Awoo.

Best Super Sonic Stage?

Surge

It's close between Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. I'll have to go with SA2 because it's simple and fun and the ending feels more epic. It delivered more than say Sonic Unleashed or Sonic 06.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• JezMM

• Phos

• Saint Nathan

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the 3D games go, I'd have to go with Heroes. Metal Overlord was an epic character and actually a fair fight. I enjoyed the SA2 final battle as well, but at times the controls felt erratic.

And 2D games- Sonic Rush hands down. Too black, too strong indeed.

Final Hazard. Took me forever to figure out how to get through that bubble-spam thing he does when he's near death. Also, it was my first experience of him, so nostalgia might have something to do with it.

Nice Question:

For the 2D games, I'd have to pick True Area 53 from Sonic Advance 2. Reason being is that I adored that faced pace music and the distress knowing that someone's life is on the line. The first time I encountered that stage after enduring those painful special stages, which were kind of fun, it was a freaking blast, especially the way the earth was in the background. It felt really rewarding kicking Eggman's ass in that stage, also I died a lot, since I had no idea how to damage him at first.

Off topic: for some reason I still know every special ring location, if I were to play the game again, I'd still be able to collect all of the emeralds in a single shot =P

On topic:

For 3D:This one is a no brainer: Metal overlord from Sonic Heroes. The music, the thunder, the onslaught of attacks, truly brilliant.

The downside? Knuckles didn't go Super, Tails never did in the first place, Camera spazzed out a few times at first, and with all the plot going around Metal, you only saw him once.......

Off topic again: For some reason Instead of calling them"Chaos emeralds" I used to accidentally say "Chaos Eggrolls" xP

Edited by Jetronic

For the 2D games, I'd have to pick True Area 53.
A great and challenging boss, but I never understood that name. What's "true" about it? And are regions of space designated numerically as "areas" now?

Ice Cap Zone.
I C Wut U Did Thar.

In 3D, Sonic Unleashed hands down.

I'm not talking about that crappy Gaia Collossus fight with Sonic running around on it, no way.

I'm taking about when you acctualy BECOME Super Sonic. You fly though an astroid field with rockets being shot at you, with all the classic, nostagic feel of a 3D Doomsday zone, only to go NiGHTS style, and attack Dark Gaia's tenticle-thingys. You even have a fucking paraloop.

In 2D? Any level in Sonic 2. Seriously.

In 3D, Sonic Unleashed hands down.

I'm not talking about that crappy Gaia Collossus fight with Sonic running around on it, no way.

I'm taking about when you acctualy BECOME Super Sonic. You fly though an astroid field with rockets being shot at you, with all the classic, nostagic feel of a 3D Doomsday zone, only to go NiGHTS style, and attack Dark Gaia's tenticle-thingys. You even have a fucking paraloop.

In 2D? Any level in Sonic 2. Seriously.

I don't think that all versions of the game have that fight. I ended up

trying to get his shield down by attacking his tentacles. After that, it switched to the button pressing, (similar to the Werehog finisher), to finish him off.

It was totally disappointing for me.

Edited by Fangz The Wolf

Doomsday Zone from Sonic 3 & Knuckles is by far the best Super Sonic stage in my book. It's fast paced, exhilarating, and just plain awesome (especially for its time) - the music is incredible too.

I C Wut U Did Thar.

I'm not sure you did. Ice Cap Zone has a lot of momentum bits and such, as Super Sonic, you can send yourself flying all over the place and smash though all kinds of stuff.

Too bad it replaces the music.

Might actually come in second to Doomsday Zone.

On the 3D side, Perfect Chaos was alright. The others were pretty crappy.

The Moon Zone in Sonic Advance 1. To this day, it remains the only 2D Super Sonic-only stage I've ever beaten.

In 3D, I'll go with the Unleashed fight against Perfect Dark Gaia. Although if you count Sonic and the Black Knight's Excalibur Sonic as a form of Super Sonic, I'd say that would be better than Unleashed's final boss fight.

I don't think that all versions of the game have that fight. I ended up

trying to get his shield down by attacking his tentacles. After that, it switched to the button pressing, (similar to the Werehog finisher), to finish him off.

It was totally disappointing for me.

Same version dude.

You know how it starts off with Sonic flying through with all the boulders and shit flying at ya? Just, damn, that's a classic moment. The shield part was good too, but the QTE, yeah, coulda been... uh... not there.

It's the Wii version that has the Sonic '06-like final boss.

To date Adventure was my favourite, probably because Chaos was awesome, it was done in a flooded city and it was generally a lot of fun. Black Knight was also quite epic but I'm not sure if you can properly count that.

I thought Unleashed 360 had a pretty good Super Sonic boss, having to break a forcefield didn't seem to annoy me like it did a lot people, but it still could have been better I suppose.

Screw super. I prefer Hyper and any level from sonic 3. I'm unstoppable and Tails never keeps up soo it's twice as funny!

Sonic Adventure... well, I never managed to get to the fight (the robot's last stage is annoying), but it looked cool in Sonic X Orz

These days I'm lazy and prefer to play through the entirety of Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Super/Hyper (I play them seperately coz I like my Big Arm and non-medley End Credits in the middle).

For bosses...

2D would be Exception from Sonic Rush. Very cool.

3D would be Finalhazard and Perfect Dark Gaia.

Finalhazard: Totally epic because it's the first time you get to hear Live and Learn. All the other games either have their own seperate final boss music, OR you hear the main theme either in the intro or at other parts of the game. In SA2, you only ever heard the opening riff up til now. So when it burst into a full song and I was like "This ISN'T just the menu music!?" that was totally awesome. The boss itself is pretty good and difficult considering you're invincible too, if a bit fiddley towards the end.

Perfect Dark Gaia: In a perfect world, I'd combine the 360 and Wii bosses, but alas, overall I prefer the 360 one. I don't care that you never directly attack it yourself, or that the final bit is QTEs. The whole thing was presented so epicly I didn't care. Once again, the first listen of the music helped greatly with this. It's a fun boss to speed-run too, I take great pride in nailing all those snakes in one go without having to faff around due to one retracting when I manage it.

For the record, I think Unleashed's final boss would have been totally awesome if it could have gone: (360 Approach to Dark Gaia, Wii Rock-em-Sock-em with Dark Gaia, 360 Arm Run) x 3 + (360 Asteroid Field Flight, 360 Shield Take Down, Wii Battle Up Until the Final Eye, 360 QTE's to save Chip, 360 Final Eye Strike but a bit flashier somehow. I didn't really feel like I was going as fast as Sonic does in the following cut-scene in either version (though Wii breaks the mood by displaying your score anyway).

Edited by JezMM

Any level in Sonic 2 and 3 with Super sonic. Going through the stages at top speed and never looking back while Tails pops up every once in awhile is great. I do miss Hyper though.

Final Hazard has always been my favourite. The music blasts out and gets you all pumped up and the fact that Shadow and Sonic are working together nails it for me, after all the build up in the game to this scene it certainly delivered and the other characters egging you on just brings a tear to my eye.

Pefect Dark Gaia (PS2) I kind of wish I could have experienced the Wii/360 version of this battle but the PS2 version was definately a toughie. The main reason I love this battle though is because of the music, the Endless Possibilities instrumental is so upbeat that it made me feel strangely happy when fighting Dark Gaia (Well up until the anger kicked in of course:P).

The Doomsday Zone from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. To be honest I actually enjoyed playing all the stages in S3&K with Super Sonic, but Sonic 2's Super Sonic gameplay felt too sloppy to me. All of the 3D Super Sonic stages have been crap.

Best 2D one is imo Deep Core. It used the whole Sonic and Blaze thing well (unlike Exception, which was awkward as fuck), and had awesome music, as well as being fun.

Best 3D one is probably Perfect Chaos, the rest are pretty meh and FinalHazard is so cheap.

This is gonna be a hard one

1-DRAW: sonic Rush & Sonic Rush Adventure's Last Bosses: Icouldn't choose between them...they are both TOO FRIKING AWESOME! In Sonic Rush, you had to use both Super Sonic and Burning Blaze agains the Eggmans and they freaky-looking robotwith a really hard but challenging difficulty (specially in Sonnic's parts since reflect those beams needs good reflects). Still I would say it was Deep Core what I enjoyed the most, being diferent that most of 2D SS stages. An incredible theme plus Sonic and Blaze dodging energy blasts like a friking arcade space shooting game was great and really challenging. Pretty much my favorite Super Sonic Fight ever.

2- VS Finalhazard (Sonic Adventure 2): My favorite 3D SS fight, beating for a little bit to second place. I gotta admit...since I was little and I never got a super sonic stage in the old games...this was my first Super Sonic battle. The feeling of fly throuh space while a gigant monster/colony falling shooting lots of energy blasts and beams at you while you use both super sonic & Super Shadow to beat him AND having an epic theme like Live & Learn in the background....I found that pretty awesome. but I guess is the nostalgia thing and the fact it ended in such awesome ending that it beats by 1 point to third place.

3-VS Perfect Dark Gaia (Sonic Unleashed 360):This battle is just awesome. A kickass theme plus a good looking finalboss. Of course, the Gaia Golem parts can go screw themself (I liked more the Punch-Out like minigame from the wii version) since is when you use Super Sonic where the battle really shines. Dodging stuff while heading to the monster and then go al NIGHTS-style for beat the heck out of some tentacles is pretty good...and I dunno about you, but I like to finish things with QTE (Still the last punch could be a lot more awesome). Just by the fact tat you have to go through the whole crappy gaia Golem thing (i would loved that part if they could put at least something to DODGE while you head into dark gaia!!) and a anti-climatic final punch blocks this fight to become my number 1 SS 3D fight.

4-VS Perfect Chaos (Sonic Adventure): I gotta say that with unleashed and sonic rush adventure...this stage is one of the most original when it comes to setting. I mean, most of Super Sonic battles happens in space or the sky while this one happends on a flooded city, where you can see all the destroyed buildings and floating pices of road. The only thing I don't like about this fight is that sometimes P Chaos can be kind of cheap...specially if one of his tornadoes makes you lost a bit of speed making it impossible to climb all the way throgh his body too damage him.

4- VS Metal Overlord (Sonic Heroes): Kickass theme+kickass boss+Really fun to play. this could have been number 2 or 3 for sure if it wasn't for just one fact: When I play SS Stages I usualy want to feel that I flying around at great speeds or at least doging stuff at great speeds...that's something this fight lacks...while the sky background moves, you can easly see Super Team Sonic moves REALLY slowmaking both the dodging and moving around kind of lame..heck you could pretty much stand there waiting for baloons or blocking his atacks for get the team blast.

*I would like to make an special mention to Sonic Calibur battle, since I could put it as number 3 or 4 (Nice look, nice theme and a really good looking boss), but I duno if it counts.

To be honest, I've enjoyed almost all of the 3D Super boss fights. The only one I thought was exceptionally horrible is, of course, Sonic 06's. I mean, I loved the His World mix and the setting and boss was admittedly epic, but the gameplay was abysmal. Being forced to use one character at a time takes away the point of being able to switch between them and Solaris' attacks are either really cheap or really dumb.

^ Agreed. Unleashed's last boss was also a breath of fresh air as since Sonic Adventure, the final battles have progressively less and less scenery... Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were fine, but Heroes and Shadow were just... sky. At least Shadow had the 2D city below it but you only ever saw that when Devil Doom fell... And then 2006 comes along and the background is so basic it could literally be (and hell, probably was) an animated texture on the walls of a big sphere that the stage is set inside. It might as well have been a 2D background.

Tell you what I'd love to see mind you... a Super Sonic battle set at sunset on the ocean, with islands around... kinda like the background to the first Torando Act on Unleashed... That's what the finale to Rush Adventure should have been like mind you considering the piratey theme, but the volcano was pretty epic in it's own way.

Of course, if I really could I'd have a last battle set on land where you realistically go back and forth between super and regular gameplay...

I'd like to see a Super Sonic battle that has no set position; sort of like a battle keeps moving and sometimes you warp to new locations, sort of like Final Destination in the Smash Brothers games.

Edited by A Ham Sandwich