Awoo.

Sonic characters and age

Milo

Do you think that we really need to know the exact age/age group of Sonic characters?

You can also suggest what age you think Sonic characters should be...inb4someonesaysAmyshouldbeoldersothatSonicwouldn'tbemarkedapedo

But seriously....keep it clean about the age choice thing....

Do you think that we really need to know the exact age/age group of Sonic characters?

• Thumbs Up 2

The same is true in reverse. We need to know that Rouge is an adult so we don’t take some of her actions and mannerisms as offensive. We probably don’t need the luxury of exact ages, but simple storytelling runs into a hitch without the ability to infer ages onto characters.

But Rouge is 18, hardly an adult.

No. According to Sonic Channel, she's 17.

Edited by Ishtar

The Sonic characters have more datas (age, size, etc) and personality than, say, Mario characters. That was probably to make the Sonic universe feel more "complete" in comparison to the Mario universe. And the characters have enough personality to have it being related to their age.

The Mario characters don't have a particular age and you're supposed to use your imagination to fill the holes (although Mario & Luigi 2 hints Mario and Luigi could be in their early 20's). It's because the games' universe isn't too tought about, as what matters more than anything is the game to be long (at least longer than Sonic games, that feel more or less like arcade games) and fun (and that the fun lasts for the whole game, obviously).

So, yeah, age does matter in the Sonic series IMO. Sonic characters have enough personality to have a given age.

How the characters come off to me

Sonic - an immature 23 year old.

Tails - a mature 12 year old.

Knuckles - in his thirties.

Eggman - in his fourties.

Amy - either age fourteen or sixteen.

Cream - six year old ( and I think this is the correct age... )

Big - late twenties, but a lack of human interaction in the jungle makes him seem "slow"

Vector - Late Thirties.

Espio - Early Thirties.

Charmy - immature twelve year old.

Shadow - nope.

Rouge - mid thirties.

And that's just my impression from the heroes. I know most of those are way off the mark.

Since i always interpreted Sonic as being a young adult (probably in his early 20's) back when i played Sonic Adventure, i always thought 15 was a bit too young for Sonic once i did find out his official age. Same deal with most other characters; i thought Amy was the same age as Sonic, Knuckles was maybe in his 30's, and Tails around 12-13, and so finding out their official ages was a big "say whaaaat?"-kind of moment.

I wouldn't mind it if Sega just aged up all the characters with maybe 5 years. Let's see now, that would make Sonic 20, Tails 13, Amy 17, Knuckles and Espio 21, Cream and Charmy 12, Rouge 23, Silver and Blaze 19, and Vector 25. Sounds pretty appropriate to me (albeit still a bit to young for certain characters...). Even Vector being the head of his own detective agency becomes a little more credible with him having a few years to get some education on the subject.

Edited by batson

It's typical for main characters to actually be younger than their personalities suggest. I often see this in anime but also in other cartoons. Characters like Gohan from DBZ, Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed, Ben 10 in his more recent series and the Robins from Batman cartoons all show maturity for their age, which I suppose you could put down to their experiences. I think the Sonic cast are fine in the age ranges they are. Still I feel if Sonic Team are doing this then they should look at increasing the ages every few games, or it just seems a bit pointless. It's unrealistic if they all stay the same age for 10 years or however long.

No. According to Sonic Channel, she's 17.

Nope.

In regards to the topic at hand; do we really need to know the exact ages of the characters featured within the Sonic the Hedgehog series? Of course we don't, but it is nice to have these various tidbits of definitive information pertaining to the characters so readily available. This way fans aren't left haphazardly guessing at the character's ages and getting into arguments over what number is the correct one.

As for my opinion as to what the characters' ages should be? I'm perfectly fine with what they are now! I would like to see a specified age for Eggman, but I doubt we're going to see that happen anytime soon.

i think the ages are

sonic 30 years old

tails 14 years old

knuckles 42 years old

amy 28 years old

rouge 30 years old

cream 13 years old

eggman 80 years old (dead during the events of sonic generations)

espio 23 years old

vector 32 years old

charmy 13 years old

big 53 years old

sliver 15 in sonic 06 40 in generations

blaze 15 in sonic 06 40 and killed by amy in sonic generations

• Thumbs Up 2

Edited by Lungo

The Sonic characters have more datas (age, size, etc) and personality than, say, Mario characters. That was probably to make the Sonic universe feel more "complete" in comparison to the Mario universe. And the characters have enough personality to have it being related to their age.

The Mario characters don't have a particular age and you're supposed to use your imagination to fill the holes (although Mario & Luigi 2 hints Mario and Luigi could be in their early 20's). It's because the games' universe isn't too tought about, as what matters more than anything is the game to be long (at least longer than Sonic games, that feel more or less like arcade games) and fun (and that the fun lasts for the whole game, obviously).

So, yeah, age does matter in the Sonic series IMO. Sonic characters have enough personality to have a given age.

Woah what.

XD The girl has no luck. That's the second time (ignoring the time erasure blabla). Oh well, at least she has 7 or 8 lives left.

Not to be taken serious like.

ok since you are wondering why eggman is dead he died of old age after the events of colors. no worrys though when sonic gets sent back in time eggman is brought back to life by amy to stop sonic.

as for blazes death rouge gave birth to her and sliver after getting married to sonic but when she is 6 years old amy kills rouge and sonic. then blaze tries to save them and fails killing her.

Edited by krvavi563108

Well this is an amusing thread. It seems most folks still don't know the actual canon character ages. (Explains a lot.)

For whatever reason, I remember all of these off-hand, so without further ado:

Sonic - 15

Eggman - [unknown]

Tails - 8

Knuckles - 16

Amy - 12

Shadow - ~50

Rouge - 18

Big - 18

Cream - 6

Vector - 20

Espio - 17

Charmy - 6

Elise - 17

I'm not familiar with the Sonic Riders spinoffs but IIRC the Babylon Rogues are all between 15 and 20.

Eggman's age has never been stated, but based on his character and the fact that he remembers his grandfather he's probably somewhere in his 50s.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

Eggman's age has never been stated, but based on his character and the fact that he remembers his grandfather he's probably somewhere in his 50s.

I can name each of the Rogues's age. Can't remember where I last read them but I think I know.

Jet: 14

Wave: 18

Storm: 19

Just to set things straight. Canonical ages;

6 years - Cream, Charmy.

7 years - Marine.

8 years - Tails.

12 years - Amy, Maria.

14 years - Jet, Tikal, Silver, Blaze,

15 years - Sonic.

16 years - Knuckles, Espio.

18 years - Rouge, Big, Wave.

19 years - Storm.

20 years - Vector.

52 years - Pachacamac.

If Eggman knew Gerald when he was still alive (As strongly implied) and if Gerald was killed 50 years ago very soon after the ARK Incident then that implies that Eggman is over the age of 50. Vanilla's age is pretty ambiguous. I'm inclined to think that she is actually middle-aged and birthed Cream at a fairly "moderate" age because of her mannerisms and poise, I just get the impression of middle age from Vanilla, probably late 30's - early 40's.

I never get any impression that Eggman is anything younger than early fifties. My own speculation in Concept: "Mobius"'s REAL Eggman character profile is that he is between 55-60 taking into account his baldness and looks as well as the implication that he knew Gerald. Male Pattern Baldness could run in the Robotnik family for all I know, making Eggman look older than what he actually is though.

Edited by Verte

I can imagine the characters being 3 years older from their official ages.

Sonic: 18

Tails: 11-12

Amy: 15

Knuckles: 19

Shadow: ???

Rouge: 20-21

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm inclined to take Pickle's Griffsistant calling Eggman an old man as a hint that he's probably over 50. If anyone in the main cast aside from maybe Rouge or Vector called him that I'd probably just chalk it up to them not having much perspective because they're kids, but Pickle's assisstant seems to be a university-educated adult. I figure he'd know.

I dunno; I just really like the idea of li'l Ivo having actually met Gerald or even Maria, if she got to spend much time on Earth before she was diagnosed with NIDS ...seriously, Sonic Team?. That might give Eggman and Shadow something to talk about that isn't taking over the world and/or AM I THE REAL SHADOW, actually, and I always approve of that sort of thing.

Speaking of Pickle...

Otto in the 360/PS3 version states that he and Pickle have known each other for over 80 years! He says this piece of dialogue before you go to Eggmanland. This states that Otto and Professor Pickle are indeed over the age of 80. Old fella's doing well, still teaching archaeology. Maybe it's all that tea and cucumber sandwiches.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I think this is perfect.

Yeah, I don't really think Sonic is 15. I'm not sure why, but I do think it might be because of his voice, he just sounds... older. With all of his voice actors, I just don't think it sounds right xD Oh and jeez no, I'm not saying I don't like them, I do, and I think they fit him and his personality perfectly. I also find it hard to believe that Tails is 8, I think 12 is a much more reasonable age.

i think the ages are

sonic 30 years old

tails 14 years old

knuckles 42 years old

amy 28 years old

rouge 30 years old

cream 13 years old

espio 23 years old

vector 32 years old

charmy 13 years old

big 53 years old

sliver 15 in sonic 06 40 in generations

blaze 15 in sonic 06 40 and killed by amy in sonic generations

This is the funniest post I've seen in a long time, thanks for the laugh!

I don't care about ages really, their personalities could reflect their age one way or another but it wouldn't change anything for me.