Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

That net neutrality ruling is completely separate from the SOPA and Protect IP acts. I doubt the bills have been trashed yet.

Just found out about this via TGWTG.

This is the exact same shit everybody criticizes the Chinese government for. How could anybody in the government support this? Just knowing that this idea managed to get this far, in a country where free fucking speech is supposed to be a guaranteed right, infuriates me.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFanPhase2

We had a similar thing passed not so long ago and it went nowhere. This is the exact same case with this bill; it's going to go nowhere - the minute that Youtube goes down due to the US Government there will be an outcry about how this is the polar opposite of a couple of our own rights so..yeah.

Nintendo and Sony also support it. While I appreciate that they want to crack down on piracy, this kind of law is not going to work and even if it did it would essentially ruin the internet.

http://www.webpronew...h-video-2011-11

Lol, so apparently Viacom supports this thing and made stupid propaganda for it.

And here's the video on it:

Considering that Viacom owns BET, Comedy Central, Paramount, Nick, MTV, and a bunch of other media franchises/companies and their notorious case in which they sued Google and YouTube for supporting piracy....nope, not surprising.

Nintendo and Sony also support it. While I appreciate that they want to crack down on piracy, this kind of law is not going to work and even if it did it would essentially ruin the internet.

Considering that Nintendo has been fighting piracy with their recent (3)DS systems, that too isn't surprising either.

As for Sony....well, aside from the fact that they own Sony Pictures (Columbia/Tristar/Screen Gems), there is that huge PS/Qriocity outage that hackers caused earlier this year. Some of their other sites got hacked as well, so naturally they would support this. Ironically, the upcoming PS Vita is region free though. Yet if this backing is to go by, they might go region lock it out of fear again.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFanPhase2

I just hope the protests and backlash are enough to get people to stop this thing, even with all the lobbyists.

I'm having trouble finding news on the progress of this thing. +_+

Someone called Metal Man88 said it nicely on another forum:

This is the next of many similar bills attempted. It's not likely to happen.

He raises a good point too. Expect a lawsuit to be filed against this law if it does pass. If the US were to ever block a site like Google, there would be a huge protest within minutes, not to mention having a very serious effect on businesses here due to the use of Google's services.

I am glad that the bill is facing a huge amount of opposition thoiugh, because I do think it's important that our brought and sold Congress be let's known that people aren't going to put up with bullshit bills like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a thought.

Pretty much every single computer savvy internet sleuth on the planet opposes this thing. And we all know what happens when a large portion of the internet communtiy gets upset at something. What would happen if almost every hacker on in the world converged on the US government's online presence in response to this bill passing.

I'm picturing a giant sun-eclipsing Voltron-like monstrosity in the guise of Anonymous.

And then the logical conclusion:

USA presents: The War on Online Terror.

And then it all gets silly, and we get fed up and go home, embarrased at the sound of the next generation laughing at us.

EDIT: (I don't actually think that would happen)

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

http://news.cnet.com...er-of-commerce/

US Chamber of Commerce won't back down.

Also, americancensorhship.org updated their site, encouraging people to call their Senators!

EDIT:

http://www.webpronew...or-else-2011-11

NBC is threatening partners to support the SOPA or else. Wonderful.

Disgusting. So now NBC is blackmailing their supporters now to either support the bill or they'll stop doing business with them? Classy. >_>

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the livestream now.

Apparently this will protect Americans from...

-counterfeit medicine

-fake automobile brakes

-fake military equipment

Fucking what.

-counterfeit medicine

-fake automobile brakes

-fake military equipment

Fucking what.

1269159110663.gif

Basically, if I'm getting this right.

• Thumbs Up 4

-counterfeit medicine

-fake automobile brakes

-fake military equipment

Fucking what.

I thought brains were supposed to protect Americans everyone from those.

HURR DURR.

• Thumbs Up 7

-counterfeit medicine

-fake automobile brakes

-fake military equipment

Fucking what.

Fucking manipulation and distribution of false information in order to sway naysayers.

FUCK THOSE GUYS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please, PLEASE don't pass. This is practically the end of the internet as we know it! Everyone, send emails! I know I did.