redeeming qualities whatsoever. But hey, the audience seems to like it, so that ensures it will have a decent life-span.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't say I really mind this show either. I don't really follow it, mind you (might get around to it at some point), but based on the episodes and clips I've seen, it's really not worth getting worked up over. As upset as I still am about YJ ending so abruptly, I don't really blame TTG for it, and frankly that's always been the biggest reason for the hatedom.

Plus if you want your "serious DC show" fix, the live action shows airing right now are actually pretty great. Yes, I'd love to see DC superhero cartoons like the DCAU and Young Justice again and I think it'd be cool if it co-existed with this show (variety is good to see in cartoon lineups), but to be honest...I see why it wouldn't be a priority for DC (or CN for that matter) at this time. Who knows what'll happen in the next few years.

At the very least, I have more faith in what DC will do next in cartoons than Marvel who have only really had one cartoon that appealed to me (Spectacular Spidey <3). I probably wouldn't mind their current lineup if I thought the shows had a good balance between action and comedy that I think they're trying to go for, and even then the characterization in USM in particular just really turns me off. It does get a little better in later episodes, but not by much.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, might as well leave these here.

I'm not really good at explaining in detail why I dislike this show but these videos do go over some points that I do legitimately think are bad. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I've said this before, but I guess I'll reiterate.  While the show is far from my favorite and I can understand the humor not being everyone's cup of tea to say the least (as there are many instances where it isn't mine, either), I think actual complaints levied at the show tend to be ill-conceived and convicted solely on criticizing it based on what it's not.  That is, a continuation of the original Teen Titans.  I feel if one is going to criticize the show, at least criticize it for what it is and what it was obviously set out to be, rather than griping about how much it's not what you wanted.  It's like me with Ninja Turtles.  Sure, I want the 80's version to return, but I'm not going to constantly shove it into the face of the 2003 and 2012 series just because "it's not the same thing as my childhood!"

That being said, I feel that TTG is a sort of mixed bag of sorts.  Taking it as a show that ranges from either a parody of the original to a different interpretation altogether, it has moments that to me are a little cringeworthy with how repetitive and obnoxious the humor is (bearing in mind, I found the humor to occasionally border on pretty obnoxious in the original Teen Titans as well), yet there are those moments that are actually pretty laugh out loud funny.  The Trigon episode that was linked earlier, for example, was quite good.  There's also the episode were Robin has to renew his license after destroying the Batmobile, the Thanksgiving episode, the one where Robin's aversion to his chores has him ejected from the tower naked, the episode where Robin's staff breaks, and of course the infamous Young Justice crossover.  Those were actually pretty funny to me.  In all those episodes, the randomness is downplayed considerably, but what randomness that does exist is supported by the narrative.  The obnoxious level is more akin to Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy, rather than.... I don't know, Uncle Grandpa?

There are a notable amount of episodes that I found downright abysmal, don't get me wrong, though.  In addition, there are some aspects of the comedy, particularly on the subjects of romance and attraction, that are just awkward and not funny at best and horn dog levels of creepy at worst.  The overemphasis on Robin and Starfire's relationship, or lack thereof, becomes jarring on more than one occasion.  In fairness, one or more characters are usually shown to be in the wrong, but it gets a little iffy at times.  Might just be my own stinginess for the subject, mind you, but it's still bothersome to me.

Anyway, TTG isn't a fantastic show, but I've grown to enjoy it enough to not hate its existence.  Basically, aside from those select few episodes, it leaves no impression on me whatsoever.  Even the "waffles" episode has some funny bits, because it's easy to relate to how the "game" that Cyborg and Beast Boy play gets on their nerves, and the fact that they are dedicated to the game to the point where they are near death after being tortured by Pain Bot.  It's a sadistic kind of humor where, instead of just quoting 2007-esque preteen humor, it kind of capitalizes on seeing how annoying it really is to the point where it becomes relatably funny.

So yeah, TTG.  Not the best show, but I think its reputation is a little undeserved.  Not because I think more people should like it, mind you, but because I think the actual criticisms are terrible.  Sometimes I see comments about the part where Cyborg wishes for a dog hand instead of a full human body, for example, and how out of character that is for him.  That's a really weird complaint to have for a show of this scope.  If someone doesn't find it funny, that's fair enough, I think, but in that case, criticize it for that.  I compare it to internet parodies like DBZ Abridged.  No one in those parodies are exactly in character, either, and they're not supposed to be.  It's intended to lovingly bastardize the show down to the conceptual level, and while the measure of success tends to be subjective, it's nevertheless the same principle either way and I feel should be criticized as such.  Again, I still want a continuation of the original Teen Titans, but TTG doesn't exactly resonate with that side of me one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem isn't that it's different, the problem is degradation of the characters.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was an entirely new series with new characters. Go is about as fitting to Teen Titans as putting NCIS characters in Chowder.

• Thumbs Up 6