Awoo.

3D Sonic games

Scar

The only boost that is needed is the temporary speed shoe power up first introduced in Sonic 1. It only increases acceleration and not top speed, does not make you invincible, is temporary, and there is no ridiculous gauge that needs to be filled by whatever silly method. Also it needs to be found in the level first encouraging exploration and there will be awesome music or just a sped up version of the level track playing when you get it. If you want gauges, speedometers, boost mode go play a racing game.

So if I want The Fastest Thing Alive to be fast from the outset, I should either be forced to explore for the ability to be fast or just give up on the franchise and play a racing game instead? Neither option sounds appealing. Indeed, the constant appealing to tradition by blindly reducing every difference between modern and classic gameplay down to its classic component without any rational regard for the positives and workings of the former system has never sounded appealing in the grand scheme of things.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think that the Modern style is rigidly defined as containing the boost, quickstep, slide and boost-corridors interspersed with blocky platforming section.

This literally encompass everything you do in the game. Oh wait, you forgot homing attack chains.

the jump from Unleashed to Generations is considerable

No it isn't, the only differences to the controls are a few tweaked values, and the only difference to the levels is now you can't just airboost to skip the bad platforming.

Certainly the improvement from Unleashed to Generations is much larger than the improvement of Sonic 2 of Sonic 1, or Sonic 3 and Knuckles over Sonic 2.

They didn't need to change the game very much because it already worked. They coded Sonic 1 using ASM with art they had to draw essentially pixel by pixel and they made a great game on their first try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that crossed my mind while being bored,

Iizuka's stated in multiple Generations interviews that he would like to continue exploring the classic gameplay and modern gameplay, or eventually try to merge the two of them into one.

My question is, with the modern Unleashed gameplay, how could that even be done? Would it be possible to make one gameplay style out of both Super Sonic Reaction Speedplay and momentum based gameplay? I know some hacks and such have tried to merge classic with the adventure style, but I've never heard nor seen anyone talk about ModernXClassic.

Maybe he was just bullshitting, but it would be incredibly interesting to see how they could pull it off.

My question is, with the modern Unleashed gameplay, how could that even be done? Would it be possible to make one gameplay style out of both Super Sonic Reaction Speedplay and momentum based gameplay? I know some hacks and such have tried to merge classic with the adventure style, but I've never heard nor seen anyone talk about ModernXClassic.

Take Modern Sonic, remove boost (or add Boost Mode or my boost idea above), replace with momentum, add level design to compliment. As in you gain Unleashed speeds through the environment instead of the boost.

The only boost that is needed is the temporary speed shoe power up first introduced in Sonic 1.

If you want gauges, speedometers, boost mode go play a racing game.

The only platformer that is needed is Mario that was first made in the 1980s.

If you want a platforming game, go play Mario. C wut I did thar?

Honestly, it's one thing to be critical of how and where to implement certain mechanics, but you don't get anywhere segregating them just because another genre (or game using my point) uses them. You might as well build from a vacuum of ideas. I can understand the boost being so dominating and I'd like something with more variety myself, but I don't see why someone else should play a racing game over a Sonic game that allows them to increase their speed at will, and it goes without saying that even with the boost there's more abilities at Sonic's disposal than just blazing like a race care.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only platformer that is needed is Mario that was first made in the 1980s.

If you want a platforming game, go play Mario. C wut I did thar?

I think the comparison falls apart since a genre is a very wide thing and one game/series can't possibly be expected to "fill" it, whereas a series generally has a much tighter focus and doesn't really have an obligation to provide things outside of that focus.

Not that I think "well go play a racing game" is entirely valid, either, but...

I think the comparison falls apart since a genre is a very wide thing and one game/series can't possibly be expected to "fill" it, whereas a series generally has a much tighter focus and doesn't really have an obligation to provide things outside of that focus.

Not that I think "well go play a racing game" is entirely valid, either, but...

I just wanted to point out how "go play a racing game" sounds ridiculous with a comparison equally ridiculous. I couldn't think of anything that would reach out as easily, but point taken.

I still got the message across either way.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

...replace with momentum...

What does that even mean?

Momentum isn't a......thing that can be added or taken away. Certainly you can't replace anything, let alone the boost, with it. Momentum is a property of mass and velocity. If you have a mass and you have a velocity, you have momentum. Momentum exists with or without the boost. Saying "you should replace the boost with (more) momentum" doesn't make any sense at all. Additionally, momentum, inertia and all that does exist in Generations, Unleashed and Colours. Momentum wasn't exclusive the classics.

The games are merely designed differently, momentum isn't the problem.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but that word is thrown around far too much, most of the time without any kind of understanding as to what it actually is. So please, before you mention "momentum" with reference to the classics, please don't, because its wrong.

What does that even mean?

Momentum isn't a......thing that can be added or taken away. Certainly you can't replace anything, let alone the boost, with it. Momentum is a property of mass and velocity. If you have a mass and you have a velocity, you have momentum. Momentum exists with or without the boost. Saying "you should replace the boost with (more) momentum" doesn't make any sense at all. Additionally, momentum, inertia and all that does exist in Generations, Unleashed and Colours. Momentum wasn't exclusive the classics.

The games are merely designed differently, momentum isn't the problem.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but that word is thrown around far too much, most of the time without any kind of understanding as to what it actually is. So please, before you mention "momentum" with reference to the classics, please don't, because its wrong.

This is what I recognize as momentum in the context of a Sonic game. If when running forward you let go of the analog stick or d-pad, Sonic will not come to a stop straight away but will gradually slow down before coming to a halt just like releasing the gas pedal in car. Also the faster you are going the greater this stopping distance. In the games the stopping distance varies according to how the physics are programmed therefore Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic could be moving at the same speed but Modern would come to a standstill much quicker and have a shorter deceleration distance than Classic. Try this experiment out in the Generations hub. So in conclusion Classic Sonic is programmed to have more momentum (little fatso must weigh more than Modern)

This is what I recognize as momentum in the context of a Sonic game. If when running forward you let go of the analog stick or d-pad, Sonic will not come to a stop straight away but will gradually slow down before coming to a halt just like releasing the gas pedal in car. Also the faster you are going the greater this stopping distance. In the games the stopping distance varies according to how the physics are programmed therefore Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic could be moving at the same speed but Modern would come to a standstill much quicker and have a shorter deceleration distance than Classic. Try this experiment out in the Generations hub. So in conclusion Classic Sonic is programmed to have more momentum (little fatso must weigh more than Modern)

This isn't really a problem any more, nor should it be in the future. It was only a problem in Episode 1 of Sonic 4.