Doot doo doo...

3attack.gif

What the...? Those eyes...

3attack2.gif

*screams*

Oh fuck!

3attack3.gif

Turn around, Edgeworth! Turn around!

Oooohhhhh, I remember that while watching the Japanese playthrough. Listen to Tornado kids, you might be spared a tall, black eyed...human faced...

badger

*successfully resists temptation to click spoiler tags*

Bought this before work this morning, just at the start of the second episode now.

I must say one thing I'm a tad disappointed at with the Ace Attorney series as a whole as it's progressed is the images that appear in the background on the menu once you clear an episode. In the first game, each one looked like an epic movie poster representative of their respective arcs. Except after that, they seemed to get less and less spectacular, usually just entailing a full-body shot of a single character with a relatively simple background (or, in the case of Apollo Justice, nothing at all).

Yes, it's a minor gripe that doesn't affect the game itself, but it does seem to be a bit of a shame. Those epic movie-poster-like images are something I loved about the first game, and they felt like a nice little reward for finishing the arc.

They also stopped putting the objection!! pose on the bottom screen, like with AJ and now AAI. Lame I tell you.

Nearly done with Case 4. Gumshoe is fucking awesome. Though I think I may have found a continuity screwup with the rest of the games. I need to play Trials and Tribulations again to be sure.

Whenever the Blue Badger's creator is referenced in case 3, I can't help but remind myself, "This abomination of a mascot was created by none other than a serial killer."

I'll bet they don't put that bit of trivia in Gatewater's pamphlets.

Well, hell, Gatewater is only popular because people keep getting murdered and kidnapped at Gatewater Hotel.

Every time Edgeworth talked about the Badger dance, I kept thinking of the "What the hell was that wriggling piece of plywood?" line from Rise from the Ashes. And I totally saw the Gumshoe badger! I was so hoping for it to be mentioned in the game proper, but it never came up.

Wait, what were you referring to then?

Edit: Actually, I think I just confused myself. Nevermind.

Edited by Tornado

I meant the Gatewater Hotel. After reading your post it would make perfect sense for them to use the product of someone as vicious as Gant. Of all the repeated references in Ace Attorney, that hotel is the one I always end up overlooking.

Fuck yes dudes and dudettes, it arrived!! And 3-4 days early too! Awesomeawesomeawesomeawesome. Now I can finally stop hating you all for playing it while I wait in misery.

I'll be playing it now. 'kthnxbi.

EDIT: Just finished the first case, I miss the court cases but the sprites are lovely and the plot is off to a decent start.

Also I like the Logic and Deduction systems.

Edited by Lyra

Just finished the second case. Yeah, I'll admit something does seem a bit 'off' in that there are no court scenes. It's still good fun, but catching people out in their testimony seems a bit more like a crude argument due to the lack of formal court procedure. D:

Yeah "Cross Examinations" in random locations just feel a bit weird.

Also I wonder who prosecutes the people Edgey finds "Guilty"? I mean maybe I'll find out later but Edgeworth hasn't said anything about actually doing any prosecuting so far (on my end)

Maybe the court cases just happen with some nobody defense attorney and some nobody prosecutor who don't need to do anything at all because all the facts are as clear as day already.

Who am I kidding I've barely played any at all and I'm already thinking about things that could easily be explained down the line.

Edited by Lyra

I do hope that they retain the third-person aspect for the investigation sections of future Ace Attorney games, or perhaps better still use a mixture of both the classic first-person view and this new one.

From what I've played so far, I think Investigations certainly adds some nice new elements, now it's just a case of integrating them into a 'proper' Ace Attorney game to get the best results.

I will say one other thing though, that's had me a little irked. If I've been paying attention, both the second and third cases are set before the first one, right? When they pull something like that (I think Justice For All did something similar), it does annoy me a little. I find it very difficult to really get into arcs like that, since you know everything turns out okay due to the fact that you've already seen what's going to happen later on.

EDIT: Seen the Proto Badger who says "Ab-SO-lutely". I know there was someone who said that in a previous game, but can't for the life of me remember who. Help? D:

Edited by Mahzes

Some way into the second case!

Saw Franziska! YAY! She has to be one of my favourite characters from the whole series, I hope she's in the other cases too.

Also saw Sal Manella! Nice cameo, loved the "over 9000!".

Also saw the lunchland lady! Loving all the references, this game is packed full of them.

Sorry just had to post my thoughts quick. ^^;

(I think Justice For All did something similar)

The first case was set after the second case, but that's all.

Edited by Lyra

I too racked my brain trying to figure out who the hell the Proto Badger was, but with no luck sadly..

In Trials and Tribulations the 2 of the cases were flashback cases, but one of them was introductory case and the other was set-up to segue directly into the 5th. In Apollo Justice shit was all over the place, though.

My brother pointed out that Redd White had something of a similar speech pattern, but I can't remember how close it was, and besides, he should be in jail or dead anyway, so it can't be him.

I know there was someone else with that speech pattern. It's really bugging me, now. D:

Haha. Whenever I view this thread, it is as if the only kind of posts I see are spoilers or "going2buynow kthxbye!" XD

For a good reason, though. Sounds like a really ace game. If I know Norway right however, it is not out here yet (that is, if it is out in Europe in general at this point).

I heard this is the first Ace Attorney game not translated into any European languages due to low sales there. D:

I heard this is the first Ace Attorney game not translated into any European languages due to low sales there. D:

That's only part of it. Fans really wanted shorter waits for European versions of the game, but if the game is being translated into other languages for the PAL release that's just not possible. Fans has to wait over a year for Trials and Tribulations, and by then most people, even those from non-English countries, had already imported the US version.

So yes, Capcom decided to release AA games faster in Europe from now on, but this also means they won't be translated into European languages anymore, otherwise the sales will be so low that there's no point in releasing them there at all.

Edited by Lyra

Just finished Turnabout Reminiscence.

I must confess, up until this point I'd been finding the game a bit 'meh', and was all but set to label it as my least favourite in the series (obviously I was going to reserve judgement until I'd finished it, but I was preparing myself to make such a claim going on the first three arcs). I just didn't find myself really getting into the first three arcs all that much.

Reminiscence quite literally was the turnabout point for me in the game. Despite being sceptical at first considering the arc is blatant retcon, I loved every second of it. Maybe it's because it felt a lot more 'legal' and thus formal (considering it happened in the courthouse), and more akin to traditional Ace Attorney, but in itself it seemed much more well-written, and I found myself actually getting into the plot, unlike the first three arcs.

To top it all off, it actually starts to tie the earlier arcs together, making them seem slightly less 'meh' than they did at the time. Gonna start Turnabout Ablaze tomorrow, and really looking forward to it now. Here's hoping the game will end on a high note, although I must say I'm certainly thinking more of the game than I was twelve hours ago. =D

I will say that I still think the logic system is underused so far, though. It's a neat new idea and I hope they keep it for future games.

Edited by Mahzes

Just finished the game. The final case is long, and my thoughts on it

Quercus Alba is one evil bastard. And confronting him was a bit of a challenge (mostly because I kept over looking one thing). Just when you think you've won against that jerk... he brings up something that gives him his alibi back. Plus he's the only person that you confront in which the penalty becomes doubled when presenting the wrong evidence or pressing him. Also his breakdown animation after finally getting him for good is creepy at the very end of the animation.

All in all, I had my fun with this, I enjoyed the humor in this (Edgeworth and the person that calls him Edgey Poo = LOLZ). I didn't play any of the other Ace attorney games in almost a few months because of my DS Lite acting up, so after getting it back about 4 days ago got me playing immediately. Although before that I was using my sister's ds phat to play it. I did one case a day, although I spent a bit more time then that since I had a paper to do. So in short: fun game, makes you think, evil jerk, victory, and requires a bottle of water for consuming since you might get thirsty while playing.

Also Phoenix gets mentioned a less than few times, but no one actually says his name.

Just finished The Kidnapped Turnabout. MORE flashbacks now? I dunno... Still it sounds like Mahzes loved Case 4, so ;)

Anyway I'm both disappointed and impressed by Case 3.

Oldbag, Meekins and especially Ema seemed awfully tacked on don't you think? Their relevance to the case was completely minimal, and they just disappear about halfway through and you never hear from them again. Not happy about that since Ema is one of my favourite characters...

On the other hand the characterisation was much better in this than in 1 or 2 imo. It felt more Ace Attorney. The Badger stuff was also pretty creepy and mostly pretty awesome, I ALWAYS thought the BB was creepy (Rise From The Ashes anyone?), and the Proto-Badger kinda takes it to a new level... Who was the Proto-Badger Edgey saw anyway? Ah well...

The references were pretty awesome too!

- Was the stage set up for Klavier's band? Definitely seemed like it...

- Did anyone else see who was in that boat? ;)

- I definitely remember some cacti in the police station too... :P

So yeah, can't wait to play moar. Zgamomgz.

Right I am now confused. RIGHT at the start of case 4:

This is Edgeworth's first case as a prosecutor? I thought Turnabout Beginnings was... Confuuuused!!

Nevermind it seems like there's no case at all xD

Edited by Lyra

I'm partway into Case 5 now and still liking it a lot.

I just reckon the game doesn't really pick up until Turnabout Reminiscence, with the second and third arcs being (from what I've played so far) the low points of the game.

Hoping to finish the game off tomorrow. =D

EDIT:

(Episode 3 spoiler)

Boat? What boat? Where? Who was in it? D=

Also Lang is really really cool, as is Badd.

Edited by Mahzes

(Episode 3 spoiler)

Boat? What boat? Where? Who was in it? D=

Before you go into the "kidnapper's hideout", you can go to the Main Gate, and if you look off the bridge you can see 3 very familiar characters having a fun boatride together

;)