Awoo.

Your (least) favorite Sonic model?

Match

The unbelievably ugly shading and hideous jaggies of the Sonic Heroes model makes it an obvious contender for my least favourite, especially seeing as - unlike the Sonic Xtreme 32X and Sonic Rush models - it had no technical excuse to be any worse looking than the fantastic Sonic Adventure 2 model.

• Thumbs Up 2

My least favorites are the Sonic '06 one, Heroes & Shadow, SADX box, and the first 2 Riders games.

The '06 one-

First off, the characters look like they're shaking all the time, even if they're standing still. It really creeps me out. Second, Sonic is a light shade of blue, and I mean a really light shade of blue, and paired with the lighting on top of the quills, it looks really weird. Third, when the camera gets really close to Sonic's eyes, they look kinda creepy (See Sonic at 1:07 in this video:

).

Heroes & Shadow-

The models are too shiny, and the fingers come to a point instead of being round. That's really the only complaints I have. (The reason Heroes & Shadow are together is because I have the same opinions about both and I thought I'd just combine them to save time).

SADX box-

He has this really, and I mean really, creepy look on his face.

The first 2 Riders games-

His eyes, they just, creep me out. They're really big with little irises, and it makes him look weird.

Yeah glad I didn't notice that Sonic 06's model changed entirely at the last cutscene, I actually liked it there. But I don't think that was an in-game one (or is "real time" the correct term?), right? It was one of those pre-recorded ones. Otherwise I thought it was a bit awkward in the in-game cutscenes. =/

I also agree with the SA2 ones, because I thought the Soaps were too big for his noodle legs, haha. Sonic Heroes is probably my least favorite, the color was unnaturally oily/saturated looking and they accentuated his "eyebrows," it was weird.

I think the Unleashed/Colors look is perfect though, nice proportions, good color, yeah.

Sonic 06, because to me, they tried to make him look more "realistic" to fit in with all the humans and such(not a good thing). Also, i think the proportions are off.

06' model, but just the in-game rendered one.

Sure, he still looks lanky in the CGI cutscenes, but it actually looks more well-done.

Don't really care for the Riders model, looks okay to me. :unsure:

The Heroes models look utterly disgusting to me.

Perhaps it's because I hate the game so much, but I never was fond of the models in that game. Except Neo Metal Sonic. He looks bad-ass.

My favorite would have to be Unleashed. He has the best of both worlds: he looks sleek, cool, bad-ass, awesome, and has a retro-feel that actually doesn't look awkward (looking at you, Heroes, and your too shiny models).

My least favorite models are probably the Heroes ones. There are certain times where they looked cute and other times where they looked disastrous. I don't know if its because the head-to-body ratio on them was all screwed up or what, but regardless, there were plenty of times where they became unappealing and unbalanced. The promotional CGI models fared no better. Very ugly looks on their faces.

Also, I'll never understand DX in-game model hate. I like it better than the original DC model.

My least favorite models are the in-game ones from both Heroes and Shadow. The characters' skins are as shiny as metal instead of the more subtle approach from Adventure/2, Next-Gen, and the current games since Unleashed. The proportions are good, but dull down the implausible shine, and I'm all good. :)

My most favorite is the current one that's been featured since Unleashed. It retains the proportions of Modern Sonic, yet borrows pieces and subtleties from the Classic one and has melded into one. There's a great reason why it's very popular and well-liked: It's VERY well-done with careful attention to Modern Sonic's anatomy. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

Heh, there's some parts in SADX (Ice Cap, I think, not sure if glitch or not) where Sonic's model looked cel-shaded. It looked pretty damn good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite: Any model with the black eyes. You know, the REAL Sonic that everyone loves and was succesful.

Hated: any model with green eyes. You know, the fake hentai Sonic that nobody likes and stars in bad games.

20110128203738!Trollface.png

I kid

Edited by Gartocer
  • Thumbs Up 9

I guess the ingame Heroes models. Mostly because they're so small that they don't allow for better and more advanced animations. Shadow's game improved the animations but they're still so damn puny that they just made me miss the badass look that SA2's models and animations had, more.

The first time I saw the Sonic's ingame Riders model I was happy. But when looking at the cutscenes it just still didn't match up to SA2's models. The only time Sonic looked good in Riders was when he was racing or running after losing air. After a while I realized everybody's faces are too small in that game.

Sonic 06's models I like much better than Riders. Tails, Rouge and Amy's models are just the best looking models I've seen in the entire franchise. Other characters like Shadow and Knux have the same problems they had in Riders (Faces too small).

Still the facial animation for everyone was lacking. That and some of the characters face sizes is what really hurt the models for me, not the lankiness. If they just made everyone more lively, it would have made a huge difference.

The Unleashed model is technially superior in terms of the smoothness and taking advanctage of next gen polygon counts, but it just doesn't have that badass look that I miss. His brows aren't exagerrated, his shoes aren't bendy, his muzzle isn't thin and wide.

Pretty much all post-Dreamcast up until Unleashed really improved upon it. Heroes models were too shiny, saturated and oddly short. '06 then did the opposite and put them on the stretcher.

My least favorite would be the ones used in 06 (mainly because of the proportions, which just seem off to me) and Heroes (Too short, plus while I might understand the girls and maybe the reptiles having the shiny look there is no reason for the guys to have that one, plus the tentacle-like quills always scared the hell out of me)

On the other hand I really love the Unleashed model since pretty much it's the ideal balance between apects from the classic and modern Sonic (even if during the intro Sonic transformed into Arnie from the Hsu & Chan comic strip)

The Sonic 06 model, definitely. Way too lanky and angry-looking, lacking in all of the charm of Sonic's character. The Sonic Riders model comes as a close second, those proportions... ugh. >_<

My favorite would probably be either the Unleashed/Generations model or the very original Sonic Adventure model (on the Dreamcast, not SADX).

Sonic3DBox.png

May he stare into your soul...

I'm no fan of Sonic's redesign, but thank goodness they didn't do it like that :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic3DBox.png

I'm no fan of Sonic's redesign, but thank goodness they didn't do it like that :P

TBH, I actually find Sonic 06's model to be good in the HQ cutscenes but absoloutly terrible in-game. That being said, I'd have to say my least fav model is in sonic spinball. He looked atrotious-ESPECIALLY when you got an emerald.

Edited by SuperKing

I cannot overstate how awful I find Sonic's model in '06. Almost every character looked worse than usual in that game, but Sonic in particular was lanky and awkward and horrible and his giant arms and tentacle spines flopped around whenever he talked in cutscenes and aaaaaaaargh. I'm normally a tolerant, understanding kind of guy, and I try to always accept that everyone has different taste than me, but I simply refuse to believe that there are people who actually enjoyed that model. It's impossible.

...I do have to concur that he looked much better in the pre-rendered cutscenes, though, at least most of the time. Were his proportions actually different in those cutscenes, or was it just the better animation picking up the slack?

Sonic3DBox.png

EEEEEK!!

I completely forgot about it! The first time I saw this in late-1997, I nearly had a heart attack. It looked like an evil Sonic.

Yeah, remember my post when I said Heroes was my least favorite model? Scratch that. THIS is my least favorite!

I think the Sonic 06 model still looks good and I thought it was absolutely fantastic during its time. Ah well.

My least favorite model has to be from Sonic Heroes. It's horrible.

Edited by Chooch

The modern model we got today. I prefered the sonic adventure 2's and sonic advances modern sonic better. It's the long quills and his lengthy proportions which throw me off the most. His quills should be slightly shortened and his legs arms as well

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The modern model we got today. I prefered the sonic adventure 2's and sonic advances modern sonic better. It's the long quills and his lengthy proportions which throw me off the most. His quills should be slightly shortened and his legs arms as well

Basically you want the classic model.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Favorite: Any model with the black eyes. You know, the REAL Sonic that everyone loves and was succesful.

Hated: any model with green eyes. You know, the fake hentai Sonic that nobody likes and stars in bad games.

20110128203738!Trollface.png

I kid

I lol'd.

Sonic3DBox.png

He looks like he's been posessed by Satan....