Awoo.

Sailor Moon Crystal

---

My only real gripe with the episode is the expressions. And by expressions, I mean the lack thereof. Serena (I grew up on the English dub. Sue me) keeps making the same vacant, brain-dead face nearly the entire time. So did everyone else. But they aren't all that clumsy and goofy so I don't really care that much.

It's so...boring. It might be nostalgia, but I prefer her over-the-top facefaults she made in the original series. It gave her more personality. If it's like that in the original manga and they want to be more true to it, then that's fine. But if the original source is like that, then they should at least take some artistic liberties somewhere.

It's probably nostalgia. I found the expressions to be fine. Remember, this reboot isn't supposed to be as silly, therefore the character's heads won't be ballooning in size every time they scream or something. I actually thought Usagi's braindead expressions were for the better. It shows how she's not paying attention much to her surroundings, and I think it fits the character if she also gets bad grades and stumbles all the time. Plus, this opens doors for character development. We might see her grow out of that and become a more confident, focused person.

• Thumbs Up 1

I finally got around to watching the first episode, and I have to say... I really liked it.  The plot seems to be pretty well-developed and while I'm a bit disappointed that Usagi ultimately defeats her enemies by crying, I'm hoping that this series will actually have character development where she gradually learns and develops her strength.  Still, I find some of the harsher parts of the episode to be a lot more telling of her character and her own lack of motivation.  Her mother kicks her out of the house for getting bad grades while offering no attempts to help, so it's not too hard to see why she might have a hard time finding the right initiative to work harder.

The animation is absolutely gorgeous aside from a few... awkward shots.  Also, some of the zoom-ins and transitions looked like very basic Flash animation.  The only other problem I have with it is how drab and barren the backgrounds look.  I mean, for the most part, the backgrounds all look like some kind of post-apocalyptic setting where very few people roam freely.  Buuuuut I'm not going to hold it against them, because... you know... it's an anime, and cutting corners is what anime is often known for.  Anyway, the actual animation was pretty beautiful.  Beautiful coloring and excellent lighting throughout the whole episode.

The soundtrack is absolutely incredible.  The orchestral score fits the setting perfectly and does an amazing job sucking you into the moment.  The opening is typical, but delightful, anime kawaii fun and the ending is adorable.

So yeah, minimal complaints.  Great episode so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally managed to watch the first episode and I liked it! ^^ As someone who has only heard of Sailor Moon and seen or two eps of the old show years ago, it certainly kept my attention and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure the animation isn't top notch (the CGI transformation...err) but I love the colours, backgrounds and the character designs and I hope that Toei animates some of the more epic episodes with a bigger budget. The music was also a highlight; I love the orchestral piece at the beginning and the transformation music is great! Oh, and Luna is adorable! I can't wait till we meet Artemis. <3

Anyways, I'll definitely continue watching this cute show and hope that it gets even better from here on out. Sucks that there's only two episodes a month though. D:

I thought about giving this show a chance, but something tells me not to. Something just seems off.