Awoo.

My Sonic Adventure Review

T-Min

Its an excellent review, thats all I can say, but there is one rather interesting thing I need to point out; more specifically, a person on youtube pointed out that I picked up on. In this particular paragraph, you mentioned the whole "different perspective" thing:

"Sonic Adventure features six different characters that you will control - the titular Sonic the Hedgehog, his buddy Tails, former rival Knuckles the Echidna, fangirl Amy Rose, the moronic Big the Cat, and robot E-102 Gamma. In addition to having their own perspectives on the storyline, they all have different gameplay styles that vary in how far away they shy from the core gameplay of the series."

Since you have played it:

Did you ever notice that not only are the stories seen from the perspective of a different character, but most of them tend to portray the character you are playing as as the MOST IMPORTANT one?

If you are confused, this is what I mean:

In Sonic's battle vs Knuckles, depending on who you play as at the time, the battle depicts either Sonic as the winner or Knuckles as the winner.

In the battle vs Chaos 4, The one character you play as is the one to defeat him, but everyone else seems to have completely vanished.

And Sonic Vs Gamma, same as The Sonic VS Knuckles battle.

Now I know this may very well be the result of limitations back then, or me just thinking too hard, but if you think about it from a story perspective, it ALMOST seems like each character is trying to portray him/herself as the best and most important character in the story. Hell, if this was written as a fanfiction, I could almost imagine this scenario:

Sonic and friends around a campfire reliving the past, but during the revisiting of Sonic Adventure, each of them tries to make it seem as if their specific self is the most important to boost their ego while everyone else is either incompetent or a total kiss ass.

I believe this is what you would call a Rashoman effect, no?

Edited by Enigma2
  • Thumbs Up 3

You know I'm a massive fan of the game, but I like this review! It's one of the few reviews that, when actually booting up the game and playing it, I can easily point out the highlights or downsides that you brought up, rather than having the issues presented be so minor you can only find them by nitpicking the game to death. I can totally agree with it.

Keep up the good work man biggrin.png

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the sentiment that Sonic Adventure hasn't aged all too great*. Still, it's good for an occasional bout of short play.

*Better than Sonic Adventure 2 though, in my opinion.

That was surprisingly well-written and informative. And it's also nice that I pretty much agree with it 100%! =P (Save for Amy's controls, which I thought were fine)

Like you, I also have a lot of nostalgia for Sonic Adventure. While it was far from being my first game (Which was most likely Sonic 2), it came out during the peak of my childhood's nostalgic-era. I sunk so many hours into this game. And then I sunk in tons more, because I was having a weird problem with my memory card and it kept deleting my save files for this game. Or at least, so I thought. Surprisingly obscure fact: Do not turn the Dreamcast off in the middle of an Action Stage. Apparently, that's what kept causing it to happen, and it seems to be true as I haven't had it happen again ever since I found out about it.

Also, for some weird reason, I liked Big the Cat as a kid. I don't know why. Maybe he's just more appealing when you're 10? I mean I hate him these days, and I don't understand what I must have seen in him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good review, and even though I love this game it is starting to show it's age in certain places. I think that Sonic Adventure 2 holds up better.

Edited by Darkfox

The Script was hit-or-miss. The voice-acting on the other hand was total garbage, by any standards of acting.

Sonic was OK at best, with a few really shit moments. Tails fluctuated from being absolutely awful to decent. Knuckles was OK for the most part, consistantly average. Amy was ear-grating. Big was.......complete shite. Gamma was about the only character with consitantly good lines and a good voice.

Its annoying because the story has real potential. Its one of the plots which needs to be remade (alongside SA2, which also has improved but still poor dialogue, and better acting).

Thanks for the review. While I have a 360, I also have a Gamecube, so do you recommend getting the Gamecube port until I can get a Dreamcast and the original version of the game?

Sounds like a solid review to me. I agree with those that think SA1 is superior to the second. While I think both of them have aged, I still somewhat enjoy the first one outside of things like Big's gameplay (not the character mind you, he gets too much hate). Despite introducing the later-loathed giant monster setup, it felt more like a Sonic game compared to the second, partly due to the more varied levels/music and lack of shady military/revenge schemes. Not that SA2 was a complete loss - it did give us King Boom Boo/Rouge/a Robotnik Pyramid (Egyptian-themes have always been pretty cash in my book), but otherwise I'll take the first Adventure. Assuming I can't just pick Colours or Generations instead.

Also, being the original, Chaos was the best of the giant monsters.

...followed closely behind by Time Eater, but that's mainly because he's not one at all.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Great review Mana-T

also

3 Adventure Sonic

Do i win a prize?

You win the "shut-the-f**k-up award" :U

Thanks for the review. While I have a 360, I also have a Gamecube, so do you recommend getting the Gamecube port until I can get a Dreamcast and the original version of the game?

That's probably your best option. Like I said, I've never played that version, though. Probably isn't too bad.

Edited by T-Man