Awoo.

New Nintendo 2DS XL...You Heard That Right

Zippo

That looks cool and all...

giphy.gif

...unless they're really serious about continuing the 3DS line despite the Nintendo Switch still... well, being the handheld that it is.

Because the Nintendo Switch cost $300, has very few games and isn't very good as a handheld. This cost $150, has a lot of games and most importantly probably cost Nintendo a third of that to produce.

• Thumbs Up 7

That design look sick, I like it actually

So now the 2DS not only has a 'New' variant, but it's also an XL variant...

They're phasing out the old guard I see

Nintendo y'all tempting me

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey, it's actually going with a traditional 3DS design instead of that awkward, archaic, and just plain not ergonomical brick design of the orginal 2DS.  I wouldn't mind upgrading to that, since I pretty much never use the 3D anyway.

I've been wanting to upgrade my 2DS since last year and was really tempted to get a New 3DS XL around Christmas time, but I'm glad I held off. This isn't a necessity for me, but I prefer the clamshell design and like the price, so I'll definitely look into it this Summer (and so continues my usual having two versions of Nintendo handhelds since the GBA era).

Anybody else remember the game boy advance micro? Or the dsi? Nintendo always does the final revision of the hardware so that they can capitalize on the final sale getting rid of existing stock in the final games they have coming for the system that and not every kid is ready for a switch. That paired with still rather high price of the regular 3DS means they now have a very nice easily put on sale counter product to the switch

• Thumbs Up 2

My little brother's 3DS XL broke a while back, so this is cool.

I mean, they're still making 3DS games. We already knew that. So they might as well make another 3DS thing. Who uses 3D anyways? It always made me feel sick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Who uses 3D anyways?

Ahem! Good sir! There are plenty of 3D rompers like myself!Image result for monocle

Seriously speaking, yeah, I'm one of the many who dig the 3D. Still, I'm sure they'll keep that around for NEWNintendo3DSXL as well too! :P

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Ahem! Good sir! There are plenty of 3D rompers like myself!Image result for monocle

Seriously speaking, yeah, I'm one of the many who dig the 3D. Still, I'm sure they'll keep that around for NEWNintendo3DSXL as well too! :P

Oh yeah. Silly question on my part.

Anyways, since it's a New system... Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3D work on it? And on that subject, will we get any more New exclusive titles?

Makes sense to have a cheaper version out in the tail-end of the 3DS lifespan, lower entry barrier and all.

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Anyways, since it's a New system... Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3D work on it? And on that subject, will we get any more New exclusive titles?

Certainly wouldn't be too much of a shock if they did, especially with the "New"s (eh, see what I did there?) at the front-liners at ze moment!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least Nintendo has gone back to using two separate screens this time. I always despised how the original 2DS was just one huge LCD screen with a bit of plastic over the middle so that it looked like two separate screens; that's just lazy hardware design. This latest revision looks less cheap then the original 2DS even if it's being sold at a budget price point.

To be honest, I kind of seen the whole 2DS upgrade coming from a mile away. I don't think a lot of people care much about the 3D, and at this point that's the extra bit that you're paying for now. You have a very nice handheld console; will that be with or without 3D? Had I not traded in my Wii U and New 3DS XL, I definitely would have upgraded to this. Of course, I would have had to check out the specs and compare them to what I had already. Can anyone compare the New 3DS XL and the 2DS XL?

53 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Because the Nintendo Switch cost $300, has very few games and isn't very good as a handheld.

I have to disagree, at least with the part about the Switch not being a good handheld. It is a little short on games right now, but surely it's subject to change in the future. As far as I'm concerned, the Switch is the handheld console I've been looking for. Honestly, I play it more in handheld mode than I do anything else. You're seriously the first I've seen say something negative about the Switch. Then again, I really don't do a lot of digging for Switch reviews.

• Thumbs Up 1

so like..the only question i have for this is will they stop selling original nintendo 3ds games eventually? bc i still have an original 3ds and not the new one. and i dont want to sell my original 3ds until i know for sure they will stop selling original 3ds games.

3 minutes ago, Skye said:

so like..the only question i have for this is will they stop selling original nintendo 3ds games eventually? bc i still have an original 3ds and not the new one. and i dont want to sell my original 3ds until i know for sure they will stop selling original 3ds games.

Chances are only a select few games will actually make use of the expanded RAM and hardware capabilities of New 3DS, so you probably aren't in any immediate need to upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

One game that's an absolute fucking mess on the old 3DS variants is Hyrule Warriors Legends, but that's the only one I can think of where it really SHOULD have been new exclusive. I expect the same for Fire Emblem Warriors.

So...Do I have any reason to get this if I already have a New 3DS XL? Cause I'm not gonna lie, this thing looks pretty sweet. I kinda want it, but I don't know if I NEED it.

From what the website says, it's just as powerful as the New 3DS XL instead of being more powerful, so I wouldn't really be upgrading, would I?

Looks sick. I like that design, might pick one instead of Switch. I hope Mania gets released for this in the future...and 2DS/3DS family will be supported with more games for longer now.

That's a really nice design, and a great improvement over the original one...

nintendo-doorstop1.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

So...Do I have any reason to get this if I already have a New 3DS XL? Cause I'm not gonna lie, this thing looks pretty sweet. I kinda want it, but I don't know if I NEED it.

From what the website says, it's just as powerful as the New 3DS XL instead of being more powerful, so I wouldn't really be upgrading, would I?

To the contrary, it would be quite the downgrade.  The 2DS is meant to be a more affordable alternative to the 3DS that has fewer bells and whistles, and the New 2DS XL is no different.  If you already have a New 3DS XL, you already have the "best" model so there's no real need to buy this.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 hours ago, Skye said:

The New 3DS (and thus New 2DS) are backwards compatible, so I don't know if that would be an issue.  Upgrade if you want the New-improved games, don't if you don't.

7 hours ago, Conando said:

One game that's an absolute fucking mess on the old 3DS variants is Hyrule Warriors Legends, but that's the only one I can think of where it really SHOULD have been new exclusive. I expect the same for Fire Emblem Warriors.

I think FE Warriors has already been confirmed to be New-exclusive; they learnt from HW Legends.

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

Wow, that is actually pretty nice-looking.  It seems the Liquid Metal Slime texture actually protrudes, too, it's not just a flat pattern.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Skye said:

As Tara already said, it's unlikely to be an issue. Nintendo did the same thing with the DSi previously. Select games required the increased processing power or camera of the DSi, so they wouldn't run on older models. And a few games were able to take advantage of the DSi's processing power if played on the system, but were able to run on the older models as well. One example is Sonic Classic Collection. It suffered from pretty poor slowdown on the DS and DS Lite, but was mostly fine on the DSi (and 3DS). 

Currently, there aren't many N3DS exclusives. You've got the entire SNES VC library, Xenoblade and some downloadable titles. There are more titles, like Hyrule Warriors, that play better on the N3DS but will still work on the older models as well. Chances are that they won't stop selling original 3DS games. To do so would be limiting their consumer base immensely by forcing people to make a partial upgrade. The N3DS hardware is only a partial step-up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh. This certainly came outta nowhere. If I hadn't just upgraded my New 3DS to an XL recently, then I probably would've gone for this as a replacement. Ah well.

I like the design of it, too. Glad to see a 2DS with a properly portable design, and the colour choices aren't bad either (I prefer the White/Orange combo personally). Looks like it's aiming for a price range of around £130-£135 here in the UK, which seems fair.