Awoo.

Why is the Sonic Cycle reviled?

Exploder

First off, hearing mentions of the Werehog and how it applies to the Cycle thing... the "Sonic Cycle" mentality is the reason they made the Werehog! They worked on a Sonic game that's "faster than ever" and "prettier than ever" resulting in massive amounts of pretty hard to render level bypassed super fast, so they felt the need for an alternate slower playstyle. Rather than use someone like Knuckles and risk bringing up the "Sonic's Shitty Friends" thing, they made sure you played ONLY as Sonic, using plot excuses for the gameplay change while still being Sonic only. That's the story I remember hearing anyway.

Then they realized that it's not the character but the extreme gameplay changes and misbalance between them, though damage was done and they still fear using anyone but Sonic to this day, with even Episode II having Tails as more of a special move.

But more on topic, the cycle, to put it bluntly, pisses me off to the extreme any time it is brought up by the public(outside of the "it's stupid" context) so I'm mostly going by memory, but it consisted of three steps, right?

1. New game announced, Sonic only, going back to roots, fans hype it to hell and back as "finally a good game"
  2. More screens released, Sonic isn't the only playable character, game might feature someone NEW, everyone gives up
  3. Game sucks, fans say never again.

Now, just how much does this actually apply to? Not that many games, at most one or two. Interesting to note that at least one game that never had much hype in the beginning is on one of the common pictures tossed around, as I remember most people disliking Black Knight's concept from the beginning. Funny enough it had the most classic take on multiple characters, pretty much fitting most of what fans ask for by being 100% optional Sonic clones.

Sonic Heroes, which I think is the earliest game covered in cycle images, hits the "back to roots" thing with colorful levels, many classic cast returning and soforth... but said classic cast breaks the rest. I'm pretty sure the first screenshots showed off Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all at once. I forget how the reception was back then.

Shadow the Hedgehog... doesn't apply much. I didn't see much hype for it beyond stunning CGs at the time. Despite the large number of co-op partners it also kept gameplay to one forced character/style. Guns were not entirely optional, but most vehicles seemed to be, one or two serving as stage gimmicks and at least one being Sky Chase with an alien bird. So, one of the most hated modern games breaks the cycle quickly!

Sonic 06 is probably what spawned the thing. It was introduced with a tech demo, a title and announced concept of featuring only Sonic and Eggman as an attempt to go "back to Sonic's roots". To be honest, it looked pretty back then but at least now it did not look back to roots even at that point. Then, Shadow and newcomer Silver were introduced along with the amigo gameplay, and we know what happened after that.

Secret Rings, I'm not sure if it fits in the cycle's targets being a sort of spinoff, but it breaks it right at the start. Arabian Nights are not a "return to roots" attempt, and Sonic is the only playable character, with only a few new characters restricted to plot/Omochao roles. It might fit the "Looked good, then got hated at release" bit perhaps, no thanks to the EXP system nerfing controls at the start.

Sonic Unleashed is a shaky fit, perhaps. It got leaked with Sonic only, but never touted anything about roots, and resembled a mix of Secret Rings and Rush in 3D. There was skepticism, though things were looking good if you liked those styles. Soon after official reveals we find out about the Werehog, however, which is where the "traditional" plunge happens. Again, the Werehog was a reaction to the cycle mentality, an odd fit between new character and Sonic only. Of course, combined with medals and often taking more time than the well accepted day gameplay while itsself being sort of generic God of War, it got disliked.

Sonic 4... well, it's a bit odd. Sonic only like most any title after 06, hyped as retro again, marketing kind of messed with it too, leaving the fans to imagine something epic out of a low budget multiplatform title. I remember an odd mix of "this will suck" and "this will be amazing" even before many reveals, with lots of looking into 3 second clips, so I'm not sure where it goes there. Either way, it came out, and... kind of screws with the cycle again. Common public types think it's great and "just like the old games" which is just as planned, while hardcore fans hated it immensely for it's lack of imagination and cheap physics among other things. For the public who hated modern Sonic, it broke the last bit of the cycle, for the hardcore fans, it didn't.

Sonic Colors, well, everyone speaks of how it "broke the cycle" already. Sonic only from the start to the end, a usually less invasive gimmick and I believe much dislike in the beginning, if not ignoring for the somewhat mysterious "Sonic 4" when first announced. When it came out, it turned out to be a decent to great title for most, though also quite short, lacking many distractions beyond Red Rings.

Black Knight I already mentioned. People disliked it from the beginning, it featured multiple playable characters who you could outright ignore, and it's commonly mentioned in "omg shitty Sonic game" lists. (Personally I find it medeocre but not god awful, perhaps a missed opportunity due to sticking to on-rails hack and slashery...)

Sonic Generations, due to being the 20th anniversary title it is, was once again retro rootsy style. For once, however, they seemed to pull it off how it was intended. Sonic is still the only playable character, the only new "character" is the smoke and gears non-sentient Time Eater, old characters were restricted to rivals and item/stage gimmicks, and the "slower alternative playstyle" Sonic has... is mostly the same, with more classic sensibilities and no 3D. I believe it got a good amount of hype and a great reception.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 I can probably predict. No alternative gameplay or characters even when people ASK for Tails playable, iffy reception that's rising and dropping due to Episode 1, game will be decent, a big improvement over Episode 1 in most aspects but still featuring some of 1's level design flaws. It'll probably be disliked for featuring "close but not enough" physics that are not taken advantage of. It'll also suffer due to following Generations, I'm betting. (and again, less hardcore players will eat it up, just as expected)

So, I would say only one game(you know the one) fits the cycle entirely, while Unleashed is somewhat close, actually stumbling a bit because of an attempt at avoiding it on a technicality with the Werehog. The rest of the modern games, liked or disliked, tend to break it in many ways.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Here's MY Sonic Cycle:

1. Game revealed via trailer or poster, fans get hyped while nitpickers and bitchers find/ make up a dumb reason why the game will "suck"

2. New screenshots and gameplay footage are released, fans are pumped while nitpickers and bitchers point out dumb topics that TOTALLY effect the gameplay (graphics, story, GREEEN EYESSSSS, etc.)

3. Game is released, fans buy the game and give it a fair critique while you-know-who say it is horrible despite the gameplay being good.

TheSonicCycleCycle.png

I couldn't agree more.

Also, as much as I hate the Sonic Cycle thing and as much as I love this game, Sonic 4: Episode I follows the Sonic Cycle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and 2 years later, I'm still playing it, but it said that it was going to be just like the genesis days, but it turned out to be Sonic Rush 2.5. Again, I don't hate the game.

Also, as much as I hate the Sonic Cycle thing and as much as I love this game, Sonic 4: Episode I follows the Sonic Cycle. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and 2 years later, I'm still playing it, but it said that it was going to be just like the genesis days, but it turned out to be Sonic Rush 2.5. Again, I don't hate the game.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 didn't follow the cycle:

Sonic 4 Ep 1 didn't fool people into thinking it will be Sonic only and introduce Sonic's friends or any new characters later.

Alot of Sonic fans didn't hype and priase the game and claim it will be Sonic's grand return as soon as they see gameplay footage but instead they raged when they see the first 3 seconds of it.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 mostly recieved positive or mixed reviews and it sold over a million despite the fans complaining about it.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 went back to Sonic's 2D roots but it don't play like the old games.

Edited by sonfan1984

This is a load of shit. Blind, stupid, fanboy shit.

Fucking opinions, how do they work?

Sonic 4 Ep 1 didn't follow the cycle:

Sonic 4 Ep 1 didn't fool people into thinking it will be Sonic only and introduce Sonic's friends or any new characters later.

Alot of Sonic fans didn't hype and priase the game and claim it will be Sonic's grand return as soon as they see gameplay footage but instead they raged when they see the first 3 seconds of it.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 mostly recieved positive or mixed reviews and it sold over a million despite the fans complaining about it.

Sonic 4 Ep 1 went back to Sonic's 2D roots but it don't play like the old games.

I was talking about the "disappointing" part. It was close to the 2D games, but not exactly the Sonic 4 we've been waiting for. On another note, BRING ON EPISODE II (which came out hours ago! Yay for that)

Fucking opinions, how do they work?

Just because you have an opinion on something, doesn't mean that it's immune to criticism, especially if it's based on false information. Just saying, man...

Just because you have an opinion on something, doesn't mean that it's immune to criticism, especially if it's based on false information. Just saying, man...

Of course I know that. For example, I just criticized the opinion of others in that post before the post you replied to.

Blatant lies are not opinions. This whole "good, honest, TRUE SONIC FANS" vs "nasty nitpickers and bitchers complaining about nothing" thing is evidence of either severe delusion, severe ignorance, or simply being an asshole.

All of the above.

In short, it was created by asshats, and only asshats use it. It perpetuates the notion that Sonic games have always been and always will be shit, when in fact, the only game that actually abides by the cycle since it's creation in 2008 is Sonic 4: Episode 1, although Your Mileage May Vary, as some people, for whatever fucked up reason hate Unleashed.

There you go.

Edited by Lobotomy
  • Thumbs Up 2

for whatever fucked up reason hate Unleashed.

Not liking half the game not being a Sonic game is a "fucked up reason"?

Not liking half the game not being a Sonic game is a "fucked up reason"?

My own personal opinion: The werehog's only true mistake was being in the same game as the high speed game play of Daytime Sonic...

Well okay, that and the excessive amount of forced combat areas, overly long levels, and that annoying jazz song that plays every battle.

I think if the Werehog Concept was made into a new IP (or used on an older, less used IP), it probably would have been a niche, mildly obscure, but relatively fun god of war esque brawler.

Now back to your "On-Topic" discussion.

The Sonic Cycle is plain annoying, especially when it's spammed over and over with little regard for it's original intention.

Edited by Enigmatus

I don't think the actual idea of the Werehog would've needed new IP treatment so much as creative retooling to better fit the genre and pacing of a Sonic game. I always say that focusing on developing game play that would've allowed him to zip around with his arms as he was able to in the cut scenes would've been in a great start.

I don't think the actual idea of the Werehog would've needed new IP treatment so much as creative retooling to better fit the genre and pacing of a Sonic game. I always say that focusing on developing game play that would've allowed him to zip around with his arms as he was able to in the cut scenes would've been in a great start.

Oh, I'm not saying that he's going to come back soon, rather that not everything that isn't "run and roll around fast" is unsuitable for the franchise.

In short, it was created by asshats, and only asshats use it. It perpetuates the notion that Sonic games have always been and always will be shit, when in fact, the only game that actually abides by the cycle since it's creation in 2008 is Sonic 4: Episode 1, although Your Mileage May Vary, as some people, for whatever fucked up reason hate Unleashed.

There you go.

You mean the game game that was something like 70% a half baked knock off of God of War to the point of recreating certain control oddities and combos verbatim sans only the set piece granditure, technical boss fights, and consistent collision detection? Or are we going to ignore that in which case we have a game where you alternate between states of boost and unboost and jump at predetermined times?

*Seriously, I wish this Sonic Team would put half this much effort into ripping off Sonic 3.

You mean the game game that was something like 70% a half baked knock off of God of War to the point of recreating certain control oddities and combos verbatim sans only the set piece granditure, technical boss fights, and consistent collision detection? Or are we going to ignore that in which case we have a game where you alternate between states of boost and unboost and jump at predetermined times?

*Seriously, I wish this Sonic Team would put half this much effort into ripping off Sonic 3.

Chill out. You're getting mad at video games.

I'm just annoyed that it was one of the factors that caused the "Sonic games have been terrible since Adventure" meme, and also led to this stupid idea that side characters are the downfall of the franchise. Nobody can spur change for the better with simplistic arguments, and that's what you got with the Cycle.

Only one major Sonic title got overly negative reviews('06), and two spinoffs(Shadow and Black Knight). SA, SA2, Heroes, Secret Rings and portables all had mixed to positive reception. At worst, the franchise was inconsistent not terrible. Some people only like the Genesis/Megarive era though, and they created a myth that all these games were hated. Unfortunately, it seems to have worked for awhile. People just retroactively downgraded all the 3D Sonics to "bad".

It's water under the bridge, though. Onward and upward, right? The series, as it is, isn't for everyone. It's quality, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chill out. You're getting mad at video games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Posting in an old thread but I'll bite.

The Sonic Cycle only applies to people who are too afraid to except that Sonic will never be like Nostalgia 3 and goggles.

That game is overrated as hell.

Every Sonic game is different to each other gameplay wise and what not.

Some people might like Heroes more than Adventure 2 and vice versa Some might like Unleashed more than Generations much like I did.

Speaking of Unleashed that was a great game and the werehog didn't even bring it down. Werehog only got better the more you leveled him up. I swear most people played unleashed and forced themselves to hate it because they want to be in on the "xD Sonic Cycle!!! am i fitting in yet guys!!???" Fad.

You either played the Wii version which isn't as bad as people make it out to be, or you never even played it.

• 2 years later...

You do realize that the majority of people regard that cycle as a load of bullshit and flat out ignore it yes?

• Thumbs Up 2

Generally the more a product is hyped the worse it turns out if it doesn't live up to standard though yes?

Generally the more a product is hyped the worse it turns out if it doesn't live up to standard though yes?

Wasn't my point. My point is The Sonic Cycle is a load of shit and the majority of people regard it as such.

You do realize that the majority of people regard that cycle as a load of bullshit and flat out ignore it yes?

That's not from what I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I view it as nothing more than a cynical projection from the internet. But it's a cynical projection I see an awful lot.