Awoo.

[3DS] Rhythm Thief - Sega's Latest Rhythm game

Autosaver

I haven't played a lot of rhythm games, but the demo was absolutely fantastic and fun as all get out. Shun Nakamura, if this level of fun and quality is indicative of the full game, I can forgive you for Sonic '06.

Amazing what directors can do when they're not shackled to Sonic! ;D

It's a total shame this game was left for dead by marketing, it’s not even that niche, it has great character designs and cool music, whilst the golden age of the Rhythm Game is over it didn’t need to be sent to die like it was.

I didn't even know it was released until I read the thread here to be honest, and I like to think I keep an eye out on most new releases. Tsk tsk Nintendo/SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, there is something seriously wrong with the fact that this game completely and utterly escaped my notice until just now. I mean this game has all the stuff I love. Rhythm gameplay? Check. An ordinary guy leading life a double life...as a THIEF!? Double check. An appealing art style? Check. Just the right amount of weirdness? Check. They could have just called this Speederino the Game from what I just saw in the demo. (And hey, at least there IS a demo. I'll give that much to the marketing department)

Within fifteen minutes this game has just moved towards the top of my "must get" list. I just hope this isn't one of those situations where the obscure cult-classic ends up being hard to find in stores. It's still pretty new, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

SEGA didn't do the best job promoting this game, which is why you probably haven't heard of it until now.

Shame really. Imagine how many more people would buy this gem if SEGA bothered to promote it. AT LEAST they partnered with these guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

There was an NPD thread on neogaf a few weeks ago and someone who had access to the numbers said the game sold like 8000 copies. That doesn't sound very good.

There was an NPD thread on neogaf a few weeks ago and someone who had access to the numbers said the game sold like 8000 copies. That doesn't sound very good.

If that's true, then that just plain sucks. And it's an absolute failure on behalf of SEGA's marketing department. The good thing is that I think this game is pretty much bound to become a cult favorite along the likes of Elite Beat Agents or Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Hopefully word of mouth can spread from there and in a couple years time the game starts selling more.

I mean it worked for Psychonauts.

Edited by Speederino

I've bought a copy since then, last weekend in fact. But the thing is, this site is practically the only place I've heard anything about it. (Although it did rather slip my mind thanks to the gap between the European release and the American one.) Even though it does have a demo available, if you (like me) are someone who doesn't check into the eShop all that often, you'll never find out about that either. The last two SEGA games I've bought - this and Crush 3D - I found more by accident than intent. And they wonder why they can't sell games when no one ever hears about them?

Try this game out folks, and buy one if you like it. If you like the rhythm-type games, this one is good.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it seriously only sold like 8000 copies, then when my paycheck comes in I'm getting a copy. That's just a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering there are 50+ songs in the game, you can bet that the game isn't "free."

Basically, you'll end up spending a ton of money buying songs and other various unlocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are people losing their shit? RT released well before this, so theres that lovely period of time when it was an exclusive for Nintendo people. iOS will not have the 3D, it won't have the dual screens and it'll require a finger rather than the stylus. Not to mention, the 3DS has all the content there from the get-go. Nothing additional to pay for.

iOS is free, sure, but it'll have bonus pay content which will surely add up to an equatable price. And even if the iOS version costs less, it'll lack all the stuff I noted.

I would have thought fans of the game would be happy to see more ppl playing it.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'll just wait until we know how much you have to pay until the game is complete and rage then tongue.png

Edited by Thigolf

I just misread the thread title as "Sega's Last Rhythm game."

How unfortunately appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 3

What's sad is I read that in Japan, the game sold about 60-80k, which is VERY good for Japan numbers. Not only that, but it's being re-released on the 3DS with one of those Vintage covers (The cover within a cover) and a reduced price due to the fact the game sold well.

What's sad is I read that in Japan, the game sold about 60-80k, which is VERY good for Japan numbers. Not only that, but it's being re-released on the 3DS with one of those Vintage covers (The cover within a cover) and a reduced price due to the fact the game sold well.

Well that's good to hear. It'd be a shame if such an interesting game didn't attract any fans.

As I explained in another topic, I'm terrible at the rhythm angle but really enjoyed the story, which is the only reason I bought a copy. Still... the fact that iOS is getting it for free does make me regret having bought a copy for the sake of trying to support it. Clearly it can't have been doing that badly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this is a pretty good move, putting the game on the iOS (and for free for that matter) will probably help to get the word out about this game, increase the popularity, and other stuff like that, and I highly doubt that the port will have anything more than the first few mini games for free (probably something along the lines of the demo on the 3DS, with just the first 3 or 4 rhythm games playable, or even the just the first chapter, though probably with a few modification).

Yeah, I have an iPhone and I'll get the port of this, but only the free part. Sod paying extra when I can get the 3DS version.

I'm just happy to hear more people will be playing this, screw console exclusivity.

Glad to hear that, it's nice to know the game wasn't a commercial flop.

As I explained in another topic, I'm terrible at the rhythm angle but really enjoyed the story, which is the only reason I bought a copy. Still... the fact that iOS is getting it for free does make me regret having bought a copy for the sake of trying to support it. Clearly it can't have been doing that badly.

Edited by -Mark-

I should probably finish this game up soon...I haven't played in months. I do like he story, but honestly thats the only thing thats keeping me invested at the point in the game where I am. The rehashing of minigames halfway through, the pointless overworld and puzzle elements ranging from IQ lowering to almost unsolvable without a guide, it just gets boring.

Also the complete soundtrack on Itunes is 30 DOLLARS. What a ripoff!! Well, at least its memorable...like I love that one song where...

I got nothing.

I stopped doing the optional rhythm games when I got to the second one with the maracas. I literally couldn't follow everything that was happening on-screen. Fortunately I also only cared about the story and playing it this way made the whole thing go so much faster... apart from having to spend five minutes tapping every inch of every screen looking for hidden items. Apparently you actually have to play the game twice to get all the sound discs? Yeah no.

I agree with you about the puzzles, too. They were either so easy that they shouldn't even have been in the game, or required you to have an incredibly fine ear for pitch. I had to trial-and-error my way through those ones.

• 6 months later...