Awoo.

Spongebob SquarePants 2

Autosaver

The teaser for the original movie didn't tell us much either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2So1QoUBpI

Still more entertaining though..

Aaaah I remember seeing that in the movie theaters and just being blown away.

I loved Spongebob back then and my hype just exploded through the roof

so much I can't even remember the movie I went to see that day.

That's clearly a fan-made trailer guys, the poor aftereffects and narration should be a dead giveaway, the fact that it's from october of last year and the fact that it's the only upload of that trailer on the entire internet are also pretty big clues.

And now I feel like a complete fucking idiot for not realizing right away.

I'm surprised there making another SpongeBob Movie; Nick gives two shits about animation anymore save for Legend of Korra, so seeing another SpongeBob movie being made is a nice surprise, especially with some of the original writers of the early seasons coming back to make this one. 

The sadist part is that soon after the first Movie, SpongeBob go much, much worse with 2005 starting the steep drop in quality in the episodes too the latest episodes being painful to watch; the series was so smart with great episodes, and the first movie was excellent (I remember watching this right after seeing the Increables and liked this a little more when I was little :)), so its a shame to see the series become a hollow shell of its former self. 

I hope that with some of the old writers making this that the film will be great and be a nice trip to the past to the former quality of the series, if what you guys are saying is true with the new writers on board with this, then I really hope the movie doesn't turn out bad :(

That's clearly a fan-made trailer guys, the poor aftereffects and narration should be a dead giveaway, the fact that it's from october of last year and the fact that it's the only upload of that trailer on the entire internet are also pretty big clues.
Cue Place feeling like an absolute dipshit for believing said trailer was an official product.

I remember seeing "It's A Spongebob Christmas" last year, and I didn't have high expectations for it. But it was surprisingly good, it felt like something you'd see in one of the classic episodes. I also loved the stop-motion. I think Atlantis Squarepantis was pretty good too. Whobob Whatpants was very meh, Truth or Square was pretty meh too for what it was meant to be, and only a handful of the modern episodes are actually good. 

It's very good to hear that some of the original writers are coming back, hopefully they can teach some of the newer ones a thing or two.

My biggest problem with the recent Spongebob is that most episodes are fucking nasty! Who remembers the infamous splinter episode? Bet you the new movie will be filled with gross out humour just like that. >< My other problem however is definitely Spongebob himself. Why does Tom Kenny make him sound even more high pitched and annoying nowadays?? It's almost like an entirely new voice actor!

One of my biggest problems with the newer episodes are the characterization, everybody's' personalities are so exaggerated. Spongebob used to be just a misguided silly child, but nowadays he seems like the villain, because all his actions are so antagonistic to the other characters. It also seems like they overplay Krabs' cheapness, Sandy's genius and Patrick's stupid.

Another trend in the newer episodes' Ive noticed is the repetition. Often when a character has a flashback of a previous moment in the episode it plays the entire damn thing again. Writers can't write.

• Thumbs Up 5

My biggest problem with the recent Spongebob is that most episodes are fucking nasty! Who remembers the infamous splinter episode? Bet you the new movie will be filled with gross out humour just like that. >< 

That's a bit of an over exaggeration, the only real instances of them taking the gross-out humor too far were in "The Splinter" (as you mentioned), and in "House Fancy" when Squidward's toenail came off. I seriously doubt they would put the comedic focus on gross-out humor, or anything like it in this movie.

Edited by Haden

Another thing that annoys me about the newer episodes is how much they like to make Squidward a constant victim of SpongeBob and Patrick's antics. He's always been the unlikeable, snobby-as-hell, wet blanket that would occasionally show some decency every now and then or receive some comeuppence for his jerkiness. So it's a pretty bad sign when they try to put such a character in a sympathetic light or make him out to be the only sane character who suffers each and every time he's involved in the plot.

• Thumbs Up 9

Plankton is kind of a victim of this as well... I know Plankton is the show's antagonist, but there have been episodes where Mr. Krabs takes joy in bringing misery to the lil guy, even to the point where Plankton attempts suicide. Yes the show is even making me feel sorry for the MAIN VILLAIN of the entire series.

I really hate how mean spirited the show has become as well. Squidward and Plankton have become abused to the point where you feel bad for them, Mr. Krabs rarely (If ever) gets any comeuppance for his greediness,  There are times where it seems like Gary outright hates Spongebob, and even Spongebob himself can come across as a douchebag at times.

Some of the episodes that really take the cake are "Gone" Where everyone up and left Bikini bottom to get away from Spongebob, and the Demolition Derby episode, where Mrs. Puff outright tries to get Spongebob killed, and even tries to finish him off near the end.

If the original Spongebob had any mean spiritedness, it was done in a tasteful way, and whomever was mean always got what was coming to them.

Maybe the shows new found bitterness if from the writers loathing the series and are using the shows characters as metaphors for what the show has become; Squidword/Plantion representing the fans getting shitted on, Mr. Krabs represent the greed of Nick, Ms. Puff representing the writers trying to 'end' the series (with the Demolition Derby episode representing that quite well) and the rest of the cast like SpongeBob, Sandy and Patrick representing, well the hollow shell of there former self's.

The simple fact that SpongeBob himself comes across as the villain time to time in the new episodes (he's to 'happy' to the point of driving people crazy and he even loves that as he laughs at the torment he and Patrick give Squidword) is really bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Plankton is kind of a victim of this as well... I know Plankton is the show's antagonist, but there have been episodes where Mr. Krabs takes joy in bringing misery to the lil guy, even to the point where Plankton attempts suicide. Yes the show is even making me feel sorry for the MAIN VILLAIN of the entire series.

Oh god, that's the same episode where Krabs dressed up as Pearl, isn't it? That was also wrong in another way.

My other problem with Plankton is also how overused he is. Yes, I know, he's the main villain and will have more of a role in most episodes, but his whole motivation and means to achieve has gotten real old (though I felt the same way about Team Rocket and finally quit the anime). How about get more creative and make newer villains? You know, if the creativity is there, of course. Mr. Krabs could be one every now and then since he's pretty much an unofficial antagonist and was at some point. Like the episode with the blue jellyfish and SpongeBob eventually confronted him and his treatment of the wild jellyfish. That was good, but in retrospect, he doesn't learn a damn thing and SpongeBob kind of doesn't either since he's let Krabs's avaricious greed roll over him most of the time unless he's really crossing the line with that grease episode or when Gary was being used as a coin magnet.

This is why if ever given the option to watch any episode on TV (and that's constantly since Nick just loves airing the show everyday), make it be one I can tolerate.

Edited by DarkLight

• 5 months later...

Bump.

Official movie title is "SpongeBob SquarePants 2." Kinda odd, considering the original title was a lot closer to it's predecessor ("The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2"); people could end up confusing it as a movie sequel to the TV series, but eh.

It won't be released this year, it is planned for a February 13th, 2015 release date.

Paul Tibbitt (executive producer and current showrunner of the series) is directing and creator Stephen Hillenburg is executive producer. Tibbitt confirmed he and Hillenburg wrote the story.
Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger are writing the screenplay. They wrote the latter two Alvin live-action/CG films...on the other hand, they were also behind the Kung Fu Panda films.
Mary Parent is producer. Previous work was Role Models, Pacific Rim, and the upcoming Godzilla remake by Legendary Pictures.

Tibbitt confirmed it will be mostly 2D animation (so lay your fears of 3D CG SpongeBob to rest!), with the film being a mix of animation and live action like the first film. The original voice cast for the show has also been confirmed to return - Tom Kenny as SpongeBob, Bill Fagerbakke as Patrick, Rodger Bumpass as Squidward, Clancy Brown as Mr. Krabs, Mr. Lawrence as Plankton, and Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy. Antonio Banderas as also been cast as a pirate (animated or live-action, I don't know).

Nick is banking on the film to further boost SpongeBob's popularity around the world, and they are expecting the film to do even better than the first film did in overseas gross (which given the series's massive exposure and Nick's global influence, is not an unreasonable expectation). The film's budget is unknown right now-one reports says Paramount is limiting the budget for the sequel to the same budget of it's predecessor ($30 mil.), other say the film will, among other films Paramount Animation is working on (see more about that below), will be $100 million (each).

Paramount is also using the SpongeBob SquarePants movie as the film debut of their newly-formed film animation division (and successor to Paramount Cartoon Studios/Famous Studios), Paramount Animation, who will be co-producing the film with Nickelodeon Movies. Aside from SpongeBob, Paramount Animation will also be developing film adaptations from Nick's other IPs, a few that been listed are Dora the Explorer, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, and Nick's MMO Monkey Quest. I find this interesting because this means Paramount Animation will join Walt Disney Animation Studios and Sony Pictures Animation as a third active in-house animation department/studio that produces theatrical films.

• Thumbs Up 6

Let's just hope that following this movie, we'll see a return to quality for the show.

Let's just hope that following this movie, we'll see a return to quality for the show.

I'd much rather this be the final ending to the show like the first movie was supposed to be. Then again, I know Nick will want to milk that cash cow till it runs dry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Paramount Animation will also be developing film adaptations from Nick's other IPs, a few that been listed are Dora the Explorer, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, and Nick's MMO Monkey Quest. I find this interesting because this means Paramount Animation will join Walt Disney Animation Studios and Sony Pictures Animation as a third active in-house animation department/studio that produces theatrical films.

This actually sounds pretty cool to me, as I sorta miss the era from the 90's- early 00's where popular animated series would get theatrical films. If this proves successful then maybe Cartoon Network will try again for the first time since their PPG movie I think, just for a little competition. Adventure Time or Regular Show movies for example would be pretty cool to see imo.

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually looking forward to this movie, haha. SpongeBob's actually gotten a lot better recently (the latest Season has seriously had some Season 2 level episodes) and with Stephen Hillenburg assisting production, along with a lot of other old faces like Sherm Cohen returning to work on the movie, I have hope that it'll be as good, if not better than the first film.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

Guess who else is getting the good-old "Live-action and Animation" treatment.

BpwiVgIIMAAn7Nh.jpg

Yep, that's right.

The film features live action scenes directed by Mike Mitchell.  Filming completed on November 5. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is scheduled to be released in theaters on February 6, 2015

On June 5, 2014, the film's release date was moved up one week to February 6, 2015 in order to avoid competition with Universal Pictures' Fifty Shades of Grey, which is set to premiere on the previous date

Oh...OK....

Horrible poster for what could potentially be a meh Spongebob movie. Not sure I'm going to like this very much... <=/

^ But wasn't one of the draws of the original episodes was that the creators could use live-action sequences, where, in an earlier series they worked on (can't remember which, Ren and Stimpy I think?) they were forced to remain with animation the whole way through?

Yeah, I don't like the looks of it.  I honestly think the live action/CGI combination never works out from either an aesthetic standpoint and somehow that terror always rubs off on the writing department.  Suffice it to say, I am not looking forward to this.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't much looking forward to it anyway given SpongeBob's recent performance but even less so now.

The live-action sequence in the first movie was hilarious, but a whole fim about it and possible use of CGI is just......wrong.

Wait a goddamn minute, I thought this was a cartoon cartoon film, not a CGI cartoon film? Did I get everything wrong?

Well, to be honest, I wasn't much looking forward to it anyway given SpongeBob's recent performance but even less so now.

How recent are we talking? :P I personally haven't watched the show in a good year, but the last batch of episodes I saw (Season 8, I think?) were actually really well-written (from a Post-Movie standpoint) and most people's complaints (gross-out gags, bad characterization) seemed to have mostly vanished...Bar Patrick. It's improved a fair bit from it's worst point a few years back.

As for this movie, the prospect kind of confuses me- SpongeBob being CGI on land when in other episodes (and even the first movie) just screams "BUY TICKETS KIDS SEE WE'RE RELEVANT SPENGEBOB IS 3DEE" and just communicates a general lack of faith in 2D theatrical animation that's kinda disheartening to see. I know some parts of the movie are going to be 2D, but it just feels like a gimmick having SpongeBob in CGI, which it most likely is. I'm kinda confused on exactly what the movie's trying to be, but I've heard Paul Tibbitt and Stephen Hillenburg are doing the story and the Kung Fu Panda writers are writing this, so I'm approaching this optimistically, but cautiously so.