Awoo.

To Be Continued? Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 3's Not Gonna Happen?

MetaShiruken

I liked the first Rush but absolutely loved Rush Adventure, and I wanted a sequel to it for so long. To get Colours DS after three years was kind of bittersweet. I'm not too bothered about seeing a true sequel to the Rush games though (as in, those that aren't watered down versions of console games) anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't believe I bought Episode II. I'm weak, pathetic, and a shell of a man.

I only bought it because it was a leak that came a month early. Otherwise, I like to think I wouldn't have wasted the money, but I know me...

I have this friend who's a Sonic fan too. An online friend, anyhow. He was on Skype with me and another friend, was like, legitmalely screaming and crying about the game. Like, as he was playing it, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he went on bitching about it for the next few days, almost non-stop.

Given the way people here review, or talk about Sonic 4, it sounds like it's the sign of the anti-christ or something. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a new game.

Edited by WIttyUsername

legitmalely screaming and crying about the game. Like, as he was playing it, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he went on bitching about it for the next few days, almost non-stop.

...Is it that bad?

• Thumbs Up 2

WAIT NOBODY WANTS PLAYABLE KNUCKLES AFTER 100 YEARS WTF--

Ahem, what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to see a third game just because of ffffffffckin KNUCKLESSS!

...But since the previous two games were not masterpieces (Sonic 2 was a bit better but nothing special), I think it might be a good idea to stop making these games and do something like Rayman Origins. And put Knuckles in it! *shot*

Edited by Gabz Girl

...Is it that bad?

I don't think so. The game is decent, not a fantastic game, decent. I would recommened it only if you liked episode 1. If you didn't, you prob. wont enjoy EP. 2.

WAIT NOBODY WANTS PLAYABLE KNUCKLES AFTER 100 YEARS WTF--

Ahem, what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to see a third game just because of ffffffffckin KNUCKLESSS!

Gabz, I've told you this before- you do not love Knuckles more than I do. And that is why I do not want an Episode 3 with Knuckles playable. It will likely be terrible, and Knuckles deserves more than that for his main series comeback.

• Thumbs Up 5

Gabz, I've told you this before- you do not love Knuckles more than I do. And that is why I do not want an Episode 3 with Knuckles playable. It will likely be terrible, and Knuckles deserves more than that for his main series comeback.

My God...you're right. D: If episode 3 is going to be as average as the others...*shudder*

Which is why it's a better idea for SEGA to just make a whole new Sonic 3 style game with a similar hand drawn quality to Rayman Origins! let's hope they do anyway. B[ Oh, and it's NOT made by Dimps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoa whoa whoa....step down homie, me and Knuckles go waaaaay back.

My God...you're right. D: If episode 3 is going to be as average as the others...*shudder*

Which is why it's a better idea for SEGA to just make a whole new Sonic 3 style game with a similar hand drawn quality to Rayman Origins! let's hope they do anyway. B[ Oh, and it's NOT made by Dimps.

Well in the past Dimps has proved that they can make good Sonic games i.e The Advanced and Rush Series. Then that was all blown to shit in Sonic Unleashed (Wii and PS2)

I'm one of the few that's really enjoying Sonic 4. It's by no means perfect and will never top S3&K but i've replayed both episodes so many times and get my enjoyment out of them. I can see the potential for the story to progress into something as good as the original Death Egg plot from the classic games if enough care is put in but I can understand completly why Sonic 4 as a whole doesn't work for others. I would like to see the series continue and improve upon its missteps.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

I'm one of the few that's really enjoying Sonic 4. It's by no means perfect but i've replayed both episodes so many times and get my enjoyment out of them. I can see the potential for the story to progress into something as good as the original Death Egg plot from the classic games but I can understand completly why Sonic 4 as a whole doesn't work for others. I would like to see the series continue and improve.

While you might be right, I feel there's been too many eff-ups for the complete product to be as good as 3andK.

Just take it out back and shoot it. Let's just forget it happened like 06 and move on to the future.

People still whine about 06, they will never stop.

Just have to point this out there...

I hear some these sound effects in there

The emerald sound was similar to me at first.

Edited by Jetronic

People who actually like/enjoy the series aside, I can't fathom why people want an Episode III or have hope that it can improve on it's episodic predecessors.

Knuckles? Expect him to be the equivalent of a Wisp/Yoshi that Sonic needs to use in order to get through the level-either as a gardening tool to bust through rocks and/or dig through walls/ground or as a personal hanglider to glide over bottomless pits. They did it with Tails (which pretty much shows how out of touch Sonic Team is with the classic fanbase when it comes to using feedback properly), why wouldn't they do it or something similar with Knuckles?

Other characters made properly playable? These are the same people that can't even offer the option of having Tails lead and Sonic follow (and according to Ken, apparently making a patch that allows this would cost "millions of dollars." If it wasn't for the fact that apparently both episodes of Sonic 4 are apparently quite hard to hack, I'm pretty sure a veteran hacker would had done this in a brief amount of time, similar to how someone provided an easy fix towards Episode II's screen resolution problem), let alone have both characters playable by themselves (you can thank the people who designed the level design so that the co-op moves were mandatory for that).

A continuation of the story? It's pretty much a retread of the classic games' Death Egg Saga with the modern designs and prettier graphics.

Still have hopes that it can be closer to the classic games? Ken said it himself regarding Episode II: if you're looking for a (proper) classic experience, go play Generations or CD. And even the stuff they did do to try to have some resemblance to the classic games had some good concepts but horrible execution. You want Tails playable? Here's Tails as a mandatory scrappy co-op multiplayer mechanic! "Lock-on" with Episode I (which is quite unnecessary since there is little consistency between both episodes)? Here's four Nintendo Hard levels of each Episode I zone with a playable Metal Sonic-which by that we mean a heavier, clunkier Metal Sonic palette swap of Sonic. Want a physics engine that's similar to the classic games? Here's a sloppy physics engine based off the Rush engine!

Improvements on other areas of the game? It's Dimps, enough has been said. They consider an abundance of pointless dash panels and spring corridors and a small amount of Bubbles chains as an improvement over several pointless dash panels, springs, and Bubbles chains. And regardless whether it's a significant improvement or not, it always gets the approval of Sonic Team in the end.

Seriously, I don't think anything of value would be lost if they ended Sonic 4 here. I'd rather Sonic Team (and if necessary, Dimps too) make a modern new 2D Sonic game (I think the Rush games have run their course). But if they want to make another (spiritual) successor to the classics (and by that I most certainly do not mean that they should just take any random Sonic game in development and slap the title "Sonic 5" to it), I cannot stress enough that they should do it properly.

Just have to point this out there...

If that's the case then why is it only found in the game's assets and not after you finish the game with the Chaos Emeralds? It just shows that even Sega's uncertain of what to do with Sonic 4. Iizuka said it himself-it's now the point that sales will either make an Episode III or break any possibilities of it happening.

Edited by Zinos

Is Episode 3 really worth making? This is something Sega will really have to consider. Right now it's anyone's guess. But if Sonic Adventure 2 does well with sales and reception (and we all know it will unless Sega really fucks up), another 3D Sonic game might come sooner than later.

Admittedly, I'd have liked them to have at least given Episode 2 a bit more closure. As I said in the Episode 2 topic, it bugs me a little that they've just left the Little Planet as the Death Egg Mk. II without resolution. The fact there's an unused track on the soundtrack rip makes me wonder if they either cut a possible 'to be continued' scene because they decided to pull the plug on the series, or cut an ending because they decided to continue.

As someone who honestly enjoyed both episodes of Sonic 4, I wouldn't mind an Episode 3, but at the same time, I'm not particularly bothered if we don't get one. To be honest, the fact they're releasing the a physical soundtrack in August feels like an almost definite signing and sealing, to me.

But then, Sonic 4 or not, I'm sure Dimps will be churning out more controversial/ questionable/ bland 2D Sonic games in future anyway, so does it matter that much? :lol:

I'm sure Episode 3 will come. E2 sold well. I'm OK with that. I thought Episode 1 was fun and E2improved on things like physics, music and graphics. I still haven't played E2, though.

I doubt a Sonic 5 would be any better, by the way.

I'd really hate for the games to have no resolution.. I found episode 1 really annoying, but had fun with episode 2.. though I've only played through the game as co-op..

I'd prefer that any continuation of the series combines episode 1 & 2 with level design improvements, shared physics, and allows for any combination of Sonic or Tails to be playable.. I'd pay for DLC that does only that..

Edited by Dwapook

Despite the first two episodes being not that good I'd like to see the proper ending to the story with epic Doomsday zone boss at the end.

The bosses in Ep2 look amazing. That's what I expect Eggman's creations to look like.

I don't feel they'll do an episode 3, it'll be the same "Bitch, Bitch, Wah, Wah" scene, i think they should do an adventure style game, not get rid of boost altogether but have it as a sort of power up that is limited, like 2006 blue gem in a way

Although E2 is a massive improvement over the 1st, but I found out that a Sonic fan made game is the proper sequel to S3&K

Guess I should let you guys know that there was already an older topic for this discussion:

Edited by goku262002