Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

I honestly hope there isn't voice acting.

No offense, but I think he sounds fucking horrible in UMVC3.

I don't think it would be the same with voice acting either, but his UMVC3 voice was good, I thought.

He didn't yell as much(more of an issue with direction than anything) but his normal speaking voice sounds a lot like how I'd expect it to.

Although that reminds me: are they going to re-use the same Objection clips from the DS? Will they re-record new lines with a new actor? Will they bring Ben Judd back in?

They might be able to get away with lifting lines, but the gameplay might dictate he have new ones besides the "Objection! Hold it! Take that!" stuff we're familiar with.

Edited by Solly

I love the Ace Attorney series, but I'm just not all that excited for this. :/

Ace Attorney is, in my eyes, a series that's been in constant, gradual decline since the first game, and the series as a whole feels like its getting a bit stale. This is why Apollo Justice is still my second favourite game in the series (after the first Ace Attorney); it felt fresh and new. Admittedly it was the second one I played, but even after playing the whole series, I still stand by that opinion.

As it stands, the core Ace Attorney canon is just having stuff tacked on and retconned in to bloating point. The characters are losing their charm, the plots are getting less interesting, more ridiculous and the series generally feels like they're just milking the cash cow for all it's worth. As a fan, I can see why people want more. And it's not hard to see why Capcom want to keep milking the series. As much as I like Phoenix, I wish they'd just let him step down. Give him a background role like in Apollo (although he arguably hijacked that plot anyway), but the series needs to move on.

Do we know when this is set, anyway? Is it following on from Apollo Justice (since technically Phoenix could get his job back after everything was cleared up), or is it going to be more retcon? If I remember correctly, the series director said that each game was made with the assumption that there wouldn't be any more afterwards. It's why the first game is such a solid, self-contained story, and why everything after that starts to feel a bit tacked-on; because it is. Also, did he not say that he considered the main Ace Attorney story 'complete' after the third game? I don't think he even had much or any involvement in the Ace Attorney Investigations games.

I love Ace Attorney, but in all honesty as far as I'm concered, they need to change things up quite a bit or just let the series die. But then, how many franchises actually quit while they're ahead these days? Quite frankly I'd rather the 3DS game was a remake of the first one than an original new game. D:

Yeah I'm pretty much buying this immediately despite my past adamant claims of not buying another Capcom game first-hand. Hell, I'll buy this even before I get a 3DS if it came down to that.

Like Carbo said, this series needs the money.

Also they seriously need to give Edgeworth the spotlight as the 'rival' again. All the other prosecutors just don't cut it for me at all.

That said, that's the problem with continually and forcubly extending the series; Edgeworth's role in the plot is basically done. He's had his character development, so being the rival wouldn't really fit him any more, either. But at the same time, all the others can't hold half a candle to him as a character.

Am I the only one who thinks Capcom saying they're planning to release it in the West doesn't guarantee a release over here at all? I mean, "planning" is a vague statement, and this is Capcom after all. I wouldn't be too excited yet.

Not that I wouldnt want this game really badly over here...

• Thumbs Up 2

That the ones who will not get localized are the most appealing and fanserviced (first out of all, that All Stars game with Classic Megaman, Original Dante, Phoenix Wright and Leon instead of Chris).

Voice acting almost certainly wouldn't be done. Even in Japan I don't think the games ever sold enough to justify that sort of expense.

That said, that's the problem with continually and forcubly extending the series; Edgeworth's role in the plot is basically done. He's had his character development, so being the rival wouldn't really fit him any more, either. But at the same time, all the others can't hold half a candle to him as a character.

Well, Phoenix had his share of character development and his story was completely told at the end of T&T, and he still showed up as Hobo Phoenix; so I don't think character development in and of itself changes things in that regard.

At most, I can see the characters making more exclamations than just the standard fare we've gotten before, like grunts or gasps of surprise. I wouldn't mind voice acting but I doubt we'd get it at this point.

Also, it'd be hilarious if there happened to be a flashback case and it used the sprite style of the previous games. Certainly wouldn't happen and it'd just bring complaints about the rest of the game not looking like it, though.

I really hope we don't get Edgeworth again as the rival, actually. He was really prominent in the first game for obvious reasons, got a playable role in the third, and has two of his own spin-off games, for crying out loud. He's had his share of the spotlight.

(Also he wasn't even the best rival)

godot.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Ain't he dead or something? The ending implied they were going to fry him.[/missing the point]

Also, more Edgeworth implies more Oldbag. That's... I don't need to see that with much more detailed sprites at a higher resolution.

Isn't the 3DS game being modelled in 3D?

Besides, we'll be getting HD Oldbag in the iOS collection. mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the 3DS game being modelled in 3D?

Besides, we'll be getting HD Oldbag in the iOS collection. mellow.png

The sprites were ugly enough already in the iOS version. :c

... God help us all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Edgeworth didn't appear at all, though like I mentioned before, he would probably show up near the end of the game like he did for JFA and T&T. At this point I wouldn't put it past Capcom to just have him and Phoenix star in their separate adventures from now on.

It's also typical Ace Attorney fare to have a rival who tends to have a serious grudge on you, and Edgeworth has no beef with Phoenix anymore. ...And that's probably why Klavier wasn't nearly as threatening as other prosecutors.

Uhm, how about Franziska Von Karma? What's her current situation?

Prosecuting in Germany? Or maybe she kept on as an Interpol agent?

Edited by Polar Vec

It's also typical Ace Attorney fare to have a rival who tends to have a serious grudge on you, and Edgeworth has no beef with Phoenix anymore. ...And that's probably why Klavier wasn't nearly as threatening as other prosecutors.

And why Godot, IMO worked so well.

Edgeworth V Phoenix as a character arc was basically finished by the end of the first game, the reason it worked so well is edgeworth's plot was integrated within the cases he appeared in, more often then not and it was core to the game's over all story. They can't really pull that again because it's done and dusted. He works well in a cameo roll because of how awesome he was in the first game, but building him as main rival wouldn't work and would water down the character.

You just have to hope the new prosecutor is awesome as well

ps: i actually liked klavier D;

Klavier was the only prosecutor who actually did his job right from the starting gate. He'll always have my respect for that alone as it was a welcome breath of fresh air to have a prosecutor that was ahead of you and was confident in his job and talent, yet still was on good terms with you. Besides, can't fault that savvy bastard for making Guilty Love.

Granted when you couple a character like that with a lead that's consistently being undermined by it's supporting cast, it's easy to think a lot less of him because of it. A story can survive a lot of bad things, but it's hard to survive if a main character doesn't manage much.

• Thumbs Up 1