Awoo.

Sega to downsize, axe certain games

Detective Shadzter

I heard about this game before, but I thought it's only gonna be released to the JPN iOS Store...so this was a shock. I got $42 left on my iTunes account so when I return to my dorm, I'll download it. It's...expensive but I can't say no to this. Just like what I did with Sonic 4.

Miku? Awesome.

But I'm still waiting for Puyo Puyo to return to the states. Mean Bean Machine only does so much for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

But I'm still waiting for Puyo Puyo to return to the states. Mean Bean Machine only does so much for me.

Bet its better than Sonic 4.

Looking at the screens, it makes Sonic 4 look like a bargain.

Looking at the screens and price, it makes Sonic 4 look like Sonic 4.

Which makes... okay, this joke is over.

What was the last Puyo game released outside of Japan? Was it Fever?

Because Binary Domain doesn't have a fanbase to begin with (since it's an entirely new IP) while Suzumiya Haruhi and Hatsune Miku do have. There will be tons of fans from each of these franchises who would want to play the game. Even if Binary Domain has a fanbase now, it's small compared to Hatsune Miku and Suzumiya Haruhi's.

Sega should have tried to release one of these games to its fans and see their response.

Yes, maybe Binary Domain could have sold more if Sega got a kick in the back, changed the boxart and actually advertised this game. Can't deny that. But the way it is now, if Sega releases a Suzumiya Haruhi and/or Hatsune Miku game to the West, and did NOT advertise the game, because of the fanbases these franchises have already here, the fanbases would have made it big.

*points to Yakuza west fanbase*

If tons is between 2-3 hundred K max in the west, then yeah I can see that. But anything over and I think you overestimate, how ''big'' these fanbases are. t

The Yakuza fanbase here in the west is minuscule at best. I'm not saying that it's nonexistent by any means, but if you're honestly trying to compare it to Hatsune Miku in terms of popularity here, there's just simply no contest to be had.

Also you're spot on, Indy! The last Puyo Puyo game to come overseas was Puyo Puyo Fever back in 2004. We've missed 5 instalments since then! Hopefully there's an iOS version in the works; that'd have a higher chance of being localized over a console version I'd wager.

The Yakuza fanbase here in the west is minuscule at best. I'm not saying that it's nonexistent by any means, but if you're honestly trying to compare it to Hatsune Miku in terms of popularity here, there's just simply no contest to be had.

My point is that its difficult to translate an 'signficant online fanbase' into substantial game sales in the real world. I used Yakuza as an example as Mimg Ming language is the exact same langauge they were using before the releases of Y3 and Y4. Hatsune Miku may have an active fanbase online, but without at least a degree of advertising, ii can't see it selling anything over the above figure max.

oh whoops, misinterpreted your number as being "number of fans" instead of "units sold". :v

Yup, I'd say you're right on the mark there. That sounds like the ideal sales numbers it would get if it were localized. That being said, it's still around 250k of desperately needed sales that Sega of America isn't making right now.

Miku? Awesome.

Agreed. Puyo Puyo already has a few fans in the West (like myself), so SoA should've localized the later installments instead of stopping at Fever 1. And as usual, they didn't even advertise the game at all, so there's SEGA making that mistake once again. :/

• 2 weeks later...

So, Binary Domain's pre-order DLC is now on the Western PS Store for download... yet had you not checked the PS Store itself there is no way you would have known this... as Sega havn't even announced this on their own blog, the Binary Domain update that is on there is for the PC version, not the console version, there is no mention of DLC out for the game.

Now lets look at Anarchy Reigns. Outside of the random youtube videos that get uploaded, has anyone seen any advertising for this game or promotion anywhere? Even the Sega blogs don't report about it anymore... Why?

Meanwhile SEGA releases new re-releases of SEGA classics...which I'm sure no one is gonna buy on the Wii...

http://blogs.sega.co...irtual-console/

Oh yeah just forgot to announce that 10+ SEGA classics was released on STEAM today then

CGFJY.png

*EDIT*

I find it quite stupid that SEGA would rather advertise the Wii VC store OR even bother to release 3 games on the store which I'm sure no one even bothers with than Steam (which I'm sure more people would be interested in than the Wii VC store) but that is what I think atm.

Edited by Shaddix Bryan

Don't you fucking dare touch my Yakuza.

• 1 year later...

Check the SEGA forums, maybe we can get some more info. on this, hopefully nobody we know got laid off.

Don't you fucking dare touch my Yakuza.

According to the SEGA forums, all Yakuza sites have been shut down.

This is a year after your post. Hmm

• 2 weeks later...

Snooping as usual and noticed that SEGA of America's Director of Mobile Business, David Zemke, no longer works for them. He worked there August 2011-September 2013. The timing ties in with the recent layoffs news I posted October 1st.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidzemke?trk=pub-pbmap

EDIT:
Found another who left the same month: Tony Colafrancesco, SEGA of America's Director of Online Business.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonycolafrancesco?trk=pub-pbmap

EDIT 2:
Haters of Sonic 4 Episode II will be glad to hear SEGA of America's Mia Putrino, who worked with Ken Balough on Sonic 4 Episode II is also gone. She now works at PlayStation.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mia-putrino/10/3a/9ba?trk=pub-pbmap

Mia is listed as team member on Sonic 4 Episode II on Ken Balough's page,

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ken-balough/1/6a8/207?trk=pub-pbmap

EDIT 3:

A long-time product development tester called Jeffrey Campbell also left in September. 

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreypatrickcampbell?trk=pub-pbmap

That Sonic 4 Episode III is looking more and more unlikely by the day.

If no announcement of an Episode III announcement is made before this year's end, the saga is guaranteed stone dead.

That Sonic 4 Episode III is looking more and more unlikely by the day.

If no announcement of an Episode III announcement is made before this year's end, the saga is guaranteed stone dead.

Which kind of sucks since as much bad mouthing they get there pretty solid games (well at least episode 2 is).