Awoo.

FANGAME --> Sonic Adventure SS (Discontinued)

LoseR

But what's wrong with the rolling..? I don't get what you're saying...

Feels like the friction's too high. Can't really get rolling unless it's on a really steep hill, and even then it's pretty weak.

This is Sonic Adventure 3 as Wooly truly imagined it guys, lets not judge his vision.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

A good start for a first prototype, obviously you can now start improving the mechanics with the feedback you have recieved

Somethings to think of would be what would be your unique selling point to this game and how will it stand out amongst others. Then look for feedback on that before you take it any further.

If your truly interested in making a game, start drawing up some level designs (dont need to be coloured) to match your story, not the other way round or chance of it not playing out as you intended.

With those designs you can then start work on custom level sprites, avoid using rips!

Post those up when you have the chance, and dont be afraid to spoil your story as this is probably the best place for it to develop.

I like what I see so far.

But let me ask you this: What makes your game different? What makes your game unique? What makes this the definitive article?

Put simply, why do you think your game will be THE Sonic Adventure 3?

This is Sonic Adventure 3 as Wooly truly imagined it guys, lets not judge his vision.

Actually, I wouldn't consider it Sonic Adventure 3 as I imaginded it, I would consider it a 2D version of what Sonic Adventure 3 would be. Also, most of it is constructive criticism, maybe it's a little more on the criticism side... but I don't care...

If your truly interested in making a game, start drawing up some level designs (dont need to be coloured) to match your story, not the other way round or chance of it not playing out as you intended.

I plan on doing this soon, but right now, I'm still doing some basic programming...

With those designs you can then start work on custom level sprites, avoid using rips!

I plan on doing this, just so you know, but I THINK there is ONE set of sprites I can use still... Which is actually an updated version of Angel Island (the stage), because I do actually plan on having this stage appear again...

...dont be afraid to spoil your story as this is probably the best place for it to develop.

I plan on 'spilling the beans' soon actually...

Put simply, why do you think your game will be THE Sonic Adventure 3?

Well, really, I plan on having the best possible adaption of the Sonic Adventure style in a 2D game, also, the OTHER SA3s really don't seem to be much but wanna-be Advances, and really don't actually have much to do with the Adventures at all... Also, I plan on working hard, to make this have a clever story, along with other things...

----------------------------------

*UPDATE!*

Tails is now programmed into the game...!

screenshot100.png

screenshot101.png

screenshot102.png

Edited by woolythehedgehog

Could you make the controls customizable or change Z to something like A or S? In Germany Z and Y are switched so it's pretty uncomfortable.

My only criticism that hasn't been said is that the passage of spikes at the end of that one level is a silly idea. I hope that's just for testing purposes - don't put that in real level design unless it's an optional thing - it's really clunky, I never made it through with full invincibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could you make the controls customizable or change Z to something like A or S? In Germany Z and Y are switched so it's pretty uncomfortable.

I plan to have customizable controls later on, but as of now I'm working things like character programming...

My only criticism that hasn't been said is that the passage of spikes at the end of that one level is a silly idea. I hope that's just for testing purposes - don't put that in real level design unless it's an optional thing - it's really clunky, I never made it through with full invincibility.

Yeah that's just for testing... That's NOT going to be part of the level design. All of the levels in the early build demo are just test levels, and not actual levels to be seen in the game...

*EDITED BECAUSE OF A FEW MINOR ERRORS*

*Quick Update!*

This here is a sketch I did for a possible level in at least Sonic's story...

sa3____bridge_level_sketch_by_woolythehedgehog-d3n4dqj.jpg

After the events of SA2, a party is thrown for the heroes... Sonic, Tails, Knuckles (Knuckles is currently returning the Master Emerald to Angel Island), Amy, and Eggman are all present. Suddenly, Metal Sonic breaks through the wall, and Eggman and Metal Sonic escape. Sonic quickly chases after him...

As soon as the cutscene finishes, we start up this level with Sonic. It starts out differently (how differently I haven't decided yet) but comes upon a bridge, which seems to still be in some construction... After this level, Sonic finds himself in an all new city...

*Quick update*

This update isn't actually about the game, but about a website, for the game...

Recently I decided to create an incredibly simple website for Sonic Adventure 3... The website has two main features, a blog and a members area. The blog is about updates on the game, but probably won't be updated as frequently as here, just because that's for more on official updates... The members area allows people to become a member of the 3 Team directly on the website, making it easier for me to keep track, and allows others to see who else is part of the 3 Team, as not all members collaborate with each other... It also allows members to message and chat with other 3 Team members easier, directly on the website. Those are the main features.

If you are interested helping me create this game, and not just give feedback, or just want to see the website you can visit it here!

*Update*

This update is on the final boss, so if you don't want to know about it don't click...

For the final boss, I haven't decided much yet, but I have decided on a few things.

1. The boss will have two phases. If you die, you are sent back to the start of the phase you are on...
  2. You do not have the emeralds collected when you fight the final boss, but you gain them through Phase I.
  3. In Phase I, Eggman is piloting a robot that has seven different methods of attack. (I haven't decided what kind of robot, or the methods of attack) Each attack is powered by a chaos emerald.
  4. In order to defeat Phase I, Sonic must collect 50 rings, and use the time stones to travel to the past (jump+hold attack button for a short bit), before the robot uses the emeralds
  5. In the past, Sonic has to reach an emerald before he runs out of rings, when he warps back to the past...
  6. Once Sonic gets the emerald, he warps back to the present, and the robots attack is useless...
  7. He collects the chaos emeralds this way, and Eggman escapes, only to pilot a robot into space, where Sonic goes super and chases him...
  8. Phase II starts, and I don't know what the robot is going to be like (feel free to give your ideas)
This (bolded area) is what I'm thinking about though... I made a sketch of two ideas I have for the past. I don't know if I should use one of those ideas, or a different one...

(Picture in spoiler because it's big)

final_boss-phaseI_pasts.PNG

So what do you think? Should I use one of these ideas, or should I use a different idea...?

Can't say I'm a big fan of the gimmick.

Seems like the "fight" could take a really long time. 50 rings is a lot, unless you're throwing tons of them at the player, and having to do 7 mini platforming challenges in a row just to get through phase 1...you could end up with a fight longer than most end-game stages.

I like the idea of Eggman having the emeralds, but I think it'd be better to go for a more straightforward fight and beat the emeralds out of the robot, rather than weird time shit.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't say I'm a big fan of the gimmick.

Yeah I suppose...

I do, since time travel with the time stones is part of the main story, want to incorporate time travel in some way into Phase I... but I don't really know how...

Yeah I suppose...

I do, since time travel with the time stones is part of the main story, want to incorporate time travel in some way into Phase I... but I don't really know how...

Hmm...

Can't you just use the stones in the same way they were originally? Y'know, good future/ bad future style?

Or, here's a thought, use them as part of the way to damage Eggman- the fight is either on a multi-route system with different time posts, or you give Sonic the power to actually alter time at the will of the player (if there's an obstacle in the way that looks current, head into the past before it was there, if it's an old wall, head into the future where it's crumbled, that kinda thing). This way, if Eggman puts up a particular type of shield or something, warp to the past to destroy it before he does so, causing him to put up a different line of defence... Or something.

Actually, that's way too complicated, forget I said that. But still, giving the player full control of the stones in their possession... That could be great in some of the levels to add a puzzle element to the platforming.

Perhaps you could use the stones in a similar way to the dagger in Prince of Persia, or Sonic's own powers of time and speed break in Secret Rings. The more time stones you have, the further you can rewind time, perhaps at the cost of rings?

Hmm...

Can't you just use the stones in the same way they were originally? Y'know, good future/ bad future style?

Or, here's a thought, use them as part of the way to damage Eggman- the fight is either on a multi-route system with different time posts, or you give Sonic the power to actually alter time at the will of the player (if there's an obstacle in the way that looks current, head into the past before it was there, if it's an old wall, head into the future where it's crumbled, that kinda thing). This way, if Eggman puts up a particular type of shield or something, warp to the past to destroy it before he does so, causing him to put up a different line of defence... Or something.

Actually, that's way too complicated, forget I said that. But still, giving the player full control of the stones in their possession... That could be great in some of the levels to add a puzzle element to the platforming.

Perhaps you could use the stones in a similar way to the dagger in Prince of Persia, or Sonic's own powers of time and speed break in Secret Rings. The more time stones you have, the further you can rewind time, perhaps at the cost of rings?

Suppose I could do something like that. I guess I'll just have to think about it more...

Well...I know nothing about making a game, but if you need something drawing, I will be more than happy to assist. :)

I can also pass on any ideas I have too. Although I'm currently dried out, but more ideas will start to flow eventually. *bows*

Well...I know nothing about making a game, but if you need something drawing, I will be more than happy to assist. :)

I can also pass on any ideas I have too. Although I'm currently dried out, but more ideas will start to flow eventually. *bows*

Hmm...? What kind of drawings? Logos, sprites, or other things..? If you want you can contact me on AIM "Wooly-san" (anyone else can to if they're interested...) if you want to talk to me easier about helping out with the game. Everyone is free to post their ideas here though...

In regards to all the people saying "Why call it SA3 if it's in 2D." Also, this looks cool.

Thanks, but honestly I think I AM going to change the name, but keep "Adventure" in. Something like "Sonic Adventure Side Scrolling" or something...

Thanks, but honestly I think I AM going to change the name, but keep "Adventure" in. Something like "Sonic Adventure Side Scrolling" or something...

Why not "Sonic's Adventure fanmix" or something? Just throwing out suggestions.

Yeah you're free to throw out your suggestions...

For now though, I'm going to call it Sonic Adventure Side Scrolling though...