Awoo.

Help Stop Uganda's Anti-gay Bill

PeanutButterDimond

That was... I... I really don't even know what to say. I'll admit, I laughed, but only because of his phrasing ("EAT DA POO-POO").

What bothers me is that the same could be applied to sexual relations between a man and a woman. "SHOVE DA PEENEES IN DA VAJAINAH", and in the case of... stranger people "POOT DA PEENEES IN DA MOUTH. DO WE WANT DA WOMAN IN AFRICA TO EET DA SEMEN? DO WE WANT OBAMA TO TELL OUWA PEOPLE TO EAT DA SEMEN?". And for the record, this is coming from a guy who's 100% straight. I like girls, but now, it's about justice.

Signed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh for the love of- Could somebody ship a time machine to Uganda? They seem to be stuck in 1811.

By all means, take my fake name and real email adress, petition!

• Thumbs Up 1

Only just noticed this topic. Me and my wife both signed it, but looking at the update posted by Flyboy, the whole thing's over for now anyway. I can't believe there are still people out there that think people should be killed for being gay. It's ridiculous!

• Thumbs Up 1

Only just noticed this topic. Me and my wife both signed it, but looking at the update posted by Flyboy, the whole thing's over for now anyway. I can't believe there are still people out there that think people should be killed for being gay. It's ridiculous!

Not just people, but governments, too. In Africa and the Middle East, anti-gay laws are abundant. Some countries like the Mauritania, Iran, Sudan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the United Arab Emirates, and the Sharia regions of Nigeria already carry death sentences for those who commit homosexual acts (with others like the South American country, Guyana, carrying life in jail for males).

Here's the good old list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory

Edited by Attitude Adjustment

I wonder what they were able to sneak behind the scenes while everyone was freaking out about this. Because it doesn't look like they brought it up with any intent to actually pass it.

One of the guys from FTCR got this e-mail.

"Uganda's anti-gay law has failed! It looked sure to pass last week, but after 1.6 million petition signatures delivered to Parliament, tens of thousands of phone calls to our own governments, hundreds of media stories about our campaign and a massive global outcry, Ugandan politicians dropped the bill!

It was down to the wire - religious extremists tried to push the bill through on Wednesday, and then convened an unprecedented emergency session of Parliament on Friday. But each time, within hours, we reacted. A huge congratulations to everyone who signed, called, forwarded and donated to this campaign - with our help, thousands of innocent people in Uganda's gay community do not wake up this morning facing execution for whom they chose to love.

Frank Mugisha, a courageous leader of the gay community in Uganda sent us this message:

"Brave Ugandan LGBT activists and millions of people around the world have stood together and faced down this horrendous anti-homosexuality bill.The support from the Avaaz global community has tipped the scales to prevent this Bill going forward. Global solidarity has made a huge difference."

The EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs' Office also wrote to Avaaz:

"Many thanks. As you know, thanks to a very large extent to the intensive lobbying and combined effort of you, other civil society representatives, EU and other governments, plus our delegation and embassies on the ground the Bill was not presented to the Parliament this morning."

This fight is not over. The extremists behind this bill could try again within just 18 months. But this is the second time we've helped defeat this bill, and we'll keep going until the hate-mongers give up.

Transforming the deeper causes of ignorance and hatred behind homophobia is an historic, long term struggle, one of the great causes of our generation. But Uganda has become a front line in that struggle, and a powerful symbol. The victory there echoes across many other places where hope is desperately needed, showing that kindness, love, tolerance and respect can defeat hatred and ignorance. Again, a huge thanks to all who made it happen."

So it seems that this petition might of helped a bit after all. :) Thanks to everyone who signed. You people are freaking AWESOME!

I get here long after the petition is over and done with... I feel bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get here long after the petition is over and done with... I feel bad.

It's okay. No need to feel bad. :) Have +1 rep.