Awoo.

Why I Play Sonic Games

Legendary Emerald

I guess for the gameplay; but that's gone stagnant with the linearization, hand-holding, and focus on what is essentially limitless boosting.

But in all honesty, I don't anymore unless there's an actual reason. Last Sonic game I played was the Generations demo; and that pretty much shot down paying full price for that game. I'd rather play good games than ones in what is apparently my favorite franchise... go figure.

I guess for the gameplay; but that's gone stagnant with the linearization, hand-holding, and focus on what is essentially limitless boosting.

But in all honesty, I don't anymore unless there's an actual reason. Last Sonic game I played was the Generations demo; and that pretty much shot down paying full price for that game. I'd rather play good games than ones in what is apparently my favorite franchise... go figure.

Saying the entire game sucks because of the demo seems really over dramatic.

Saying the entire game sucks because of the demo seems really over dramatic.

You really like misquoting me, don't you?

I said not paying full price, not garbage-tastic-suck-fest. It still looks decent; in the same way Unleashed and Colors did; and I didn't pay full price for either of those either (got Colors free from Destructoid's contest).

You really like misquoting me, don't you?

I said not paying full price, not garbage-tastic-suck-fest. It still looks decent; in the same way Unleashed and Colors did; and I didn't pay full price for either of those either (got Colors free from Destructoid's contest).

I don't see how full price or half price makes a difference, you're still getting the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how full price or half price makes a difference, you're still getting the game.

That was what the "what is apparently my favorite franchise... go figure." part was for. I'd rather get a new favorite; but no other series is as frequent and predictable (sadly) as Sonic.

That was what the "what is apparently my favorite franchise... go figure." part was for. I'd rather get a new favorite; but no other series is as frequent and predictable (sadly) as Sonic.

So why wait? Just get first hand, unless you got something else you plan on buying.

So why wait? Just get first hand, unless you got something else you plan on buying.

Because I have patience, am a tightwad, and two-three months isn't that big of a wait anyway. I'd rather get Skyrim and Solatorobo at full price since I actually believe that the people behind them are putting some actual love into the game (especially CC2) instead of taking the easy route like Sonic Team is and just cashing in on nostalgia and the idea that just the model will fix everything even if the gameplay is the same scripted junk as the rest of the new formula.

You can say a lot of negative things about this game. But no love, and subsequently the implication of no effort, being put into it really isn't one of them. You'd do better to direct such an accusation to Episode 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

They shouldn't really care about winning everyone over. They should be care about making and improving upon solid and appealing games.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can say a lot of negative things about this game. But no love, and subsequently the implication of no effort, being put into it really isn't one of them. You'd do better to direct such an accusation to Episode 1.

I keep hearing the usual "Well it isn't as bad as 06/S4E1", but really, that's not saying much at all.

No, the usual is, "This is going to be the best/one of the best Sonic games in years." The snark's irregardless of my point though, which is that your accusation that the game lacks love because it uses nostalgia as a hook and popular gameplay is unfounded.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, my accusation is that they once again said "Classic genesis sonic experience" and once again manage to not even come close (levels are brimming with scripts; rolling manages to slow you down, physics in general are off to where even the rebound height from destroying an enemy is set in stone).

There's also boost Sonic, but I don't care about that style enough to elaborate. I think "the dev team's core philosophy" is fairly evident.

Edited by E-25
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only real egregious error there is the wonky rolling. Scripted ramp segments and a fixed rebound height in general don't impede upon classic gameplay; there's far more annoying bullshit in CD. This still isn't really hitting on my point of contention, however.

No, my accusation is that they once again said "Classic genesis sonic experience" and once again manage to not even come close (levels are brimming with scripts; rolling manages to slow you down, physics in general are off to where even the rebound height from destroying an enemy is set in stone).

Incorrect. The physics are fine. See momentum, inertia and all that, it still exists. See, stuff like bounce-height, has nothing to do with physics....at all.

Rolling and scripted ramps is the only problem, and the latter isn't even really that intrusive. Sure its annoying, but it doesn't break the game. Its not like they're incompetant either, because the rolling on the skateboard in City Escape works perfectly fine.

You're over-exaggerating the extent of the flaws in Generations.

There's also boost Sonic, but I don't care about that style enough to elaborate. I think "the dev team's core philosophy" is fairly evident.

What? Well, for us to understand what you're talking about, you'll have to elaborate.

since I actually believe that the people behind them are putting some actual love into the game (especially CC2) instead of taking the easy route like Sonic Team is and just cashing in on nostalgia and the idea that just the model will fix everything even if the gameplay is the same scripted junk as the rest of the new formula.

And actually, you did make this accusation. ^

And again, like Nepenthe said. You can talk aboiut how flawed the gameplay might be, but there is no way you can say that Sonic Team aren't putting any love in this game, simply because it uses nostalgia.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I keep hearing the usual "Well it isn't as bad as 06/S4E1", but really, that's not saying much at all.

Considering one of those games was an absolute glitchfest that could reach nigh-unplayable levels and made a mess with pacing and abrubtly switching characters at random points in the game, that says a whole dimension on how much better Generation's is shaping up.

And to make such a claim is really looking for an excuse to bash it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Incorrect. The physics are fine. See momentum, inertia and all that, it still exists. See, stuff like bounce-height, has nothing to do with physics....at all.

Rolling and scripted ramps is the only problem, and the latter isn't even really that intrusive. Sure its annoying, but it doesn't break the game. Its not like they're incompetent either, because the rolling on the skateboard in City Escape works perfectly fine.

Being able to rebound to a proper height still rips away part of what they shouldn't have promised in the first place; they're making it a guided experience that looks nice the first time but if you play it a couple times it gets boring and the guidelines start showing really clearly. The skateboard automatically accelerates (and can't change direction until it hits a wall); as can be clearly seen in the hack video.

What? Well, for us to understand what you're talking about, you'll have to elaborate.

They're doing nothing but making Modern a cinematic experience; shallow and flashy with enough forcing forward and automation to choke out most gameplay (GHZ is a booster littered hall with a random chopper; CE is literally more than half forcing you forward with the board and truck chase; CPZ is looking just as linear as GHZ, but has a bunch of springs and air rings around the main path to make it look cooler while you don't actually play; etc.)

And actually, you did make this accusation. ^

And again, like Nepenthe said. You can talk about how flawed the gameplay might be, but there is no way you can say that Sonic Team aren't putting any love in this game, simply because it uses nostalgia.

They literally built on top of Unleashed, even leaving in pieces from it to save time.

Please, no discussion of the music, storyline, or characters...

But, but, but! I play for the stories and characters in EVERY game, not just for Sonic.

Forget the game play, I don't care how hard, annoying, inconvenient it is, I will adapt around it just to figure out whats going to happen to Sonic and Co.

That is why I can't stand Colours. I hear its a good game, but the story is God awful and the interaction between characters is too.

If I have no story incentive to play, I won't. I genuinely care for these characters, learning about the world that they come from, and seeing them overcome everything in their way. Games to me are an interactive book.

Of course if they're fun, that makes it all the better.

Edited by Anarnee

But, but, but! I play for the stories and characters in EVERY game, not just for Sonic.

Forget the game play, I don't care how hard, annoying, inconvenient it is, I will adapt around it just to figure out whats going to happen to Sonic and Co.

That is why I can't stand Colours. I hear its a good game, but the story is God awful and the interaction between characters is too.

If I have no story incentive to play, I won't. I genuinely care for these characters, learning about the world that they come from, and seeing them overcome everything in their way. Games to me are an interactive book.

Of course if they're fun, that makes it all the better.

• Thumbs Up 3

They literally built on top of Unleashed, even leaving in pieces from it to save time.

Saving time by using a recurring engine and assets and focusing on actual development = no love put into the game? Wow.

Anyhoo, I guess I should answer the original question: I play Sonic games to take charge of a menagerie of colorful animals and go through environments conquering and wrecking shit. I don't really particularly care how that's done although I would ultimately prefer any way be done well and improved upon for subsequent sequels. And I enjoy the episodic universe and character interaction.

Saving time by using a recurring engine and assets and focusing on actual development = no love put into the game? Wow.

I guess that makes the Mario & Zelda games the laziest games in the entire gaming community doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 3

I play Sonic for the speed, platforming, the massive stages and all of the colorful scenery around you. The Unleashed has the potential, just tone down the speed, have boosting something that is earned, and have more alternative paths. Sonic Colors did sort of tried to pull all of this off and it worked fairly well. Hopefully Sonic Generations fixes everything up

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

Probably; I tend to avoid those as well since one is in a cycle of constant remakes of the same exact one game (OoT)
  • Thumbs Up 1

Probably; I tend to avoid those as well since one is in a cycle of constant remakes of the same exact one game (OoT) and the other I've not been into since the NES.