Awoo.

Whatever happened to Dimps?

Blazey Firekitty

For the longest time they kept showing up as the "backup" development team for Sonic, mostly for handhelds, but with in recent years it seems like they've become obsolete. Will there ever be a reason for Sega to hire them back?

16 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

in recent years it seems like they've become obsolete. 

They made the awesome Freedom Wars, a number of Dragon Ball games and it seems they also had a hand in Street Fighter V.

They've not become obsolete by a long shot.

• Thumbs Up 4

They just released this last week.

270?cb=20160707114234

It's getting quite solid reviews (7.5's are the norm) and I have to say, Dimps are better making fighting games than platformers. If Sega ever needed a fighting game, they should go to them.

The quality track record with Dimps' Sonic games is akin to their level design philosophy.

Assisted by a steady string of dash panels along the way, it steadily accelerates downhill into bottomless pits.

• Thumbs Up 6

They just haven't been needed for the last three years. The Sonic Boom handhelds were given to Sanzaru likely because SoA want Boom to stay with Western development, and the Mario and Sonic series developers have their own department for handheld work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And well since 2017 isn't confirmed to be on any handhelds at the moment (Gens was announced on the 3DS later after the initial announcement), let's work with what they would do if there is no handheld version for 2017.

Maybe SEGA will them to make more games off the Advance or Rush series or maybe, Dimps run with Sonic has ended.

They currently aren't needed. The last few handheld Sonic games have been developed by different people.

I don't think they're done with Sonic, though. They'll probably develop a handheld version of Project 2017 if a handheld version ever gets annouced later. Really wish they would be able to make an original handheld game instead of a handheld version of Sonic Team's console game again, though.

Tbh, I think it's time Sega found a developer that doesn't somehow manage to make each sequal of its game worse. 

Sure, Sanzaru made shit games and Sonic boom F&I is mostly decent,  but at least they improve. 

Not that I don't dream of a Sonic Rush 3. 

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

They just released this last week.

270?cb=20160707114234

It's getting quite solid reviews (7.5's are the norm) and I have to say, Dimps are better making fighting games than platformers. If Sega ever needed a fighting game, they should go to them.

A new sonic fighter hell yea

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, looks like I've been way out of the loop. XD; Thanks for the update everyone, looks like Dimps has made lots of things I'd like to play eventually. Hopefully if they ever return to Sonic they'll have learned from the issues with Sonic 4.

Sonic 4 aside (which i really didn't care for or hate)

the Sonic Advance/Rush games were what 2D fans were asking for,  and they were essentially the proper evolution (the Advance games,) from the Genesis ones (Sonic Mania, to me is denial of the Advance games.) until revisionist history happened at some point, and now most people are denying their possible satisfaction of the Advance games just because of character design purposes, lol.

i would appreciate, if there was another 2D Sonic game like Colors DS, simply for the character interaction in the cutscenes in that game.   

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Sonic & SEGA All-Star Smash?

no, leave other sega characters out of it, i said "sonic fighter" not sega fighter

2 hours ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

no, leave other sega characters out of it, i said "sonic fighter" not sega fighter

Well, it's not like Sega doesn't use other Sega characters in Sonic titled spin-off games. 

I'm expecting at least Ulala and Nights. 

Maybe Sega could test the waters with a mostly Sonic themed Smash clone at first(Probably with a small amount of characters from other IPs like Sniper suggested), and then go full Sega All Stars for the sequel.

Would be great to see Axel Stone or Blaze Fielding again.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly wouldn't want it to be a Smash clone, since there's already a huge amount of them, and I got kinda bored with the Smash formula. I feel they should make a game similar to Power Stone, as you don't see much games like it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, going with Power Stone's more 3D approach to the party fighting game could be fun, and a good nod to the Dreamcast era.

• Thumbs Up 2

Smash, Rumble, Brawl, Meyer, Smackdown, whatever. I'm fine with whatever kind they use, but I think continuing the All-Stars line would be good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Fighters 2 with all the characters from the first one with a few new playables added like Vector, Rouge, Shadow, and Blaze. YES please, dimps would do that so good ?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Advance and Rush games, while far from perfect, were arguably very high-quality. Heck, I still think Rush Adventure is one of my favorite Sonic games of all time.

I personally feel that Dimps started losing touch when they were forced to make halfhearted versions of console Sonic games instead of being allowed to keep putting out original work. Of course one can't know for sure the politics behind the scenes, but they've shown through their DBZ games that they're a very competent company. They just need the proper direction and creative freedom.

I'd be glad to give them another chance if the circumstances were right. I know they can do great work.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dimps haven't been the same since they were forced to make the handheld downgrades rather than original handheld games, a task which has now seemingly been handed off to Sanzaru.  (I recall someone once producing a credits analysis suggesting that they literally weren't the same and that there were a lot of staff changes.)  I felt like they were one game away from producing an amazing Sonic DS game, but it's interesting that their demotion from producing original material more or less coincided with the main games starting to use some of their ideas - 2D segments, Boost, even tricks...  Perhaps there was a feeling in Sonic Team that it made sense to unify their console and handheld output.  Of course, that must also have been determined by the fact that Rush Adventure flopped hard in a way I've never seen adequately explained.  I miss them at their best.  They may not have been making real Classic games, but nobody expected them to until they were handed Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

Of course, that must also have been determined by the fact that Rush Adventure flopped hard in a way I've never seen adequately explained.  I miss them at their best.  

This has always been shocking to me. If I remember right, Rush Adventure got good reviews, it was praised just like the first Rush game. It just didn't sell. It's such a shame too, Rush Adventure is definitely one of the best games this series has seen.

• Thumbs Up 2