Awoo.

Eggman's humble abode

JezMM

Thought this might be a nice topic... What's your favourite grounded lair for the core of Eggman's operations? Which is your favourite representation of Eggman's style? And obviously why? The actual level design? The aesthetics of the stage? Music? Storyline?

Let's go through the ones from the main series at least:

Scrap Brain of Sonic The Hedgehog

Eggman's first lair was full of traps and seemed to be a large sprawling city almost. A suitable finale for Sonic and Eggman's first bout.

The mechanical zones and bad futures of Sonic CD.

The results of Eggman's true ambitions really come to light in this game, and really show off his complete disregard for nature at times, and judging from the depressing planet he creates in the bad futures of the Little Planet, it truly shows how misguided he might not realise he is with his ambitions.

Oil Ocean and Metropolis of Sonic 2.

Scrap Brain was kicked way out the water by Eggman's sea of pollution and absoloutely colossal factory in the second game. A whopping three acts in the latter zone made it a frighteningly epic slog that never seemed to end for poor Sonic.

Launch Base of Sonic 3.

As a change of pace, the (originally unintended) finale of Sonic 3 ended up being a very chirpy, summery construction site on a lake. I guess even Eggman needs a breath of fresh air once in a while.

Final Egg of Sonic Adventure

Eggman's first real 3D base was a complex tower of machinery, and a menacing one at that. Shame about the poor security on the entrance mind you.

Hidden Base and related zones of Sonic Adventure 2.

"Those fools will never find my hidden base here" or something to that affect is what he says as he enters the Sand Ocean, alas he was wrong, but here we got our first real glimpse of Eggman's twisted sense of humour. He can't just create a fake pyramid to hide his base... he has to create one with Eggman themed statues and hyeiroglyphs everywhere. Classic Eggy.

Circus Park of Shadow The Hedgehog

While he also had Cryptic Castle, Iron Jungle and Lava Shelter in this game, I think Circus Park is a lot more notable in terms of showing what kind of person Eggman is. He even went to the length of not only creating rides and games, but insisting Shadow try them out as he explored the level dispatching GUN's soldiers! While the android endings of this game left a lot of Eggman fans very upset, this fun level is an example of Eggman at his best and at least slightly makes up for those silly endings.

Aquatic Base of Sonic 2006

While not exactly Eggmanish, this was sort of an interesting final stage, and the fact that Eggman simply sort of took over the Soleanna labs by filling them with his troops and keeping his Egg Carrier in it for storage sort of amused me.

EggmanLand of Sonic Unleashed

Truly a fine level, even if people will only admit aesthetically, as Eggman finally achieved his ambitions in creating this place. The PS360 and WiiS2 versions were rather different too with the proper version of the game filled with crazy rides and brightly lit, not to mention Eggman's face all over the place. The Wii one was a little more toned down, and a lot more dark and gritty in the factory areas towards the end of the level, and during the Werehog stages. Both very interesting interpretations of Eggman's perfect city/theme park.

Just thought it would be fun to go through some of them... Remember we're talking about bases of operations here mostly, but if you just can't keep it in, feel free to mention your favourite flying creations of his too. I'm sure there are a lot of Death Egg fans here after all.

Edited by JezMM

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• SuperStingray

• Dr. Mechano

• Indigo Rush

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Eggmanland. It was a tough level, sure, but I think a lot of people overexaggerate its difficulty. But then again, I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought the Luigi Purple Coin challange in Super Mario Galaxy was easy. Regardless, I think it's mixture of a dark and dystopic setting with an ironically light-hearted carnival setting really captures Eggman's character in stage form superbly.

You know, looking at it, Eggmanland is sort of like a loose reimagining of Scrap Brain, isn't it? It's got the dark-yet-stunning crimson red outer city, it's got inside sections, many of which have colder and more sterile colours, and it's filled to the brim with traps. All it needed was a trapdoor leading to an aquatic cave/temple.

All it needed was a trapdoor leading to an aquatic cave/temple.

Well... a giant trap door leading to the centre of the earth was pretty cool too... even if it was a makeshift trap door via the Egg Dragoon's drill attack, lol...

Well... a giant trap door leading to the centre of the earth was pretty cool too... even if it was a makeshift trap door via the Egg Dragoon's drill attack, lol...

Haha, completely forgot about that.

I have to say though that stages like Eggmanland don't appeal to me. Throughout Sonic, Eggman has shown through bases like Final Egg, Egg Carrier, Pyramid Cave, Egg Fleet and more that he can create rather economic-looking, well-crafted bases, so why Eggman would create a monstrosity like Eggmanland (unless we're talking about his pollutophile cartoon incarnation) is beyond me.

I like Scrap Brain Zone and EggmanLand. The two do look similar.

I also really like Robotropolis, and his Tower in Sonic X and Aosth.

Eggmanland had its cool points, but it wasn't what I expected. I expected something slick and clean- You know, the type of place Eggman himself would like to live in. I just think the lava and already-way-too-rusty-metal-for-a-supposedly-new-base decor was a little overboard.

Still, my favorite has to be his pyramid base. The Eggman statues, murals, and sculptures were awesomely fantastic.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

By some place he would want to live, do you mean more along the lines of that white area, where Eggman was scheming in the SU cutscenes? ...where that sandwitch thing took place?

By some place he would want to live, do you mean more along the lines of that white area, where Eggman was scheming in the SU cutscenes? ...where that sandwitch thing took place?

Actually, yeah.

I mean, it makes sense that the factory portion of his base is rustic and somewhat drab, but I expected the main city/park parts of Eggmanland to be more showy and cleaned up.

Eggmanland felt like an Eggman base designed by Bowser. It was cool, but it felt odd in some ways.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Eggmanland felt like an Eggman base designed by Bowser. It was cool, but it felt odd in some ways.

I never thought about it that way, but looking back, you're exactly right. :lol:

"Hmm, what would make this look great? I know! Spikes, fire, and lava! And maybe...some more spikes, fire, and lava!"

I never thought about it that way, but looking back, you're exactly right. :lol:

"Hmm, what would make this look great? I know! Spikes, fire, and lava! And maybe...some more spikes, fire, and lava!"

Bowser would probably cause a minor catasrophe by accidentally eating one of the emeralds, lol.

I always picture Eggman as living in the Egg Carrier, for some reason. It's certainly equipped for it. (Overequipped, maybe. Remember in Amy's levels, where you snuck into the bathroom and there were, like, six toilets? What's the deal with that?)

I think that the lava sort of makes sense. He's got an army of robots and he needs a lot of steel somehow. And none of his, not even Bowser's for that matter, other bases had a demented amusement park based on his image (unless you count the pinball base from Sonic Spinball) so I think Eggmanland says a lot about him.

I love the Death Egg and it's gravitational playground bits and high tech machinery.
Yeah, I love those light tubes that go "bloop bloop bloop."

I think Eggmanland is a genius idea, but I've not played Unleashed, so I'll have to go for the original Scrap Brain. Tense, tight, difficult, varied between the acts, and just so much shit going on.

I'm sure Eggmanland would take it's place if I played it though, the 360 version looks fantastic if not demonic.

Master System Scrap Brain deserves mention as well for being all dark and grim (perhaps moreso than the Mega Drive one), and having the emotional yet tense music to go with it. I am still waiting for a remix of this in a game >: (

Edited by Semi-colon e

Definitely Eggmanland. It was a tough level, sure, but I think a lot of people overexaggerate its difficulty. But then again, I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought the Luigi Purple Coin challange in Super Mario Galaxy was easy.

Nah, I didn't think Luigi's Purple Coins was very hard either. I can see why some people think so, but it didn't keep me from beating it on my second try. I think that people just look at their objective, look at the time limit, look at the step-on-one-and-it-disappears platforms in the stage, and give up without a fight. It may be hard, but it's not as hard as it looks IMO.

On topic: I personally think that SA2's pyramid base was the coolest. Probably because I laughed at seeing a sphinx with Eggman's face on it. The good ol' doctor isn't very humble, is he? :rolleyes:

Scrap Brain has to be my all-time favorite in terms of gameplay. Particularly the first level, because it is the only level in Sonic 1 to have as many paths and they are all on top of one another, so the challenge is to see how far you can get on each path without falling down.

In terms of visuals, its a tossup between Eggmanland and Scrap Brain. The latter is possibly the best looking industrial complex and the former shows Eggman's taste for the over-the-top. It also is complimented by terrific gameplay that is (in my opinion) the best the Wii version had to offer in terms of Daytime stages... where it is a cross between a challenging level a'la Final Egg, and a dangerous race track a'la Rainbow Road (Bowser's Factory fits better but is too easy :o ). The Nighttime stages is rather fun in the conveyor belt area as well, offering some interesting puzzles and platforming situations.

I always loved the idea of the Big City/Robotropolis from the SatAM show and the comics. It was just so creepy and dead and soulless. Not at all fitting as a home for the games Eggman, of course. But for the version of Robotnik that I always accepted, it was perfect and made him an incredibly chilling villain, to live virtually alone in a place like that, virtually impenetrable, even by Sonic and co.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the famous Egg Carrier of Sonic Adventure? By touring the Egg Carrier, you find little bits and pieces of Robotnik's personality (His Chao Garden was on a nice private island with a huge missile lodging out of it, showing while Robotnik likes natural scenarios as well, he has to claim it as his own in some grandeur way.) down to his personal private abode (fold down bed, implicating the Doctor likes everything to be ergonomic and modern, relishing his space around him as well; mini fridge showing he has a little Wario in him as well. ;) ) He boasts a small library on his Egg Carrier which probably indicates two things: He has a bigger one at a private residence or that he works too much to bring everything with him, no doubt the Doctor with his esteemed intelligence is fond of reading (Sorry, no PlayGirl/ Playboy magazines stashed under the Murphy Bed, as that what the internet is for. :lol: )

And who could forget his "fun room"? Bright and bombastic in colour to reflect his personality, along with toys of many kinds, both childlike (Mini Egg hover-O-Matic/ Typhoon anyone?) and adult (slot machines. ) Here's guessing the man's stationary private residence would be loaded with all kinds of neat and bizarre stuff like a fanboy's room; loaded to the gills with toys, figurines, plushes, and books and games. (like my room.) Otaku's paradise. ;)

Then we have the pool. Yes, Eggy's pool. His superior swimming skills in Mario and Sonic Go to the Olympic Games weren't fraught for nothing. Yes we still see that twinge of egotistic charm at the emblem on the bottom of the pool (Robotnik is the Sun apparently; YouTube Poopers will get that joke.) but we also see a row of mechanical palm trees, trying to imitate the natural with the artificial. (And if I remember, a couple of inner tubes and beach balls.) Also in this category is his large aquarium that boasts both exotic and robotic fish species. And leading to the Hot Shelter is the bizarre and disturbing array of male sculpture torsos (hey whatever gets your motor running, Doc.) that greet you off of the elevator.

Oh, and who can forget the toilets. Sooooo many toilets. Sooo many bathrooms.

I really wish Sonic Team would continue with the level of input and interest in Robotnik's personal living spaces. After SA2, the personal things you would find in them dropped to a high percentage. That's how you could find out more about the man.

One thing, however, was Cryptic Castle in that godawful Shadow game. With Eggman as your guide, Cryptic Castle became more than a level, as he turned it into a personal living space of his choice and announces boldly with pomp (well any level with Robotnik as your helper became this.) He would get on you if you decide to be an ass and smash his furniture and vases. He would tell you not to "look down" on his private Chao nook. He would boast and rave and go into minute detail about the living space. God, how I miss that.

But aside from the Egg Carrier, his Pyramid base would have to be my favourite. Robotnik and ancient arts? Hell yes.

One thing struck me as odd, however. While all of the other monuments were obviously tampered with his grinning face plastered over it, only one seemed natural: The large column with him holding the lotus. Guessing someone at Sonic Team is privy to Egyptian symbolism or not, lotuses represent sex and pregnancy; which could be a ribald joke on how Robotnik looks like a pregnant woman with all of that belly fat. Ohhhhh, you cads. :lol:

Oh, if non-game bases are okay, then I also have to bring up Eggmanland from the Sonic OVA.

It was far more what I had in mind for SU's Eggmanland- The imagery in Eggman's honor is still there, but the city is vibrant, bright, and a generally swanky place to live. Fitting of Eggman's character, I'd say. I liked SU's amusement park angle a bit more than OVA's "normal city" approach, but the grungy state of semi-disrepair kind of put me off. Eggman can, and has, done better than that.

I'm sorry, but sonic jumping off a plane and in order to get to Eggman's base? That's gotta be the best base - sure it meant no Tails to help you cheat beat him in the next zone but it was such an awesome level, and the sky chase was awesome.

For me the Death Egg reigns supreme in terms of scale and epicness. But Scrap Brain will always hold a place in my heart for scaring the hell out of me as a kid with its orange sky and eerie music, along with a name that suggested lobotomies. Eeep. The Spinball volcano fortress was cool, because the cinematic really made me feel like I was taking on a tower of evil, in the face of the game's bad controls. The ARK impressed me as a kind of Death Egg II, or Death Egg I considering the plot. The Egg Fleet was lame because Robotnik's ships were always a means to something bigger, not the threat itself. A whole fleet of them also diminishes the awesomeness that was the Egg Carrier. They should have been called the Egg Armada, because that word carries much more power and flair. And most recently Eggmanland is one of the best, up there with Scrap Brain, and the finest Egg abode ever made. Bioware also deserves some credit for their Robotropolis-styled imagining of the ruined Metropolis in Chronicles. Looking at this list makes me realize Eggman is one of the best villains ever.

In terms of gameplay, my favourite base was the stuff in Sonic CD. Wacky Workbench is so amazingly annoying at all and in bad future goes far beyond my tolerance ゜∀゜

Otherwise Hidden Base for the amount of thought Eggman must have put into it to remain unindentificable :P

^ Hell yes. EggmanLand got half it's awesomeness from the massive golden Eggman statue out front, since it reminded me of that.