Start - Entrance, swag hand outs

0:12 : VIP badges

0:21 : House of Blue store on left

0:28 : Buffet, tables n' chairs, Transformed demos, TVs playing the concert

0:50 : Sonic Merchandise people

0:56 : Bar with soda & coasters

1:55 : Stairs going to lower level, balcony area

2:15 : Table with the quiz raffle

2:52 : E-Postcard booth (there was another to the right of the stage)

3:05 : The 21+ bar

3:15 : The stage

3:20 : The room with the red beer sign is the VIP room

Sorry about the quality

You should have gone to the balcony to see Iizuka rock out tongue.png

Nice video though!

I don't have much to add to other people, but Sonic Boom was so awesome!

I'm mikeblastdude's friend facepur (Tyler), and I probably met a few of you at the event. I cosplayed as Tails Doll. Looking forward to making new friends with you guys!

Most of the best pictures Mike took, but I've got a few snaps to upload here for you guys too:

oMNrbl.jpg

The start of a verrrrrry long line. XD

HTSeRl.jpg

Inside the main room.

FJvg9l.jpg

Get a load of my favorite cosplay of the evening.

All in all it was one of the most fun events I've ever been to. If there's a Sonic Boom 2013, I'm sure I'll want to go!

My friend and I met a guy named Sean and became fast buddies, sticking with him the entire night. It was really nice to finally meet someone who actually can talk to me on Sonic-related stuff.

It was great to see all the various memes and such in the crowd. The trollface during the costume contest was "wow," and the baby Tails was just adorable. Next year's costume contest I'm not sure who I'd want to go as.. I'm thinking Fleetway Super, Dark Enerjak, or Lightning Lynx so I can stand out. Either way I'll be sweating buckets.

I believe I met Evan Stanley there but I think I came off as rude. I need to write her an apology. For she is awesome.

Loved Iizuka's face when SA3 came up; despite his English difficulties, his expression did seem to scream, "Not this again!" I found it funny that when he went outside his comfort zone with Marine the Raccoon, asking everyone about her, and everyone near-universally went "No!" Also liked the head of Sumo's recounting of the NiGHTS campaign... especially since he used the word "inundated."

Great event overall, even if I wish the concert was longer. I'll try to go next year, though the person we were with said there was speculation the event will be near Boston or some such next year. Ah well, guess I gotta reserve me some flight tickets!

I spent time with Tyler and Mike (ocassionally DJ Ear too) most of the evening (as well as spending the Crush 40 concert with the one and only Shayne Edwards), myself, but I'm sure that I saw the rest of you guys as well. Pics I have will come later.

I suggested this to Mike and Jix, but I think those of us at the SSMB should meet up for lunch or something before Sonic Boom '13 (If what Jix told me is true, it's likely to happen around Comic Con again next year, as SEGA was very happy about it occuring during SDCC).

Edited by SonHOG

Given that it seems a lot of the partygoers were coming straight from Comic-Con, it makes sense; even the person we met at the party said the only reason he was there was he happened to be in town for SDCC. Sega made a genius marketing move, taking advantage of the tourist season in SD.

I just hope those rumors of them moving it to the East Coast are unfounded...

Sega, I have an idea! Make a West AND East Coast one! tongue.png

I got a few videos, only one I've uploaded thus far is this one:

I was afraid they wouldn't play this one, but it just turns out they saved the best for last. ;)

Next year I dunno whether I want to cosplay or make myself some sort of custom Sonic Shift shirt... either way I'd be recognisable. tongue.png

Edited by TaniciusFox

Given that it seems a lot of the partygoers were coming straight from Comic-Con, it makes sense; even the person we met at the party said the only reason he was there was he happened to be in town for SDCC. Sega made a genius marketing move, taking advantage of the tourist season in SD.

I just hope those rumors of them moving it to the East Coast are unfounded...

Sega, I have an idea! Make a West AND East Coast one! tongue.png

I got a few videos, only one I've uploaded thus far is this one:

I was afraid they wouldn't play this one, but it just turns out they saved the best for last. wink.png

Next year I dunno whether I want to cosplay or make myself some sort of custom Sonic Shift shirt... either way I'd be recognisable. tongue.png

Who told you that they were going to do it in the east coast? When I talked to Webber he said that next year they might do try to do it again during Comic-Con.

Apparently it being on the East Coast near Boston was the buzz on another major Sonic fansite or something. At least, that's what our newfound friend relayed. I assume it was just speculation, and hope as such.

Though hearing something from Webber himself is assuring. I go to San Diego every Summer anyway, so being able to get my fix of hedgehogs(I'm going through withdrawal already) is definitely a plus.

Though why they wouldn't host one event on each coast beats me. The vast majority of attendees that I could see were from California, so I think it'd be a good idea to get in one the whole East Coast megapolis while we're at it.

--

Related question: does Sega profit in any way from these events? I don't know if the ticket sales partially went to them, or if the House of Blues kept them all. I assume they get a nice cut of the merchandise, naturally.

Approx 800 Attendees x $15 per ticket ($5 ticket fee not accounted for due to it being Ticket Master's service fee) => $12,000

Approx 1000 Archie Sonic comics => $1,000 OR some other amount, possibly donated?)

Approx 1000 Chao keychain production costs (OR 2000 if each attendee obtain two) -> $???

Approx 1000 Sonic Boom T-shirts production costs -> $???

Paying essential staff/entertainers -> $???

Renting House of Blues for a day -> $???

All You Can Eat Buffet full of miniature food + drinks + 2 complimentary alcoholic beverages => $???

I'm leaning towards SEGA not profiting monetary off of Sonic Boom, but it was so awesome that they can put aside a portion of their budget to hold a Sonic event such as this. But yeah they prepare the event for 1000 attendees in mind, and only 800ish attended.

Edited by SEGAMew

I would assume the comics were donated by Archie, though I heard some weren't in the best quality so maybe they were from a private collection.

Though if it was from Archie itself, it'd be a genius move; it could possibly improve interest in the comic and thus generate more revenue for Archie and therefore, Sega. The first sample being free is always a good strategy.

Overall though, it probably is a net loss at face value. However, I agree that it's cool they were willing to take a hit to host it.

Their promotion of the merchandising store(which I assume they get a cut of) and generating further interest in their upcoming titles probably helps pay for it over time, though. Using the event to generate exposure for new ventures is a good marketing strategy.

80% turnout is still pretty impressive, I think. Being surrounded by 800 of my own kind is very heartwarming and solidifies my loyalty.

Hopefully they'll keep hosting these year after year! (On that note, did Summer of Sonic start off Sega-sponsored or was it a fan-based thing? Just curious if Sega ever did pull back its support, if a fan-alternative would be viable...)

Edited by TaniciusFox

The Archie comics were in great condition before being stuffed in the Sonicmerchandise.com bag and got all creased up :P the issues people seem to get are 4 years old and newer, plenty of range there. I do agree that this event as a great way to advertise. It probably costed SEGA the same amount of money to Host Sonic Boom as it does throwing Sonic in an Insurance commercial.

SoS is fan-ran with some SEGA involvment/contribution I believe.

yey.jpg

This year was my first year at Sonic Boom since I'm from the UK. I always attend Summer of Sonic here in London so it was great to visit an American convention and meet the fans!

SEGA brought me over for the NiGHTS announcement so I spent a lot of time with the community team watching it all set up and tear down. Let me tell you guys, you only see an tiny TINY tiny fraction of the ball busting work these guys put in to holding an event like this. My mind was blown. I mean I've done stage shows before so I know what goes into it, but seriously, the hard work that went into this - very very admirable. All the little details were painstaking things that I'm glad I got to appreciate first hand. What sometimes might seem like a simple thing, ask the SoS guys here, can turn out to be jumping through hoops and legalities. The logistics of an event like this would make me hide under a table *lol* So much love and care went into orginizing it. All the guests and the staff were total gold and I have nothing but respect for them. Plus they were also working Comic con and the Popup arcade events. Multi taskin-

Thanks to the people that chatted to me throughout the day. I wasn't very good at being stealthy due to my massive hair *lol* but it was great being able to step onto the stage and say thanks to everyone. I'm so happy that people care about NiGHTS. The American crowd was lovely smile.png

I absolutely LOVED the venue. It was like some crazy Samba Di house with lots of little secret corridors and jeweled walls and UV lamps. The stage was amazing and the backstage areas were great too. ViP was super plush. My highlight of the entire trip was just getting to hang out with Iizuka San in ViP and chat about random non gaming related stuff and have a total laugh. I've wanted to do that for years so it was big deal to me. He's such a nice guy ^^ So are Cash Cash! I'd never met them before but they are hilarious.

Watching everyones reactions to the Disney announcemnet from the side of the stage was GREAT. Everyone freaked out XD Myself included.

I think I'm definitely going to start trying to attend both SoS and Boom each year now. San Diego was incredible and so were the fans.

I'll post up some of my photos:

293787_10151015224587418_29680823_n.jpg

202415_4343717033450_1436666956_o.jpg

330805_4345926688690_599284841_o.jpg

251934_4345989610263_961524718_n.jpg

412507_4346038811493_422882786_o.jpg

179098_4346040011523_669739580_n.jpg

558251_4347814415882_1265239636_n.jpg

I've got lots more photos of my trip on my FB page at:

http://www.facebook.com/imagni

Edited by TRiPPY
  • Thumbs Up 2

yey.jpg

This year was my first year at Sonic Boom since I'm from the UK. I always attend Summer of Sonic here in London so it was great to visit an American convention and meet the fans!

SEGA brought me over for the NiGHTS announcement so I spent a lot of time with the community team watching it all set up and tear down. Let me tell you guys, you only see an tiny TINY tiny fraction of the ball busting work these guys put in to holding an event like this. My mind was blown. I mean I've done stage shows before so I know what goes into it, but seriously, the hard work that went into this - very very admirable. All the little details were painstaking things that I'm glad I got to appreciate first hand. What sometimes might seem like a simple thing, ask the SoS guys here, can turn out to be jumping through hoops and legalities. The logistics of an event like this would make me hide under a table *lol* So much love and care went into orginizing it. All the guests and the staff were total gold and I have nothing but respect for them. Plus they were also working Comic con and the Popup arcade events. Multi taskin-

Thanks to the people that chatted to me throughout the day. I wasn't very good at being stealthy due to my massive hair *lol* but it was great being able to step onto the stage and say thanks to everyone. I'm so happy that people care about NiGHTS. The American crowd was lovely smile.png

I absolutely LOVED the venue. It was like some crazy Samba Di house with lots of little secret corridors and jeweled walls and UV lamps. The stage was amazing and the backstage areas were great too. ViP was super plush. My highlight of the entire trip was just getting to hang out with Iizuka San in ViP and chat about random non gaming related stuff and have a total laugh. I've wanted to do that for years so it was big deal to me. He's such a nice guy ^^ So are Cash Cash! I'd never met them before but they are hilarious.

Watching everyones reactions to the Disney announcemnet from the side of the stage was GREAT. Everyone freaked out XD Myself included.

I think I'm definitely going to start trying to attend both SoS and Boom each year now. San Diego was incredible and so were the fans.

I'll post up some of my photos:

293787_10151015224587418_29680823_n.jpg

202415_4343717033450_1436666956_o.jpg

330805_4345926688690_599284841_o.jpg

251934_4345989610263_961524718_n.jpg

412507_4346038811493_422882786_o.jpg

179098_4346040011523_669739580_n.jpg

558251_4347814415882_1265239636_n.jpg

I've got lots more photos of my trip on my FB page at:

http://www.facebook.com/imagni

So jelly that you got to be on stage/backstage!

You should have hinted at Iizuka a new Nights game....or a Sonic & Nights crossover!

"So how are you liking beautiful San Diego Iizuka? By the way how about a crossover between Sonic & Nights? You want a refill on that drink?" tongue.png

Now I have something else to talk to him when I see him next year.

Perhaps Sega is open to bribery the same as Sumo if we're lucky! Enough chocolate can get anyone to do anything.

Did Iizuka speak in English during these conversations? I'm not quite sure exactly what his level of fluency is, but I did find it cool he went out of his comfort zone for the Marine the Raccoon question. (Plus the crowd's reaction will keep me laughing for some time)

That reminds me of another point. I was amazed at the unity the crowd was able to display at times. When the Sonic fandom is so well known for making a fourth world nation look stable, it was very heartwarming to see everyone able to come together as one. Definitely looking forward to Hedgehog Day to find out the scoop on the next one. =]

Also, Cash Cash. I would have liked it if you performed Speak With Your Heart, nice as Party In Your Bedroom is.

Edited by TaniciusFox

• 2 weeks later...

I was the guy in the Shinobi costume and the only Sega character not from the Sonic series. Tried to bring a friend who was going to do NiGHTS but due to certain events, she couldn't come along with us :( While I praised for the Mecha Sonic and Eggman cosplayers, I hope we can get SEGA cosplayers to come next years Sonic Boom.

TRiPPY would have been proud to see a NiGHTS cosplayer.

I hope we can get SEGA cosplayers to come next years Sonic Boom.

Among other things, I at one point was contemplating coming as Axel from Streets of Rage. Although that would be kind of hard to recognize. :P

Among other things, I at one point was contemplating coming as Axel from Streets of Rage. Although that would be kind of hard to recognize. tongue.png

Dude, you would have been the perfect Axel Stone :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently SEGA did a recap video of what went on which makes sense since they were interviewing people and stuff.

Heh, I'm the guy in Trippys 4th picture (Playing Transformed)

Had an awesome time chit-chatting with you and glad you enjoyed San Diego smile.png

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Edited by Jix Hedgehog

Apparently SEGA did a recap video of what went on which makes sense since they were interviewing people and stuff.

Well, I get the feeling they'll host a third one... so gotta get the word out there somehow. ;)

This time, I am booking my tickets way in advance, that's for sure.