Awoo.

Marvel Cinematic Multiverse | Official Thread For Movies and D+ Shows

Jacky

On 5/1/2019 at 4:48 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Controversial opinion: I didn't liked Avengers Endgame. Ok, it was still fun, but overall I found it disappointing.

Somehow sad moments were tiresome (start), while some comedy ruined the drama (Thor, why???), solution is ass pull, and whole plot is fanservice to last decade rather than solid structured story. Action is obviously good, but worse than last Avengers (and I need to laugh to Carol Danvers and how little she does).

QUESTION to all females reading. Remember that during climax when we have all Marvel woman standing in one line? I really want to know if it was cool for you. Personally I find it really unsubtle and cheap way to highlight the 'strong female cast' rather than let their existence speak for itself. But being a Y-chromosome male I might lack the perspective, so I'm rrrrrreally curious what you think.

Are we past the point of using spoiler tags. Your post is kind of vague but you can still infer alot of spoiler things from it.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:48 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Controversial opinion: I didn't liked Avengers Endgame. Ok, it was still fun, but overall I found it disappointing.

Somehow sad moments were tiresome (start), while some comedy ruined the drama (Thor, why???), solution is ass pull, and whole plot is fanservice to last decade rather than solid structured story. Action is obviously good, but worse than last Avengers (and I need to laugh to Carol Danvers and how little she does).

QUESTION to all females reading. Remember that during climax when we have all Marvel woman standing in one line? I really want to know if it was cool for you. Personally I find it really unsubtle and cheap way to highlight the 'strong female cast' rather than let their existence speak for itself. But being a Y-chromosome male I might lack the perspective, so I'm rrrrrreally curious what you think.

Did we watch the same film? The idea that it was fan service is absolutely correct , it was the culmination of 11 years of story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thor’s one of the best parts of the film. *sips tea* his character arc through the mcu has been one of the best improvements and I certainly, and I like the direction they’re going with him. 

Fat buff Thor > regular Thor, I hope they role with this a little bit longer (or at least for some of guardians 3)

My issue with Thor is how they made light of his issues despite how severe they were.

Spoiler

Dude was clearly experiencing severe survivor guilt as a result of watching everything he cared about die, but we're supposed to laugh at him because he's fat. He bounces back sure, and I have no issue with him being fat, but that really made me feel uncomfortable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of  character changes

Spoiler

I wasn't a huge fan of how Professor Hulk was handled. His introduction is really jarring and really just glosses over the resolution to his arc in the previous movies. Aside from that, we never get to see him use his brains and brawn in combat.  In fact I don't even remember Hulk having any real action scenes at all in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2019 at 6:08 AM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

My issue with Thor is how they made light of his issues despite how severe they were.

Hide contents

Dude was clearly experiencing severe survivor guilt as a result of watching everything he cared about die, but we're supposed to laugh at him because he's fat. He bounces back sure, and I have no issue with him being fat, but that really made me feel uncomfortable. 

Spoiler

I felt like it was more a scene where everyone was taken by surprise, including the characters we're following. The great and mighty Thor, God of Thunder, now chugging down can after can of beer, with roommates that play Fortnite all day, and gaining a gut. It's a moment of "is this actually what I'm seeing?!"

Once you find the reason he's like that, you just stop questioning it, because you understand that feeling like crap makes you look like crap. However, he still has a general drunken stupor throughout the movie, but not once things get serious.

• Promotion 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:
  Hide contents

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alliehayes/loki-russo-brothers-avengers-endgame-confirmed-alternate

Long story short: It's official. Loki is still alive thanks to the cube.

Welp, it's confirmed now.

Spoiler

It's the 2012 Loki alive in an alternate reality to be clear...the Loki in the main timeline is still very much dead.

• 2 weeks later...

So, about that Endgame

Spoiler

I'm not fond of Cap's conclusion at all. Sam being Captain America is cool! But I just think it's plain weird that they chose to end Steve's story like that, and it feels so very inconsistent with his character.

Like, we give Star-Lord shit for the end of Infinity War, but we can all agree that it's not only consistent with the guy who didn't think for one second before shooting his father when he admitted to giving his mom cancer, but it's also a very human reaction.

So, how can "I don't like bullies and I took every opportunity to enlist in the army to stop them, don't forget how I got my ass kicked for telling some unruly guys to shut up in a movie theater" even take sitting by throughout a lifetime of grade-a bull shit on the "mundane" side (as in, stuff that happened in human history, like Hiroshima and Nagasaki and 9/11), let alone the "fantastic" (comic book hero movie stuff, like Age of Ultron, the Sokovia Accords, Bucky)? I have a really tough time believing that he could, because at some point his friends and "family" were getting hurt! I couldn't do that, and I like to think that if I had the connections or capabilities, in his place, I'd do something-- most people would do something, however small.

Let alone how it took a giant crap on their established time-travel rules. Steve shouldn't have been sitting on that bench, because he changed the timeline by going back to live with and marry Peggy! Hey, actually, let's talk about how that borders on evil? Steve inserted himself into her life and essentially erased her family! After everything he's seen, that's really, really creepy.

What threw me for a loop is the "we're a family" thing. I think the one time there was a semblance of family was Age of Ultron. Other than that, the Avengers were either 1. arguing, 2. fighting, or 3. distant, when they weren't being professional.

Give Thor a terrible depression, sure, and I can't speak for how Ragnarok's development may have been undone (still gotta see it...), but he was honestly there to mostly be a joke and that's just crappy. You know that "family" theme? This is another reason I don't buy it. No one outside of New Asgard knew how Thor was doing until 5 years later. I have a hard time believing that a family would not do a wellness check on the guy who lost his mother, father, brother, home planet, most of his people, and blew his chance at stopping the snap.

Also, I think the ladies of Marvel scene was cool and all... but considering they fridged Natasha mostly for shock value, and barely any of these ladies know each other... It's pure pandering with no substance (Cap wielding Mjolnir was the opposite).

Endgame has some other issues I've had brought to my attention and it kinda makes me sad that this is the end of an era, since it feels like it could have been better. It has its good moments (there's something very soothing about Professor Hulk handing Scott a taco, and I like the look into the aftermath of Avengers, Morgan, the big fight scenes, etc), but, well, I feel kind of disappointed.

Sorry if this is a bit too negative... but those are my feelings.

Also, on a slightly light note, I think I know what's gonna happen in Guardians of the Galaxy 3;

Spoiler

Beta Ray Bill is going to debut.

I mean. That's set up if I've seen any.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a trailer for the 3rd (and final) season of Jessica Jones:

Premiers June 14th, after which the Netflix portion of the MCU officially comes to an end.

I'm not going to lie, thinking back on it I don't think I'll miss the Netflix shows that much. This more has to do with the obvious budget, Jeph Loeb, and the 13 episode format.

The only arguibly great one was DD's first season. All the rest kinda dragged and ultimately sucked.

DD was actually the series that got me on Netflix.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:48 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

I would agree about the drama being ruined by comedy, but it's not like it's the first time it's happened. Almost all the Marvel Phase 3 movies (except Civil War of course, and maybe Dr. Strange) had a really bad habit of doing the same thing. ESPECIALLY Thor. I love "Thor Ragnarok", but honestly, he was acting pretty upbeat for a guy who's father died, killed by the sister he didn't know he had, and then he had to rush to save his people and only ended up saving a fraction, and not even their home. I get that it was a comedy, but that's some pretty heavy stuff.

As a girl, I can also say the "girl power" shot was meh. I was more like thinking that none of these girls were really that big of deals, so it was more like a C-list character line-up, and then I was like, "Wait, Where's Sif?"
I think the problem with Marvel is they their best important female characters are all in X-men, Fantastic Four, and
Spiderman, so Disney/Marvel doesn't have much to play with. It was a line-up of characters that I didn't care about, but the fact that they wanted me to care about them, just because they were all girls, kinda earned an eyeroll.

• Thumbs Up 1

NOTE: DESIGNED BY OFFICIAL MARVEL EMPLOYEES

In case wasn't obvious, graphic design is their passion.

• 2 weeks later...

So Endgame failed to beat Avatar’s box office. God damnit. And thus, James Cameron’s ego continues 

Honestly I heard the bonus scene wasnt worth it. Had it been....

Stark in the soul world with his daughter.

More p.eople would have gone

Plus it doesnt help that the blu ray is coming out soon with this and more scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Spider-Man: Far From Home and it’s absolutely mind blowing!!

That ending.......

Got roped along to see Spiderman Far From Home.
You know what, I wasn't planning on seeing but I'll say Im kinda glad I didn't really pay it much attention before hand. 
Which probably means it was okay

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnet.com/news/marvels-mcu-phase-4-release-dates-revealed-at-comic-con-black-widow-shang-chi-thor-love-and-thunder-new-doctor-strange/
Official schedule for Phase 4 announced, it includes the Disney+ shows:

• May 1, 2020: Black Widow (already been in shooting session, it's set shortly after Civil War)
  • Fall, 2020: The Falcon and Winter Soldier Disney+ series
  • Nov. 6, 2020: The Eternals movie
  • Feb. 12, 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (will have the reveal of the real Mandarin teased in the Hail to the King short)
  • Spring, 2021: WandaVision Disney+ series
  • May 7, 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (horror movie co-starring Scarlet Witch)
  • Spring, 2021: Loki Disney+ series
  • Summer, 2021: What if...? Disney+ series
  • Fall, 2021: Hawkeye Disney+ seroes
  • Nov. 5, 2021: Thor 4: Love and Thunder (described as a romantic comedy, with Natalie Portman returning)

Apparently Fiege has also mentioned mutants and the Fantastic Four along the other sequels in the work like Black Panther 2 or Captain Marvel 2.

Buuuut, we have a last-minute surprise: https://www.cnet.com/news/marvel-announces-blade-starring-mahershala-ali-at-comic-con-2019/

Blade reboot starring Mahershala Ali.

That's a lot of variety. My interest is particularly peaked by the Dr Strange horror movie (which should hopefully stand out more than the origin story did) and Mahershala Ali as Blade. We didn't get nearly enough of Ali in Luke Cage.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...

Oh joy, I can't wait for the next reboot that's probably gonna be a desperate and sad attempt at a cinematic universe that focuses on setting up more movies instead of actually making something good.

All I can hope for at this point is the Spiderverse stuff comes through, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony intend to market that out now that it's a proven success and gotten such acclaim. Venom came out last year and was still pretty shit, with it only really being enjoyable in a "So Bad it's Good" way, so I have high doubts we'll see anything halfway decent from yet another new live-action Spider-Man reboot.