Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games

Sami

So did I miss the deadline or can I still participate in Day 2?

You've got 24 hours starting from the new day update. You've still got about 12 more hours.

Then its to get to postin:

Favorite Video game:

250px-Pokemon_HeartGold_Version_box.jpg250px-Pokemon_SoulSilver_Version_box.jpg

Yeah, the remakes(And arguably the best games in the whole damn series) of Gold/Silver. I tell you I've probably invested more hours into these games alone than anything else in my life...which is sad I know, but this game is that fun and addiciting.

Gameplay: Yeah its your typical Pokemon plot: Get mons, beat Team Generic, pound rival, the end, but everything about the gameplay is revamped to the point of perfection. All of the slowness of Diamond/Pearl? Fucking gone. The physical/special split makes every trainer an actual challenge(Not that originals were easy), and Kanto actually doesn't feel like a waste of time considering how under leveled everyone was before. Pokemon can follow you, something we thought we'd never see again after Yellow, and you can equip your running shoes so its not so damn tedious to get from town to town holding the B button.

Soundtrack:The best soundtrack in the series, just got better. It takes everyone memorable track and makes it sound even more memorable. Route 29 is probably my favorite remix, and if I'm feeling Nostalgic, just pop in good ole GBA sounds. They even threw in some new tracks as well, and finally giving Ho Oh and Lugia their own themes, as well as remixing the theme of the beast depending on who you are(Raikou has an electric guitar riff in its version, while Entei has a more volcanic vibe to it).

Conclusion:This game is perfection, yeah it might be the nostalgia talking, but who cares, BUY THIS GAME.

• Thumbs Up 2

This seems nearly impossible for me to decide but, I'm going to gut check and go with my favorite game in one of my favorite series, the Mario series.

Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Box-Art-500x500.jpg

Sort of like how each 3D Zelda game was an expansion on what made the original foray great, the Mario series followed a similar trend of trying to achieve the perfect platforming experience in 3D. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is my favorite because, it finally brought both types of Mario games together perfectly. It felt like playing an old Super Mario Brothers game in 3D, and there were also open stages from Mario's N64 and Gamecube days (including a full remake of Whomp's Fortress!). When someone asks me what Mario is, this is the game I'll use as an example, pure platforming fun that becomes a playground once you've gotten into the groove.

An honorable mention goes to the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Despite the problems that some seem to have with the controls, this is the perfect 3D Zelda game to me. The overworld is finally a challenge filled obstacle course, instead of a barren field with the occassional secret, again. The motion controls are also the first time where I actually felt like the game truly needed them to work.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Day 2 - WHATS YO FAVORITE VIDYA

I have several, but I'll give you just some of them per genre:

JRPG's - Pokémon Black and White:

No seriously. Black and White were by far one of my favorite games in the entire Pokémon franchise, and I could say it is almost like the series own version of FFIX, taking all of the clichés and usual Poké-tropes (sometimes traps) and melting them and re-inventing them to the point where it is almost intrinsically refined and perfect. Aft, er all, the entire story was a Deconstruction of how Mons would work in reality, and I can't wait to see what will happen in Grey.

The N and Ghetsis sub-plot was by far more interesting than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Version's Team Galactic where it was Instrumentality all over again, and by far, this was much more interesting than the previous generation of mainline games AS A WHOLE. I mean, a Legendary that had already created everything and everyone in the world? Come on, Game Freak. The balance of the world at stake seemed to be better pulled-off than that, along with a father-son evil team combo that plans to harness that world for the use of terrorism and evil through the so-called liberation of creatures from their owners.

Platformers - Sonic Generations:

For once, we're able to finally see the Hedgehog Engine pulled off perfectly: all using the daytime-style stages, with a sexy degree of rendering and shading--and for once, only HALF of it is in 2D! This finally alleviates all the problems created with Sonic 4-1's horrendous recreation of the classic games (which I LOVE), but adds a higher degree of intuitive controls via the one-button spindash and other than that, virtually treats the DualShock controller like a Genesis.

However, if there's anything I don't like, its the lack of stages, but since there will be DLC treats and mini-games, there should be more meat to go around other than missions that should've been extra acts or anything else to do after the game is beaten.

Fighters - BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II

BlazBlue, by far, was one of the most innovative and breathtaking fighting games I have ever seen in my life. This is the one fighting game by far in the entire world that I am probably pretty good at, and even then, I frequently use Noel due to her ease of access, quick KO's and easily executable Astral Heat. Also, the Story mode (or as I like to call it, the Visual Novel mode) is actually really good too: you don't expect fighting games to have that much of a story other than wanting to join a tournament, and being the best in the world (unless you're Bang Shishigami, then that's different).

And even then, I'm still waiting for EXTEND. XD

Edited by Madame Amano
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've thought about this for several hours, and my mind keeps coming back to the same game:

76158379.jpg

It had it all: Lovely hand-drawn sprites rather than clunky polygons. Lovingly crafted animated cutscenes rather than cheesy FMV or blocky in-game cutscenes. Hours of voice acting which, while not of the best quality today, is still enjoyable to just listen to and never comes anywhere near being outright bad. A decent-lengthed story featuring many mature themes with several complex and multi-faceted characters (including the spectacular return of the main villian from the original game, in all of his hammy-to-mask-his-insecurity glory). And finally, an enjoyable battle system that allows to actually be rewarded for your thought and effort rather than just punishing you for enjoying it.

The game was even one of the last of the few "old school" RPGs (until Nippon Ichi brought it back) in the sense that, while it allowed you the convenience to avoid enemy encounters (Most of the time. It was nicer about it than Chrono Trigger but you couldn't avoid all of them) and had no random encounters, the boss battles were absolutely vicous if you abused it. You attentiveness to your character's levels and skillsets were vital; and if you ran around all of the bad guys and avoided tending to your character stats, the game would fuck you up proper and Total Party Kill only 30 minutes into it.

Best of all, no anti-grinding! If you wanted to put the time and effort into learning the battle system and power leveling (and because of how much fun fights are, that isn't even a problem), the game would allow you. You could run around for an hour or two and power everyone up ten levels above the game's expectations, and then go tell those scary bosses to piss off. It was great.

And the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqHs4dYHqwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWpMG4TrZo

Finally, perhaps because it was the fourth time Working Designs had tried their hand at the series (and the second time they had worked on Eternal Blue), you can just feel that everyone involved had a fun time with it. The script is enjoyable, the VA's clearly had a fun time working with each other, the contents of the game case (like the hard bound instruction manual) show a clear labor of love... everything shows a game that Working Designs was truly dedicated to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I missed day I. But here is Day 2.

Day 2: Favourite Game.

There's only one choice for my favourite game, and it's a little obscure compared to some. But I think you'll know the main character as soon as I post the picture.

Oddworld-Abe-e1296590639932.jpg

Yes, it's Abe's Exoddus. It took what was an already good game and improved it to the point where there's little I can fault it for. It's challenging, but always completable. It has that 'one more go' vibe to it, and the quicksave feature means that making one little mistake won't mean having to restart the whole section again. Plus, look at the poor schlub. He needs your help!

The other thing of course that makes the game a treat is the audio and FMV cutscenes. It may be an old game, but it still impresses today with it's imagination and use of lighting techniques. (Key in stealthy games such as this.) With the Oddbox as cheap as it is, I suggest going out and getting it if you haven't already.

Edited by Gerku(snow)man
  • Thumbs Up 4

Favourite game?

Thats hard question. I've got lots of them so I'll name two:

Persona 3 Portable

This game is magical. I just cant describe it. I felt like I was there in the middle of action with characters. They felt so real. And it was only game that I played with feeling that I want to see what happens next but on other side I wanted this Adventure to never end. Its reallu hard to talk about thia game without spoilers and I dont want to ruin game for anyone so I'll just stop right here.

Sonic Adventure 2

Its probably because of nostalgia but I love this game. Story and gameplay were great. And music... Oh that music. Every song was just awsome. And I cried durning last cutscene. I was 4 years old and I cried.... Its such awsome game.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, second day, here goes. I found it kinda difficult to pick only one out of the number of games I've played as a favourite (my other two options for this was either Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Dragonball Z: Budokai 3), but I decided to go with this one.

Day #2 - Kami's Amazingly Awesome "Blows NinjaShark's out of the water" Most Favourite game to ever Favourite!

WLS1.png

I've always had a fondness for the Wario games (starting from when I played Wario Land 3 on the Gameboy Colour), and this game didn't disappoint me (unlike the previous game, Master of Disguise, which would be rather dull after 5 minutes). The story is like any other Wario game (Money first, Bad Guys later, very little beyond that) but does see the return of Wario's earliest rivals, Captain Syrup.

What I probably enjoy most about this game is both the artstyle and the gameplay. I enjoy the gameplay because the game offers a number of interesting gameplay mechanics (such as the shaking enemies, or the groundshake move) and builds some pretty cool puzzles around those concepts (though I was kinda disappointed by the lack of many of the status effects, which were pretty integral to the previous Wario games, and I did find the Subwarine levels to be a bit on the dull side. I also found the game's bosses to be pretty interesting, and even memorable, for both their battle tactics and their designs (such as Large Fry, or Chortlebot)

The artstyle I enjoy partly because of it's uniqueness. Not many games seem to make use of sprites nowadays, especially hand-drawn stuff, but this game achieves a really great cartoony effect from the amount of detail put in (like some of Wario's more comical animations, like being squashed by heavy things or landing after swinging from something). It really holds an interesting charm to it, that can even seem odd considering that it's coming from Wario :V

and I'll end this here, so that I don;t keep rambling on tongue.png

Edited by Kamicciolo

Favorite Video Game? I have way too many, but I suppose I'll just pick one and list some honorable mentions.

Tales of the Abyss

250px-Talesoftheabyss_us.jpg

When I first bought this game, I was introduced to the Tales series earlier on with Symphonia. While I loved Symphonia, Abyss was just more...fun. I'll break down each section.

Plot

The game does sort of go in a slow start at first, but it certainly picks up. It's hard to really discuss anything without spoiling, so I might add tags in this. The game starts you off as the main character Luke fon Fabre, who has been forced to stay in his manor due to being kidnapped by their opposing nation Malkuth. He suffers from amnesia and can't recall events past the moment he was rescued. As the game progresses you meet a plethora of other characters who make up your team. Apparently there is a war about to happen between Kimlasca, Luke's hometown, and Malkuth. I would put more but I would just spoil the whole story. It gets rather deep and takes a sudden twist in the middle.

Gameplay

toaj.jpg

Like most RPGs, you'll control whatever character and run around with solely them on screen. You can play up to four people, but that's only during the battles which I'll cover separately. You can choose which icon character to run around as by selecting them via menu screen (And having an item called the S Flag, which you find extremely early on). There are cities, towns, forests, and dungeons to run around in and in the fields you can see the various locations of which you can enter. Enemies appear as monsters/people and roam around, so you can see what you're going to battle.

While this is a RPG, there are sections with puzzles and...some form of platforming. In the puzzle solving, you'll have the ability to use Mieu, a small Cheagle creature that Luke meets near the beginning of the game. He can shoot out fireballs, shatter rocks, and float upwards as you progress through the game and are used to solve various puzzles. Control is extremely easy but certainly not the highlight of the game.

toa2.jpg

The menu system records your HP, TP, and everything else. Here is how you decide what your characters will learn as they level. Artes are your in-battle skills that you learn a la Poke'mon style level up. Some artes are only activated once you've used the previous skill a certain amount of times (usually 50). Equip and Item are self explanatory and Battle is really how you set up your character during fights. There are four categories in Battle; Strategy, FSC, AD skills, and C-Core. Strategy is deciding if you want your playing characters to be in the frontline or near the back, FSC is something learned later in which you get four different crystals called Chambers. They allow special abilities to your artes such as increasing HP on healing moves, lowering the amount of TP it takes on using an arte, adding stealing, and so forth. There are six sections for the chambers to grow as each time you use an arte with a chamber attached the percentage of the ability increases. AD skills are abilities the characters learn as they battle. Unlike artes, you don't necessarily learn these as you level. Near the character avatar on the menu screen is a circle graph. This is where the C-core comes in. Capacity Cores, as they are called, give extra boosts to your speed, attack, defense, magical attack and defense, and something called Enhancement. This is how you learn most of your AD skills. Cooking is another means of healing without staying at an Inn. It's a fun extra that's been in most Tales games. Status is basically an overview of your character's stats and title changing. Titles are another thing unique to Tales of games. In this one you can change character costumes via title change. You get most titles from sidequests or through the storyline. I absolutely love getting the titles in this game.

Battle System

tales-of-the-abyss-20060804042250856.jpg

What I love about the Tales series is the lack of turn based battle. I don't mind turn based, but having realtime fighting is much more fun for myself. You can attack and defend whenever you want. You have your HP gauge, TP or technical points/magic system, and then a green gauge at the bottom of your character life menu called the Overlimit gauge. During Overlimit, you are immune to stagger, have a greater defense and offense, and can use your ability 'Special', which you gain via levelling. Special allows your character to unleash a rather powerful ability unique to the character. I always enjoyed fighting in this game, especially if you have a friend or three with you to play as the other characters. Luke is your basic close-up combatant and uses no magical attacks, so I pretty much fight with him all the time. Another fun thing in this game's special battle mechanic is the FOF attacks. FOF, or field of fonons, will change your normal arte into a much more powerful version and sometimes add the element you use with it. There are Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, and Shadow FOFs (My brother and I tend to fight over them, but if you're quick you can get up to three people using just one field). These add variety to the battle and give you extra bonus points near the end of the fight.

Say Luke uses his arte, Guardian Field. When used in a Water or Shadow FOF (Light and Shadow are not their own respective elements, but instead control the other two; Light controlling fire and wind and Shadow controlling earth and water) his attack will become Guardian Frost and ice stalagmites will burst out from the ground and shatter, causing additional damage to your enemy. These can help immensely in Boss fights, especially if you're fighting on a harder difficulty.

toa3.jpg

After winning a battle, the winning screen has pretty much everything you're used to in a RPG but with something else called GRADE. These are points that are virtually invisible to the player until you've beaten the game. When you beat the game, you'll be brought to the GRADE shop, an extra little feature that allows you to buy back you artes, Gald, titles, cooking recipes, AD skills, items, capacity cores, and more (specifically my favorite, 10x EXP). This makes replayability extremely high in my book and you can increase your GRADE with the Bonus feature that you get depending on how you fought, what difficulty you're in, and so forth. GRADE is a feature that's been in most Tales games, but getting it in this game was always much easier. (Can't say too much for future Tales of, but Vesperia is rather easy as well).

Characters

tales_of_the_abyss_group.jpg

The six playable characters are quite different from one another. Luke is my favorite, but I enjoy all of the characters, even the side ones who make the story just as much as the main characters do. At first, Luke is a bratty and spoiled child who whines during the beginning of the story. I couldn't stand him at first, but he sort of had a change of heart due to certain things and became a much more likable character. Tear, the tank healer, is a bit cold-hearted and has a more mature setting, but she has a motherly side and a weakness to cute animals. Guy is possibly my second favorite, as he has a kind personality and has a fun little character quirk; gynophobia. They keep true to this during the game whenever a female approaches him. Jade is serious and sarcastic, Natalia has a heart of gold, and Anise....is probably my least favorite honestly. She's alright, but because of plot purposes there's reasons why she annoys me. My main team is usually Luke, Guy, Tear, and Jade as I have my two fighting characters (Guy's fighting style is much faster then Luke, but he's not as much a heavy hitter), Tear can heal, cast magic, and has some physical attacks, and Jade is a magical user with magical physicals.

toa4.jpg

Also unique to the Tales games are the 'skits'. Unfortunately, the English versions of most games don't have voice-overs, but if you're with a group of people who are into the game, they can be fun to voice act. Skits appear near the bottom left of the screen and can be activated whenever they appear. The characters appear as little face icons and, in some cases, even busts of themselves. They move, blink, and act according to how they feel. These actually bring a sense of character development and in some cases are even funny. Some can appear if you fight in a certain way, cook terribly or well, have a certain title equipped, or do something in the story. Sometimes they can appear in overabundance and that can be rather annoying, but for the most part I've managed to really enjoy them. It gives extra insight on how a character may react to another, what they may say--something that the story would normally not show.

Graphics

toa5.jpgtoa6.jpg

While not graphically amazing, I still loved this game. Some places looked pretty awesome (especially the new Tales games. Some of those backgrounds are beautiful), but they really aren't going for a massive graphical output. This game is extremely long, but I keep replaying it over and over again and I'm still very comfortable with the graphics. Some places, like Grand Chokmah, are still very pretty to look at.

All in all I really love this game. I could type forever, but I think I've spent waaay too long on this already. The level of replayability this game has is so high that it's always great going back again, especially with the GRADE shop. The sidequests are great and many, so it's never like you're stuck with doing the story. There are so many titles to get for each character, pretty great voice acting, wonderful characters, and interesting storyline. The battle system is fun and rather easy to get into. My explanation probably made it sound hard, but it really isn't. Once you get good at locking combo's in with your AD skills, learn the FOFs, and play around with all the different Capacity Cores, it really pays off in the battle. I got my younger brother into this game who is very much attached to Guy's character and the story makes him constantly curious.

Other games I love and came close second are Sonic 3 and Knuckles, LoZ: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia.

Edited by Briaaaah
  • Thumbs Up 4

Must be running out of time...and another difficult question. But I think I got one.

Favourite Game

Bonanza Brothers - Megadrive/Genesis

bonanzabrosflyer.jpg

The simple yet unique characters, the jazzy music and the simple gameplay all add up to something gold. It also has co-op play which I always enjoy, and has a comical feel to it.

It's like a side scolling shooter that isn't actually a shooter. Knocking out the security with plastic like bullets, squashing guards with doors and attempting to have a guard follow you, you zip by a door and try to squash him with it, only for it to backfire at the last minute and he opens the door on you.

This has to be the first game that made me laugh out loud, there has been lots of games since this one first came to pass, but BB still has the same charm and replayability it originally had, and I don't ming going back to it from time to time for classic laughs.

Robo and Mobo are coming to town! Nail down all your stuff!!

Oh man. Favorite video game? Well, it changes for me like every time almost, but the game that sits at the top is:

OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

Stole your pic, Nix :U

Anyways: God, this game is pretty much the closest thing to perfection. Every time I've played it, I've always found something new. I never knew that you could find Treasure Chests more easily at night and I never knew about the Bandit Spider bosses. The Story is a giant one and never seems to end, and full of twists and turns. Now, I've only played the Wii version, but it's still an amazing game on it. The Celestial Brush idea was pure genius on either console, as it allowed you to pretty much DRAW your attacks and abilities and they'd come to life. Oh, and the Water Tablet is fucking AWESOME! You walk on WATER! FUCKING A!

But yeah, Okami seems to be my favorite game right now, but it'll most likely change. It'll always be #2 unless it's #1.

I don't really have an all time favorite game. ;w; But I guess I'll pick one of my faves from PS3 if that count's

God-of-War-3-Review-2.jpg

Oh man this game, THIS GAME. :U Been a fan of God of War since I played Chains of Olympus on the Red Skinned Kratos PSP I got for my birthday years ago. And playing God of War 3 has been fun as hell. Controls are tight. Gameplay is fun, and there's plenty of things added to mix things up throughout it. From killing Gods and Titans to traveling and flying around Olympus and the Underworld to even Chaos itself. Camera is amazing too. Angles from fighting over Titans looked great. Points in the game let ya play in 2D, 2nd Person, and even 1st Person near the end. Story is......eh ok. Mainly due to the ending. :r But all I can say is, if you own a PS3, and a fan of Greek Mythology. GET. THIS. GAME.

I'll be taking over day transferring duties at certain occasions due to Dissident's prior engagements (aka school). So without further ado, let's go.

It's time to get your popcorn ready ladies and gents because unfortunately 30 Days of Video Games will encompass positive as well as negative moments. We trust you members are level headed enough to stay as unbiased as possible and that we don't argue too much here.

Keep your arguments as civil as possible and respect each other's opinions, but at the same time try to present your points thoroughly and without instigating bad blood. Remember, the global rules will always apply to all threads, including this one, and elitist hating and berating is discouraged just as much as fervent fanboyism. This is going to be exciting and hell we do fear what may transpire. But don't forget that this is all in good fun.

Without further ado, let's move on to;

Day 3 - Your Least Favorite Video Game or Video Game Series

Most hated? urgh...

Their isn't really any series I genuinely hate, but as for games:

Doaxbvbox.jpg

250px-DOAX2.jpg

Good god. DoA Extreme games.

DoA is a legitimately good fighting game series (KEYWORDS: FIGHTING GAME SERIES), but then, Tecmo decided to take advantage of the graphical capabilities, and make the ENTIRE GAME about T&A. Don't get me wrong, I know that was pretty much the selling point of the series in the first place, but come on:

Seriously?

If you're going to make a fanservice game, at least make it worth playing.

Edited by Solkia :U
  • Thumbs Up 2

inb4 Sonic 06, Call of Duty, etc.

As for me, I'm going to have to do a lot thinking... I can't just choose something inherently terrible...

I'll go with a good game that ticks me off.

250px-Donkey_Kong_Jungle_Beat_Coverart.jpg

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is not a bad game.

However, at a time when Donkey Kong Country's future looked bleak, this came out. The developers said characters like Diddy Kong, K. Rool, and the rest of the Country cast weren't fresh enough. Donkey Kong himself didn't act like Donkey Kong at all. The gameplay was so radically different from what we were used to.

Was this Donkey Kong's future? It wasn't until 2010's Donkey Kong Country Returns that us DKC fans were relieved of our worries.

In short, it was the mere philosophy behind this game that always leaves me with negative thoughts regarding it.

Edited by XD375
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hate it when my phone messes up, there was originally supposed to be a post for yesterday

Oh well. These are the games I hate

250px-Sonic_Labyrinth_Coverart.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

51s%2BYmgi3TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Crap music (shudders)

I hate it when my phone messes up, there was originally supposed to be a post for yesterday

Oh well. These are the games I hate

250px-Sonic_Labyrinth_Coverart.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

51s%2BYmgi3TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Crap music (shudders)

If you want this to count you can't just list things and being flimsy like this. Elaborate, explain.

3: Least favourite? (yay, I'm on a roll)

Normally I'd say Sonic 06, for it's incomparable disappointments, but I can't really hate it since it gave Sega the kick in the butt they needed to turn Sonic around. And it spawned Pokecapn's hilarious Let's Play series.

No, Instead I'll look at the dark and festering counterpart to my favourite game.

20689_1306824587.jpg

This game butchered Turrican, systematically highlighting everything that made the series great and ruining them one by one. The vast open levels rewarding exploration? Gone, replaced with narrow halways and fixed scrolling. The button-mashingly awesome gameplay with tons of different ways to play? Removed and filled with dull damage-sponge baddies that you're forced to switch weapons constantly to deal with. The fantastic soundtrack? Drowned out by a tedious and boring collection of spacey themes with nowhere near the imagination of bygone days.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, the game doesn't even try to be a Turrican platformer. Every third level or so is a gameplay genre change to take advantage of oh-so-pretty Mode 7 graphics that have aged hideously compared to the timeless platforming of the original Turrican.

It's so painfully obvious that the developers of this game never even played Manfred Trenz's masterpieces, because they ignore every single good thing about Turrican and with this game kill the franchise forever.

(This is the fifth game in the series, incidentally. Don't let the 2 fool you.)

(Sixth if you count Manfred Trenz's excellent NES version that was only released in Europe)

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Sonic Chronicles!

It's not actually THAT bad, in terms of the gameplay the battles can be okay, except when they are arbitrartily not, doesn't always add up. But, I just can't bring myself to finish this game, or even get further than that ice puzzle with the switches where I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I couldn't bring myself to finish Pikmin either, but that just turned out to be something I didn't like rather than being truly horrible, it was something original at least. Other games that I dislike such as CoD are more to do with their impact on gaming generally rather than because I actually dislike the games, as while I've barely played them, I can see why some people like them, but again, it's not my thing and I couldn't justify writing about it. And while 06 is horrible and I haven't finished it, that's only because I don't own it. I just plain hate this fucking game. Maybe it gets better, but I didn't have the patience to sit this one through, so I may be inaccurate on some counts.

But this... what happened? It tries to reference everything but gets it all wrong and it amounts to "Remember being in Green Hill Zone? Good times!" The dialogue choices seemed kind of pointless as it wouldn't really change anything - being a dick would only get "Sonic that's no good" but then everything would continue as normal, and being good would be all "I will help you" and the same thing happens. The areas look bland as hell and just aren't very interesting. Sometimes it will also just block you off from previous areas without rhyme or reason and not give you an opportunity to know beforehand off the top of my head.

Worse still, the plot reads like a fanfic or something. I don't know why it bugs me so that everyone's a little off character, but it's like it's a fanfic writer's wet dream or something, and I never even GOT to Shade. The art style is weird (but not as bad as 06's mind you) but the ingame graphics are really mediocre, even by DS standards. I'd say the Rush games looked MUCH better than this, and lots of people hate the art style for those, for some reason. The control is shit as well simply because you can't use the control pad to move and have to use the stylus... what the hell?

And not quite finally... the one thing almost every Sonic game gets right... the music. Again, what happened? Why does it sound so cheap? Why does it sound so screechy? Why does Green Hill sound nothing like Green Hill? Why are there so many remixes if you're not gonna do justice to them? It sounds worse than Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on the GBA which used almost entirely 8-bitish sound, as that game at least had some foreboding and bleak sounds which contrast and actually add to the sound sometimes, with great composition. This just sounds like keyboard mashing or something. I just don't know. I can't stand hearing this music, and I can barely play a game if I don't like the soundtrack - I'd prefer no or merely incidental music such as in Shadow Complex (genius game btw) to this.

The worst thing of all was the fact it was hyped up for much for being a Sonic RPG and "Oh it's BIOWARE". Then, we get some new handheld division which seemed to be absolute shit, and the gameplay turned out to be aggressively average while everything else was plain bad. What's the point of hyping Bioware up if it isn't even the main team behind it (haven't played another Bioware game mind you).

It just could have been so much better, especially if it actually felt like it was related to the games and not some weird fanfic spin off. Perhaps it's better that way. It's not that bad, but it just annoyed me in so many ways. At least 06 contributed Crisis City (and to Generations which is even better) and had some beautiful music. This doesn't even have music, and for bad Sonic games, that's normally the saving grace.

It's not like a Sonic RPG is a bad idea, I just can't stand Chronicles. Maybe my opinions on it aren't completely justified, but meh. If you like it great, if you don't, then you probably feel similarly to me. I feel really bad about it because a friend bought it me, hoping I'd like it, and I really tried to get into it, must have played a fair few hours, but alas.

Okay well technically Metroid: Other M offended me more, but I enjoyed the gameplay to some extent, felt that it translated some of the old 2D stuff into 3D quite well. Mostly. That had so many bad design choices, but at least it wasn't broken or a mess. I've beaten it a few times and would still definitely play it again.

Edited by Semi-colon e

20081124202214!Call_of_Duty_logo.PNG

I hate FPS as a whole but CoD takes the least favourite game series. My brother only ever plays CoD and will not play anything else, I can never find this game good and it always feels the same game to me. It makes it feel uninspired and boring. So I move from a 'Hardcore' game to this:

just_dance_logo.jpg

(and Zumba fitness)

These make people feel like they're gamers, just because they're playing a game. This gets to the top of the gaming charts making people think they're more like gamers. The games are on the Wii so they get away with just making endless sequels that could be DLC. These are also boring to me like CoD.

Day 3 - Your Least Favorite Video Game

Metroid other M

I am not very good at criticizing games so I will go right to the point.

Predictably shoddy gameplay, repeatedly boring cutscenes and Samus' character being handled as poorly as possible.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 2

I haven't played a lot of bad games but, I remember one NES game I will not look back on fondly.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Fuck this game. Fuck it so hard. I was a massive TMNT fan even at young age, and I could somehow tell this was an insult even at the tender age of 3. Perhaps it was due to the ridiculous difficulty, especially the Dam level. Onslaught of respawning enemies and awful platforming made me one sad little boy. There was literally no reason to play as anyone but Donatello because, every other turtle had terrible range. Not that Donatello really helped much but, he did break certain parts of the game due to that ridiculous range of his bo. I have never beaten this game, nor do I care to. Even if it wasn't so ridiculously hard, it would be bland. Thankfully, the Arcade game was later ported to the NES, and despite its simplicity, was much more fun than this garbage.

(I'm not terribly good at criticism.)

Edited by Hero Of Fate