Awoo.

Sega to downsize, axe certain games

Detective Shadzter

Why is this bad? It might mean they can have a bigger budget for Sonic games because they won't be losing as much money on their bad-selling IP's.

Actually, it can easily end up being the complete inverse.

It also means the "milking to death" argument will have been vindicated a thousand times over.

Why is this bad? It might mean they can have a bigger budget for Sonic games because they won't be losing as much money on their bad-selling IP's.

I'd rather see other things than Sonic more often, to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 5

Nothing against Sonic but I've got more enjoyment out of the new IP's that Sega helped push out then I have with most Sonic games. When It comes to Sega I encourage them to bring about new IP's instead of just relying on Sonic yet again.

While this probably won't mean anything for the budgets of future Sonic games, hopefully they will get a bigger team so they can make slightly bigger games. I am sad that this means future SEGA franchise games are probably not coming (besides ports of older games), but honestly I haven't had much hope for awhile now.

It's a shame to hear that SEGA's international branches are hurting so bad, but I can't say that I'm at all surprised. I'll definitely have to agree that poor marketing and showcasing is definitely a factor here; go to SEGA's website and look at all of their recently published titles that aren't either A) A Sonic the Hedgehog game, cool.png A classic re-release, or C) A Marvel movie title. Do you recognize any of them? Binary Domain and Shogun have gotten a tad of a limelight on Steam, but aside from that what else do you have? The official video game of the London 2012 Olympic Games? Crush 3D? House of the Dead 4 and Yakuza: Dead Souls, despite both being part of great franchises with built-in fanbases, hardly get any publicity whatsoever.

And to be frank? I don't see what they'd even cut here. It sure isn't their marketing committee or localization teams. SEGA localizes such a miniscule amount of their gaming catalogue as it is... most of their latest Western venues have been either just re-releases or movie tie-ins. They don't localize their Vocaloid titles (which positively perplexes me, seeing as weeaboos gush over Miku Hatsune enough to warrant having her face plastered all over Facebook ads and NASCAR racers), or their Shining series (RPG fans would just eat them up. Shining Blade is currently at the top of the charts in Japan right now, and loads of gamers have shown an interest in getting these games localized.) Same goes for 7th Dragon and Valkyria Chronicles. If SEGA US and UK actually acknowledged that they were subsidiaries of a Japanese video game developer and acknowledged the demand for these titles, something tells me they would be faring somewhat better over here. (Hey, I'd buy them over their overtly "super-extreme-trying-too-hard-to-appeal-to-Westerner" games that they've been trying to shovel out.)

Translating these pre-produced titles would be cheaper (and probably more profitable) than commercial flops like Vanquish or The Conduit, at the very least.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 5

I never did understand why SEGA hasn't put any marketing behind any of their games that don't have Sonic in the title. If they do, it's just a banner ad on a gaming news site or an ad in a gaming magazine, none of which most people are ever going to see.

I never did understand why SEGA hasn't put any marketing behind any of their games that don't have Sonic in the title. If they do, it's just a banner ad on a gaming news site or an ad in a gaming magazine, none of which most people are ever going to see.

Especially games with massive potential, like BD and Vanquish. People just don't know they exist.

• Thumbs Up 4

And to be frank? I don't see what they'd even cut here. It sure isn't their marketing committee or localization teams. SEGA localizes such a miniscule amount of their gaming catalogue as it is... most of their recent venues have been either just re-releases or movie tie-ins. They don't localize their Vocaloid titles (which positively perplexes me, seeing as weeaboos gush over Miku Hatsune enough to warrant having her face plastered all over Facebook ads and NASCAR racers), or their Shining series (RPG fans would just eat them up. Shining Blade is currently at the top of the charts in Japan right now, and loads of Westerners have shown an interest in getting these games localized.) Same goes for 7th Dragon and Valkyria Chronicles. If SEGA US and UK actually acknowledged that they were subsidiaries of a Japanese video game developer and acknowledged the demand for these titles, something tells me they would be faring somewhat better over here. (Hey, I'd buy them over their overtly "super-extreme-trying-too-hard-to-appeal-to-Westerner" games that they've been trying to shovel out.)

Translating these pre-produced titles would be cheaper (and probably more profitable) than commercial flops like Vanquish or The Conduit, at the very least.

How much of that is SoJ being SoJ and how much of this is those subsidiaries' fault, though? Because I won't lie: It has been rather distressing in the past, say, 5 years or so to see Sega as a whole starting to look more and more like Sega as a whole circa-1997.

And if that is actually the thing at fault, they can cut costs as much as they want and it won't really change anything.

I didn't, I thought the game was terrible.

Morning Land's the best place to pick up chicks, what're you talking about bronik?

(see what I did there?)

But no, really, Billy Hatcher was awesome.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

Also to consider, all these IP's may not be permanently gone, just taking a long break until the financial situation becomes better.

Also to consider, all these IP's may not be permanently gone, just taking a long break until the financial situation becomes better.

Considering how the economy is here in the United States that might take a very long break

The QA department? Anyone know if this is the department where Aaron Webber and Ken work in.

QA is game testing, so no. Unless SoA is set up really weird.

Edited by Tornado

QA is game testing, so no. Unless SoA is set up really weird.

Ah yeah QA = Quality Assurance.

So out of all the departments to axe SoA has to axe the department that gauge the quality of games.

*glances over at Sonic 4*

You say that as if they were doing their job to begin with. :v

Well it probably met their quality standard, *trollface*

• Thumbs Up 1

I only read a little bit, I knew about this last night from NeoGAF.

Stuff like this happens in business, but I want people to also know this will not be good for a while. If Anarchy Reigns doesn't sell well, it is doubtful that thety will make many more games with Platinum. The games don't sell. Things like future Yuzuka games may not be translated to America. If there is another Hyperdimension Neptunia they likely won't translate it over and publish it outside Japan. The future of Valkyria Chronicles looks very grim. SEGA said they were working on bringing back an old franchise. That may not happen now.

Probably no new Billy Hatcher, NiGHTS, Shenmue, new IPs, or a lot for a while. I understand the need for optimism but I also think it's good to realize what's going on. A loss of 7.1 billion yen is a terrible, TERRIBLE loss. It's something like 86 million dollars.

Probably no new Billy Hatcher, NiGHTS, Shenmue, new IPs, or a lot for a while.

And, let's be real here for a second: Outside of new IPs, what were the chances of any of those things happening in the first place?

And, let's be real here for a second: Outside of new IPs, what were the chances of any of those things happening in the first place?

and lets also be real: Other than Sonic what other IP would the general public know that Sega creates.

Edited by Team Chaotix

They were examples, but my point being some things likely won't be happening for a while.

http://finance.yahoo...+Key+Statistics

Exact statistics. They have $2 billion, $720 million in debt, lost $96 million this year.

And this likely means Seaman for the 3DS will be cancelled. ;_;

Edited by Agent York