Awoo.

Characters you feel have the most potential.

Kuzu

Most if not all of the characters in the Sonic universe could have their own 2d or 3d game. In terms of characters that could allow a fast paced game I can only really picture: Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, Tails and Metal Sonic. No one else really fits the bill. You could have Amy or Rogue etc as a sidekick like Tails was to Sonic in Sonic 2&3 when you played as Sonic and Tails.

Because I think opening another topic would be pointless, I'll just post it here:

Ok, I think a good way of making the characters good is to look at each and every one of them and ask ourselves "What does this character do, and how is it relevant in anyway and what can be improved about it."

For instance, let's take Amy for example:

What she does: Chase Sonic wherever he goes in hopes of winning his heart.

Relevance: Not much considering its only purpose serves is for a quick gag and then quickly forgotten.

How can it be improved: Well for starters they can give a more defined reason for why she follows Sonic beyond "She wuvs him", like maybe she follows him because Sonic fills her life with some excitement that she's been lacking and always wants to experience that excitement or something.

Let's see what you guys come up with.

Let's find a way to turn Amy into a medic so she can actually have an occupation as oppose to simply being the series' stalker? Hell, we could even work that occupation into her character:

*explosion occurs*

*Sonic gets knocked out*

Amy: Oh no! Sonic's passed out. I'll have to give him mouth-to-mouth CPR! *puckers up*

Sonic: *wakes up* *looks at Amy* WHAAAAAAAAA! Amy get offa me!

Amy: Oh, darn! And I thought I had you.

Rouge: Well, I see she's putting her medical skills to good use. *smirks*

Tails: That sounded so wrong...

People tend not to just fall into medical abilities, so I don't think it works for a character with no prior basis to suddenly take up doctorin'. Besides, female healers are a tired old cliche.

While it's only slightly less a cliche, I'd rather go the "little girl with a big hammer" route. Makes her an active participant rather than standing on the sidelines. Gives her a reasonable opportunity to be playable, too.

Let's find a way to turn Amy into a medic so she can actually have an occupation as oppose to simply being the series' stalker? Hell, we could even work that occupation into her character:

*explosion occurs*

*Sonic gets knocked out*

Amy: Oh no! Sonic's passed out. I'll have to give him mouth-to-mouth CPR! *puckers up*

Sonic: *wakes up* *looks at Amy* WHAAAAAAAAA! Amy get offa me!

Amy: Oh, darn! And I thought I had you.

Rouge: Well, I see she's putting her medical skills to good use. *smirks*

Tails: That sounded so wrong...

Hmm, that still leaves the problem of it being used as a gag humor instead of something serious, I mean yeah Amy is a comic relief character more or less, but she needs to be taken seriously sometimes. And really, the characters have never really be in danger of being hurt before, and besides I think Medic is better suited for Cream(She's god tier in Chronicles).

People tend not to just fall into medical abilities, so I don't think it works for a character with no prior basis to suddenly take up doctorin'. Besides, female healers are a tired old cliche.

No more cliche than everything else in this series.

While it's only slightly less a cliche, I'd rather go the "little girl with a big hammer" route. Makes her an active participant rather than standing on the sidelines. Gives her a reasonable opportunity to be playable, too.

While I do like this, I'm talking more from a personality and character standpoint. Both Tails, and Knuckles have established relationships and dynamics with Sonic that translate into their interactions(most of the time), with Amy all of their interactions play out like: "ZOMG SONIKKU" "BACK DA FUCK UP" and that's boring, I mean what kind of relationship can the two establish without changing them. I mean the for starters the two should be able to have some casual dialogue with each other without Amy constantly throwing herself at him.

What would the point of a medic be in this series, anyway? No one really gets hurt; the series is too much a lighthearted cartoon for any notable injury to occur without it feeling

(dear god Elise looks far more terrifying than I remembered)

No more cliche than everything else in this series.
If we're gonna try to fix things, shouldn't we be aiming for something better than what we already have?

Both Tails, and Knuckles have established relationships and dynamics with Sonic that translate into their interactions(most of the time), with Amy all of their interactions play out like: "ZOMG SONIKKU" "BACK DA FUCK UP" and that's boring,
While I don't like it either, that is most certainly an established relationship and dynamic that translates into their interactions.

I do agree that it'd be nice if they explained why she has such a crush on him, something beyond him just being a cool hero guy.

Edited by Diogenes

If we're gonna try to fix things, shouldn't we be aiming for something better than what we already have?

I was suggesting take what we have and try working with it, otherwise tear it down and make something new, which ever works better.

While I don't like it either, that is most certainly an established relationship and dynamic that translates into their interactions.

...Then something needs to change, because that's fucking pathetic if that's all they can come up with.....then again, Sa1 made it seem noble by having her improve herself because she's so devoted to Sonic, so there's that.

I do agree that it'd be nice if they explained why she has such a crush on him, something beyond him just being a cool hero guy.

It'd give some justification behind her personality at least. Wait didn't the Adventure games make it clear that she liked him because he's her "Hero", like he her Knight in shining armor.

Edited by Shadic Claus

Ah...damn. The cliche part has me beat.

I guess she's much too young to do some doctorin' to so...

Well I figured to throw something out there so that she does more than just stalk Sonic for the most part and be less of a sideline character. Give her an occupation with more substance than what she has right now, but I'm really just throwing things out at random and hearing thoughts on it.

Knuckles has the most potential, outside of Sonic himself. He can do almost all of Sonic's moves (spin jump, spin dash, run fast) with his own signature moves (punching, digging, climbing, gliding). Even his design has held up well over time and still unique to the Shadows/ Rouges/ Silvers that are created.

now if they only gave knuckles the voice of a black guy he would be truly unique :V

You know what we haven't seen? Sonic as a tool for a villain.

Now obviously Sonic isn't going to work for a villain out of his own free will so I kind of thought of how things could pan out if Sonic were captured and mind controlled in the video game canon.