Awoo.

Best and Worst Sonic game in your opinion

AlphaRuby

Why not go the extra mile here.

Favorite from the Modern: Sonic Colors

It's pretty much what I've wanted from a modern Sonic game for the longest time. It was fun, had a nice mix of old and new elements, I found the wisp power-ups to be enjoyable, and for the first time actually liked all of the characters in a Sonic game. That hasn't happened to me since S3&K, and when else will you see Tails get the better of Sonic. Though this all pales in compairison to it's greatest accomplishment, Eggman. He was both humorus and an effective bad guy again, in Colors he graduated from taking over islands to taking over entire worlds and imprisoning the local fauna. I love this game and I'm not afraid to say it.

Favorite from the Classic Era: Sonic CD

This is my absolute favorite of the classic games. It's like an entirely different game from the Megadrive games, while at the same time being similar to them. The main reason I love this game is because I was GOD! I could shape this little planet however I saw fit, I could bring forth salvation by getting the Time Stones, or sentence it to damnation and let Eggman have his way with it. Joking aside I did like how you could influence the outcome of the planet, as well as the two soundtracks that CD has. Though I'd say it's biggest accomplishment was showing what was at stake, meaning all of the bad futures. Never before had I wondered what would happen if Eggman had won and taken over.

Worst from the Modern Era: Sonic 06

I'll keep it short. Buggy, bad characters, lot's of forgetable music, creepy puppet like animation, death of Sonic, LONG ASS LOADING TIMES, alternate gameplay, and freaky pregnant humanoid Eggman makes me a very miserable Spider.

Worst from the Classic Era: Sonic R

Even from the classic era there were many games I didn't like, but Sonic R takes the absolute shit cake here. This was a really bad experience for me. I hate this game, from the poor levels, to the clunky controls, to that fucking awful awful soundrack. Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom where right about this when saying playing though this was like a flick to the balls.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope, there is a big difference in speed between them, Colors being the slowest of the trilogy and one with the smallest boost gauge. IT'S NO USE! trying to discuss this further, nobody will change their points of view here so I'll just say I'm happy SEGA made SG just the way I like a Sonic game to be to make up for the disappointment Colors was to me.

No-one's really arguing with your opinion of the game, but the Wii's capabilities have nothing to do with it. The slowed down gameplay was a clear, deliberate design choice in response to everyone b'awwing over Unleashed being too fast, and the fact that they aimed the game at a younger demographic - granted that could partially be blamed on the Wii, since they've outright stated before they know most older fans who owned SEGA consoles as kids tended to move on to 360s and PS3s more than Wiis after the Dreamcast faded away.

No-one's really arguing with your opinion of the game, but the Wii's capabilities have nothing to do with it. The slowed down gameplay was a clear, deliberate design choice in response to everyone b'awwing over Unleashed being too fast, and the fact that they aimed the game at a younger demographic - granted that could partially be blamed on the Wii, since they've outright stated before they know most older fans who owned SEGA consoles as kids tended to move on to 360s and PS3s more than Wiis after the Dreamcast faded away.

To be honest I never knew people complained about Sonic being "way too fast", isn't that what Sonic's supposed to be like anyway?! Wow...and if you ask me he was pretty controllable in Unleashed, you just needed to memorize the paths, like with most Sonic games.

Sonic isn't a fast paced, memorization, trial and error series, its a fast paced, platforming series. Sonic Unleashed just forgot the platforming part and just focused on the speed (the daytime sections at least).

Edited by Sonimas032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best: Sonic CD or Shadow the Hedgehog Shadow is my bishie

Worst: Sonic Labirynth hands down. But I haven't as spectaculary rage quitted (before or since) as I have playing SA2B, I was literally swearing at the screen so that gets an honourable mention.

Edited by iVYWREATH
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic isn't a fast paced, memorization, trial and error series, its a fast paced, platforming series. Sonic Unleashed just forgot the platforming part and just focused on the speed (the daytime sections at least).

Though I still enjoyed Sonic Unleashed for what it was, yep. Sonic has always been a fast-paced platformer, and Unleashed (the day half) kind of forgot about that. Generations does it far better though, by integrating platforming along with high-speed sections.

But that's a debate for another topic.

Edited by SilverTheHedgehog

Which is the reason I said SG is my favorite. Even if Unleashed did forget about platforming sometimes, I still like it far more than Colors.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Favorite games fall around S3&K Sonic CD and Sonic Generations with S3&K beating them by a few hairs or so. I'm still waiting for a consistent games as big as S3&K and nothing as of yet has really delivered anything bigger than its 25 huge levels, several bosses, and consistent storyflow that told a lot with now words. Honestly if you can't tell a story without the aid of words then you're doing something wrong. Still counting the finished product of Sonic 4...who am I kidding?

Sonic Colors gets an honorable mention

Worst game is 06 beating others by a wide margin. Werehog gets a dishonorable mention.

Best 2D Sonic Game for Home Console:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

• Just read my wall of text here:

Best 2D Sonic Game for Portable Consoles:

Sonic Advance 3

• Super Speedy crossover of Sonic Advance 2 styled gameplay with S3&K styled platforming & hidden areas.

• Acceleration increases when gaining more rings.

• Team based gameplay

• Adding voices in the game (I thought it was cool when I first played it)

• Jammin' video game styled music!

• CHAOS ANGEL ZONE

• Gemel

Best 3D Sonic Game:

Sonic Generations:

• Unleashed Day Styled Gameplay

• Sheer amount of References to past & current Sonic titles/Nostalgia re-vamped.

• Classic & Modern styled gameplay & characters!

• Voice acters have improved since Sonic Free Riders.

• Beautiful graphics & sick remixes of past levels.

Runner ups:

Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Colours, & (if counts in the Sonic FRANCHISE) Shadow The Hedgehog.

Worst 2D Game:

Sonic Labyrinth:

• Slow

• Bad genre switch

• Forgettable (that's probably a Good thing though)

Worst 3D Game:

Sonic '06:

• just to point out, I don't HATE the game (I had rarely found any glitches that are assumed to be infested in the game), I just find it dull, & it gave my 360 the RROD.

The Best 3D Game: Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)

The Worst 3D Game: Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)

The Best 2D Game: Sonic Colours (Wii)

The Worst 2D Game: Sonic 4: Episode 1 (Xbox 360)

The games that I think were the best were probably Generations, Sonic Adventure 2, and I LOVED Colors. I liked a lot of the classic games as well, but Sonic the Fighters I didn't really like. And I've heard so much negativity about STH 06 that I won't even bother playing it, and Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty bad but still hilarious.

The best Sonic game: The Genesis trilogy, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 2006 (sorry, haters), Sonic Rush Adventure and Sonic Generations.

The worst Sonic game: Don't hate it or anything, but Sonic Labyrinth is probably the poorest game in the series.

Ah, okay, I gotcha. Though I still think that Colours<Unleashed HD.

Yeah, I was talking about the HD version all along, Wii/PS2 versions aren't the real Unleashed.

I love the fact that there are posters claiming Sonic 06 as one of, or the, best game of the series, yet it's a criticism of Sonic Colors that gets agitation going.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't decide which is my favorite, but the worst would be between Heroes and Advance 3. Between which, I'd have to go with Sadv3. I enjoyed the first two levels of Heroes, while Advance 3's level design was annoying from the start.

Memorization is actually a huge part of the original Sonic games. Memorize the stages so you can improve your time and get a higher score.

But on topic, the best Sonic game IMO is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and the worst is Sonic Labyrinth. A Sonic game where the gimmick is SLOW SHOES!?

Edited by Dreamcast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Best 2D: Sonic 3&K

Best 3D: Tie between Sonic Generations and Sonic Adventure 2

Best Spinoff: Tie between Knuckles' Chaotix, Shadow the Hedgehog Sonic Riders

Best Overall: S3&K

Worst 3D: Sonic Unleashed

Worst 2D: Sonic 4

Worst Spinoff: Sonic Labyrinth

Worst Overall: Sonic Labyrinth

Edited by Zinos Kringle

I love the fact that there are posters claiming Sonic 06 as one of, or the, best game of the series, yet it's a criticism of Sonic Colors that gets agitation going.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 06 is the worst, even when it "works" it's clunky, twitchy and extremely forced. It's fun to break it though. Literally.

The best one is Colors. You can play it slowly and explore with the wisps, or just gotta go fast. Wonderfully designed game.

Im afraid im going to have to sail on the mainstream here and say that S3&K is the best and Labyrinth is the worst. Second best is S2 on the Mega Drive and second worst is S2 on the Game Gear. Though naturally, i must also give Sonic 06 a dishonorable mention.

Im also going to include a new category for the thread and state what i can sider the most underrated game; Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine! Honestly, it's by far my most favorite non-platform game in the series. And yeah sure, i know the game is actually some other game with Robotnik's mug painted all over it but even so.

Shadow the Hedgehog isn't a spin off, it's a main series title blink.png

If so, it's the only Sonic the Hedgehog main series title where you never play as Sonic the Hedgehog.

(Okay, unless you have a second controller and use it on the Sonic missions)

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow the Hedgehog isn't a spin off, it's a main series title blink.png

It's a spin-off in which the story is canon. So it's kinda both.

• Thumbs Up 1