Awoo.

God Bless America

SuperStingray

As everything from The Bucket List to Breaking Bad has shown us, cancer can change a man's view on life and make him do crazy things.

But upon hearing he has a malignant brain tumor, Frank goes off the deep end. Fed up with American diatribe and braindead culture, he has one goal: To kill everyone who deserves this fate more than he does.

While in reality, I don't believe any one man should be the judge of who lives or dies, I can't deny having fantasies of just getting certain people out of the picture. This really sounds like a shadenfreude-tastic adventure to anyone who's seen these kinds of people and wanted to do the same, though at the same time I hope it's handled responsibly enough not to motivate the audience to do the same.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 7

My missus is going to absolutely love this movie, because she's been as downtrodden and mistreated by American society for as long as she's been alive, and the town she lives in is packed with the rudest assholes you can imagine; she would go postal were it not for me. This looks like the most satisfying, cathartic movie of the year if it sees folks similar to them get gunned down indiscriminately.

Just reposting my previous quote:

Someone actually made a movie about people who are just plain fed up with what America's culture/society has become and the behavior of some Americans are today. That alone put a smile on my face.

My missus is going to absolutely love this movie, because she's been as downtrodden and mistreated by American society for as long as she's been alive, and the town she lives in is packed with the rudest assholes you can imagine.

Woah, seriously? o.o" How come?

Hah, that plot synopsis reminds me of one of my favorite comic books.

250px-JTHM1.jpg

The whole first half of the graphic novel is just assholes getting murdered by the main character, until it starts getting more philosophical and fantastical.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Oh wow...I need to be first in line for this movie.

This is gonna be every misanthropes dream movie for years to come.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was intrigued by the premise, but the trailer is really not giving me high hopes. It just seems too flippant, too accepting of Frank's "solution". For an idea like this to work I think you need to make an effort to show how broken the character is and how what he's doing is not something to be admired, and I'm just not seeing that in the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've just got this inkling that even though the film is about killing the most repelling and annoying and terrible people, the girl with him is going to be really fucking annoying.

Also the quote about "Civilisation no longer being civilised" is going to be the central message of the film making it almost pointless to watch aside from a "how we got here" perspective. Expect a "Not So Different" scene or two.

Still, seems kind of interesting I suppose. Great premise, trailer seems kind of bleh. One of those self-indulgent movies. That is, unless it's more indepth and involved and the trailer is misleading.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only in America is a film like this, with mass murdering glorified, justified, and enjoyed, embraced. Hypocritical film of the century. Hopefully the trailer is just awful and the actual film isn't how they're promoting it.

I dislike it when people are self-centered jerks as much as the next guy. However, an honest examination of myself reveals that I have many irritating foibles, and- though I do try- I'm anything but the perfectly considerate human being. Ergo, to wish death upon people for their selfishness, rudeness, lack of perspective or consideration, or any other flaws seems kind of hypocritical from my perspective since- really- I sadly do plenty of things that aren't so nice too.

So in light of that, this film isn't for me.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 7

Westboro Baptist Church gets massacred? Best movie ever!

...Let's be honest, this man is doing the world a favor :D

I wonder if that girl is simply going to be a part of his mind, and that she doesn't actually exist. Something about her being there seems really off to me, and the fact that he is accepting of her being there and killing others for enjoyment seems odd to me too. Which is why I just have this theory that she might just be a part of his personality.

Of course I am probably entirely wrong.

Still though, intrigued by the movie. I hope they do have a twist somewhere in the film that doesn't end up glorifying all this, but at the same time I can appreciate the sentiment behind the video about how self-indulgent we've become as people. Not that I agree with the entire way its being portrayed thus far in the film via that trailer, and I sure as hell know I'm not perfect myself, but it's still something I am interested in watching.

The actual premise--a man who gets fed up with our society and goes on a rampage--is actually kind of interesting, but the presentation really bothers me. The humorous take on it seems to glorify the acts and the trailer actually disturbed me.

Sorry, but I don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks like utterly fun satire

Crude offensive fun satire

Has a sort of Super vibe to it, mite b kool.

Also, none of you in this thread seem to understand dark comedy, lighten up. It's a movie, it's meant to be shocking and offensive, to the point where it's hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 2

As much of a cynical asshole as I am and how I know a lot of us wish we could just put a bullet through everyone's head, I feel some REEEEEEEEEEEALLY strong Disproportionate Retribution here. Dude kills people for simply being jerks like the jocks at the movies or the guy who parked his car over two spaces.

I'd be more accepting of the premise if every target wasn't dealt with by murder. I'd much prefer a more ironic punishment to some of the more simply annoying people. While I got some dark satisfaction watching some parts of the trailer, I couldn't help but feel more and more disgusted at the blind mass murder of completely regular people who honestly don't deserve the kind of punishment they get for their actions.

• Thumbs Up 2

My missus is going to absolutely love this movie, because she's been as downtrodden and mistreated by American society for as long as she's been alive, and the town she lives in is packed with the rudest assholes you can imagine.

Lol, aren't you moving here Patticus?

Anyways, I agree with the naysayers.

Have you guys seen the movie Falling Down?

Without watching this I can tell it was better.

Lol, aren't you moving here Patticus?

Yes, for my beloved, but not without a dark sense of foreboding in my gut about what kind of a world I find myself being drawn into.

That female that he is with.....she irritates me.....

I might not see this.

Edited by Random Rhyme 3rd Verse
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dislike it when people are self-centered jerks as much as the next guy. However, an honest examination of myself reveals that I have many irritating foibles, and- though I do try- I'm anything but the perfectly considerate human being. Ergo, to wish death upon people for their selfishness, rudeness, lack of perspective or consideration, or any other flaws seems kind of hypocritical from my perspective since- really- I sadly do plenty of things that aren't so nice too.

So in light of that, this film isn't for me.

This coming from the same person who told me that they like Kefka. tongue.png

Seriously, everyone has harbored thoughts of offing certain people for their boorishness and crass discrimination - the scum of society as one would put it. It's nothing more than black/gallows humor exemplified and exaggerated. It strikes a primal emotion in people that one needs to get culled from the gene pool if they are a disgrace to society, that is something everyone can relate towards no matter how much of an innocent facade they put up in life.

But anyone who mows down the Westboro Baptist Church in a comedic film should be awarded a medal.

Part of me would like to say it's modern gallows humor, another part of me says that we're one step closer to re-creating the Academy Award winner movie Ass from Idiocracy. All I see it is nothing but humor created to appeal to our darkest, harbored emotions.

Yes, for my beloved, but not without a dark sense of foreboding in my gut about what kind of a world I find myself being drawn into.

You have a ridiculously sensational image of the country I live in. Do you really think it's that different than where you're from.

• Thumbs Up 4

You have a ridiculously sensational image of the country I live in. Do you really think it's that different than where you're from.

Well, there seem to be vast gulfs in things like healthcare, employment laws, low level employee treatment by customers and employers, attitudes toward (and the coverage and quality of) public transportation, unionisation and so on. There are some incredibly stark differences.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking about my reaction to this movie for a while. And ultimately? I've played Postal 2. The idea was vaguely nifty then, mostly just because it allowed you to do it and it was at times (and I must stress that this was only on occasion) fairly clever in its satire of American culture.

I'm very highly doubtful, based on that trailer, that this movie will be either; so what's the point? It was pretty clearly put together under the "controversy means sales!" viewpoint, so it almost certainly won't be any good as a film, either.

Well, there seem to be vast gulfs in things like healthcare, employment laws, low level employee treatment by customers and employers, attitudes toward (and the coverage and quality of) public transportation, unionisation and so on. There are some incredibly stark differences.

Differences = Bad, of course.

Edited by Gilda

Differences = Bad, of course.

Well, things like fearing the cost of doctor visits, the comparatively absolute necessity of car ownership, getting treated even more poorly at work, will all take a lot of getting used to. Not all the differences are bad by any means, it's just a handful of things which stand out and worry me. Having grown up there, it must be much easier to deal with and accept, but coming in from the outside with a foreign outlook, perspective, views on ways things should be, will make it harder.