Awoo.

Why is the Sonic Cycle reviled?

Exploder

Generally the more a product is hyped the worse it turns out if it doesn't live up to standard though yes?

No... a shit product doesn't live up to standard.

...Why is the Sonic Cycle still a thing?

Why is "Sanic" still a thing? Why is "Original the Character"? Why is "Ow the Edge"? Why are the myriad of cynical memes that surround this franchise and its fanbase still a thing?

Because, no matter how dumb, unfounded, or abused a meme is: in the end it's a meme. And memes never die.

The Sonic Cycle isn't really used as a meme though. It's basically become a preaching of why Sonic's bad now. Even though it has been used for years, despite the increase in quality with Colors/Generations, and is for all the wrong reasons.

Forgive me for using Wikipedia here, but:

A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]

It basically IS a meme. The Sonic Cycle is something that I see frequently mentioned throughout the internet.

Oh come on. I mention the damn cycle once and you move it onto here? I wasn't even validating it, I was pointing out why stuff like that was conceived.