Awoo.

The SSMB School/University Thread; Also a Homework Help Topic

-Robin-

Currently juggling helping people with their essays; my partner is waiting on me for the statistical analysis for the bushcricket experiments since he was absent on occasion due to family circumstances, and I've been asked to proof-read a couple of business essays for a flatmate. The latter sounds pretty lax, but bear in mind that she's a French student getting to grasps with English.

Currently constructing an outline for my final paper for the semester. I have to define what "History is," and if the source material I've read throughout the course matches, contradicts, or outright argues the definition given to me (namely, whether or not compiling factual from sources can, alone, constitute "history").

I have six sources of material to take from for the paper:

1) A book that details how human actual historians can be when writing historical texts. Practically sells itself for this paper topic.

2) A book that details the history leading up to the construction and use of the Brooklyn Bridge.

3) A book that chronicles the struggles of adolescent women during the 20th century.

4) A book that substantiates the use of magazine ads and pictures to mold a person's mind on the awesomeness of space during the 50s and 60s.

5) An autobiography of sorts of Robert McNamara, a political adviser during the Vietnam War era.

6) Multiple articles from the Journal of American History made by various authors over the cultural impact Hurricane Katrina left on New Orleans.

All six sources cover a particular topic and have their own unique style on how to present history. I'm feeling confident about this one. Going to try and get the outline, and possible 300-600 words done tonight, get up to 2000 words by the end of tomorrow, then wrap it all up the following morning.

Edited by Icy Wind

Doing some extra work for my Vertebrate Biology portfolio. Unlike Icy Wind, I feel like I've hit rock bottom. Why?

Well, I'm up at 7am, looking through Google Scholar for information on reptile sexual anatomy for my comparative analysis of general reptile anatomy to mammalian anatomy.

When did my life get so fucked up?

Was benched last night, after dropping to an 84 in my AP-6 class. We lost by 11. My replacement made the cover of the local prep sports newspaper, getting blocked, unfortunately. As incredibly frustrating as this should be, I feel relatively good.

Also, need to get a composition done for 'Such Great Heights.' I suppose the Postal Service version would be more harmonic than the Iron and Wine cover.

This week is going to be absolutely dreadful because of this French Revolution newspaper article I have to do with a group. We each had to type up at least 200 words about our topic for the newspaper . I managed to type 850 words by wasting my entire weekend typing away into the wee hours of the night about Robespierre and Napoleon. Then when I walked into class today little to my surprise two out of the six people in my group had almost nothing typed while the rest of us had 400-850 words typed and were ready to format the paper. The paper is due Thursday and one of the slackers will be gone on Wednesday so that means she has to finish tomorrow or else we'll get a terrible grade for the group work and content part of the grade. The project is only 35 points, but I still want to do well since I have a 100.7 average in that class and would like to keep my grade at a 100.

I've also got a geometry test on Wednesday which I'm not concerned about since it's just figuring out the slopes of lines. Tomorrow I have a Physical Science quiz on bonds and ions which I might not do my best on because I missed the most important section of the notes while at a chorus dress rehearsal. We also have a test on the same material on Thursday too which makes it even worse that I'm confused.

At least our drama class is easy. Today we colored Christmas pictures and tomorrow we're watching Elf and taking notes on it. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

AND? I never did Boolean algebra, but going by basic circuitory knowledge, that'd be multiplication (ie both have to be on to have an end product in case of the circuit equivalent). OR would be more likely addition.

Got the assignments in, spent the weekend in respite, spent Monday Christmas shopping and now have all of Christmas to revise for just two exams. Hurrah!

Edited by VEDJ-F

Offer from Nottingham University; AAB for Chemical Engineering with Environmental Engineering (4 Year MEng Hons). Found out last week.

Also, interview from Loughborough University for Chemical Engineering (4 Year MEng Hons). Scheduled for 7th March.

Feelin' good!

A few months ago my sister looked at Nottingham to look at English, some of the courses were interesting but they wanted perfect GCSEs as well, for English you needed at least 4 As including English. That doesn't really seem fair.

A few months ago my sister looked at Nottingham to look at English, some of the courses were interesting but they wanted perfect GCSEs as well, for English you needed at least 4 As including English. That doesn't really seem fair.

What do you mean by "perfect GCSE's"?

Rarely anyone gets all-A*s at GCSE's, so those kind of expectations are unrealistic, even from Cambridge or Oxford.

And there are few courses (and few Universities) that give an offer based on 4 AS/A-levels. Heck even Oxbridge, and London Uni's give out offers with 3 A-levels.

Looking at their site right now, Nottingham's offer for English Language and Literature (3 year BA Hons) is offered at AAA - AAB, with most being AAB.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this back up. Anyway, currently, I'm studying for semester exams with my Biology and World History exams being the most difficult to study for so far. Anyone else who's starting semester exams this week?

I hate calculus. Actually, I hate how lazy I am.

My teacher checks our notebooks to make sure we did our homework all semester, and there are a ton of assignments I didn't do. So guess what I'm doing all day. :(

• 4 weeks later...

The bad news about having a block/half-semester class is that the class assigns its midterm exam at around the same time the regular classes start pressing down on the workload. My midterm exam due Tuesday requires me to write an 8-page report on different facets of the Russian Revolution, from biographies to 1st-person accounts of the situation. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be so bad, even if I received my midterm during the last class on Thursday, but I also have two reports due on Monday and Wednesday, with the Wednesday one requiring me to read a 380-page book to summarize, as well as a project of sorts due Friday, which is only adding to the pressure.

But on the positive side, it's a block class. Sooo I'm about halfway done now, and once it's done, I have Tuesdays and Thursdays totally off. :D

Currently getting confused with Applications of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions...

I'm a junior in highschool. Have a math quiz tomorrow....I'm going to bomb it....yeah me. I hate math! It's all this complex stuff that I am never going to use again in my life! I can't memorize how to do the problems! I also have this research paper that is stressing me out. Not to mention a theology project.

Sometimes I wonder if all the teachers gather together and plot to make sure every damn thing is due around the same time!

*Sigh* All I wanna do is go to sleep. Is that really so much to ask for?

• 3 weeks later...

For a project in my Information Technology class, I need to get a hold of a business member of a company and interview them. My idea was getting ahold of someone from Sega. Sega of America that is, considering I live in America...

Anyways though, does anyone know of how I could get a hold of anyone from Sega, maybe the CEO if I'm that lucky, but at least someone who works or communicates with the IT department? I've looked around a bit, and the only one I could find was Ken Balough, but that's easy since we all are well aware he's on the Sega forums I don't think he's high enough to work for my project....

Also, I need to come up with GOOD questions to ask this person, so that'd help out too...

Really? Well, I would like help on Integer Exponents

Oh that's easy...

An positive exponent is just that number times itself integer ammount of times. Examples below:

22 = 2 * 2 = 4

35 = 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 243

Anything to the 0 is 1, for whatever reason:

10 = 1

1000 = 1

NEGITIVE exponents are a bit strange IMO. It is 1 divided by the integer the exponent ammount of times:

8-1 = (1 / 8)1 = 0.125

5-4 = (1 / 5)4 = 1 / 5 / 5 / 5 / 5 = 0.0016

Get it?

As for imaginary numbers raised, it's like this:

i=sqrt(-1)

i^1= sqrt(-1)

i^2=sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)= -1

i^3=sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=-1*sqrt(-1)=-(sqrt(-1))= -i or -1*sqrt(i)

i^4=sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=-1*-1=1

For anything more than that, say i^27, do this:

27/4, remainder is 3, so i^27=i^3=-i

Ignore if you haven't learned this yet.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

So I signed up on the Sega Forums, and messaged Kellie of SoA.

She still hasn't replied back. Hopefully she will soon, or else I'll have to come up with some other idea...

I had a dream I made my Geometry teacher from last year explode into a bunch of candy by flicking her off and rubbing my middle finger on her face for a few seconds.

This dream took place at my school, so it's relevant. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, Geometry was an absolute pain for me last year.