Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

17 hours ago, Sean said:

Enjoy the worst game in the series, guys

I didn't realize they were planning on re-releasing Ace Attorney Investigations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Spirit of Justice is now a year old. God damn that game was a steaming disappointment. They brought back Maya for a background role, and Apollo's back story felt like a total ass pull. I still think that AA6 is the worst game in the series. I really don't like the story that's going on there at all. AA5 is the next worst, but I do that like it at least. The Layton crossover was fantastic though (and had way better voice acting). 

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Spirit of Justice is now a year old. God damn that game was a steaming disappointment. They brought back Maya for a background role, and Apollo's back story felt like a total ass pull. I still think that AA6 is the worst game in the series. I really don't like the story that's going on there at all. AA5 is the next worst, but I do that like it at least. The Layton crossover was fantastic though (and had way better voice acting). 

I can't speak for the others you mentioned as I haven't played enough of them, but I too enjoyed the crossover up until the god awful finale.

5 minutes ago, dwibs93 said:

I can't speak for the others you mentioned as I haven't played enough of them, but I too enjoyed the crossover up until the god awful finale.

The finale was... annoyingly typical of Layton. Some absolute nonsense conclusion (that the player couldn't possibly have come to themselves) explaining that the entire town was an improbable illusion. I guess I'm just too used to liking everything about Layton games up until the last minute.

The Witch trials themselves though? Bloody loved them.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

The finale was... annoyingly typical of Layton. Some absolute nonsense conclusion (that the player couldn't possibly have come to themselves) explaining that the entire town was an improbable illusion. I guess I'm just too used to liking everything about Layton games up until the last minute.

The Witch trials themselves though? Bloody loved them.

Which is odd, the past few Layton games before the crossover dropped having a "wacky layton plot twist lol", but I guess Capcom and Level 5 couldn't help themselves.

That and the departure of Inafune during development did not help.

I love the OST though (helps that most of the Layton side has music from Specter's Call, my favourite Layton OST)

I still haven't gotten around to finishing Dual Destinies myself. Kind of hit AA burnout again after finishing Trials and Tribulations as well as the anime hitting Big Top Turnabout around that time. I need to get around to finishing Apollo Justice (I'm up to Case 3) and Edgeworth Investigations.

On another note, I do want to play the Layton crossover but the game is expensive in the UK for some reason.

I definitely agree that the handling of Maya in Spirit Of Justice was less than wonderful; I don't think they did her character justice as a personality, and in retrospect she seems more like a plot device than anything else.  Partly I'd call that a symptom of the series still picking up the pieces after the fallout of the mid-development AA4 plot shift to include Phoenix, and it makes me wonder if the best direction for the series right now might be to actually go through with the soft reboot they had planned all those years ago.  The series seems to be in a difficult spot, with the non-localisation of the Great Ace Attorney games and that spin-off's apparently lack of popularity in Japan.

So far as Layton is concerned, while the finale to the crossover was pretty absurd, I think I preferred it that way.  The one mainline Layton game I've played, apparently from the post-wacky-plot-twist era, had a pretty lacklustre and uninteresting finale which was part of the reason I never picked up any other titles.  The big twist in the crossover title could probably still have done with being just a little less unbelievable, though; when the rational explanation for seemingly magical effects seems less realistic than magic itself, you've got problems...

• 2 weeks later...

iNixaFq.png

Well of course you'd know about flowers and love Phoenix.

Between your Dahlias, Hawthorns, and your

Spoiler

Iris.

Still waiting for her to return. :U

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

iNixaFq.png

Well of course you'd know about flowers and love Phoenix.

Between your Dahlias and your

Hide contents

Iris.

Still waiting for her to return. :U

tenor.gif

"Hm, yes. How dare I actually focus on detective work and doing something productive, as opposed to reading books on daisies. Thank you Wright, you've truly set me straight on this matter. I shall remember this the next time you're trapped in court and need someone to save you last minute. I'd love to do it, but I'll be too busy reading books on roses". 

Aaaaanyway, anyone else hoping they might port the HD Trilogy/Apollo Justice/anything else to Switch? Seems like it'd be a pretty awesome console to have Ace Attorney on.

• Chuckle 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funimation Lists Releases for Morose Mononokean, Ace Attorney, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

posted on 2017-10-16 15:35 EDT

Release dates added for Berserk, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Time Travel Girl

objection.jpgFUNimation Entertainment's online store is listing the following release dates for Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo packs that are part of its collaboration with Crunchyroll:

All five series will have both English and Japanese audio, and Funimation will offer limited editions for Berserk and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. The English dub of Berserk is already streaming on Funimation's website.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news/2017-10-16/funimation-lists-releases-for-morose-mononokean-ace-attorney-yamada-kun-and-the-seven-witches/.122810

At long last, we have received official news of the Ace Attorney anime's english dub, courtesy of Funimation.

Featuring both its English and Japanese audio the Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo of Ace Attorney Season 1 will be released on January 23rd of 2018.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

In recent news, there has been a new Court skit video released where Phoenix and Maya come face to face with Nick's ancestor and his own assistant Susato.

• 2 weeks later...

For those keeping tune with Ace Attorney, we have received news as early as yesterday that a new Ace Attorney game for the Nintendo Switch is in development. Set to be upon us around April of next year.

Capcom making Switch games targeted for next fiscal year, including Ace Attorney

Posted on November 10, 2017 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch

ace-attorney-spirit-justice-prologue-656

Capcom’s status has a bit unclear when it comes to supporting Switch. However, Capcom COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto has made it clear that the company is planning games for the consoles.

Tsujimoto told Jiji that Capcom will have Switch games intended for release with the next fiscal year. That means we can expect to see titles after April. According to Tsujimoto, Ace Attorney is one big IP that we can expect to see on Nintendo’s console.

Source, Via

http://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-making-switch-games-targeted-for-next-fiscal-year-includes-ace-attorney/

While personally, I'd love to hope for a universal release date around said April or May, at the very least it being region free should be a great boon (even if they release some spin-offs Japanese-only again this time).

I honestly wouldn't mind if it ended up being a massive Ace Attorney Collection. Throw in the HD remakes of AA, JFA, T&T, AJ, and maybe Edgeworth 1 & 2? Hell, even place in Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice? I'd definitely pick it up.

...Set to be upon us between April of next year and April of 2019, strictly speaking; that is, the next fiscal year.  Personally, I'd take a updated port/compilation of both Great Ace Attorney games, since that's the last-gasp chance of us ever getting them in the west.  Outside of that, for a new title I'd like to see something which shakes the franchise up a bit; breathe a little new life in.

Assuming this is AA7, I really hope it keeps the trend of keeping a large focus on Apollo since

Spoiler

at the end of AA6 he leaves Wright's agency to set up his own firm, which kind of seems like a suspicious way of writing him out of the series as a mainstay

However I wouldn't mind more focus on Athena again.

I'm also in the camp in that I hope this is another Apollo focused game.

Spoiler

I really hope the ending of the AA6 wasn't done just to write him out of the series. I'm only a fan because of Apollo and Trucy. If they go, then I have 0 fucks for this series anymore.

I recall reading somewhere that the developers had outright stated that the ending of AA6:

Spoiler

Was deliberately intended to park all the characters somewhere where they could easily be picked up no matter what they wanted to do with them for the next game.  There's no way they'd have put that Lamiroir tease at the end if they were done with Apollo.

I'd be happy with an Apollo-centric game next time; I think Phoenix as a character has run his course and we can be happy with where he's been left off.  Park Apollo in a small town somewhere with his own law firm, bring in a newbie associate he hired in Khurain who has their own new magical lawyer superpower, give him a friendly rival prosecutor, focus on developing a sense of place, try to avoid some of the more common twists in the series - that's what I'm looking for.

Speaking to two independent sources, Kotaku UK has learned that Capcom currently has plans for three Ace Attorney games for Switch. The company is planning to release two compilations in the first half of  the 2018- 2019 financial year (between April 2018 and October 2018), one a compilation of the first three Ace Attorney games, the other compiling Ace Attorney games four through six in the series.

This specific configuration makes a lot of sense, because Capcom has previously re-released the games on iOS — which already has 1-3 and 4-6, in separate apps, updated for HD on a single screen touch screen device — and 3DS, the first three being bundled as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. Which may have made these bundles something of a no-brainer for the publisher.

However, our sources indicate that this is leading up to something.

Capcom has apparently also begun work on a new mainline Ace Attorney game, aiming for a late 2018 simultaneous global release on Switch and mobile. The new game is planned to contain five cases at launch, and features Phoenix Wright returning as the playable protagonist of the story.

Exciting times! I'll let you know when we hear any more details, until then: court is adjourned.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13/report-capcom-developing-new-ace-attorney-for-switch-plus-compilations

Reports from Kotaku UK claim that they've received specification that currently there are three Ace Attorney projects in the works for the Switch:

1. Compilation of the first free games (please be a remake)
  2. Compilation of Ace Attorney 4-6.
  3. The new Ace Attorney game, Ace Attorney 7 which will feature Phoenix Wright as the playable protagonist.
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13/report-capcom-developing-new-ace-attorney-for-switch-plus-compilations

Reports from Kotaku UK claim that they've received specification that currently there are three Ace Attorney projects in the works for the Switch:

1. Compilation of the first free games (please be a remake)
  2. Compilation of Ace Attorney 4-6.
  3. The new Ace Attorney game, Ace Attorney 7 which will feature Phoenix Wright ad the playable protagonist.

Please be compilations for the Switch, oh god I've wanted to relax and play Ace Attorney on a proper console for awhile, as opposed to mobile/handheld. It's got the same issue as Danganronpa for me. I'd prefer just playing on a big screen and relaxing as opposed to having to keep worrying about battery charge and such.

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Please be compilations for the Switch, oh god

Capcom currently has plans for three Ace Attorney games for Switch. 

Got you covered there.  Lol

Wow, look, it's the opposite of what I was hoping for.

...Though I suppose I have no ill will towards bringing the main series to Switch in compilations.  The thinking is probably that there might be a lot of console purchasers who aren't familiar with a previously handheld-based series.  It's a sensible move.

I have to wonder why on Earth they don't compile all six into one collection. If a Switch game can contain Mario Odyssey, I'm sure it can hold 4 DS titles and 2 3DS ones.

Probably gonna pick up all of them. I have the trilogy and 5 on 3DS, and Apollo on my phone, but I'd love to play it on a TV so my siblings can enjoy it.

I'll wait until we get a story synopsis first before writing it off but I'm just about done with this series and using Phoenix as a crutch character.