Awoo.

What keeps you coming back to the franchise?

Solid SOAP

In which game? Cause in S1, there was no spindash. Generations, yeah, but I wouldn't call that "freedom" exactly.

Freedom dictates that you can shake up that combination of Jumps and Spindash's to your hearts content.....

Which really only leads to spending more time playing a boring, clunky game. It's not really freedom when you're choosing the least bad choice.

Generations Classic, sure, because it's a shallow, crappy gameplay style.

The games have been far from boring from where I'm standing, and Sonic games are only shallow on the surface. People who dedicate time to it can make that Hedgehog dance. I know you've seen enough clean speedruns over the years to know that much.

Meh, Prehaps I just get more out of them then you do.

I don't come back persay, I just stay in one place and watch everything going on.

But why I still stay around...because I like to imagine my own scenarios with Sonic and Co., or just "fix" what is presented to me in my head. It's the closest thing I have to an imagination.

It's a platformer, and one of the only ones that once compared to Mario in terms of quality and endearment. In love with the character designs too. I keep thinking the series is going to make me feel as awesome as it did when it hit the gamecube.

Honestly, the music. Sega (in my eyes) have fantastic composers that definitely capture the sound of Sonic very well. Always keeps me interested. Infact, I really like the Sonic 06 OST. But my favorite has to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I've never felt that.

Whatever your personal threshold for freedom might be, the classic must have done a better job at reaching it. But there's more to freedom than being able to just go anywhere, They gave you a greater deal of small scale control over the particulars, finer granularity so to speak. Rather than just, say, jumping over something, you had very fine control over how you jumped over something. A lot of times when I make a rapid series of jumps I'm not even holding the D-pad, just letting momentum take me and adjusting my speed as I go.

Edited so it's finished, what happened, I can't recall.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why do I keep coming back?

1. I like to keep up any news of an upcoming game or a special event like SOS.

2. I love the franchise despite it's past imperfections and how unpredictable each installment can bring to the table (for better or worse).

3. I love coming back to this forum. You guys are great. Mature, polite, and love to get into debates. It feels so nice to talk amongst others who share my enthusiasm for the series and read interesting topics from time to time.

I just love Sonic too much to give him up. Trust me, there have been times where I've been so disappointed and considered leaving the series (Heroes, Shadow, Colors...), but when I am happy with the game it makes it so worth it. Maybe it sounds silly, but the letdowns that occur make the good games ever more amazing too.

Basically, what I'd like to know from the fanbase of the franchise in which the quality is so inconsistent and unpredictable, what, exactly, keeps you coming back for more? Specifically, from 2004-2008, what made you stay with the franchise for so long after countless disappointments?

I've been into the franchise since early 2003, Sonic X was the fuel for the little building flame of being a Sonic fan (although I grew to dislike Sonic X) and became a big time fan from 2003-2007, I drew Sonic fan art non stop... XD

But Sonic X ended, Sonic 06 disappointed me and the crazyness of DA made me leave the Sonic fanbase for a while, I was mildly interested and kept buying the games for the sake of collection.

But Sonic Colors came out and I am back in.

Whatever your personal threshold for freedom might be, the classic must have done a better job at reaching it. But there's more to freedom than being able to just go anywhere, They gave you a greater deal of

Eggman ate the rest of your post :o!! We'll never know what they gave us a great deal of... cool.png

But anyway I come back around to this franchise for the music and visual experience these days. The series has generally had some amazing music (bar my own personal distaste for most of the 'buttrock' era nowadays, I used to like them but not no more) and the recent games to me are more of a visual experience rather than something totally interactive. Though don't get me wrong they are definitely getting more interactive now. Regardless though it is still a unique experience I can't really find elsewhere so thats what keeps me coming back in terms of the present day. The strongest thing that keeps me coming back though is the fact that I grew up with Sonic games pretty much since I was 2 years old. The classics always keep me coming back for more because to me they are some of the finest platforming games around. I make it a habit to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles many times during a year since it is an absolute blast, with all my favourite music and stages and characters (KNUCKLES MANNNG).

Basically I just keep coming around because I like Sonic. Even if the games fell into another Sonic 06/Shadow The Hedgehog type era consistently, and totally sucked time and time again, my love for the experiences I've had with the franchise and my memories will still be there and since the series has inspired me artistically and musically as well, I can never truly find it in myself to hate the series. I still have all the good times to remember after all.