Awoo.

Would the American story have been better

Miko

That is reading to far into it, it was pro nature, but it did not push it as bad as cartoons today. And as far as the character I think you are trying to argue with me, despite us having the same opinion. I liked him being evil, I liked him not having any real redeeming qualities. My argument is that he was a good villain, I prefer him over the game version.

I'm willing to concede that he was a good villain.

But he really wasn't a good character. And the franchise's most prominent, long-running antagonist should be interesting as a character, I think.

What motivates Julian? Why does he do what he does? Are we supposed to accept that he's simply evil because that's the way he is? That's incredibly unsatisfying to me, and gives the impression that the villain's characterization was an afterthought in the grand scheme of things.

Relevant to the topic, if that version of Robotnik- or something similar- had been in the games, I'd have been extremely repelled by him. The heroes wouldn't have interested me enough, frankly, and I imagine I'd have never been captivated by this series in the first place. I just cannot imagine the game story appealing to me with that exaggerated, distorted caricature of the Eggman I know and love as the main villain.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I could argue about why I love the whole uber-evil Robotnik and the Freedom Fighting vibe etc etc, but I suppose what it comes down to is that I was a real child of the 90s and that's just my bag.

One thing I WOULD argue for though is a more balanced ratio of humans:furries. I would love to see animal non-player-characters wandering around as freely as the human ones, so that it didn't feel like Sonic and co are practically the only anthropomorphic animals on the planet. They seem more like alien guests (even though they're not) than citizens. Plus, I don't like the fact that almost all of the furry characters we know are super-powered or particularly skilled. It would be really nice to have some 'regular everyday' furries just hanging around, too.

I could argue about why I love the whole uber-evil Robotnik and the Freedom Fighting vibe etc etc, but I suppose what it comes down to is that I was a real child of the 90s and that's just my bag.

I grew up in the 90s too, granted.

But I see what you mean. On the whole, most people who grew up in that period feel the way you do, and I'm the weird exception who didn't really get into Sonic until long after its initial popularity boom. I was over there playing Mario and thinking mustaches were slick and hip, though alas I was a kid and couldn't grow one.

One thing I WOULD argue for though is a more balanced ratio of humans:furries. I would love to see animal non-player-characters wandering around as freely as the human ones, so that it didn't feel like Sonic and co are practically the only anthropomorphic animals on the planet. They seem more like alien guests (even though they're not) than citizens. Plus, I don't like the fact that almost all of the furry characters we know are super-powered or particularly skilled. It would be really nice to have some 'regular everyday' furries just hanging around, too.

Yeah, I can agree to this.

AoStH, which also counts as an SoA continuity, did this pretty much exactly. As I said before, it had about an equal split of human and animal inhabitants, and in general, I liked its world and setting a lot more than SatAM's presentation that Robotnik and Snively were more than likely the only humans alive. (Lazaar was human, yes, but was apparently asleep for centuries, so his isolated existence may not confirm the existence of other humans.)

Background/townsfolk animals would be a nice addition though, yes. Also more plot-relevant non-background humans, though arguably the games are already doing that, with such recent additions as the GUN Commander, Prof. Pickle, etc.

Edited by El Gran Gordo