Awoo.

Sami

Welp, since the Persona 5 trailer was lost, I'll post it here for convenience sake...actually, I still don't know how to post Youtube videos, so I'll let someone else do that.

Anyway, I was gonna start my Persona adventure with the first title in the series, but it turns out it's gonna be a while before I get a PSP Vita, so I decided to just start with Persona 3 FES. I'll list the things I like and dislike about this game:

Like:

I'm a huge sucker for simulation based games, tbh. Which is why I really like the high school sections of this game. I like how you have to make sure you have your Social Links in order. I also like the characters involved in the Social Links so far, even though some of them cater to anime cliches, there's also some where I can personally relate too. I also like how the Social Links relate to the battle system, so the simulation elements aren't just there for the sake of being there. So yeah, High School Simulator is good for me.

I like this game's battle system(aside from the A.I, which I'll get into.) Using your Personas require at least some strategy. I learned this the hard way when I kept switching to a Persona that's weak against a certain element and I get a game over because of that. It's different than the usual magic system in most JRPG's these days, so that's nice.

So far I'm invested into the characters and the story. I am interested in finding out what's the deal with this whole Dark Hour thing, and what Tarturus has to do with it. (I'm at the point where I just recruited Fukka to the team btw.) So far my favorite character is Junpei, his whole class clown shtick doesn't get old for me.

Dislikes:

I want to know who's bright idea is to have the dungeons in Tarturus be random? For the love of me I can't understand why the developers did this. It's especially infuriating when you get a lot of rare items in play through in a dungeon, only to get a game over and realize that you probably won't get that rare item again because the dungeons are random. That happened to me twice, and I was pretty upset.

The A.I...I don't think I even need to mention this, since I see it was a common complaint about this game. Yeah, you really have to be careful with the tactics menu, because they'll make some mistakes in battle. The thing I hate the most is when a boss is at one 1HP, I have someone be the healer, everyone's HP is pretty much almost full, and instead of attacking the boss and finishing it off, they'll heal someone instead, who doesn't need any healing. (Damn you Yukari...)

What the hell is with Fuuka's voice actress? How come everyone else in the game sounds serviceable, but Fuuka's is the only one that has a dull monotone? I'm guessing it was the voice actress herself and not the direction, since everyone else sounds fine. Ah well.

I'll continue to post more as I go along, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I guess I'm one of the very few one who kinda liked Fuuka's voice. I didn't think she sounded BAD but she sounded...uninterested at times. Her recording was the main thing which really made me like her though, it was hilarious.

Honestly, I think FES is not worth it. I'd rather have Portable since it adds the improvements from Persona 4 into 3 and you can play as a female protagonist (which has a KICKASS battle theme, I prefer it over Mass Destruction). The Answer is way too grindy and hard for me to even bother with it so I just watched the cutscenes on YouTube instead.

While we're on this topic, (fucking fight me Xenos), I really, really don't like Erin Fitzgerald's Chie like, at all. It's way too stratchy. That being said, I do like her Persona 4 Arena performance, but in Golden and Q? Hell no. Along with this, I kinda don't like Labrys' accent in P4A either. Side note, I thought it was Tara Strong because it sounded like Batman Arkham Harley Quinn.

The A.I...I don't think I even need to mention this, since I see it was a common complaint about this game. Yeah, you really have to be careful with the tactics menu, because they'll make some mistakes in battle. The thing I hate the most is when a boss is at one 1HP, I have someone be the healer, everyone's HP is pretty much almost full, and instead of attacking the boss and finishing it off, they'll heal someone instead, who doesn't need any healing. (Damn you Yukari...)

Note, this is why people prefer Persona 3 Portable, however, FES has The Answer, so, what do you prefer; extra story or better gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 2

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Megami-Tensei/Chie-Satonaka/

Editor here says it best mostly.

Ah, Chie. Both of her voice actresses are somewhat controversial within the Persona fandom. Tracey is criticized for sounding too old, while some find Erin to be on the grating side. Myself? I can see where they're coming from, but for the most part, they brought in solid performances. It's not entirely out there for some high school students to have lower voices, and finding Erin's performance annoying is really more due to Chie's personality than it being the actress's fault.

I mostly prefer original Chie though.

I really hope that Persona 5 has a darker story than 4 though. 4 got dark at times (December though), but it was definitely not as dark as 3. I haven't played 1 or 2 so I dunno whether they were even darker than 3.

I feel like, with the way their going, they might? In terms of the prison motif and the whole chains aesthetic, probably representing some form of breaking free/out in a sense and the phantom thievery being a part of that.

While we're on this topic, (fucking fight me Xenos), I really, really don't like Erin Fitzgerald's Chie like, at all. It's way too stratchy. That being said, I do like her Persona 4 Arena performance, but in Golden and Q? Hell no. Along with this, I kinda don't like Labrys' accent in P4A either. Side note, I thought it was Tara Strong because it sounded like Batman Arkham Harley Quinn.

Note, this is why people prefer Persona 3 Portable, however, FES has The Answer, so, what do you prefer; extra story or better gameplay?

The Answer is the sole reason why I chose FES over portable. Well, that and it's gonna take me a while to get a PSP. I'm a sucker for extra story details.

And yeah, I heard about Persona's 4 lighter tone compared to the other games. When I finally get a PSP Vita, I'll have to judge it for myself. Is the fanbase of the Persona series split on whether or not Persona 4 should have had a darker tone?

That's a plus? The Answer is horrible. The pros to FES is aesthetics, not the Answer.

I tried FES again because I heard from Remz that characters don't get tired the night before the full moon, but Junpei did just that. 

That's a plus? The Answer is horrible. The pros to FES is aesthetics, not the Answer.

I tried FES again because I heard from Remz that characters don't get tired the night before the full moon, but Junpei did just that. 

Huh. Guess I was mistaken. I heard that to prevent the game from being unbeatable due to being underleveled against full moon bosses, the game allows you to grind as much as you want on the day before the operation. Maybe it's just for the day of the final battle then.

extra story or better gameplay?

The Answer is fucking awful

I really hope that Persona 5 has a darker story than 4 though. 4 got dark at times (December though), but it was definitely not as dark as 3. I haven't played 1 or 2 so I dunno whether they were even darker than 3.

ironically my friend thinks the opposite

but he started at P4 so i just tell him he's wrong

The Answer is fucking awful

Well, I hadn't played so, I dunno. If the graphics are the only thing then fuck it, why play FES

Well, I hadn't played so, I dunno. If the graphics are the only thing then fuck it, why play FES

Other reasons:

• The number of Personas in the game has increased.
  • Secret videos of the protagonist's dorm mates have been added to flesh them out.
  • Koromaru can now be taken on walks.
  • Several of the Social Links have been modified slightly, such as Tanaka being available at a different time.
  • Several new Quests have been added.
  • New costumes can be worn in battle.
  • A new event involving Chidori Yoshino was added.
  • Naganaki Shrine has completely overhauled.
  • A hard mode was added.

Plus you can walk around when not in Tartarus unlike Portable, which has more of a point-and-click, visual novel style due to PSP limitations. I'd say FES is still worth it...but yeah, I wouldn't bother with The Answer. There's always YouTube if you want to still see the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh. Guess I was mistaken. I heard that to prevent the game from being unbeatable due to being underleveled against full moon bosses, the game allows you to grind as much as you want on the day before the operation. Maybe it's just for the day of the final battle then.

Yeah, its only on the night of the final fight that you don't get tired (because if you got to that point and still had 20 or so floors left to do that would be brutal) but to be honest I never had much problem with the exhaustion system, mostly because whenever the characters started getting exhausted its normally a good time to stop anyway.

Yeah, its only on the night of the final fight that you don't get tired (because if you got to that point and still had 20 or so floors left to do that would be brutal) but to be honest I never had much problem with the exhaustion system, mostly because whenever the characters started getting exhausted its normally a good time to stop anyway.

Normally what I do is get as high as I possibly can before I start grinding.

I already said. Aesthics.

Persona 3 is a very atmospheric game, and a lot of it was lost in the PSP version due to it playing more like a visual novel than a movie.

Imagine Dual Destinies with all the character models and their animations replaced with sprites that don't move, and cutscenes being cut down to 3 image slideshows.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm almost done with the Journey, and I have learned one very important thing while playing the final dungeon: I did not take full advantage of the whole Social Link fusing Persona thing. I'm still using the same Personas I was using from the 5th block, and I feel like I should have stronger Personas at this point. Currently at Lvl 71...with 55-61 Lvl Personas, lol. Well, at least when I play this game a second time one day, I'll take more advantage of it in the beginning. 

But damn, exploring Tartarus is a tedious process. I'm glad that Atlus are shaking things up with dungeon exploring for Persona 5, even though, according to what I've researched, there's still a luck generator in there. 

Loving the story so far, though is it just me, or are some characters getting more spotlight than the others. I feel like Ken's development was a little rushed.

EDIT: Speaking of dungeon exploring, does P4 have the same structure as Tartarus?

EDIT: Speaking of dungeon exploring, does P4 have the same structure as Tartarus?

Persona 4's a bit more straightforward with its dungeon exploring.  You go through different dungeons depending on where you're at in the story (you have to beat them in order to continue onward).  Floors are still randomly generated except for a few floors that have a puzzle attached to them, and it's still pretty terrible.

Persona 4's a bit more straightforward with its dungeon exploring.  You go through different dungeons depending on where you're at in the story (you have to beat them in order to continue onward), and they're all pretty much getting from Point A to Point B (the Boss).  Floors are still randomly generated, and it's still a bit shit.

That...sounds worse than Persona 3...damn. 

Well, like I said, there at least changing it up for Persona 5 at least. 

It's better than Persona 3 by a wide margin. The dungeons are much shorter and don't drag to hell, the music is unique in each dungeon let alone actual aesthetics.

It's still hallways but thank god they aren't long hallways

• Thumbs Up 4

It's better than Persona 3 by a wide margin. The dungeons are much shorter and don't drag to hell, the music is unique in each dungeon let alone actual aesthetics.

It's still hallways but thank god they aren't long hallways

Ah, okay, I misread Nix's post's it seemed. Well, the fact that the dungeons are shorter is a huge relief.

I think Persona 4 doesn't have that stupid thing where you and your party get tired if you spend way too much time in the dungeon. It could be possible for you to finish in one day. Also, there's a time limit where if you fail to compete the dungeon in the amount of days the game give you, you get a game over. It does reset back by a week so you aren't totally screwed.

The Midnight Channel also doesn't do the stupid shit of "oh, your party's too far away? SORRY, CAN'T USE THEM IN BATTLE KTHANKS".

I think Persona 4 doesn't have that stupid thing where you and your party get tired if you spend way too much time in the dungeon. It could be possible for you to finish in one day. Also, there's a time limit where if you fail to compete the dungeon in the amount of days the game give you, you get a game over. It does reset back by a week so you aren't totally screwed.

You probably never want this to happen though by the way since you lose a whole weeks worth of progress in the process.