Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

Ahahaha, wow.

If you die in Radical Train after hitting the first checkpoint, you're fucked. The train spawns at the start of the level, and you can't get back to the first switch.

This game is just as much an undefendable piece of garbage as the game that spawned it. Stop glorifying it with this "oh but they spent four years making it" bullshit, because in no way do they actually deserve any kind of praise if it was effort spent deliberately making the game as terrible to play as the original.

Wait... if they put alot of effort into making it bad...wouldn't that mean they put no effort into it at all?*

*Brain has stopped and may not be functioning until belly is filled. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Wait... if they put alot of effort into making it bad...wouldn't that mean they put no effort into it at all?*

*Brain has stopped and may not be functioning until belly is filled. We apologize for the inconvenience.

No. Sonic 06 is a hilarious masterpiece of awful.

An accurate recreation of that shitfest in 2D must have taken a bizarre attention to poor details and an absolutely horrific amount of time spent playing the nightmare that started it all.

What I'm saying is, making good games is hard work. It takes a lot of time, effort, and knowledge to make something good. Bad games, therefore, take less T/E/K to complete, and thus are more likely to be completed than good ones.

Also true.

Because it's a necessity for making a good game.

And while they succeeded in that goal, they failed to make a good game.

And that's the thing; designing a good product requires effort. That is the point that they failed at. Instead of designing a good game, they duplicated a crappy one. Rather than trying to fix its problems, they replicated them. They did not expend the effort necessary to design a good game.

One last thing, developing a game requires for the developers to set a goal in mind right? A good game is spawned from Since the developers goal was to set this as exactly the same as a poorly programmed piece of crap, then it is obvious that their goal is flawed, not their effort, so before making a fangame with such incredible effort, think of the goal you set in mind and say, "hurr durr, I'm replicating a broken game to a tee. Whoopsie!"

Yeah, that was a petty reason for debate, but I'm petty and I don't like disliking things for the wrong reasons. These guys wasted all this effort on a stupid goal that was flawed in the beginning.

Why do people keep touting this "effort" argument as if it's supposed to be a point in this game's favour? An entire decade's worth of effort didn't stop Duke Nukem Forever from largely sucking, so I really fail to see how that shouldn't apply here, especially considering this is a game far worse than DNF could ever hope to be. Irrespective of the soul that went into the game, it was poured into emulating a myriad of terrible design decisions instead of... oh fuck, I dunno, any logical thought of decent game design. That in itself is a form of laziness, in that they've decided to emulate the game in ways that clearly, CLEARLY don't work to the game's benefit even though the solution to many of these problems is extremely obvious.

This game is just as much an undefendable piece of garbage as the game that spawned it. Stop glorifying it with this "oh but they spent four years making it" bullshit, because in no way do they actually deserve any kind of praise if it was effort spent deliberately making the game as terrible to play as the original.

Oh stuff it and eat a bar of soap. I am not glorifying anything. I hate this game as much as you do. I just don't like disliking something for the wrong reasons.

If I let out the wrong message then I am sorry, but I'd suggest you wait for me to finish my argument before jumping to conclusions.

Oh stuff it and eat a bar of soap. I am not glorifying anything. I hate this game as much as you do. I just don't like disliking something for the wrong reasons.
I wasn't actually referring to you, so you can kindly go eat a dick for jumping to conclusions like that. =)

Although really, I don't see anyone hating the game for any wrong reason here. One way or another, a shit game was made. Are we not allowed to hate on it for being a shit game?

No. Bad is not solely the absence of good; to be truly objectionable, actions must be taken, and actions require effort. Take for example the best worst comic on the web: Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. This is a comic that strives to be terrible in every aspect. And you damn sure don't get jpeg artifacts that bad by accident.

Of course, since SBaHJ is knowingly and intentionally bad, and that is the joke (in simplest terms), it's hilarious. '062D is an apparently 100% earnest tribute to '06, which just makes it sad.

One last thing, developing a game requires for the developers to set a goal in mind right?
Figuring out the right goal to pursue requires time, effort, and knowledge.

Figuring out the right goal to pursue requires time, effort, and knowledge.

I'd argue that that is a separate subject altogether, but I think we've come to a strange agreement here.

I wasn't actually referring to you, so you can kindly go eat a dick for jumping to conclusions like that. =)

Although really, I don't see anyone hating the game for any wrong reason here. One way or another, a shit game was made. Are we not allowed to hate on it for being a shit game?

Unless someone else here went to the petty levels to make an argument on the efforts of the I don't see who else you could be talking to. :) That's probably seventeen bars worth for you.

Yes, hate it for being a piece of shit, but hating the effort that was made is just silly. Especially after looking at the horribly creepy, and excruciatingly terrible designs of all the levels which pretty much fit their 3D counterparts to a tee. Not to mention the really well put together bosses (on a presentation standpoint.)

Unless someone else here went to the petty levels to make an argument on the efforts of the I don't see who else you could be talking to. smile.png That's probably seventeen bars worth for you.
Let's not forget the YT commenters that these guys are apparently getting the majority of their support from.

Yes, hate it for being a piece of shit, but hating the effort that was made is just silly.
No it isn't, because it's clear right from the start that it is effort misguided and misused from the first draft all the way to present day. You can't find treasure by polishing a turd, so I fail to see why anyone should care about the effort spent towards replicating gameplay flaws, especially if it's not even in a self-parody so-bad-it's-good kind of way.

The entire point of a game is to entertain. Regardless of what the team's intention was, if the game doesn't entertain, then it defeats the entire purpose of making a game. There is literally no other way you can spin this, and your insistence on defending the team over its accuracy to a crap game simply baffles me.

Let's not forget the YT commenters that these guys are apparently getting the majority of their support from.

No it isn't, because it's clear right from the start that it is effort misguided and misused from the first draft all the way to present day. You can't find treasure by polishing a turd, so I fail to see why anyone should care about the effort spent towards replicating gameplay flaws, especially if it's not even in a self-parody so-bad-it's-good kind of way.

The entire point of a game is to entertain. Regardless of what the team's intention was, if the game doesn't entertain, then it defeats the entire purpose of making a game. There is literally no other way you can spin this, and your insistence on defending the team over its accuracy to a crap game simply baffles me.

Ah, you didn't specify well enough. So I'm sorry for responding to you so quickly.

I care about effort because it shows that these guys have drive, and that drive could have been used for something better than this misguided trash. The fact that they went to such excruciating lengths to make such drivel makes me sad and pity them most of all. Here we have some graphic designers who really worked too hard to make obvious trash. For fully employed game designers, this would be unacceptable, but for fangame makers, that just makes me shake my head and sigh. The problem is that these guys thought it wasn't trash, and put more effort than any project with this goal deserved. That is just terrible.

It's like Waterworld was for me. A waste of a lot of effort.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Ive never seen this much hate for a 2D Sonic game since Generations 3DS.

Quite surreal, really

People definitely hate this more than Generations 3DS.

People definitely hate this more than Generations 3DS.

Considering its base material and apparently what little effort was dedicated to fixing said base material's problems (according to everyone else, I wouldn't know, haven't played), its not surprising.

Ive never seen this much hate for a 2D Sonic game since Generations 3DS.

Quite surreal, really

Considering what they were trying to replicate. It's not a surprise at all.

Ninja'd

Edited by VisionaryBlur

I say we all just drop this and forget about it. Basically, some dudes spent years on doing something but it was on replicating something we all hated so they wasted their time and effort. Screw those guys. Try to defend any part of what they did and you're retarded, even if you're not defending the product at all but the dudes themselves and their potential to make better stuff. Go think about what you did you vile creature, I can't believe your behavior, yada yada yada.

Oooor we can just keep this going for the next 10 pages, that's fine too, I'll just be over here on my lawn-chair, watching from a distance. At this point the winners and losers of this argument are already decided. As for the underdog side that I was secretly on and rooting for, I'll admit defeat. For a final thought, If I were them though, I wouldn't have replicated the glitches of all things, that was just dumb.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jesus christ skewered on a kebob. This happens with every god damn 2D game that's released, official or fanmade. It's nobody's job here to tell either side that they're full of shit. So, shut up.

Saw the topic early this afternoon, read the thread, downloaded the game, played it, made it to the end of Sonic's story, and Ragequit, and all I can say is two things.

1.Dutsy Desert, YOU'RE TEARING ME APART INSTA-DEATH SAND!

2.Fuck you Flame Core, just....fuck you.

Overall, Bravo! Can't really say anything bad, since their intentions were to replicate the original game, and well...they did it. So.....congrats at making a bad game... even worse?

All I know is that I've never uninstalled something faster before in my entire life. Put half the files in the recycle bin and deleted that sucka to death. I even searched up google to see if there was a way to delete things that you deleted from you recycle bin.