Awoo.

Sonic 2 Hamley badges

Badnik Mechanic

I would like to introduce to you some new/old Sonic merchandise thats not particually well documented yet both cool and strange at the same time.

Some of this information came from SonicGear.org however, given what I have in my posession, I think that they may need a re-write as according to SonicGear, theres only 4... alas I have 6, and theres a 7th one on the site not in my current collection.. so 7... COR! Just like the chaos emeralds.

collection.jpg

During the time of Sonic 2, Hamleys in London had an arcade machine that would dispence prizes, and these prizes were (again according to SG.org) quite rare due to them being available only as random prizes, in the set I've got, it seems that the previous owner was quite lucky in getting the professor Robotnik one as theres around 4 of them in the total set I aquired.

They're really well made, as durable as a typical badge, but the artwork/printing has not lost any quality at all over time, chances are they were kept out of direct sunlight (a shoebox in a wardrobe would be my guess) but theres no scratches either which makes them in quite prime condition.

As far as I can see, they're definately official, they've got the official sega copywrite stuff on the side, as well as being licensed out by to a company called C.P.L.

They're also a tad strange as far as Sonic merchandise goes, just because some of the scenes on the badges appear amazingly random.

Instead of Doctor, or even plain Robotnik... Professor Robotnik?

HamleysButton1.jpg

We've also got some very strange artwork, look at this one of Sonic running... even though the perspective is odd, Sonic just looks strange in general.

HamleysButton2.jpg

(I do not own this one, this one was on the Sonicgear website)

Tails too, he just looks a tad... brainless...

And then there are these two...

The first one, I guess Sonic and Tails have been running, and Sonic's feet have gotten very hot, so he's blowing on them to cool them down... Thats what I think they wanted to show... But when you look at it again, the way Tails is standing, why does he look like he's farting in Sonic's face?

fartbadge.jpg

And then theres this...

bjbadge.jpg

Now, at no point in Sonic 2 is there any hint that Tails chats with Robotnik or Robotnik attempts to control him... the only example I can think of is the second ever issue of Fleetway when Robotnik makes tails fight against Sonic when he captures him and turns him into a badnik.

So I guess the idea was that Robotnik was going to capture Tails...

Yet, no matter how hard I try I cannot shake these two words when I look at this. Blow, and Job. It maybe my frisky mind... but why does that look like Tails is going to... urm... no... I'll leave it to your own imagination.

So then, does anyone else have these or know anymore about them, like if they were for sale/prizes outside of Hamleys? I know I've seen some in readers pictures to Fleetway, so I guess that they must have been in a few places outside of the... urm... the.... peoples republic of shopping at Hamley's area?

Your thoughts?

Edited by Casanova

The Professor Robotnik one made me happy. THANK YOU (you know why!) and those badges are really rather gorgeous!

You can tell in the Robotnik getting a good blow from Tails the words "Get a load of this" are springing to mind. XD

Otherwise awesome collection Cas and I look forward to seeing more of your collectables. =D

• Thumbs Up 1

!!! This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff that I collect, and I am so insanely jealous right now :\ Arghhhh.

I have no idea where these came from or their history, but they're very similar in style to the Sonic pogs I have.

And yes. Tails giving Robotnik a blow-job is exactly what I thought of when I saw that one badge. Dear God. x.x

Yet, no matter how hard I try I cannot shake these two words when I look at this. Blow, and Job. It maybe my frisky mind... but why does that look like Tails is going to... urm... no... I'll leave it to your own imagination.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one who thought this as well...or are we both just sick? Either way its very interesting to see some of the old merchendise and I look forward to seeing more of it.

bjbadge.jpg
OHGOD.png

You know, people should really learn to not make images of characters facing a taller character's waistline.

Oh, and inb4 PINGAS.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich

In the one where Sonic and Tails are together, I can't help but imagine Tails saying "Sonic, please be gentle. It is my first time."

lol those are very cool but...how did they get away with the Eggman badge lol XD did no one question it?

Even with official merchandise you tend to get mistakes like that. My little sister has a Rugrats hat that depicts several of the main characters. Most of them have the wrong colored hair or clothes. I think that the people that check those things aren't at all familiar with the source material. D:

My Sonic 2 jacket has a patch on it that says "Professor Robotnik" rather than "Doctor Robotnik". I think a lot of older merch called him that, for some reason.

Well, of course, this was all way before the whole concept of Gerald, Maria, etc was even dreamed up. Eggman didn't have much of a history and I'm sure the people responsible just figured any old 'smart guy' title would be okay and that 'professor' and 'doctor' were interchangable.

I own that Tails one. Not the Eggman blowjob one, but the one with just the large pic of Tails.

It's the damn coolest thing to ever exist.

Really, i've got it on my orange and yellow backpack. It's like, a perfect thing.

The one with Tails and Eggman makes me cringe inside however.

Eeeew.

collection.jpg

Is it me....or does tails have a really, really, Really huge forehead on the center bottom pin?

He looks much better on the bottom right pin.

I wonder if I can find these anywhere. Alternatively, I wonder whereabouts in Hull Casanova lives... and what other shiny retro Sonic stuff he has that I can steal >>;

Looking at the badges there, there must be another one. We've got one that says Professor Robotnik and Tails... but we do not have a Sonic one, surely there must be one as it would fit in line with the theme that the badges have been given?

As for where these badges can be found... I got these off Ebay... but there are no others on there right now.

Reason for edit: Tempting fate.

Edited by Casanova

Well, of course, this was all way before the whole concept of Gerald, Maria, etc was even dreamed up. Eggman didn't have much of a history and I'm sure the people responsible just figured any old 'smart guy' title would be okay and that 'professor' and 'doctor' were interchangable.
Speaking of, I've always wondered where Eggman got his doctorate. Considering Spagonia U is the only college known in Sonic's world, I'm assuming that.

I remember seeing the "Professor Robotnik" badge last year on E-Bay, and I was thinking of bidding on it.

Which reminds me of the Sonic X comic (#11) where current Eggman makes a sprite based off of his dear old grandfather that is the Mega Drive version. Hello, retcon.

Something tells me that Robotnik/ Tails picture going to be floating around in a lot of PINGAS jokes from now on. Oh the scourge you have released upon us my dear friend. :P

bjbadge.jpg

This made me think of another picture (not Sonic related), and it may apply to what people are saying about this picture.

a_dirty_mind.jpg

In all seriousness, all those badges are awesome. I wouldn't care if it looked sick (see above quote), because it's Sonic merchandise. And not JUST any Sonic merchandise, but good and wearable Sonic merchandise.

Hmm. Was this based off the game gear Sonic 2? Because Tails got abducted by Professor Robotnik in that version.

Holy shit, Proffesor Robotnik XD. Good lord the positioning on the Tails and Robotnik and Tails and Sonic badges are dodgy, those almost look like something you'd have found at Sonic Passion XD. The one that shows Sonic running around the badge with afterimages is awesome though. God I love the merchandise they made for Sonic 2.

The badge with Sonic and Tails looks like Sonic's sneezing because of Tails' tails to me.

O_O Eggman seems quite angry on that certain badge.

Thoses badges are awesome! But, as many have said before me, the Sonic and Tails badge, and of course the Eggman and Tails one, are disturbing as hell. XDD

Tails farted in Sonic's face lawl? And er..is Eggman about to punch Tails there, or is Tails thinking of going down on Eggy-sama?

Nuuuuu dirty images go away~

Anyway, they're still great though! Wish I had those. 8(

The worst part about the Tails and Eggman one is that there IS art and fic out there. Serious art and fic.

... each to their own, I suppose. *Gag* Still, that badge just looks very wrong and I can't believe no one noticed that during the design period.

... xD I was going to say "How did that pass through!?", in regards to that Tails and Eggman badge, but hey, I see a million people beat me to it. Also:

!!! This is EXACTLY the sort of stuff that I collect, and I am so insanely jealous right now :\ Arghhhh

You mean that these badges fit within the category of... everything evar? <3 XDDD