Awoo.

[3DS] Rhythm Thief - Sega's Latest Rhythm game

Autosaver

Either you're doing a pretty bad job at this April Fools stuff or you're severely misinterpreting that entire announcement. They're not cancelling upcoming, announced games, they're merely reshaping their future market and are prepping to focus more on digital releases and popular IPs.

Edited by Autosaver

They did? Oh, never mind then. Sorry, I didn't know they had already said that. thanks for clearing up the confusion Crow, I appreciate it!

Edit: Would you mind linking me to where that was said? I would like to post it at other places since others are afraid of it not coming over. Thanks in advance. smile.png

Edited by Autosaver

>Has to wait 3 months before I can get my hands on this

Sega, why you so meeeeeean D:

• Thumbs Up 5

Hey, the Launch Trailer is up.

*Video*

Can't wait to collect my pre-order for this on Thursday. So glad I'm not scheduled to work for the day.

Can't wait to collect my pre-order for this on Thursday. So glad I'm not scheduled to work for the day.

I'm crying a little inside because Americans have to weight for June.

see what i did there it's a fat joke because america ahahaha

i am not fat

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, did Europe get any advertisements? Kind of doubt it. SEGA has never had good advertising ever.

Well, did Europe get any advertisements? Kind of doubt it. SEGA has never had good advertising ever.

Nintendo is taking care of the advertising in Europe.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=172404

Not saying that Nintendo does a good job with marketing outside their big franchises (Mario, Zelda, etc).

Nintendo does all right in the United States. I know they were responsible for Resident Evil advertising.

No Rhythm Thief for me. Went to HMV to collect my pre-order, but they haven't received stock from the supplier. No other stores are selling it either. Gutted because it's my day off today sad.png

No Rhythm Thief for me. Went to HMV to collect my pre-order, but they haven't received stock from the supplier. No other stores are selling it either. Gutted because it's my day off today sad.png

I was wondering... Is this kinda like Okamiden? If I recall, it ended up being mainly online only, hardly any stores, if any, had copies in stock :/

ShopTo have some copies though, if you're still looking... £30 and in stock now

I was wondering... Is this kinda like Okamiden? If I recall, it ended up being mainly online only, hardly any stores, if any, had copies in stock :/

ShopTo have some copies though, if you're still looking... £30 and in stock now

It seems to be worse than the situation with Okamiden. HMV stocked a couple of copies of Okamiden in store, while no retailers seem to be stocking Rhythm Thief in store at all apart from Grainger Games, if you live near their stores. My nearest Grainger Games is about 58 miles away >_< After HMV, I tried Currys, Argos, ASDA and Toys R Us, but no luck. Only other place I could have tried in my shopping centre was Sainsbury's, but I doubt they're stocking it if those other stores aren't. GAME and Gamestation obviously aren't stocking it, because they won't have new game stock for another week or 2 anyway.

Online it's a lot worse than Okamiden's launch. Most retailers stocked Okamiden, while not many are stocking Rhythm Thief.

In stock

Argos: £23.99 In stock (Order won't move to payment when I try)

Zavvi: £29.85 In Stock

TheHut: £29.85 In Stock

ShopTo: £29.86 In Stock

Grainger Games: £29.99 In Stock

SendIt: £28.89 + £1.99 P&P In Stock

GameSeek: £32.97 In Stock

Amazon: £32.99 In Stock

Very.co.uk: £39.00 In Stock

Woolworths: £39.00 In Stock

Littlewoods: £51.00 - £2.55 per week

Not in stock

GameStop: £34.97 Not Available

HMV: £34.99 Out of stock

CoolShop: Not in stock

DVD.co.uk: £32.19 Awaiting stock from supplier

Base.com: £32.19 Awaiting stock from supplier

101cd.com: £32.19 Awaiting stock from supplier

BlahDVD.com: £32.19 Awaiting stock from supplier

365Games.co.uk: £31.99 Pre-order

Play.com: £32.99 Pre-order

Blockbuster: Not listed

Tesco: Not listed

ASDA: Not listed

Sainsbury's: Not listed

Bee.com: Not listed

Toys R Us: Not listed

Comet: Not listed

Currys: Not listed

PC World: Not listed

Dixons: Not listed

Propel Gamer: Not listed

Game Gears: Not listed

SimplyGames.com: Not listed

So, I think I'm on chapter eight, if I remember correctly?

I'm definitely liking this game so far. Not loving, but liking.

The game's biggest flaw by far is that more often than not, the instructions it gives you are far too vague. Be it for some of the more fiddly or fast-paced rhythm games later on or some of the sound-based puzzles, I've found far too often that I get hopelessly stuck on something and fail miserably and repeatedly at it because the game didn't give me clear enough instructions on how to play it well. Thankfully there's the guide option, but whilst that's useful in some cases, in others the game is moving so quickly that it's useless. Sometimes the visual cues and instructions in general are really vague, and you spend ages failing over and over before you gradually learn from your mistakes enough to succeed. It's decidedly hardcore 'die and retry' gameplay, but kinda for the wrong reasons.

Also, it feels like the majority of the non-rhythm elements are little more than padding to spread the game out. It's little more than moving around a map, poking randomly at the screen, talking to people and recording sounds, with the odd puzzle thrown in. It's basically a rhythm-action Layton clone with more style and context.

Insane, random difficulty curve and somewhat pointless padding aside, it's a pretty enjoyable game for the most part. The story feels a little shallow and uninvolving, but then that's not really the main reason to play the game. The dubbing is bad for the most part (especially Raphael as a child, shudder), but eh.

Maybe I'm getting an extra layer of enjoyment out of it due to how my brother and I are completely destroying the game with in-jokes and parodies. I'd be surprised if I don't make at least some kind of mini-comic or something about it at some stage. There's so much in this game you can make fun of. laugh.png

EDIT: Oh, and the Samba de Amigo reference/ 'cameos' made me grin so damn much, I totally forgot about them until I ran into them. Love how it uses the exact same dance moves from the proper game, too. And made me remember and wish that the Wii version used MotionPlus. D:

Edited by -Mark-

So I was flipping around youtube and found this, the first 50 minutes of this gorgeous game. I'm only about 5 minutes in myself yet Raphael is already one of my favorite Sega Characters

Obvious Spoiler Warning, watch if you dare

I must be mad. HMV called me earlier and asked if I still wanted Rhythm Thief, because they've got a copy in now. I've asked them to hold on to it until Monday for me, because I was working today, it's Easter Sunday tomorrow and I've got a day off on Monday. Going to trade in the Argos copy (if it ever comes). Got it cheap, so I might make some money back.

So, I finished the game earlier, and (unless I'm missing something), a sequel is almost definite.

(Mostly because the ending didn't resolve the main plot at all and practically ended on a cliffhanger hinting at greater things to come.)

I could be wrong since there are three bonus mini-chapters I haven't unlocked yet, but from what the post-game teased, they're small sidestories, so it seems doubtful there's any 'true ending' I've yet to unlock.

But yeah, pretty much everything I said before still stands; It's a good game with a few nasty flaws that can't really be overlooked, most notably the rather random, cruel and sometimes outright unfair difficulty spikes that are usually for the wrong reasons.

I did notice that the localisation seems a little slapdash in places, though; as I said in the status updates earlier, at one stage they call Rapheal by his Japanese name (Ralph), and it's never suggested or implied that this is any kind of nickname for him in the English dialogue, so I can only assume it's something that got overlooked in translation QC. Similarly at times the subtitles won't match what's being spoken; usually they'll basically mean the same thing but be worded differently (usually English being spoken whereas the text uses French terms).

Also, does anyone think that civilian Raphael looks like Harry Potter? laugh.png

Edited by -Mark-

Bloody hell, that's pricey. blink.png I forgot HMV usually charge full RRP for things.

Bloody hell, that's pricey. blink.png I forgot HMV usually charge full RRP for things.

Yeah. I imagine GAME and Gamestation would be the same if they were stocking it. Hopefully I'll make some of it back trading in my Argos copy when it eventually arrives. I've almost got enough Pure HMV points for a £20 voucher, too.

I'm grateful that they still called me to tell me the copy I ordered had come in on Saturday despite me cancelling my order and getting my deposit refunded on Thursday when they didn't get it in, though. Was quite surprised they got it in when they did after they said on Thursday that they don't have any idea when they'll be having it in.

Aaron Webber (SEGA of America staff) posted this

Thanks Kuronoa - support this thread completely!

If you live in the US, you can also do a lot to support the game by pre-ordering at places like Gamestop and Amazon. Spreading the word, getting the activity started, and letting people know how great the game is will all go a long way.

On the SEGA side, we'll be doing our fair share to promote the title too, and to arm you guys with things you can share / spread, even with the recent news. Let's all work together and show the folks here that titles like this can succeed - if not surpass expectations!

Looks like it is 100% safe for America and it seems like they will be marketing it even though SEGA has had some budget reductions.

SEGAbits also wrote about it

rhythmthief-600x367.jpg

One of the first things I did when I got to PAX was ask a SEGA rep “off the record” if Anarchy Reigns and Rhythm Thief were canned. The reply I essentially got was “we don’t know yet”. Because I asked off the record, and I want that to mean something in the future, I decided to wait until I asked in an actual interview to report it. Then, the next day, Joystiq reported that Rhythm Thief was still coming, as told to them by a SEGA rep. Finally, on Sunday, I asked Kellie Parker the same question, and got the same answer as before: they don’t know.

Who was this SEGA rep who did know? I still have no idea, but Joystiq definitely wasn’t bullshitting: it has now been confirmed by Aaron Webber on the SEGA forums:

As you may have already heard via news from PAX, the game has not been cancelled for the US and yes, it is coming out here.

So…there you have it! It’s coming! Be happy! Buy it! I hear it’s totally awesome, and if you guys really want SEGA to have insentive to keep making games like this in some capacity, you’ve got to vote with your wallet!

Edited by Autosaver

Yeah. I imagine GAME and Gamestation would be the same if they were stocking it. Hopefully I'll make some of it back trading in my Argos copy when it eventually arrives. I've almost got enough Pure HMV points for a £20 voucher, too.

I'm grateful that they still called me to tell me the copy I ordered had come in on Saturday despite me cancelling my order and getting my deposit refunded on Thursday when they didn't get it in, though. Was quite surprised they got it in when they did after they said on Thursday that they don't have any idea when they'll be having it in.

£20 HMV voucher or a game for £17 cheaper in Argos...

I think you made the wrong decision there, if you're always gonna shop at HMV to get points.